Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Octopath is ugly.

I wish they would have done some hyper stylized 2D HD spritework more in line with the intro cinematic, but I'm fine with the style. It looks really well pulled off, even if it's not what I wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

No? It's consistent with the Gameboy style even. Look up the photographs Link gets throughout the game
Like I can't picture Eagle Tower or the super rooster or fighting DethI or sprinkling magic powder on the tanuki man in octopaths style

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Rolo posted:

I really like the new style, can’t wait to play it.

It’s good. It matches the tone perfectly, since this is a game where you walk a chain chomp, give a big pink bow to another, make a raccoon sneeze, and lift a woman above your head in triumph. It was a cute game with an art style that matched, and continues to be in this new incarnation. If its original style didn’t detract from the perceived dark and gloomy mood neither should this one.

But I’m not going to play it because the walk speed looks unbearably slow!

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

liking an art style is subjective and everything but octopath actually makes my eyes hurt if i look at it for more than about 30 seconds

it looks a lot better in motion than in screenshots

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I hope they fixed the controls as having to juggle inventory between two buttons while interesting was also a hassle.

I also wonder what the Blaino fight will be like and if he's still a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
ff9 trip report: it's still really cool to be playing this ps1 classic in handheld mode on such a nice display even though I routinely play newer and (graphics-wise) better games on it all the time

i love my big dumb gay ps vita

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

American McGay posted:

Octopath is ugly.

I wish they would have done some hyper stylized 2D HD spritework more in line with the intro cinematic, but I'm fine with the style. It looks really well pulled off, even if it's not what I wanted.

Nah, octopath looks loving great

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Octopath's art style is reallybad for anything thats not an RPG and it sucked exploring dungeons and I am excited to play the LA remake because its a good game and I don't have rose tinted glasses with regard to bad gameboy pixels

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah, octopath looks loving great

Octopath looks fine but I have absolutely no desire to ever play another game that uses that art style.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

link's awakening should have used this art style

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

That star reminds me of Starfy...

I wonder if that's the dead franchise that people are talking about getting a revival.

EDIT: Chibi-Robo is also an option.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Calaveron posted:

No? It's consistent with the Gameboy style even. Look up the photographs Link gets throughout the game
Like I can't picture Eagle Tower or the super rooster or fighting DethI or sprinkling magic powder on the tanuki man in octopaths style

See, that's interesting. When I was a kid, I never really thought of the pics from the "photo booth" as being supposed to represent the game's "real" style, even though they were presented as photos. Like, for some reason I never imagined them as a snapshot of a cutscene, even though in hindsight that's what they were intended to be.

I just can't reconcile the imagery my mind created as a kid, with the way Nintendo is redoing the graphics.

I don't think people who like it are wrong to do so, and it's frustrating that when I say I don't like it myself, the reaction is to say I'm a loving moron etc.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zuzie posted:

I hope they fixed the controls as having to juggle inventory between two buttons while interesting was also a hassle.

I also wonder what the Blaino fight will be like and if he's still a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

i wouldn't worry, if they don't fix that it'll be unplayable and they've gotta know that

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Annath posted:

See, that's interesting. When I was a kid, I never really thought of the pics from the "photo booth" as being supposed to represent the game's "real" style, even though they were presented as photos. Like, for some reason I never imagined them as a snapshot of a cutscene, even though in hindsight that's what they were intended to be.

I just can't reconcile the imagery my mind created as a kid, with the way Nintendo is redoing the graphics.

I don't think people who like it are wrong to do so, and it's frustrating that when I say I don't like it myself, the reaction is to say I'm a loving moron etc.

You're opinion is bad

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Annath posted:

You're a loving moron, tbh.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

American McGay posted:

I wish they would have done some hyper stylized 2D HD spritework more in line with the intro cinematic.

This is what I was trying to say when I presented Octopath, because it was the most modern pixel-art-based game I could think of.

Really, sprites as hyper-detailed as something out of Metal Slug is my ideal, not the style just the quality/level of detail.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Annath posted:

I just feel like this style:

is a better match for the game's tone than this:

I don't? The game isn't a "dark force gonna end the world" 40 hour RPG, it's a happy rear end game until the later parts with the whole "waking of the Windfish" thing but it's all a dream. Octopath has a really cool artstyle but I don't think it would fit any Zelda title.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Said sinister undertones that were in Link's Awakening only happened near the end of the game. The rest of the game is a really wacky adventure with cameos from other Nintendo games and stuff like that. If you don't like the artstyle, that's fine, but saying it's too whimsical for the game or doesn't fit the tone doesn't really hold up.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

If the simplistic abstraction of the original game allowed you to conjure up dark images in your mind, then the simplistic abstraction of this game will do the same. Fear no more, Annath!

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Annath posted:

This is what I was trying to say when I presented Octopath, because it was the most modern pixel-art-based game I could think of.

Really, sprites as hyper-detailed as something out of Metal Slug is my ideal, not the style just the quality/level of detail.
Just because it's the word sprite doesn't mean it has to look like 8-bit / 16-bit pixel poo poo. I'm talking more like modern 2D spritework. Wario Land shake it is a beautiful game using 2D assets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r_AYT1FUYg

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Annath posted:

I'm sorry Nintendo failed to consult your childhood imagination before deciding on the new art style. But you have to understand that them using this style was far more likely than them creating a completely new art style for this faithful gameboy game remake.

