Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Lambert posted:

You can set the "don't restart hours" for 18 hours of every day. All ad options can be disabled. But to stop Windows from restarting even outside those hours, you need to download a tool that changes the active hours every hour to +1.

Nah, it's pretty good.

These two things are contradictory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Luceo posted:

These two things are contradictory.

I mean, it's not a problem for my usage but I can see it being a problem if you're running processing tasks over the weekend, for example.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Lambert posted:

I mean, it's not a problem for my usage but I can see it being a problem if you're running processing tasks over the weekend, for example.

I use Win10 on my work laptop, and it's fine, since IT mandates reboots and such. But I can't imagine the OS on my personal computer thinking it gets to do that.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

tuyop posted:

I thought the problem was that interfaces and stuff need PCI slots.

What no, nearly every interface available today is USB 2.0. One or two are Thunderbolt (like mine, hell yeah) and some greybeards still use FireWire, but PCI hasn't been a requirement in forever.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Luceo posted:

I use Win10 on my work laptop, and it's fine, since IT mandates reboots and such. But I can't imagine the OS on my personal computer thinking it gets to do that.

It will never reboot while you're actively using it, only when it's idle for a certain time outside of active hours.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

What no, nearly every interface available today is USB 2.0. One or two are Thunderbolt (like mine, hell yeah) and some greybeards still use FireWire, but PCI hasn't been a requirement in forever.

It said that in the article. I don’t know anything about the wild and wacky world of protools.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Lambert posted:

It will never reboot while you're actively using it, only when it's idle for a certain time outside of active hours.

"I'll be late getting in the game, windows is installing updates again :mad:" - people I've gamed with

Yeah, I know, they don't have it configured properly, and I actually think it's a good idea that most people are forced to install updates. I'm just not willing to cede that level of control on any computer that I own.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

tuyop posted:

It said that in the article. I don’t know anything about the wild and wacky world of protools.

Wow, apparently neither do I. The interfaces I googled didn't even have analog inputs, what the hell is this?

And why the hell is Pro Tools almost a grand?

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Luceo posted:

I got around that by installing Windows 10 Pro rather than Home. Pro comes with more options for updates.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mark Larson posted:

I got around that by installing Windows 10 Pro rather than Home. Pro comes with more options for updates.

With the next (April, 1904) version of Win 10 Home, you'll finally be able to pause updates for up to 7 days. That would get rid of the "need to run a longer task over the weekend while I'm away" situation that requires a reboot blocker currently on Home (Pro already has that functionality and allows for pausing up to 35 days).

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Feb 12, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Lambert posted:

It’ll certainly reboot the machine while you have something open, say Notepad with some stuff you were working on, without thinking maybe it could save the file prior to closing it though.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Are you guys aware of any issues with the Magic Trackpad 2? IT at work dug up a first-gen one when I asked about procuring one, and I've generally enjoyed using it. However, I discovered a few days later that it suffers from a common issue of one of the springs being weakened to the point that the trackpad often gets stuck in a "mouse down" position until you physically life the trackpad to allow the spring to reset.

I'm wondering if the Trackpad 2's have had any such issues before I drop $$$ on one :cripes:

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

IAmKale posted:

Are you guys aware of any issues with the Magic Trackpad 2? IT at work dug up a first-gen one when I asked about procuring one, and I've generally enjoyed using it. However, I discovered a few days later that it suffers from a common issue of one of the springs being weakened to the point that the trackpad often gets stuck in a "mouse down" position until you physically life the trackpad to allow the spring to reset.

