Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Babylon Astronaut posted:

He's complaining that the restaraunt he went to is too nice. What a putz.

Not even too nice, as collard greens and rib tips isn't exactly fine food. He's complaining that a restaurant had a description on the menu. So I guess yes, too nice because it had a menu he had to read and not pictures or number on a big board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

im on the net me boys posted:

I've been seeing a ton of this "abortion is infanticide" rhetoric a lot more prominently recently. Where did this come from? Like, specifically the word infanticide.

It's all about getting the thought into the people who aren't that informed about said laws that they are bad.... because if you actually read said laws they are more than slightly resonable and exactly what church groups were campaigning for before 1979. There simply ISNT a good faith argument that you can use against medical emergency late term termination so thence you need that kind of propaganda to get the raaaaage going.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Observer:

"Five Sundays to Brexit – A few short steps from Jacob Rees-Mogg to no deal"

Sunday Telegraph:

Owen Jones meets the naked anti-Brexit protester: 'We are a nation of prudes'

Matt:

Sunday Times:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

InsertPotPun posted:

No one grows up eating those foods and ends up this racist. I call horseshit.

Oh wait...black nanny?

Lol he's offended that a nice restaurant is selling "poor people food," but he's framing it as being offended at them doing the food wrong

What a snowflake

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Cloud Potato posted:

Sunday Times:

The tiny tiny hand :3:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s okay to just call boomers evil instead of trying to pin everything on mental illness.

Like, in many cases they aren’t stupid and are just self-centered fucks who will throw out stupid arguments because they know there’s an entire industry that will hold it up as legitimate.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
I thought the Stone Toss comic was some kind of ham handed anti abortion thing. It made sense to me when I read it, what can I say I'm tired. So it took me like a minute to change it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Did Asay die like the bitter old man he is yet?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Keep in mind the Stonetoss audience is just people who would look at a holocaust comic and reply

"kek, garillion"

All of his comics make sense to irony poisoned dumbos.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s okay to just call boomers evil instead of trying to pin everything on mental illness.

Like, in many cases they aren’t stupid and are just self-centered fucks who will throw out stupid arguments because they know there’s an entire industry that will hold it up as legitimate.

I think it is reasonable to wonder if there is a link between the rise of the FYGM political movement and an entire generation being exposed to lead gas fuses and lead paint for the entire duration of their early childhoods.

World Health Organization posted:

Lead exposure can have serious consequences for the health of children. At high levels of exposure, lead attacks the brain and central nervous system to cause coma, convulsions and even death. Children who survive severe lead poisoning may be left with mental retardation and behavioural disorders. At lower levels of exposure that cause no obvious symptoms, and that previously were considered safe, lead is now known to produce a spectrum of injury across multiple body systems. In particular lead can affect children’s brain development resulting in reduced intelligence quotient (IQ), behavioural changes such as reduced attention span and increased antisocial behaviour, and reduced educational attainment. Lead exposure also causes anaemia, hypertension, renal impairment, immunotoxicity and toxicity to the reproductive organs. The neurological and behavioural effects of lead are believed to be irreversible.

https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/lead-poisoning-and-health

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Somfin posted:

Lol he's offended that a nice restaurant is selling "poor people food," but he's framing it as being offended at them doing the food wrong

What a snowflake

To be fair I think his criticism is "this retaurant is too fancy, I want some simple comfort food why are you loving with quinoa and all the other fancy poo poo just give me cornbread and mac 'n cheese." Which I guess is better than "ew poor people food" but seriously lol just go find a no-frills diner or bar if you want it's not that hard old man.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Crazycryodude posted:

To be fair I think his criticism is "this retaurant is too fancy, I want some simple comfort food why are you loving with quinoa and all the other fancy poo poo just give me cornbread and mac 'n cheese." Which I guess is better than "ew poor people food" but seriously lol just go find a no-frills diner or bar if you want it's not that hard old man.

Tinsley is one of those people who actively searches for something to be offended by, and then gets angry when he finds it.
Or, gets angry when he can't find it and then lies and says he did so he can be mad at the strawman he built.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is only a 'problem' if you go to fancy restaurants because you're bougie now instead of going to your local country place or even Cracker Barrel or whatever.

I'm just a down-home simple man, I hate all this fancy schmancy gourmet cooking but I'll be damned if I'm seen eating with the poors!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

VitalSigns posted:

This is only a 'problem' if you go to fancy restaurants because you're bougie now instead of going to your local country place or even Cracker Barrel or whatever.

I'm just a down-home simple man, I hate all this fancy schmancy gourmet cooking but I'll be damned if I'm seen eating with the poors!

Collard greens, pork belly and short rib.

This is "squirrel appreciation day / rodent community" Tinsley we're talking about.

I don't think he's using the word "poors."

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Lol remember when Bill OReilly went to a restaurant in Harlem and was astonished at black people using silverware and having polite dinner conversation

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

To be fair to drunk duck I'm from southern Georgia and currently live in north Florida and have never in my life heard them called "collards". That doesn't, however, excuse his dumb "old man yelling at clouds" reaction to new information.

I'm from NC and my old man grew up in Berkeley County, SC; he and my extended family always just called them "collards." I suppose it's an area-by-area or family-by-family thing.

