Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

JustJeff88 posted:

I completely empathise with not wanting to be associated with products linked to racists or what have you, but I adhere pretty strongly to the "No ethical consumption under capitalism" argument. So, no matter what I do, I'm still a bad person.

Isn't it possible that some consumption is unethical and some is even more unethical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Of course it costs more to be poor. How else would extract enough value from the masses to pay for your new yacht?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pseudanonymous posted:

Isn't it possible that some consumption is unethical and some is even more unethical?

Absolutely. "No ethical consumption" just refers to the fact that capitalism is a system of exploitation, you can have varying shades of shittiness on top of that (e.g. some people prefer Costco because they treat their employees as a subservient working class of humans instead of literal trash and that's okay)

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Stephen Denny published an interview with former Coca-Cola Chief Marketing Officer Sergio Zyman that stated the formation and subsequent failure of Tab Clear was a deliberate move to destroy Crystal Pepsi, capitalizing on the public's lack of understanding of Pepsi's heavily marketed product. Tab Clear was marketed as a diet drink, which were less popular than traditional colas, and the Tab brand in general was seen as an inferior product to flagships like Coca-Cola or Pepsi. With Tab Clear being placed in such close proximity to Crystal Pepsi, the image of both brands would be damaged in what Zyman called a "kamikaze" strategy. "This is like a cola," Zyman explained, "but it doesn't have any color. It has all this great taste. And we said, 'No, Crystal Pepsi is actually a diet drink.' Even though it wasn't. Because Tab had the attributes of diet, which was its demise. That was its problem. It was perceived to be a medicinal drink. Within three or five months, Tab Clear was dead. And so was Crystal Pepsi."

A marketing exec from a rival company is taking credit for the demise of Crystal Pepsi. That's great. However, it's not why it failed.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Wasn't Tab pretty good by diet soda standards back in its time? I remember getting it sometimes and thinking it was just another cola.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Republicans posted:

Wasn't Tab pretty good by diet soda standards back in its time? I remember getting it sometimes and thinking it was just another cola.

Tab was by far most popular diet soda of 1960s and 1970s. There was only one rival before it, the diet cola made by RC Cola. But it got big reputation hit in 1970s since the early artificial sweetener in it was, it turns out to be mistaken, linked to cancers. So it was made to carry warning labels for some time as were other diet colas and sodas, I believe most country did not revoke warning labels for this Saccharin sweetener until around 2000.

Tab then lost further status when Diet Coke comes out as replacement in 1982 and uses different sweetener that does not require warning label. It becomes something of a specialty brand where it was flagship diet soda before.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mostly remember Tab from 1980s Robot in that Muppets movie.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

QuarkJets posted:

Absolutely. "No ethical consumption" just refers to the fact that capitalism is a system of exploitation, you can have varying shades of shittiness on top of that (e.g. some people prefer Costco because they treat their employees as a subservient working class of humans instead of literal trash and that's okay)

Yeah this. It's not intended to be defeatist "well it's all bad and exploitable therefore i shall dine at cock bros magaside diner for breakfast instead of co-operative-ran food hut because it doesn't matter" but moreso you can never defend capitalism as somehow being "done right"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mr Interweb posted:

Are there any reputable studies that demonstrate the Amazon deal would have been a net benefit for NYC?

It almost certainly would have been a huge net gain, just not for the people who already live there. Amazon has already totally warped Seattle, and not in a way that is beneficial to people who are not servants of Lord Bezos. If I lived in the area Amazon was coming and didn't already have a 100k+ a year job I would be mad too.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mostly remember Tab from 1980s Robot in that Muppets movie.

Back to the future coffee shop scene.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My feet are 4e, my option for new shoes that cost under $50 is limited to ~$50 New Balances when they go on sale.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vaguely related, I bought some genuine ugg boots off Amazon and I'm amazed that they have construction like... actual boots. I know it was the fashion like 10 years ago to wear them out in public, but goddamn.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

RandomPauI posted:

My feet are 4e, my option for new shoes that cost under $50 is limited to ~$50 New Balances when they go on sale.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I just buy whatever they have at the shoe store, don't know about brands.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lambert posted:

I just buy whatever they have at the shoe store, don't know about brands.

