Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I agree with Bitch King, you're pretty clearly one of those creepy pizza delivery guys who thinks they're welcome to join the party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I was playing a werewolf game at a college potluck a while ago, it was fun. Don't recall what it was called, but it was a bluffing board game where people got assigned roles including one werewolf and you had to figure out who was the bad guy without murdering innocents.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Colonel Cancer posted:

I was playing a werewolf game at a college potluck a while ago, it was fun. Don't recall what it was called, but it was a bluffing board game where people got assigned roles including one werewolf and you had to figure out who was the bad guy without murdering innocents.

Was it a card game? I think that's derived from Mafia or something.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

Was it a card game? I think that's derived from Mafia or something.

Yeah sounds about right.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Werewolves Within

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Magnitogorsk. posted:

capitalism owns, unfortunately Monopoly does not

The game was invented by Lizzie Magie to "illustrate the negative aspects of concentrating land in private monopolies."

The idea was then stolen by Charles Darrow and sold to Parker Brothers repackaged as a celebration of wealth concentration.

:capitalism:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

my brother is addicted to buying boardgames, he keeps buying them and we play them once, usually kinda wrong and badly, and then he buys another before we get a chance to keep going. Like, i thought gloomhaven was fun and now he's buying all this warhammer 40k poo poo which i couldn't possibly wanna play

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Caesar Saladin posted:

my brother is addicted to buying boardgames, he keeps buying them and we play them once, usually kinda wrong and badly, and then he buys another before we get a chance to keep going. Like, i thought gloomhaven was fun and now he's buying all this warhammer 40k poo poo which i couldn't possibly wanna play

This is exactly the two people I know that are into boardgames. They both impulsively kickstart or buy dozens of these 2-300 dollar board games, play them once or twice and then move on to the next one. I'll enjoy one and want to play it again but they've already moved on before we had the chance to actually enjoy the last one. I'd probably be open to playing them more if it didn't involve learning a new game every time. Buying them is like crack to some people.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

Your brother is a horder. Can't wait to see his sloppy poo buckets on TV :mmmhmm:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i don't even want to know what his apartment looks like right now, gaudy boxes of bullshit everywhere and plastic warhammer frames strewn around with the stench of glue and sadness in the air

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

This is exactly the two people I know that are into boardgames. They both impulsively kickstart or buy dozens of these 2-300 dollar board games, play them once or twice and then move on to the next one. I'll enjoy one and want to play it again but they've already moved on before we had the chance to actually enjoy the last one. I'd probably be open to playing them more if it didn't involve learning a new game every time. Buying them is like crack to some people.

Searching for a nostalgia that will never come.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

wtf? Gloomhaven is enough board game to satisfy anyone for an entire year. your brother has a problem

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Sounds like he gets board fast.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I had a mate like that, he'd show up to the weekly board game night back in Uni every week with a new game. Some where lemons, some where great. Thing is, he whouldn't want to play the great ones again, because he was always in need of people to try out his 2-3 new unplayed games. All. The. Time.
He eventually curbed the habit a bit, got his own board game published (!), got a kid and slowed down. Last I checked he still had a multiple bookcases, spanning an entire wall, floor--to-ceiling with board games. It'd be an amazing library and an opportunity to be a hub for the community, but he's too busy now with kids.

Irony.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

veni veni veni posted:

I did that for a while and then stopped and then the packages came in and now I have enough board game poo poo for my life I think, just in like 5 games

Also more board games should be designed for easy setup and cleanup. I got this game Argent and it is really cool but also the setup is absurd.

Board games are so lovely about organization that there are companies who can stay afloat just selling replacement boxes and inserts for the games. Gloomhaven is the only game I've seen in that ~boutique board game~ market that has decent box organization.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Monopoly would probably be better with a kinetic 3D element added to it. Like you land on free parking, turn a crank and send your friend to jail by means of an elaborate plastic rube goldberg machine set up in the empty center of the board

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hell, everyone has phones or tablets these days, make a board with some tie-in app or something that does all the complex bits for you maybe. Or at least a fancy screen.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*
Someone convince me that getting into D&D is a bad idea and I should be shamed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

A Smoke Break posted:

Nah it's fun as hell if you aren't playing with idiots. Newest version is pretty solid and there are some ok modules for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A Smoke Break posted:

Have fun but if the first thing to greet you in the hosts house is a large painting of buff link, nude from the waist down bent over and presenting to you consider if thats your scene before getting too invested in your character

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

A Smoke Break posted:

It's a very bad idea if you're doing it with strangers but otherwise it's as fun or not fun as the people you play with.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A Smoke Break posted:

it's a real bad subforum don't go there

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

A Smoke Break posted:

I got into a group on roll20 a year ago and it was ok. Varies with the people you encounter if you play with strangers of course.

