Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Surely :psypop: is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I did the first year of a hospitality program before switching to bio and one of my main takeaways was “you do not want to get sick on a cruise”

From the hygiene practices to the quack shipboard doctors to the bizarre medical, legal and ethical labyrinth that results from “in international waters, near Belize, doctor is colombian, company is british, captain is american, ship is latvian” situations

And of course you’re crammed into a limited space with loads of randoms from all over.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And of course you’re crammed into a limited space with loads of randoms from all over.

Their horrible horrible poopy hands smearing fecal bacteria all over the tepid lido deck buffet

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
You couldn't pay me to go on a cruise ship, yeah. poo poo's hosed up.

Wasabi the J posted:

The worst part for me, is the part that none of this is going to change.

I guarantee you nearly all those parts and pieces that were inoperable were all under some contract, removing the capability for repair and replacement from the operators and maintainers themselves, set up to line the pockets of some defense contractor.

And because our acquisition system is so broken, this will not change before humanity becomes extinct in a few generations.

:stoked: :killing: :stoked:

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011
Not the kind of story you expect to see from your local news...

https://www.cleveland.com/court-jus...nship-home.html

"Marcia Eubank shot 54-year-old Howard Eubank in his head June 13, 2017, before she cut up his body and placed his remains in storage bins throughout the home, court records show.

Howard Eubank’s son, also named Howard Eubank, found the remains Dec. 9, 2017, at his parents’ home on Linda Drive in Coventry Township when he forgot his keys and climbed into a window to get into the house. He found a crate covered in maggots and flies and took it outside, police said.

The son texted Marcia Eubank a photo of the rubber tote and asked what was inside, according to court documents. Eubank replied, 'It is part of your father’s body. The other parts are in the basement under two boxes in crates. Call the police and tell them I killed dad and stored his body. Don’t dig crates out let police do that. I killed him on June 13.' "

Other gems include the killer having researched “how to murder, what to murder people with, what poisons kill, and the effects of lye,” and using the deceased's cell phone to continue contact with loved ones to keep up the facade of him being alive.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
Speaking of news close to home, I posted about this elsewhere but one of the regular customers at my job got arrested for arson. Weirdly, it's been picked up by a lot of Massachusetts papers because she's originally from Boston. We're in Illinois.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2019/02/07/wheaton-college-student-charged-with-setting-fires-campus/ji6nMrv0L0nnPXbD0VwWcN/story.html

She apparently set a bunch of fires over about 2 months but didn't actually get nabbed until last week.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

fistful of hammers posted:

Howard Eubank’s son, also named Howard Eubank

Marcia did nothing wrong

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mister Mind posted:

Just guess what happened to the cop.

Gonna go with "nothing."

https://www.northjersey.com/story/news/bergen/hackensack/2019/02/10/hackensack-cops-can-come-back-work-judge-says/2829725002/

quote:

Five Hackensack Police officers who the city found guilty of unlawfully
breaking into an apartment building can return to active duty and will
retain their most recent rank, according to a judge from the state Office
of Administrative Law.
In a 59-page decision released Friday, obtained by NorthJersey.com and the
USA TODAY NETWORK New Jersey, Judge Susana Guerrero disagreed with the
city's termination of Justin De La Bruyere, Rocco Duardo, Joseph Gonzales,
Mark Gutierrez and Victor Vasquez for charges that included falsifying a
police report and unlawful entry into a Prospect Street apartment in 2016.

Lied on a sworn document, broke into an apartment, this is part of their record so they can't actually be useful as cops because they're so easily impeachable in court. But hell, fuckit, they get their jobs back.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Gum posted:

Marcia did nothing wrong

What?

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Excellent av / post agreement

The fact that my avatar invites this reply makes it very useful to tell when I'm being too morbid.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article223820240.html

Girl goes on a cruise with family, contracts a mysterious illness which explodes her face and blinds her.

This is a just punishment from God for being from Smithville.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

43 people have been freed from labour trafficking in Ontario.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...ocid=spartanntp

quote:

“These workers were sometimes left with less than $50 a month,” deputy OPP commissioner Rick Barnum told reporters. “One of the victims told us ‘Last night, I went to bed a slave. This morning I am a free man.’”

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

The Mighty Moltres posted:

43 people have been freed from labour trafficking in Ontario.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...ocid=spartanntp

Almost thought it was the order of the solar temple making a comeback for a moment.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://people.com/crime/man-allegedly-drowned-wife-hot-tub-closed-lid-on-her/
What the gently caress dude

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That lasagna recipe ad confused me

"This recipe has all the classic qualities of a comfort food dish from the cheesy ricotta to the smoked sausage flavor." Deputy Chief Todd Wolff told the Herald.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

How is this involuntary manslaughter if they have him on camera closing the lid on her?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I don't understand the involuntary part either.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

"This recipe has all the classic qualities of a comfort food dish from the cheesy ricotta to the smoked sausage flavor." Deputy Chief Todd Wolff told the Herald.

I got one for white bean soup and there is no way that was not intentional.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

How is this involuntary manslaughter if they have him on camera closing the lid on her?

a wife is basically property, like a tuba, and no one cares if we die

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I was caught murdering my tuba but got off with five years

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

Wife stew. :(

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Basebf555 posted:

My guess is that there isn't enough evidence to go for murder or voluntary manslaughter so that's all they can actually pull. Like he had to close the lid with the specific intent on making her die because of it but it looks like that just wasn't the case. That or they can't prove he meant to kill her. I'm not a lawyer of any stripe though so I'm just guessing.

