Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

What is the Tetris equivalent of hiding in the bushes? I think it might be good to avoid attention by only clearing one line at a time when no one is targeting you but I have no idea how feasible a strategy that would be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I can appreciate that I'm in the minority of not liking how the Link's Awakening remake looks.

I'm glad people are going to enjoy it, and I still have the original to play myself. :unsmith:

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Everslain posted:

e: lol he placed 96th

What a noob lol

And he doesn't stack up the pieces to make chat nervous - it's so he can abuse combos and send a bunch of junk lines at the same time. (just in case you didn't know)

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I don't understand how people can hate the Link's Awakening look. It sort of reminds me of A Link Between Worlds look but given a better look. I never dreamed by LA being remade but now that we are here I can see why they chose that art style. I never thought Link's Awakening would get a sort of BOTW or TP "feel" because I don't think it would be right. I don't think Nintendo devs thought, "how can we make LA more like TP?"

I think the style they have for the gameboy games is stop on. I can literally see them doing the same for the oracle games later on.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i'm not sure i like the beady eyes but its cute outside that

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

a.lo posted:

I don't understand how people can hate the Link's Awakening look. It sort of reminds me of A Link Between Worlds look but given a better look. I never dreamed by LA being remade but now that we are here I can see why they chose that art style. I never thought Link's Awakening would get a sort of BOTW or TP "feel" because I don't think it would be right. I don't think Nintendo devs thought, "how can we make LA more like TP?"

I think the style they have for the gameboy games is stop on. I can literally see them doing the same for the oracle games later on.

Oh no, I'd never want a look like Twilight Princess, despite the fact that Link's Awakening is tied with Majora's Mask for darkest game.

I would have killed for a high quality sprite/pixel art style, kind of like the GBA games but with the Switch power behind them.

I fully confess I generally prefer sprite based art over 3D models, unless the game is explicitly going for a "realistic" look the hardware can power it; for example, I much preferred the GBA Fire Emblem games over the 3DS ones because the 3DS hardware couldn't power "good" polygons, and we ended up with characters with weird chibi bodies and stubs for feet.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Wind Waker experienced the same sort of backlash due to the artstyle as well. I guess most Western fans expect Zelda to be "gritty", "realistic" or "mature" and whenever they deviate from that, a backlash from some fans ensues.

But yeah, Link's Awakening general tone was one of whimsy with slight bit of...what would the appropriate feeling be? apprehension? dread? As the island's nature is revealed to you. The "toy box" look fits somewhat. I would have been happy with an Octopath Traveler look as well though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I like the way it looks but I'd like it more if they made a game that looks like the old artwork.

It'd be cool to at least have a filter that gives the game a more limited color palette like that. And a greyscale mode.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The appearance of the game is less important than the fact that other games are trying to innovate on the 2d (or 2d/3d) Zelda game concept and Nintendo isn't. It'd be cool to get a game that looks like this or slightly less Chibi but that had more advanced skill and other systems and tried to be an innovator in the space.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Zuzie posted:

But yeah, Link's Awakening general tone was one of whimsy with slight bit of...what would the appropriate feeling be? apprehension? dread? As the island's nature is revealed to you. The "toy box" look fits somewhat. I would have been happy with an Octopath Traveler look as well though.

I'd describe it as starting out quaint, almost whimsical, but it doesn't take long before you begin to realize something is off.

The game builds a kind of quiet, almost horror as you discover that the entire game is the dream of a demigod, and that while your only chance at escape is to wake said demigod, you have no assurance that "escape" means getting home. You could very well simply cease to exist.

Which is exactly what you discover will happen to every person you meet on the island. And they all know it too. They straight up state that they are all a dream of the Wind Fish, and that they definitely WILL disappear if he wakes, because they originated in his dream.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

People complaining about the Link's Awakening remake art style is really taking me back to 2002.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
woo 10th win in tetris 99

I just target attackers. When you hit them with a couple tetrises or combos they switch pretty quick if they know what's good for them. And I think you get a super attack boost if there's like 10 people targeting you? There's lots of shiny things anyway.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Bongo Bill posted:

People complaining about the Link's Awakening remake art style is really taking me back to 2002.

What a hot fuckin' take you have there bud :rolleyes:

Bashing Wind Waker was dumb because while the art was a departure from past games, WW was a brand new title and could set its own style.

Link's Awakening is a remake of an existing game, and it set the style for the handheld Zelda games until Minish Cap. Whether you like the new art style or not in a vacuum, you can't deny it is completely different from the original version both technically and in the tone they are shooting for.

Its like a bright toybox, which actually could make for a really neat take on a Zelda game, just not this particular Zelda game, in my opinion.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I had no idea this many people were still into tetris, but I love it (not tetris—your enthusiasm)

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wouldn't mind a remake of Zelda 2 some day.

