Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (February 20, 1972)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Life (With Skippy)

(May 3, 1923)

(pre-Skippy, march 22, 1923)

And now, another thing I stumbled across while digging for more Seattle duck comics...

So. We all know the story by now. Richard Outcalt created Buster Brown for the New York Herald in 1902, and just as it happened with The Yellow Kid, William Randolph Hearst bought him out in 1906 under the assumption that he'd bring the kid with the funny haircut with him. Lawsuits followed, and just like the last time they went to court over a comic strip, the verdict was that while the Herald could still use the characters and keep the title, the artist could take his creations wherever. Intellectual property laws have developed quite a bit since then, so don't try this at home.

Outcault and the Hearst syndicate didn't have an alternate name the way the Katzenjammer Kids forked into The Captain And The Kids under similar circumstances. But Buster? Come on, the kid's name is the title. So for the purposes of the masthead, there wasn't one. Just the drawings of an instantly identifiable kid and his dog.

You'll notice that incredibly off-model ad didn't include a name either, but you can't fool a reader. That boy's still... ALIAS: BUSTER BROWN. (January 18, 1914)

(click the pic for a legible version)

This one's going to be an on-again-off-again thing, because circumstances fought me all the way. (e: up to and including whether the XL version will be allowed to exist.)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar THe Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

This really needs one of the panels of Stephan Pastis' characters threatening him tacked onto the end.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Fettuccine or whatever is too enamored with his strip and doesn't understand not everyone has the perspective he does regarding retail

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mmmm. Roly-poly fish heads.

Macanudo

It's Sunday, so it's time to play "In what order am I supposed to read these boxes in Mark Trail?"

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

I thought the explosion, if it happened, would be much more dramatic.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon April 1962

"Hm? Get rid of the Earth-destroying weapons we keep in orbit ready to rain death on our home planet at a moment's notice and apparently by just anyone who happens to be there entirely? That's just crazy talk!"

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Calaveron posted:

Fettuccine or whatever is too enamored with his strip and doesn't understand not everyone has the perspective he does regarding retail

I mean, big-box retail is absolutely the squeezing, soulless, common-sense-be-damned hellscape he's portraying it as, but it does get repetitive when that's the joke of almost every strip.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

FrumpleOrz posted:

The Lockhorns

That bottom left fridge comic really drives my thinking home that The Lockhorns has some of the best art in the papers for how simple it is; I can't think of many other strips that would try composition like that.

A late in the day early Closer to Home

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

This is actually now when winter gets pretty good IMO, finally the sun starts staying up until around 18:00ish instead of it being dark when you go to to work and then dark again when you step outside again to go home, and the days are a lot more sunny as well. And every day is brighter than the one before it.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Luxrage posted:

That bottom left fridge comic really drives my thinking home that The Lockhorns has some of the best art in the papers for how simple it is; I can't think of many other strips that would try composition like that.

For sure. The Lockhorns knows exactly what it is humor-wise and is willing to do neat stuff like that. It's a much better strip than it is often perceived.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
:barf:

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

The joke is that if you don't manage to escape, you get killed and eaten! Comedy!

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

'Canonised', not 'sainted.' :eng101:

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Folks, I've decided I'm dropping my daily posting of Intelligent Life. I prefer to be consistent, and digging out random strips for 4 days of the week is more effort than it deserves, and it disrupts the flow of any arc or theme the current week might have. But I figure I'll post the weekly round-up on Fridays, and maybe some rare megaposts summarizing some dumb old story arcs. And even if I don't, I'll at least fill the IL-shaped void by bringing back another thread "favorite" that I haven't seen in a long while.

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ms Boods posted:

'Canonised', not 'sainted.' :eng101:
Also, Rome's ban on soldiers marrying was put in place and lifted before Cladius II even rose to power. The standing Roman army in Valentine's time was hundreds of thousands of people drawn from all across Europe and the Mediterranean, and a single priest (or bishop) performing secret marriages wouldn't have made a dent even in those stationed in modern Italy, much less one performing Christian marriages that wouldn't even be recognised as legitimate by the Roman state.

By all reputable accounts, Valentine - like many before and after him - was killed for being a Christian and nothing more, with the story of him defying the emperor being a much later invention to explain why his feast day had become associated with a concept of romantic love and courting that didn't exist prior to the Middle-ages.

Now you've received a Valentine's pedant.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

No more Intelligent Life is a miracle!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet

July 28th, 2006

July 29th, 2006

July 30th, 2006

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Alley Oop

Barney Google and Snuffy Smith

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Judge Parker

Little Oop

Mary Worth

Reply All

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Luxrage posted:

The Lockhorns is way better than you'd expect for having a Super Fun Pak Comix recurring feature based on it.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

God Ian from Mary Worth really has to shave that stupid beard, it just does not fit with his facial structure and hair and couldn't be solved with the addition of a mustache.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

I thought the explosion, if it happened, would be much more dramatic.

Absolutely nothing about this storyline has been dramatic - why start now?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 8/18/41

all-timer Mopsy

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hmmm, Alex does seem pretty punchable.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 27, 2007)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 27, 1997)

Garfield Classic (July 27, 1987)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Retail

Edge of Pop Culture Reference

Can't you just feel the labored "Wilhelm scream" gag being hoisted into place?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Corto Maltese: Farid needs help like he needs a hole in the h- oh. Oh dear., or The actor playing John Bull is doing fantastic method acting, or Corto failed to learn Farid's lesson from yesterday.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Selachian posted:

Edge of Pop Culture Reference

Can't you just feel the labored "Wilhelm scream" gag being hoisted into place?
Given the complete lack of sound effects this just looks like Sam is really bad at ending conversations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Nekonaughey

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Literally all of Inspector Danger's Crime Quizzes are nonsensical speculations about the dominant hand of the killer.

That's not even how you hold a spear! You only use one hand when you're holding it over-arm, so once you've already broken spear rules, it's basically arbitrary as to which hand is where! Ahhh!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I laughed, thank you

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Literally all of Inspector Danger's Crime Quizzes are nonsensical speculations about the dominant hand of the killer.

That's not even how you hold a spear! You only use one hand when you're holding it over-arm, so once you've already broken spear rules, it's basically arbitrary as to which hand is where! Ahhh!

Only nerds know the proper way to hold spears! The craftsman building a doghouse is a total nerd, the loser with no friends? Also clearly a nerd. Sportsman McSportysports is definitely NOT a nerd and wouldn't know the proper way to hold a spear. Thus, he's the murderer.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Footrot Flats (1976)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Android Blues posted:

Ehh, to be fair, if you were going to plunge a spear into a target two handed, you would use your dominant hand in the back for power and your other hand for guiding. Think of it more like shooting pool

But I agree, every one of these "mysteries" is just about what hand do they use.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Curtis is often frustrating because I feel like the writer's just on some completely different wavelength about how comics work. He's got the ability. I think those middle panels are funny for the dopey child-barber visual alone (see also why I can never hate a Sherman's Lagoon strip), and I can see the set-up for a joke germinating in what his mom is saying. Then he just kind of drops it and turns to a warm moment finish with a quarter-joke from the mom. It's like grilling hamburger patties and then mashing them into a meatloaf or something.

edit: actually you know with how the barber strips with their little side gags ("Good Book prequel") and the church lady strips are usually alright to good I wonder if Curtis shouldn't just transform into the barbershop all day every day. It could be about all the oddballs the barber sees come in and Curtis himself could get Castor Oyl'd.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 18, 2019

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Geech

Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Did you just murder the Then They All hosed bird?