Intent matters a lot for that sort of thing; it's pretty obvious his actions led to her death but if he didn't mean to kill her it's different than if he did it on purpose.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Feb 15, 2019

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

If you leave someone in a situation that could reasonably result in their death--especially moments after making or feigning an attempt at rescue, is that not enough? Law is so weird.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

If you leave someone in a situation that could reasonably result in their death--especially moments after making or feigning an attempt at rescue, is that not enough? Law is so weird.

No, it's not weird; there's a difference between accidentally causing somebody's death due to negligence and deliberately, knowingly doing something that will kill somebody. I don't think there's enough information to say either way and far as I know the law treats things that can't be proven as if they've never happened. So if they can prove his actions led to her death but can't prove that he actually intended to kill her then it's still manslaughter but involuntary instead.

Again I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for certain that's what's going on. I'm just a random internet dude guessing at poo poo based on my limited understanding of the law.

He may have thought "meh, she'll be fine" and according to the article they were also drinking, I guess so he may have been too drunk to understand what was going on. That probably matters for intent. That I think is the difference between getting drunk, getting in your car, and accidentally running somebody over and being sober, getting in your car, and deliberately running somebody over. In both cases you're guilty of doing something wrong but one is considered worse because it was intentionally causing somebody's death.

American law is based on common law where intent matters a lot. In the driving example one is a case of you did something you knew you weren't supposed to do and it made somebody die while the other is you deliberately killed somebody. If there's malice and planning ahead of time then it usually becomes murder. Deliberately, knowingly, and intentionally killing somebody is quite different than doing something negligent or stupid that causes somebody to die.

edit: Here's an article! https://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/manslaughter I haven no idea if this site is good or not so don't try to actually use it in anything legal but you know, you can still read it and poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Feb 15, 2019

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

I imagine his defense is, "We were just playing around! I didn't mean to kill her!" It might even be true. They can prove he meant to close the lid of the hot tub. They may not feel they can prove he meant that to cause her death. If he had put a padlock on it or something, I bet we'd be looking at a different charge. Either way: what the gently caress?

Pick posted:

Are you married?

Edit: Can tubas die?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Pick posted:

#tubavalvesmatter

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I mean it says that he's on camera "struggling" with her to close the lid, then when she "stopped resisting" he walked away and went into the house for 90 minutes before eventually calling 911. It seems pretty clear cut to me but I guess the actual tape must have some ambiguity in it.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

I mean it says that he's on camera "struggling" with her to close the lid, then when she "stopped resisting" he walked away and went into the house for 90 minutes before eventually calling 911. It seems pretty clear cut to me but I guess the actual tape must have some ambiguity in it.

I could be way off, and the scumbag might have obviously murdered his wife on camera. I'm just speculating on why they might seek an involuntary manslaughter charge over something else. In my experience, under-charging is not a feature of the criminal justice system in the United States. I imagine if they thought they could get more, they would charge more. Perhaps amending the charges is also an option.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I could be way off, and the scumbag might have obviously murdered his wife on camera. I'm just speculating on why they might seek an involuntary manslaughter charge over something else. In my experience, under-charging is not a feature of the criminal justice system in the United States. I imagine if they thought they could get more, they would charge more. Perhaps amending the charges is also an option.

Can't they convict of a higher crime if incriminating evidence is discovered in trial?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Wasabi the J posted:

Can't they convict of a higher crime if incriminating evidence is discovered in trial?

I don't think (but I am in no way an expert) they can do that for an in-flight trial.

They can probably petition the judge for a mistrial so double jeopardy doesn't kick in.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edit: Can tubas die?

Stop being a brasshole.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
The tuba in his question represents the wife -- in other words the tuba is just a cymbal.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slippery posted:

The tuba in his question represents the wife -- in other words the tuba is just a cymbal.

Dad! I told you stop posting here, this is my place!

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Proteus Jones posted:

Dad! I told you stop posting here, this is my place!

drat it kid you better take the trash out and make your bed or no posting for a week

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Unnerving if you want to listen to 100+ year old distress messages.

https://youtu.be/FxRN2nP_9dA

I feel bad for finding the Titanic operator's utter frustration with the Frankfurt at 48:38 to be grimly amusing.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Slippery posted:

:golfclap:

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Hey, thanks :)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nckdictator posted:

Unnerving if you want to listen to 100+ year old distress messages.

https://youtu.be/FxRN2nP_9dA

I feel bad for finding the Titanic operator's utter frustration with the Frankfurt at 48:38 to be grimly amusing.

From now on when someone is being incredibly thickheaded I will only respond with “FOOL. YOU FOOL.”

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Jr. posted:

This wasn't what spooked me, but in the article they mentioned someone hacking a news station and sending out an alert that "dead bodies are rising from their graves".

Late as hell on this but wasn't that audio clip taken from a Slayer album or some other thrash metal band?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

quote:

On Tuesday, Huska appeared in court and had his bail set at $10,000

That’s a crazy low bail too.

Maybe he was arrested with involuntary, but is going to be rolled up by the grand jury?

If the autopsy was just recently completed, they may have been waiting in those results plus the rest of the evidence to go for the bigger charges