Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Corbyn specifically is just being attacked for being anti-Israel, and I think he once used an anti-Semitic trope when criticizing bankers and apologized once he was told it had a second meaning. There's fair criticism of the Labour party for being too tolerant of anti-Semitism in their ranks, but the right-wing parties and UK media harping on it are real usual suspects who are incidentally supported by all the open nazis and white supremacists, which should be no reason for concern.

When did trope become the term over sterotype. Feel like I have never seen it used that way until the Omar stuff happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

yeah that's one of the things i found weird among uk leftists as a european, but after living here for quite a while i started seeing it their way- wouldn't trust this shower of poo poo racist government with id cards for gently caress

Why? Doesn't the government already know who you are for tax/healthcare purposes?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh? The UK doesn't have ID cards? So you have to bring/ show your passport everywhere when you need to identify yourself?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Why do they call Corbyn "Jezza" and May "Tezza"?Is this a weird British thing?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

SardonicTyrant posted:

Why do they call Corbyn "Jezza" and May "Tezza"?Is this a weird British thing?

Jeremy is Jezza
Theresa is Tezza

...it's not very complicated.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I thought Jezza was Jeremy Clarkson, now it all seems less interesting

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
people here use things like drivers licenses, provisional drivers licenses, or a passport. it's a bit weird but if the tories started implementing a national ID database they'd use it for things like flagging you up for travelling or opening bank accounts if you're foreign or the DWP thinks you're lazy

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Carlos Danger posted:

What's the problem with ID cards?

LOL have you seen this country? Especially in the Blair years they were continually leaving sensitive data on trains and poo poo. Combine that with the deeply unsettling love for monitoring by our government and I think the scepticism is well placed.

Also we were being asked to pay about £ 90 for it and gently caress flat taxes.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
...but an ID card is just a cheaper version of passport? lol this is blowing my mind

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

can't they just use your national insurance number? how is an ID card any different?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

oliwan posted:

Huh? The UK doesn't have ID cards? So you have to bring/ show your passport everywhere when you need to identify yourself?

No? I don't need to take ID to identify myself very often? Why would you? Haven't been asked for proof of age when buying bevvy in a decade and aside from applying for jobs I dunno when else I'd need ID.

The ID cards were going to have all sorts of biometric data on it, which is a bit different from the data held for the National Insurance number.

forkboy84 has issued a correction as of 16:59 on Feb 18, 2019

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
it's the prospect of the government having everyone's data in a single database that's upsetting

I found it supremely weird as well but they seem to muddle along well enough and i can use my swiss ID with no big hassle (except that one time years ago when morrisons didn't accept it for booze)

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
But a government database has nothing to do with having or not having an ID card, because an ID card is just a cheaper version of a passport?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

it's the prospect of the government having everyone's data in a single database that's upsetting

I guess driving is as ubiquitous there as it is in the US but still isn't there one nation wide driver's license database?

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Jose posted:

So their plan is to run in labour marginals which means they're expressly trying to gently caress over corbyn

where are you seeing this

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

oliwan posted:

...but an ID card is just a cheaper version of passport? lol this is blowing my mind

New Labour tried to introduce ID cards back in the mid 2000s and it caused a massive shitstorm.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It is extremely nonsensical to have (expensive) passports, but not have the option for a cheaper ID card instead.

edit: for instance, I dont have a passport because it's too expensive and I don't travel to countries that request it, so I go with the cheaper ID card instead :shrug:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

oliwan posted:

But a government database has nothing to do with having or not having an ID card, because an ID card is just a cheaper version of a passport?

The idea of ID cards is it lets the government collect more information about you. I tell the passport office where I live once every 10 years. With ID cards they could log every time I used it for something official, so every time I move job, move house, claim benefits etc.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oliwan posted:

It is extremely nonsensical to have (expensive) passports, but not have the option for a cheaper ID card instead.

edit: for instance, I dont have a passport because it's too expensive and I don't travel to countries that request it, so I go with the cheaper ID card instead :shrug:

ID cards can gently caress off in the UK, we don't ID people going into pubs or bars, so why the gently caress do we need them?

This annoys me about america 'land of the free' yeah but u need ur loving ID to get a pint, loving cunts.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/KeithSimmonds7/status/1097520474425360385

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

JFairfax posted:

ID cards can gently caress off in the UK, we don't ID people going into pubs or bars, so why the gently caress do we need them?

This annoys me about america 'land of the free' yeah but u need ur loving ID to get a pint, loving cunts.

uhm yeah we do?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

JFairfax posted:

In normal countries an id card is just a cheaper version of a passport, op.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

tarbrush posted:

The idea of ID cards is it lets the government collect more information about you. I tell the passport office where I live once every 10 years. With ID cards they could log every time I used it for something official, so every time I move job, move house, claim benefits etc.

This is the principal problem, yeah. It's why there are not universal ID cards in the US, either. And if you think that it's all moot because any government agency could just merge/join data about you from different ID sources across different jurisdictions, then just fuckin lol.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The US doesn't have a national ID card because we have 50 state ID cards, not because they're not necessary.

Well, technically theres the passport card but thats pretty useless.

captainbananas posted:

This is the principal problem, yeah. It's why there are not universal ID cards in the US, either. And if you think that it's all moot because any government agency could just merge/join data about you from different ID sources across different jurisdictions, then just fuckin lol.

Theres a "universal" one for each state though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Raccooon posted:

When did trope become the term over sterotype. Feel like I have never seen it used that way until the Omar stuff happened.

A stereotype is a presumption about individuals, while a trope is a narrative device, as I understand it. I've always used both terms. A stereotype would be comparing someone to the happy merchant while the Zionist octopus having a tentacle in every government on earth would be a trope.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Coohoolin posted:

uhm yeah we do?

erm, no we don't. I cannot remember the last time I got asked for ID buying booze in England.

maybe they just ID you in Scotland because you look like a massive oval office?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oliwan posted:

you think the UK is a normal country? do you know what thread you are in motherfucker?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I assume the ID you if you look 18ish? In the US because there are penalties on the retailer for selling underage people booze they ID loving everybody

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

JFairfax posted:

erm, no we don't. I cannot remember the last time I got asked for ID buying booze in England.

maybe they just ID you in Scotland because you look like a massive oval office?

https://www.wsta.co.uk/challenge-25

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

is this a loving humblebrag to say you look under 25 ?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

oliwan posted:

i use my driving license

but this is the problem with the idea

forkboy84 posted:

The ID cards were going to have all sorts of biometric data on it, which is a bit different from the data held for the National Insurance number.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
could someone tell the uk that you can have ID cards without coupling them to a database

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

you can but new labour were authoritarian as gently caress which is why everyone hated the idea and it was going to cost some insane amount of money

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

oliwan posted:

They don’t want your chlorinated, globalist cards. Try to be logical.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/644428141302255616

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

oliwan posted:

could someone tell the uk that you can have ID cards without coupling them to a database

LOL

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

JFairfax posted:

is this a loving humblebrag to say you look under 25 ?

no you loving idiot it's that there's a uk wide policy to ID people for booze

don't you live in the US anyway

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
why didnt these turds just join the libdems

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Coohoolin confirmed as having a wispy pretence of a beard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Coohoolin posted:

no you loving idiot it's that there's a uk wide policy to ID people for booze

don't you live in the US anyway

if they look under 25 you dozy oval office.

and they never do anyway.

plus there is already the Validate official photo ID if you want to have proof you are 18+

https://www.validateuk.co.uk

but I've never known anyone ever to get one.