Somewhere a 38 year old adtech middle manager just had a heart attack.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

RandomPauI posted:

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat.

Allow me to help

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
You have my sympathy. I'm just a single 'E', but I wear a 14US/13.5UK/47Euro in terms of length. It's not ridiculous, but it definitely limits my options. Keep in mind that I don't really give a toss about how my shoes look other than insisting that they be clean and not in tatters, but it still makes it significantly harder to find shoes.

I managed to get a pair of my favourite trainers for $12 at a Payless near here that closed recently and, now that the whole company is about to be vapour, I am going to stop at the two other stores in the area and see if they have anything.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

my feet are single E, suck it fatties

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

RandomPauI posted:

:same:

Will they last longer than New Balance? Bought a pair almost a year ago and the inside is worn out pretty bad, but still holding together.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Freakazoid_ posted:

:same:

Will they last longer than New Balance? Bought a pair almost a year ago and the inside is worn out pretty bad, but still holding together.

Insoles are cheap.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Lord_Hambrose posted:

It almost certainly would have been a huge net gain, just not for the people who already live there. Amazon has already totally warped Seattle, and not in a way that is beneficial to people who are not servants of Lord Bezos. If I lived in the area Amazon was coming and didn't already have a 100k+ a year job I would be mad too.

Follow up question: why is AOC being blamed for Amazon pulling out? I know she was opposed to it, but it didn't seem like she had much influence since both De Blasio and Cuomo supported the deal.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mr Interweb posted:

Follow up question: why is AOC being blamed for Amazon pulling out? I know she was opposed to it, but it didn't seem like she had much influence since both De Blasio and Cuomo supported the deal.

Because she threatens the status quo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm wondering what the gently caress I'm supposed to do for ideal foot comfort since I have one foot that's size 8 and another that's 8 and a half, apparently.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mr Interweb posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine she had anything to do with it other than getting people active and upset in a general way.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm wondering what the gently caress I'm supposed to do for ideal foot comfort since I have one foot that's size 8 and another that's 8 and a half, apparently.

http://www.oddshoe.org/

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

Because she threatens the status quo.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine she had anything to do with it other than getting people active and upset in a general way.

I'm aware of who she is, but AOC advocates for a lot of things that push things in certain directions but haven't had direct results yet. So i know she was against it, but again, the deal was supported by nearly every major democrat in NY.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Mr Interweb posted:

So i know she was against it, but again, the deal was supported by nearly every major democrat in NY.

AOC breaks conservatives' brains. She probably had little to no influence on it, but her opponents can raise money and attract support by claiming she did.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Freakazoid_ posted:

Asics for me have been just fine for the insole. Mine wear out on the heel because I slip in and out of them while they're still fairly snug.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Is this real that website reminds me of the 90's

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I haven't used it before but heard about it being a thing a few times.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I have one foot that's size 9 and at least 2E, and then one foot that's size 10 and normal width. Basically I just buy size 10 and try on a lot of shoes until I find one that feels decent.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Unless Amazon pay for a much bigger ferry fleet that connects say from Bronx/NJ to LIC, the added volumn on BQE and 7 train is going to make Queens commute 3 times more disastrous than it is now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Closed shoes and buy at the larger size.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Anything posted about many Walmarts going full self check, no clerk checks at all.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sounds like they'll increase their sales of fruit in the future while experiencing increased shrinkage with PlayStation 4 consoles.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

They tried doing the app purchase thing at my Walmart and while it was great for getting in and out they stopped it within 2 months because of all the theft it created. Between theft and dumb/old people that can’t figure the machines out I can’t imagine it lasting very long.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I don't order much stuff on Amazon normally, but when I tried to place an order yesterday, I was told that it was going to charge me $3.99 for shipping (I don't have Prime, btw). Is this a recent thing? I could have sworn they had free shipping before (the only issue is that it might take longer for it to arrive).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah the clerk said at that store theft had doubled in the last month with the trial stations 75000 to 150,000! She expected it to be worse with no clerks at all.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

BrandorKP posted:

Yeah the clerk said at that store theft had doubled in the last month with the trial stations 75000 to 150,000! She expected it to be worse with no clerks at all.

This is probably employees for the larger part anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

They cut their door greeters as well.

It's like they -want- shoplifting.