I'm wondering if the Trackpad 2's have had any such issues before I drop $$$ on one :cripes:

My og trackpad had that issue but the 2 I replaced it with at release has been bulletproof. It has zero moving parts except the power switch, no springs or micro switches to gently caress up.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Yeah, I also wore out the original trackpad but the 2 is all force touch, it doesn't rely on any mechanical movement. The only thing that'd wear out on it is the battery eventually, but even then it does work wired.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
I think technically there’s a little motor inside the trackpad that fakes the clicking sensation. Maybe that can burn out? Even if it does though I think it’s still usable as a trackpad because it’s just there to fake you out.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
The "taptic engine" tactile feedback thing is probably quite reliable. It's a linear motor, so it has no bearings or brushes to wear out.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Huh never knew about the issue with the original one, I guess cause I rarely used the physical click.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

What are people using for a dock for a MacBook Pro 2017?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

What are people using for a dock for a MacBook Pro 2017?

Caldigit TS3 stuff works perfectly for me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

https://9to5mac.com/2019/02/17/apple-16-inch-macbook-pro-display-more/

Rumor mill says 16-16.5 inch MacBook Pro and 31” 6K displays coming in 2019

:unsmith:

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Caldigit TS3 stuff works perfectly for me.

I’m seconding this. I bought a TS3 when I bought my 2018 MBP and it works perfectly. The dock comes with a TB3 cable, too, which I wasn’t expecting, so I was up and running in no time with a 4K monitor, 2K monitor, Ethernet, USB KB+M, and I still have plenty of room for expansion.

It’s one of the more expensive docks but after getting over that fact I’m glad I splurged for it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Can the 2010 mac pro not output 5.1 from its digital optical port? I'm not seeing an option to do so in Audio MIDI Setup.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Look in this MacRumors thread maybe?

tl;dr: If using VLC, activate the 'use S/PDIF when available' option in Prefs > Audio

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 18, 2019

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bob Morales posted:

https://9to5mac.com/2019/02/17/apple-16-inch-macbook-pro-display-more/

Rumor mill says 16-16.5 inch MacBook Pro and 31” 6K displays coming in 2019

:unsmith:

It would be cool if the big is good phone trend at least gave us a nice giant workstation MacBook Pro. If there aren't too many compromises maybe I will finally replace this late 2013 15"er. Guesses for the price point of the cheapest one in this group?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Binary Badger posted:

Look in this MacRumors thread maybe?

tl;dr: If using VLC, activate the 'use S/PDIF when available' option in Prefs > Audio

Doesn't seem to do anything at all for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

It would be cool if the big is good phone trend at least gave us a nice giant workstation MacBook Pro. If there aren't too many compromises maybe I will finally replace this late 2013 15"er. Guesses for the price point of the cheapest one in this group?

$2799

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

One more vote for the CalDigit TS3. Front-facing USB-C port is nice to have, and it has enough USB-A ports on the back that I could get rid of a hub that was tying up space on my desk. The ports were pretty much the differentiating factor between the CalDigit and some of the cheaper ones that ran maybe $50 less.

Also it's nice that the Apple Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter works both ways. My work laptop is a 2017 MBP and my personal one is a mid-2015, so with the adapter I'm able to use both on the dock. Especially happy about that because my desk had just become this eternal struggle of plugging and unplugging a bunch of crap when I wanted to switch laptops. I still have to plug the 2015 into power, but at least I don't have to plug in USB, ethernet, and DisplayPort too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The last 17" debuted at $2499 so this seems about right.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

The last 17" debuted at $2499 so this seems about right.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be flippant. I legit think that $2799 will be the intro price with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD.

(although they may surprise us all and have 16GB be the base with expansion up to 64GB) (still with 256GB SSD)

eames
May 9, 2009

The rumors also mention an “all new design” for the 16” . I worry that they are going to launch it as a low volume halo product to beta-test the new design before rolling it out to the 15” and 13”. I love the idea of a 17” successor but buying gen 1 never worked out for me. :smith:

Proteus Jones posted:

(although they may surprise us all and have 16GB be the base with expansion up to 64GB) (still with 256GB SSD)

With a little expansion door that has a 2280 M.2 connector in it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

eames posted:

The rumors also mention an “all new design” for the 16” . I worry that they are going to launch it as a low volume halo product to beta-test the new design before rolling it out to the 15” and 13”. I love the idea of a 17” successor but buying gen 1 never worked out for me. :smith:

Oh. Then OLED keycaps on a non-moving keyboard with haptic feedback. Add about $700 to my estimate then.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

eames posted:

Apple caved on giving the Mini its RAM slots in the 2018 models, but I highly doubt they'd allow off-the-shelf SSD's in rMBPs. They make too much $$$ on selling 256 GB and higher for a king's ransom.

