Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hi Sky F1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Williams have found a '09 style loophole and are hiding it for asking as they can...

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
meda 1144 is a really nice reporter, much better that their twat analysts

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The F1 contract should to go Channel 4 and it should be free to watch, that's my take

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Are there any third-party websites still doing more detailed live timing for testing? There were a bunch a few years ago and they'd show you stint length and stuff, it was really cool.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some fuckstick on sky: Nigel Mansell wasnt complicated*.

*He got so fat that he couldnt fit into the car

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
McLaren breaking down, which I guess is better than the Williams which didn't even show up.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

NtotheTC posted:

Also i feel filthy saying it but ferraris front and rear wings looks absolutely amazing

Sad to see you join the professional troll fake news brigade. I hope the EU had to send you a really big check

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
from reddit

I've spoken with three Williams personnel (two are trackside, one is factory based) and here are the facts about missing T1:

Parts were 'released' too late to be manufactured on-time and that's the only reason we're missing T1 D1. The missing parts are composite so they are possibly suspension or bodywork related but I wasn't told exactly...and didn't ask. When she/he said the parts were not 'released', they mean the part was not approved and sent out as a full scale model which is then taken to the composite laminators or machining group for manufacture.

Overall morale in the team is "low af". "We're being worked like dogs, treated like poo poo, and HR is a loving joke"

"We're often wondering who's in charge around here"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Williams should be shut down, and their assets given to the most senior team in the paddock, Scuderia Ferrari.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Imagine if Ron hadn't gotten fired and instead continued running McLaren for 30 more years. That's Williams.

Williams is the best possible F1 team that could ever exist?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Williams should've lobbied Mercedes to be their b-team for a few years, but they're too proud to accept they're going nowhere but backwards on their own

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Williams should be shut down, and their assets given to the most senior team in the paddock, Scuderia Ferrari.

Ferrari doesn't need the help to suck more, OP

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DoctorGonzo posted:

from reddit

I've spoken with three Williams personnel (two are trackside, one is factory based) and here are the facts about missing T1:

Parts were 'released' too late to be manufactured on-time and that's the only reason we're missing T1 D1. The missing parts are composite so they are possibly suspension or bodywork related but I wasn't told exactly...and didn't ask. When she/he said the parts were not 'released', they mean the part was not approved and sent out as a full scale model which is then taken to the composite laminators or machining group for manufacture.

Overall morale in the team is "low af". "We're being worked like dogs, treated like poo poo, and HR is a loving joke"

They just don't understand what their own livery is telling them. Williams is showing the world how technological advanded F1 is.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

I’ve spoken to my mates and birds at Williams and they are really excited about winning the WDC with one of the best liveries in history. They think that Paddy’s idea to sandbag this test was brilliant and everyone loves him almost as much as they adore Claire

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Im glad lamce stroll got away from the team that was holding him back all last year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

OhsH posted:

Im glad lamce stroll got away from the team that was holding him back all last year.

Yeah, this is looking to be as smart of a move as when Lewis ditched McLaren for Mercedes.

Get ready for 6 time WDC Lance Stroll.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

DoctorGonzo posted:

That's depressing, but not super out of place for how crazy stressful I've heard the motorsport industry is.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lance stroll won’t even ever win 6 races

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Tsaedje posted:

What's the one adjective to describe a man so famously dour, unresponsive and cold that he's nicknamed 'iceman'? I know, charismatic! :laffo:

Charisma doesn't necessarily mean an awesomely nice person. It's that charm/presence that inspires devotion from fans. Just look at other "celebrities" to see that charisma doesn't necessarily mean a "super charming person" - the Oasis brothers are great examples of this.

Kimi has got a legion of fans and is one of the most popular drivers in F1 - and is probably because his lack of emotive response and "down the line" way of talking (with very few words) is inspirational. People like that he doesn't give a poo poo, says it like it is, and just lets the driving do the talking. Which is why he's charismatic.

Charisma doesn't necessarily mean a Tony Blair style of smiley face and non-aggression. Nigel Farage is someone who I don't really like, but I have to admit he has charisma (how else does he inspire people?)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Extremely uncomfortable with McLaren doing a bunch of laps and only breaking down once. Expectations are skyrocketing.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Powershift posted:

Yeah, this is looking to be as smart of a move as when Lewis ditched McLaren for Mercedes.

Get ready for 6 time WDC Lance Stroll.

Im ready

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Old Grasshopper posted:

Charisma doesn't necessarily mean an awesomely nice person. It's that charm/presence that inspires devotion from fans. Just look at other "celebrities" to see that charisma doesn't necessarily mean a "super charming person" - the Oasis brothers are great examples of this.

Kimi has got a legion of fans and is one of the most popular drivers in F1 - and is probably because his lack of emotive response and "down the line" way of talking (with very few words) is inspirational. People like that he doesn't give a poo poo, says it like it is, and just lets the driving do the talking. Which is why he's charismatic.

Charisma doesn't necessarily mean a Tony Blair style of smiley face and non-aggression. Nigel Farage is someone who I don't really like, but I have to admit he has charisma (how else does he inspire people?)