I'm not saying you or anyone else is wrong for disliking it, but I haven't seen many arguments against it besides "I personally do not like it" or the more common "This whimsical model/toy art style does not fit the dark and foreboding atmosphere of this wacky gameboy game." Wind Waker was cartoony and the final confrontation with Ganondorf was far darker than anything from noted Dark and Gritty Zelda Twilight Princess. Link's Awakening will be fine.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I would like it if more games adopted the hand drawn/painted style of Legend of Mana and Saga Frontier 2.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

American McGay posted:

Just because it's the word sprite doesn't mean it has to look like 8-bit / 16-bit pixel poo poo. I'm talking more like modern 2D spritework. Wario Land shake it is a beautiful game using 2D assets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r_AYT1FUYg

this looks bad sorry

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'm sorry Nintendo failed to consult your childhood imagination before deciding on the new art style. But you have to understand that them using this style was far more likely than them creating a completely new art style for this faithful gameboy game remake.

I'm not saying you or anyone else is wrong for disliking it, but I haven't seen many arguments against it besides "I personally do not like it" or the more common "This whimsical model/toy art style does not fit the dark and foreboding atmosphere of this wacky gameboy game." Wind Waker was cartoony and the final confrontation with Ganondorf was far darker than anything from noted Dark and Gritty Zelda Twilight Princess. Link's Awakening will be fine.

To your first point, if someone had told me they were remaking Link's Awakening, I would have assumed they would use something along the lines of the recent Fire Emblem games, just because they seem to be using that style a lot. I wouldn't have really liked it, but that's what I would have guessed. I wouldn't in a million years have guessed "The Legend of Zelda: Toybox Edition"

To your second point:

quote:

but I haven't seen many arguments against it besides "I personally do not like it" or the more common "This whimsical model/toy art style does not fit the dark and foreboding atmosphere of this wacky gameboy game."

Why does there need to be more? People are allowed to dislike something just because they dislike it, there doesn't need to be some deeper reason, and it doesn't need to be justified, despite how goons act. It's an opinion.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

it looks a lot better in motion than in screenshots

I played through the demo and it's the hardest I've ever gone from "I am excited for this game" to "I cannot play this game".

I actually kind of like the look more in screenshots, but when I play it I feel like my eyes are trying to focus but can't and it gets physically painful to look at.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 18, 2019

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I played through the demo and it's the hardest I've ever gone from "I am excited for this game" to "I cannot play this game".

I actually kind of like the look more in screenshots, but when I play it I feel like my eyes are trying to focus but can't and it gets physically painful to look at.

if it helps you're not missing out on much by not playing it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The very first thing you do in Octopath Traveler is turn off the godawful screen edge effects that make the game look uglier than it already is.

The second thing you do is realize its not really a finished concept.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

link's awakening is extremely good and the remake is going to be good

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So I just fired up Tetris 99 for the first time. What's causing like 3-4 people to immediately start targeting me before the game even starts? It's really frustrating because it's happened in like four straight games and I was only able to fight out of the constant lines being thrown at me one of the four times.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

CVagts posted:

So I just fired up Tetris 99 for the first time. What's causing like 3-4 people to immediately start targeting me before the game even starts? It's really frustrating because it's happened in like four straight games and I was only able to fight out of the constant lines being thrown at me one of the four times.
it's random or they are selecting you on purpose

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Annath posted:

I just feel like this style:

is a better match for the game's tone than this:

Imagine if SE cared about its FF remakes enough to remake FF1-6 using the Octopath artstyle instead of the lazy and ugly FFD edits for FF5-6, or the bad 3D of FF3-4. The spritework for FF 1-2 are decent too and they could/should have stuck with that at the least. Instead they went the cheap(?) route of of having FF5 and 6 get remade to look like garbage, and then did a 3D remake of Secret of Mana that was just amazingly poor quality.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please, good people, both games are very ugly in their own unique ways.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I'm excited for the new Link's Awakening, largely because I forgot 90% of the plot of the original.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

CVagts posted:

the tetris gods are challenging you; rise to their challenge and conquer olympus

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

IMO Bayonetta 2 is better from a weapon variety, fighting system, replayability point of view. There are post-game levels that are kind of challenge arenas that are really fun and varied and I liked trying to figure out what weapon combos would help me beat them.

I don't like the Hell aesthetic nearly as much as Robot Meat Angels, and fighting in Hell is a pretty cliched videogame location compared to Heaven. Also the story was less surprising just because Bayo 1 was such a surprise and a great followup to the attitude of DMC3

Wendell posted:

Are there other games it would have made sense to do it again for?

Not sure, but I do know Bayo 1+2 pretty much never went on sale on the Wii U because the store would probably explode trying to figure out how to combine the bundle discount with a sales discount. Steam used to sometimes give you negative savings on bundles because of stuff like this

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Brother Entropy posted:

if it helps you're not missing out on much by not playing it

You miss out on the phenomenal soundtrack, but there's other ways to listen to it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'd like the Daemon X Machina demo a lot more if the loving hud wasn't getting in the way in the middle of the screen.

Like, why did they think it was a good idea to attach the weapon ammo counts to the loving targeting reticle?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

One of my joycon sticks is drifting again. This is like the 4th time it’s happened.:bang:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Octopath looks great

Link's awakening looks great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
hey don’t tell anybody but the revived franchise is a dino crisis remake in the same vein as the resident evil two remake and it’s switch exclusive and it’s hosed up