Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Communist Bear posted:

"Let's go into a joint war with South Korea! Oh...also, give me all your great artist paintings while doing so. For safe keeping of course!"

The AI is hilariously bad at trade deals.

Yeah how am I being done a favor by going to war with my neighbor you don't like. If they actually were bribing me I'd consider it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is it normal to have to constantly re-invite your friends back into the game every 20 min or so? Is multiplayer supposed to be like this?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
So what's the deal with pillaging since the new patch? The amounts you get have gone from token amounts to hudrends and hundreds...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Me and a friend have a multiplayer game going, since he hosed around with his router and restarted and generally fussed with everything it's been running a lot better. The problem we have is that the map kinda sucks and some how pretty much no niter spawned on the map.

Is there a way for me to load this save in single player, edit in some niter and generally clean up the map a bit, and then re-load it into multiplayer for the next time we play?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Curious about something from the patch notes:

quote:

[ART]
All model updates and optimizations.
*Completely remodel all female characters.

Is this just the female units like great persons or did they redo all of the female leaders? And for what reason?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Curious about something from the patch notes:

Is this just the female units like great persons or did they redo all of the female leaders? And for what reason?
Dunno. Maybe they weren't underdressed and overchested enough for their marketing department. :shrug:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cardiff's suzerain bonus gives you 2 power from harbour buildings. The workshop of the world is powered 100% by fish, the most renewable resource.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Eff that. I just discovered something wild.

Liang’s Aquaculture allows fisheries.
Auckland’d suzerain bonus extra production per coastal tile.

If you have nice coastal cities set up, their food and production flies off the handle. Just rotate Liang to every city to build fissheries in every one and your oceans are basically extra productive farmland.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

So the dead sea just gets a lake name and isn't the dead sea I guess

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Marmaduke! posted:

So what's the deal with pillaging since the new patch? The amounts you get have gone from token amounts to hudrends and hundreds...

364 Science? Don't mind if I do!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Marmaduke! posted:

It now scales with era

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Mansa Musa seems, uh, kinda busted.

Just settle your cap in the middle of some terrible desert oasis with some hills and at least one production tile (forested hill works) for production then beeline your unique district and first trade route and you'll soon snowball to infinite money. For kicks put Reyna in as your first governor and soon you'll literally never have to build anything in your capital again :allears:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Is there a way to tell if I can build a national park before I dump the faith? Apparently barrier reef doesn't work?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

wazu posted:

It seems like there can be no justification for nuclear power plants. I hadn't really messed with them, but tried in this game and it's a Chernobyl incident about every other decade.

I had one but it wasn't so bad. They're absolutely great on science games because their science bonus is distributed like their production, and that 16 power in reserve is great when you're building lasers to speed up your rocket ship. By that point your city's production should be enough that maintenance only takes a turn or two.

I still hate the "nuclear reactors go boom" cliche though.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Is there a way to tell if I can build a national park before I dump the faith? Apparently barrier reef doesn't work?

a) glowing tiles with your Conservationist show where you can make a park
b) make sure the city isn't working any of the tiles and that a single city 'owns' all the tiles of the park

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Took my first game to the Industrial Era and holy moly that climate change acts fast. Three tiers had already been completed and a couple of districts in all my cities were swimming pools, with seemingly no way to mitigate it until I could research Computers. I was playing on Immortal and I suppose that means the enemy civs will necessarily be pumping out more CO2 earlier in the game by way of their super fast teching, but it still feels off.

I do like the natural disasters, especially volcanoes. They add character to the game. And I like how the expansion has basically done a pass on a lot of older systems and wonky things, like how you can now plant forests adjacent to lakes, the Dead Sea no longer provides fresh water, and the suzerain UIs have all been buffed to be generally useful (Monasteries, Alcazars, and the Olmec Heads).

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Unless something has changed, National Parks can only be on land.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

rantmo posted:

Unless something has changed, National Parks can only be on land.

Hmm I could swear I've had a park before with tiles in the water, with that 3 tile coast one.

Canuck-Errant posted:

a) glowing tiles with your Conservationist show where you can make a park
b) make sure the city isn't working any of the tiles and that a single city 'owns' all the tiles of the park

A is after I already spend the faith and find out there's no glowing tiles :v
Though I didn't know there had to be no citizens on the tiles too. I thought just no improvements

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Fleetwood Crack posted:

You're supposed to be using bombards, field cannons are really meant to attack units. It's a bit counterintuitive I know.