:weasel:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Kimi doesn't give a gently caress about anything in a sport where people make a big thing about every little thing. That's why I guess many people like him. He is very talented, and he is basically the only driver fans actually believe when he says that he's in F1 because he loves racing and that's all he wants to do.

Reading his biography (which is rather bad, though) it made it quite clear that as soon as he understood that he is now financially safe for the rest of his life, he leaned even more into the "let's just have fun" part of the whole thing.

There was a recent interview in regard to him now beeing the guy at Sauber who has to lead the team and the younger driver, and his response was like "nah, I don't think that's what I want to do.....next question".

He simply doesn't give a single gently caress about all of the bad things of this sport, and still manages to drive the cars at the same or even faster pace than people who give a gently caress.

He's good, and he'll walk out of this show and still won't give a gently caress about anything, even about him retiring. And he won't destroy his brain in skiing, because he simply doesn't give a gently caress about that, too.

He's invincible.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

tuo posted:

Kimi doesn't give a gently caress about anything in a sport where people make a big thing about every little thing. That's why I guess many people like him. He is very talented, and he is basically the only driver fans actually believe when he says that he's in F1 because he loves racing and that's all he wants to do.

Reading his biography (which is rather bad, though) it made it quite clear that as soon as he understood that he is now financially safe for the rest of his life, he leaned even more into the "let's just have fun" part of the whole thing.

There was a recent interview in regard to him now beeing the guy at Sauber who has to lead the team and the younger driver, and his response was like "nah, I don't think that's what I want to do.....next question".

He simply doesn't give a single gently caress about all of the bad things of this sport, and still manages to drive the cars at the same or even faster pace than people who give a gently caress.

He's good, and he'll walk out of this show and still won't give a gently caress about anything, even about him retiring. And he won't destroy his brain in skiing, because he simply doesn't give a gently caress about that, too.

He's invincible.

He also sometimes doesn't give a gently caress about driving the car well also.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
He's exceptionally boring and the kind of dickhead who actively avoids giving anything back to the fans.

He's a 40 year old man still doing an aloof teenager act, it's sad.

But his legions of fans are slightly less stupid than the legions of Ferrari and Max fans, so I guess he's got that going for him.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

track day bro! posted:

He also sometimes doesn't give a gently caress about driving the car well also.

Ocon knows. That's why he has these reddish eyes, from all the crying.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Tsaedje posted:

He's exceptionally boring and the kind of dickhead who actively avoids giving anything back to the fans.

:colbert:

He gave a crying kid a hat! (after Ferrari told him to).

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 18, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

He's a 40 year old man still doing an aloof teenager act, it's sad.

But his legions of fans are slightly less stupid than the legions of Ferrari and Max fans, so I guess he's got that going for him.

It's weird that we've been posting together for well over a decade and I'm just learning you have the worst opinions

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I always thought the idea and concept that athletes owe something to their fans is dumb as hell. I’m not particularly fond of Raikkonen but I don’t fault him at all for being able to get away with everything but the bare minimum marketing aspects of his job.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Kimi is extremely smart, probably the smartest driver on the grid.

He's somehow convinced people to give him tens of millions a year for being the very definition of mediocre.

A couple of times a year he'll race really well, just to keep them on the hooks for next year's paycheck.

With Sauber he's landed the perfect gig because he can continue to get paid millions and put his feet up even more without the limelight and pressure of being in a team like Ferrari.

The likes of Lewis & Seb have to work really hard for their pay and are scrutinised for every little thing. Kimi just coasts his way to a few more million in the bank, like I said, Kimi is extremely smart.

I wish I could do what he does.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Is there a different thread where people aren't running around with half a smooth brain hating on kimi?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Khablam posted:

Is there a different thread where people aren't running around with half a smooth brain hating on kimi?

I can't spot one from the top of my ladder.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

1500quidpoocati posted:

I always thought the idea and concept that athletes owe something to their fans is dumb as hell. I’m not particularly fond of Raikkonen but I don’t fault him at all for being able to get away with everything but the bare minimum marketing aspects of his job.

There’s a soccer player, Benoit Assou-Ekoto, who was very clear he’s only playing for the money to set his family for life. A lot of people got all pissy about it but it’s refreshing to see someone be honest that they’d rather make millions than for some intrinsic love of the sport

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

1500quidpoocati posted:

I'm not a massive Kimi fan but I'd rather have him being a oval office all the time than someone who pretends they aren't because they took the driver media training course. Does anyone even still bother watching all those stupid fluff pieces before the race/quali?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would get piss drunk with kimi over having to attend some fashion show dressed like a loving moron like hamilton does

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

DoctorGonzo posted:

i would get piss drunk with kimi over having to attend some fashion show dressed like a loving moron like hamilton does

I bet Kimi would eat an Italiano

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

track day bro! posted:

I bet Kimi would eat an Italiano

dont talk about vore here

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a fan of haas jackoffs sponsors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
F1, the pinnacle of technical development smashes boundaries again:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pirelli-shiny-tyres-2019-changes/4339819/

"Yeah, Dave in the factory found out he could make rubber dead shiny. It's pretty smart, innit?"