Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember there being problems within the Mormon community of tons of unmarried women because young men sent off to be missionaries kept loving off and never coming back.

Gender imbalance in the Mormon community, you say? If only there were a solution consistent with the life of the Founder... :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember there being problems within the Mormon community of tons of unmarried women because young men sent off to be missionaries kept loving off and never coming back.

You might have cause and effect reversed on this one.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

heck yea gonna move to utah and snag me a feisty mormon broad

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Platystemon posted:

You might have cause and effect reversed on this one.

The more 'traditional' mormon communities are a lot more pro-active in exiling boys that threaten the elders' harem selection.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Krankenstyle posted:

heck yea gonna move to utah and snag me a feisty mormon broad

Don't do it you'll be ambushed and killed

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

you dont have to tell me twice *starts packing*

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

We warned him that he couldn't handle extra spicy but he didn't listen.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Even the story is odd...

WASHINGTON — A man is dead after a port-a-potty caught fire in Baltimore, Maryland, Sunday afternoon, fire officials say.

Units from the Baltimore City Fire Department were dispatched to the 1100 block of Russell Street, right next to M&T Bank Stadium, where a man on fire was seen coming from a port-a-potty.

When fire officials arrived on the scene, three port-a-potties were engulfed in flames. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

https://wtop.com/baltimore/2019/02/man-dead-after-baltimore-port-a-potty-fire/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Someone just mashed together two episodes of X-Files season 1.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure poop is pretty flammable, especially when dry.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

What a lovely way to go.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Don Gato posted:

What a lovely way to go.

:frogout:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Don Gato posted:

What a lovely way to go.
You're fired

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Even the story is odd...

WASHINGTON — A man is dead after a port-a-potty caught fire in Baltimore, Maryland, Sunday afternoon, fire officials say.

Units from the Baltimore City Fire Department were dispatched to the 1100 block of Russell Street, right next to M&T Bank Stadium, where a man on fire was seen coming from a port-a-potty.

When fire officials arrived on the scene, three port-a-potties were engulfed in flames. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

https://wtop.com/baltimore/2019/02/man-dead-after-baltimore-port-a-potty-fire/

Was the man on fire rushing through each potty setting it on fire or was the fire in the porta pottys which then reached the man?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I like Fox News headline about it today better: Baltimore man burns to death after exiting port potty near M&T Bank stadium. Just makes it sound like he should’ve known better than to exit a porta potty near M&T Bank.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Nottherealaborn posted:

I like Fox News headline about it today better: Baltimore man burns to death after exiting port potty near M&T Bank stadium. Just makes it sound like he should’ve known better than to exit a porta potty near M&T Bank.

Should have waited for it to come to a complete stop.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Should have used the starboard potty

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

There's klingons on the starboard bowel

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/ScienceAlert/status/1097386076250034176

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That's some horror movie title poo poo right there

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Release us from our prison, Mortal. We wish to share the... wisdom lost to time.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Goober Peas posted:

There's klingons on the starboard bowel

shoot to kill, shoot to kill

dumb.
Apr 11, 2014

-=💀=-
(I stole this from Twitter) The name of this news site contrasts pretty harshly with reality

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Didn't vancouver have a big problem years ago with the Chinese buying every bit of property they could get their hands on?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Slippery posted:

It's worse than that he's dead Jim

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

Didn't vancouver have a big problem years ago with the Chinese buying every bit of property they could get their hands on?

No of course not that would be racist. Had a problem with foreigners buying every bit of property.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: wrong thread

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 00:20 on Feb 19, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Slippery posted:

Too many Klingons, too many Trills.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Facebook Aunt posted:

No of course not that would be racist. Had a problem with foreigners buying every bit of property.

Is that real though? It's drummed up here in Australia as a yellow peril thing but it turns out it's a very small percentage of property that goes to foreign nationals and is actually just rich locals buying it all up and using it as an excuse to get away with making housing even harder to get.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

jobson groeth posted:

Is that real though? It's drummed up here in Australia as a yellow peril thing but it turns out it's a very small percentage of property that goes to foreign nationals and is actually just rich locals buying it all up and using it as an excuse to get away with making housing even harder to get.

I can't speak for Vacouver, but it was a thing several years ago. The Chinese government limits how much liquid cash you can take out of China in a year, but you could get around that by buying property and other stuff.

Plus, it was seen as the "cool and hip" thing among the upper classes to have property.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://calmatters.org/articles/data-dig-are-foreign-investors-driving-up-real-estate-in-your-california-neighborhood/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/08/03/foreign-homebuying-rises-in-california-as-it-falls-elsewhere-in-u-s/

California has had a growing problem with foreign purchases of property driving up real estate costs. There's no laws against non-citizens owning real estate, so housing prices have shot through the roof.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Johnny Aztec posted:

the only reason it isn't a problem now is because they ran out of property to buy, they own pretty much the whole place

jobson groeth posted:

few people in that part of canada give a poo poo about living around chinese people. there have been chinese people there for decades and the people who gave a poo poo about that moved ages ago. the problem comes when you go to rent a place and 80% of the buildings will only take chinese tenants, and you can't buy a house because the prices have become completely impossible for anyone that isn't a chinese property investment company, which is who owns all of them now.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it's not a problem of foreign people buying up poo poo. it's a problem of rich people, some foreign, buying up poo poo. china's confluence of ccp restrictions and a lot of party-adjacent grifters looking to cash out means a lot of them are chinese, which unfortunately makes it easy to redirect anger at the ethnic group instead of the economic group

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
isn't rich people buying up "investment properties" and turbo-loving rent prices an issue in pretty much every major city now? it's for sure not just a Vancouver thing

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Very much so. The 'other' buying all the property is just a scapegoat. The rich are to blame and not a specific colour of rich.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
https://twitter.com/kcranews/status/1097618127096107010?s=21

:3:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

terrified of my bathroom posted:

isn't rich people buying up "investment properties" and turbo-loving rent prices an issue in pretty much every major city now? it's for sure not just a Vancouver thing

yeah but Vancouver has it the worst out of pretty much anywhere

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I like how Randa missed the Schadenfreude thread up there but no one pointed it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Samuringa posted:

I like how Randa missed the Schadenfreude thread up there but no one pointed it out

No one really checks which PYF thread they are in.