Yeah, it works better if you think of field cannons as anti-personnel. It's different from how ranged units upgraded to gatling guns in Civ V.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Super Jay Mann posted:

Mansa Musa seems, uh, kinda busted.

Just settle your cap in the middle of some terrible desert oasis with some hills and at least one production tile (forested hill works) for production then beeline your unique district and first trade route and you'll soon snowball to infinite money. For kicks put Reyna in as your first governor and soon you'll literally never have to build anything in your capital again :allears:

Lore accurate, tbf. Dude had so much money he messed with the economy of everywhere he stopped while on his Hajj.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
just checking in to ask if the CPU is capable of waging war in this one or no

this update I mean

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

There was a mod called more lenses that did this but GS broke it (for now).

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Hmm I could swear I've had a park before with tiles in the water, with that 3 tile coast one.

A is after I already spend the faith and find out there's no glowing tiles :v
Though I didn't know there had to be no citizens on the tiles too. I thought just no improvements

Nah, you can have citizens working it before you claim the park, they stop when you claim it. It's just no (non-road) improvements, and has to have...I think it's 3 Appeal or greater. The big deal you have to check for is that the same city owns all four tiles which means you have to go into the worker view to swap tiles.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Stefan Prodan posted:

this update I mean

It's better, but still not great

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Stefan Prodan posted:

this update I mean
Not really, not if you mean conquering a player's cities once walls are up.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Kupe rules, his music is mostly chill island time themes or really intense hakas, and some of my little warrior mans look like Maui :allears:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Stefan Prodan posted:

this update I mean

Do they actually fight, or flail their troops at each other better? Yes.

Can they take cities with walls? Sadly, no.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Do they actually fight, or flail their troops at each other better? Yes.

Can they take cities with walls? Sadly, no.

holy gently caress this problem has existed for like 4 years lmaooo

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm playing as Kupe, and granted I'm on an archipelago map by choice, but having access to ocean travel and the ability to start making a second settler right away really let me get an early lead. The culture bombing fishing boats is actually really good on water heavy maps too, lets you get to other water resources quickly.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The Maori are driving me nuts because I'm picky as poo poo and the everytime I think I've found a perfect spot there's some little thing wrong with it like making landfall and finding your 5 tiles away from the Zulu or it has bad district options so my "shopping" period goes on longer then I'm comfortable with.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Stefan Prodan posted:

holy gently caress this problem has existed for like 4 years lmaooo

Uh, buddy, I don't know if you noticed, but the most recent updated added floods to the game. Cut 'em some slack for not having basic functionality in place years after release.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Ms Adequate posted:

Lore accurate, tbf. Dude had so much money he messed with the economy of everywhere he stopped while on his Hajj.

To the point that on his way back to Mali, he borrowed as much money as he could, in an attempt to stabilize the economies he damaged himself.

Mansa Munsa had way to much gold.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So uh, is anyone else having next to no barb spawns?

They're not turned off because I find them on various other continents later on, but they almost never spawn on my home continent, even in Ancient Era.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Mansa Munsa is estimated to be the richest person who ever lived even by modern standards iirc.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

MarquiseMindfang posted:

They're not turned off because I find them on various other continents later on, but they almost never spawn on my home continent, even in Ancient Era.

My Inca games have been, frankly, drowning in them.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Are nearby CSes or AIs killing them before they spawn anything?

Cause I notice that's been a thing in many of my games so far.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It seems to be a bug where barbs don't spawn evenly across continents, so one might have none, and the other might have more, making up for the shortfall.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Who cares about global warming when one of the win conditions is to leave the planet?

Global warming is a bad mechanic because it doesn't effect any win condition. How does the world warming, and a couple of tiles flooding prevent one from getting any of the win conditions? Maybe if you put your only spaceport on the beach? You can completely ignore it.

But even if the global warming mechanic had worse effects, what exactly would that add to the game? Would it add a condition where everyone loses? Would it just hinder production to the point where victories took longer? There is nothing it could do to the end game that would make it matter in any way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's kind of intentional? If global warming suddenly affected some victory conditions but not others, there'd be no end of bitching about it. It's a cool mechanic to make the game more interesting as you streak ahead to your win. It's like complaining governors and build queues don't punish culture victories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Human Crouton posted:

Who cares about global warming when one of the win conditions is to leave the planet?

did they change that or is the space victory still just "set up an experimental mars colony"

disappointingly weak science victory imo