Doesn't need to be anything fancy. Just something like the Metroid 2 one.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Shammypants posted:

The appearance of the game is less important than the fact that other games are trying to innovate on the 2d (or 2d/3d) Zelda game concept and Nintendo isn't. It'd be cool to get a game that looks like this or slightly less Chibi but that had more advanced skill and other systems and tried to be an innovator in the space.

Counterpoint: Wind Waker, even at however old is still more innovative and interesting than everything that has tried to stand on its shoulders.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

The blocks in Tetris 99 are far too whimsical and cute imo. They should have been more dark and gritty for such a cutthroat game.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Xisticide posted:

Mario Spikers and Metroid Dread were both "known" to have been cancelled.

Never knew I wanted a Mario wrestling game until now

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

What is the Tetris equivalent of hiding in the bushes? I think it might be good to avoid attention by only clearing one line at a time when no one is targeting you but I have no idea how feasible a strategy that would be

When starting off, I build up the stack leaving room for an I piece, but only clear it if I have garbage. I figure that you won’t be targeted for KOs, Badges, or Attacking at that point, and only need to fight off fandoms that are attacking you.

It’s also fun to wait until you have two I and an L piece, target someone near the top, then dump 11 lines on them real quick.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a frickin gameboy game
You crying about pea soup lmao

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Vakal posted:

I wouldn't mind a remake of Zelda 2 some day.

Doesn't need to be anything fancy. Just something like the Metroid 2 one.
Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?!! is basically a slightly watered-down Zelda 2 clone. It was definitely too easy but it did scratch that itch for me for a few hours.

Martman fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 18, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm a hundred times more interested in the LA remake with the unique art style they're doing than if they had just done 'pixels but like, nice pixels' like every drat throwback game does

RME
Feb 20, 2012

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

once the pool is small you want to be as close to 4 badges as possible, especially if youre not some tetris god because having those badges is your best bet by far to beat someone better than you

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm a hundred times more interested in the LA remake with the unique art style they're doing than if they had just done 'pixels but like, nice pixels' like every drat throwback game does

i know, art and opinions, but i'm genuinely bemused that anyone wouldn't like the style they've shown for it

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Annath posted:

The game would have been much better in a hand drawn/pixel art style, like Octopath (though skip the tilt shifting).

thank god you're not in charge of these decisions

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I like the way it looks but I'd like it more if they made a game that looks like the old artwork.

It'd be cool to at least have a filter that gives the game a more limited color palette like that. And a greyscale mode.

I am very glad they did not go with this look holy moly. The way the remake looks is basically perfect to me, what they showed so far shows to me they are translating it to 3D perfectly. Everything is small and cute and compact looking and seems to convey the sense of whimsy Link's Awakening had. I think I would be horrified if the remaster looked more like that artwork

Annath posted:

Whether you like the new art style or not in a vacuum, you can't deny it is completely different from the original version both technically and in the tone they are shooting for.

I can super deny that

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 18, 2019

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Bongo Bill posted:

People keep comparing it to the WW backlash from back in the day. When Windwaker was announced/revealed, I adored the style of it. The game looks amazing and it's aged better than all of it's GC peers because of it. My issue with the LA remake is that the art style does not jive with the slightly sinister undertones of the game. It takes that sort of wistfulness and drowns it out in these oversaturated colors.

Ciaphas posted:

i know, art and opinions, but i'm genuinely bemused that anyone wouldn't like the style they've shown for it

I don't dislike the style, I dislike it for that game

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I like it, aside from the eyes maybe. His eyes will probably look more expressive to me once I've seen more of it though, so I'm not really worried. Link's Awakening was a weird game and I'm prepared for the remake to be weird too

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

No, I'm pretty sure people will just always be mad about what an upcoming Zelda game looks like. It's like the seasons.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
If you ask me, Link’s Awakening shouldn’t have graphics at all. Make it a text adventure like it should have been to begin with. Graphics are for children, words are for adults.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Bongo Bill posted:

No, I'm pretty sure people will just always be mad about what an upcoming Zelda game looks like. It's like the seasons.

Bring back Oracle of Seasons (and Ages)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

it's almost like some kind of...pattern...or maybe a circle?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

404notfound posted:

Bring back Oracle of Seasons (and Ages)

And the cancelled third game

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I'd kill for a game that was based around Katsuya Terada's art; the stuff he did for AoL, LA and LTTP owns so hard.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

romanowski posted:

thank god you're not in charge of these decisions

I just feel like this style:

is a better match for the game's tone than this:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Octopath looks like crap

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I really like the new style, can’t wait to play it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Real hurthling! posted:

Octopath looks like crap

:goonsay:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mario became this weird homunculus and yet nobody is mad.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

liking an art style is subjective and everything but octopath actually makes my eyes hurt if i look at it for more than about 30 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Annath posted:

I just feel like this style:

is a better match for the game's tone than this:

No? It's consistent with the Gameboy style even. Look up the photographs Link gets throughout the game
Like I can't picture Eagle Tower or the super rooster or fighting DethI or sprinkling magic powder on the tanuki man in octopaths style