But yeah, definitely not a froufrou LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS thing. Tinsley's losing it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

VitalSigns posted:

Lol remember when Bill OReilly went to a restaurant in Harlem and was astonished at black people using silverware and having polite dinner conversation

Wait, really? That seems a bridge to far even for O'Reilly.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I dont know posted:

Does it? Dude is and has been hella racist for ages. Like, it's bad, but it's pretty on-brand.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I dont know posted:

https://www.mediamatters.org/research/2007/09/21/oreilly-surprised-there-was-no-difference-betwe/139893

quote:

During the September 19 edition of his nationally syndicated radio program, discussing his recent trip to have dinner with Rev. Al Sharpton at Sylvia's, a famous restaurant in Harlem, Bill O'Reilly reported that he "had a great time, and all the people up there are tremendously respectful," adding: "I couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patronship." Later, during a discussion with National Public Radio senior correspondent and Fox News contributor Juan Williams about the effect of rap on culture, O'Reilly asserted: "There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea.' You know, I mean, everybody was -- it was like going into an Italian restaurant in an all-white suburb in the sense of people were sitting there, and they were ordering and having fun. And there wasn't any kind of craziness at all."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jesus christ what the gently caress

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Somfin posted:

Jesus christ what the gently caress

O'Reilly is a loud ignorant racist sex creep.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Apparently the Tinsley cartoon might be a reference to a dish Harris had recently that attracted press attention.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I'm having trouble remembering the name of a comic that satirizes syndicated newspaper comic conventions like how characters fly backward in reaction to bad jokes or sweat weird gigantic drops of sweat. I remember it having some oblique political commentary, so I thought I'd ask here.

I seem to remember it being mostly 3 panels, and maybe only going for a few years. Help?

I thought it was Tom the Dancing Bug, but what I'm thinking of was mostly drawn in a very generic beetle bailey type style

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Discendo Vox posted:

Apparently the Tinsley cartoon might be a reference to a dish Harris had recently that attracted press attention.

Has that been two weeks? I think it's just a coincidence.

D.N. Nation posted:

I'm from NC and my old man grew up in Berkeley County, SC; he and my extended family always just called them "collards." I suppose it's an area-by-area or family-by-family thing.

But yeah, definitely not a froufrou LIBERALS LIBERALS LIBERALS thing. Tinsley's losing it.

Well, I grew up next door in Charleston County, and I think it could go either way. I think my grand-mother would just say "collards." My wife, from upstate, said it was "collard greens." Did you ever here that eating them on New Year's Day meant you'd get money in the coming year?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Riatsala posted:

I'm having trouble remembering the name of a comic that satirizes syndicated newspaper comic conventions like how characters fly backward in reaction to bad jokes or sweat weird gigantic drops of sweat. I remember it having some oblique political commentary, so I thought I'd ask here.

I seem to remember it being mostly 3 panels, and maybe only going for a few years. Help?

I thought it was Tom the Dancing Bug, but what I'm thinking of was mostly drawn in a very generic beetle bailey type style

It's Sam's Strip, being covered in the comic strips thread in BSS.

vvv d'oh, my bad- not sure, then.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 18, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Discendo Vox posted:

It's Sam's Strip, being covered in the comic strips thread in BSS.

Thanks, but what I'm thinking of is a bit more contemporary.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Riatsala posted:

Was it this?

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BriffitsAndSqueans

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Jesus.
Christ.

"They weren't acting like animals at all :haw: I'm amazed!

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Jurgan posted:

Has that been two weeks? I think it's just a coincidence.

Well, I grew up next door in Charleston County, and I think it could go either way. I think my grand-mother would just say "collards." My wife, from upstate, said it was "collard greens." Did you ever here that eating them on New Year's Day meant you'd get money in the coming year?

We got there here along with the eating a black-eyed pea for every day of the new year to bring luck.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Riatsala posted:

Super Fun Pak Comix? It is (or at least was) a subset of Tom the Dancing Bug.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

idonotlikepeas posted:

Super Fun Pak Comix? It is (or at least was) a subset of Tom the Dancing Bug.

This is what I thought of from the description.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Ted Rall posted:

We Need a Wall to Protect the Troops We Need Because There's Not a Wall

Now President Trump says he needs to build his border wall in order to protect the thousands of troops he stationed there because there wasn't a wall. What?

Tags: Donald Trump; border wall; illegal immigration; Mexico; emergency funding; incoming refugees; paperwork; civilization; logic; troops;

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013

I'm genuinely surprised, it doesn't seem like Stantis cares about Howard Schultz. I would've bet he'd be all about "None of the Above: The Candidate."

Why does he include random words from his comics in the tags? Like 'civilization' and 'paperwork.'

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

The last words rasping out of a parched and dying throat as the final remains of human civilization collapse will be "But her emails" then silence.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A good Rall?
Though I'm wondering when US troops started carrying sticks instead of rifles.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Whenever I read these my brain goes through three stages:

1. holy poo poo baby murder
2. oh yeah...they think of abortion as baby murder too
3. actually no they don't; no modern right wing policy actually compares it to murder, otherwise it would be the woman charged with it and the doctor only as an accomplice.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Feb 18, 2019

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Dog on the Moon: A meeting with the environment minister

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Tinsley making what he considers a "joke" about child murder in the regular-rear end funny pages

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
SMBC tried to be Bors today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Go gently caress yourself you rapist drunk duck