Also, if this 16-16.5 inch MBP is Retina quality, it's a safe bet it's gonna have to have a dedicated GPU and NOT an integrated one.
What's it going to be driving, a 5K screen? Intel's iGPUs would be poo poo at updating that size screen.

eames
May 9, 2009

Binary Badger posted:

Also, if this 16-16.5 inch MBP is Retina quality, it's a safe bet it's gonna have to have a dedicated GPU and NOT an integrated one.
What's it going to be driving, a 5K screen? Intel's iGPUs would be poo poo at updating that size screen.

Intel announced some major iGPU improvements for the next Gens (performance, adaptive sync, etc) but you are still right, the iGPU would have a hard time even with some semi-custom CPU like they did back with Crystalwell. The small Vega chip shrunk to 7nm would be fine though.
Come to think about it, I know first hand that the new Mac mini has pretty abysmal GPU performance but supports 5K screens via iGPU, I wonder how that works out?

e: found links:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...z.336622.0.html
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13699/intel-architecture-day-2018-core-future-hybrid-x86/3

eames fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Feb 18, 2019

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

eames posted:

Intel announced some major iGPU improvements for the next Gens (performance, adaptive sync, etc) but you are still right, the iGPU would have a hard time even with some semi-custom CPU like they did back with Crystalwell. The small Vega chip shrunk to 7nm would be fine though.
Come
To think about it, I know first hand that the new Mac mini has pretty abysmal GPU performance but supports 5K screens via iGPU, I wonder how that works out?

e: found links:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel...z.336622.0.html
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13699/intel-architecture-day-2018-core-future-hybrid-x86/3

Honestly all I want is a Mac with a decent gpu. When my 2013 15rmbp dies if that doesn’t exist I’ll probably just build a dual boot hackintosh. My iPad does most of my mobile poo poo anyway.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Mac Minis have always had lovely iGPUs, with some rare exceptions.

I remember when all they had were Intel GMA 950s, the bottom of the barrel.

Interesting about the Gen11 iGPUs being.. halfway decent? But IMHO not gonna happen, the Mac Mini 2018s got a 2017 Coffee Lake architecture, at least two generations behind already if you count Cascade Lake / Cooper Lake releasing this year.

The Mac Mini 2021 might get them, going by what Apple likes to do as far as making the Mini for as cheaply as possible.

Also getting tired of Apple utilizing their screwy switching between integrated/discrete chips on MBPs, it's not well designed, Adobe keeps loving up with it, it continually causes problems to the point that there are hacks to disable the integrated, why the gently caress not just ignore it and stick with the discrete..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 18, 2019

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

These rumors make me want to buy an even cheaper 2014 13, and have it last till year two of the 13 inch redesign (1
4 inch screen, non terrible keyboard).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
My 2013 MBP has a slightly swollen battery, enough that it's difficult to click the trackpad and if I unscrew the lid nearest to the trackpad the bottom casing bulges out.

Here's my battery details:

Is this worth taking to Apple? Will they do anything about this, or just tell me to fork over the cash for an out-of-warranty replacement?

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 18, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Uh if the battery is swollen take it in or take the drat battery out.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Unless you're into burning your house down, do either of those two options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

eames posted:

Yeah never buy gen 1 so I think I'll be waiting over a year before I purchase the new design. Assuming they fixed the keyboard of course.