Also

Martman posted:

it's a real bad subforum don't go there

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
me, when kingdom hearts 3 came out: :geno:

me, now that fans are getting to the end and think it sucks: :yeshaha:

Ordeith
Oct 26, 2002

If I troll again, I will eat Hello Kitty's brains with a spork
Anthem is a fun game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Smoke Break posted:

Newest version of D&D was made with the help of an abusive rapist and huge bullying rear end in a top hat who's finally getting his #MeToo moment and the lead designer covered for him despite it being an open secret for years, and they're stripping the credits for ALL contributors from the books to try to cover it up. (said contributers also include a bunch of alt-right adjacent types and general awful people too)

That and D&D itself (especially the latest edition) is widely considered a terrible entry point for the tabletop roleplaying hobby, it's the RPG equivalent of Monopoly. All the groups everyone actually likes (like the popular streamers) either homebrew it heavily or move on to other, better designed games.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hell, everyone has phones or tablets these days, make a board with some tie-in app or something that does all the complex bits for you maybe. Or at least a fancy screen.

your trying to get people away from that poo poo for an hour or two. board games with apps are an abomination!

if people are on their phone to play the game 50% of the players are going to get distracted when some Twitter or Snapchat notification pops up over the game. gently caress that, put the phones away for board game night :colbert:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 18, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Just have the dude running the app be someone you can trust to put it in airplane mode

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Waltzing Along posted:

Monopoly is a bad game.

The last time I played was at a family gathering. After the game had devolved as Monopoly games typically do, one person suggested we all form a consortium so that everyone could win. Seemed like a great idea. All the liberals who were playing quickly agreed. The conservatives said no, there can be only one winner.

No wonder this country is totally hosed.

(The conservatives kept playing for 2 more hours after we all bowed out. No one ever won that game. Well, I mean, we won because we enjoyed the rest of our evening.)

What really confounds me, is that, YES. CORRECT. This is the correct and expected outcome of monopoly. It's not a bad game just because of the core mechanics of the game, but also because the intention of the game is for you to have a bad time. This is writ. It's not opinion, it's a fact that Monopoly is kind of like a joke game, it's like Desert Bus, it's like Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - Jazz, (Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold), its poo poo ON PURPOSE. This is it working. What has happened though, is that the company that makes it will only sell games to stores if they also agree to stock a bunch of monopoly. Since to have games on your shelf in a game store, you kinda need to buy from them, it means you're contractually obligated to peddle Monopoly. (It's almost as if..... etc etc.)

It's like if every year at Christmas, across the country, everyone got out an Uwe Boll movie (This is in a world where it is accepted as fact that he did make poo poo films on purpose as a tax break, just go with it for the sake of argument) and hated it, then the rest of the year said "Oh, I don't really like movies. I only really watch 'Alone in the Dark' at Christmas, you know." And it was the general consensus that movies are bad, and that you got idiot cunts saying stuff like "If you watch it in the original 4:3 format at 50fps it's actually good, I refuse to watch it any other way". NO gently caress OFF STOP WATCHING ALONE IN THE DARK FOR ANY REASON EVER THERE ARE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF GREAT FILMS OUT THERE FOR FUCKS loving SAKE.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 18, 2019

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

!Klams posted:

What really confounds me, is that, YES. CORRECT. This is the correct and expected outcome of monopoly. It's not a bad game just because of the core mechanics of the game, but also because the intention of the game is for you to have a bad time. This is writ. It's not opinion, it's a fact that Monopoly is kind of like a joke game, it's like Desert Bus, it's like Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band - Jazz, (Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold), its poo poo ON PURPOSE. This is it working. What has happened though, is that the company that makes it will only sell games to stores if they also agree to stock a bunch of monopoly. Since to have games on your shelf in a game store, you kinda need to buy from them, it means you're contractually obligated to peddle Monopoly. (It's almost as if..... etc etc.)

It's like if every year at Christmas, across the country, everyone got out an Uwe Boll movie (This is in a world where it is accepted as fact that he did make poo poo films on purpose as a tax break, just go with it for the sake of argument) and hated it, then the rest of the year said "Oh, I don't really like movies. I only really watch 'Alone in the Dark' at Christmas, you know." And it was the general consensus that movies are bad, and that you got idiot cunts saying stuff like "If you watch it in the original 4:3 format at 50fps it's actually good, I refuse to watch it any other way". NO gently caress OFF STOP WATCHING ALONE IN THE DARK FOR ANY REASON EVER THERE ARE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF GREAT FILMS OUT THERE FOR FUCKS loving SAKE.

sir this is a walmart toy aisle

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Are we still doing "nice meltdown" because :holymoley:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Pretty good meltdown, but it's hampered by the fact that's he's actually right for most of that.

So it's only gets a 5/10.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Ordeith posted:

Anthem is a fun game.

ive watched goons on discord arc from here to "actually anthem is really bad" over the last couple of weeks

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
The Dreamcast was a terrible machine and I wish I didn't waste $100 on it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sudbina posted:

The Dreamcast was a terrible machine and I wish I didn't waste $100 on it.

Sorry to hear you bought one without Chu Chu Rocket and a time machine to play it with 3 of your best friends.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

ive watched goons on discord arc from here to "actually anthem is really bad" over the last couple of weeks

I'm still legitimately unsure of how it's any different at all than Destiny except uhhh you have a jetpack and it's 3rd-person instead of 1st-person?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm still legitimately unsure of how it's any different at all than Destiny except uhhh you have a jetpack and it's 3rd-person instead of 1st-person?

Instead of it being so successful the company that makes it will get to break away from their publisher for the second time and pursue solo endeavors, it will result in the publisher taking the developer out back and adding them to a mass grave that would make the khmer rouge jealous.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It happens with like every single AAA release nowadays that everyone on the internet will assure you it's God's own game for exactly three months and then it will be completely forgotten.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barudak posted:

Instead of it being so successful the company that makes it will get to break away from their publisher for the second time and pursue solo endeavors, it will result in the publisher taking the developer out back and adding them to a mass grave that would make the khmer rouge jealous.

For BioWare? Might be getting to that time, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

destiny is bad