Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Germany has national IDs but it's illegal to create a national ID database so every little inbred village keeps its own database

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mila kunis posted:

why didnt these turds just join the libdems

Because they want their promised careers back.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm used to ID cards being leftist darlings, because they are cheaper than passports but apparently thats different in the uk lol

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
although I don't drink at student bars to hit on freshers so maybe u do get ID'd there

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Opferwurst posted:

Germany has national IDs but it's illegal to create a national ID database so every little inbred village keeps its own database

do IBM have regional contracts now then?

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

hobbesmaster posted:

The US doesn't have a national ID card because we have 50 state ID cards, not because they're not necessary.

Well, technically theres the passport card but thats pretty useless.

Theres a "universal" one for each state though.

US passport cards (and passports in general) aren't intended to serve as a universal, national ID; they're meant to make it easier to cross borders.

Most states that I've lived in or worked with don't come anywhere close to using their driver license numbers as a consistent person:ID# key. Sometimes they use SSNs, sometimes addresses, sometimes other random poo poo. It's a hot mess.

The reason there isn't a unified, purpose-built national ID in the US is the same reason there isn't one in the UK: it's opposed in principle by rugged-individualist voters, privacy-minded interest groups, and mark-of-the-beast christian freakstars. Good luck overcoming that.

oliwan posted:

could someone tell the uk that you can have ID cards without coupling them to a database

...what'd be the point of that from the government's perspective?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
huh, never seen the validate cards, everyone i knew at uni used licences or a young scot card (not accepted everywhere)

the last time i used my ID... probably to sign up for my GP last time i moved.

ID cards are fine in general but just lol if you don't think the tories would find a way to weaponise it against the vulnerable

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Every time I have any kind of formal interaction with the government/administration I need to show my ID cause they don't know who I am and I'm capable of lying

Same for banks. They always want some kind of proof that I own the monies

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/1097520512513781762

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
most places also take Student ID's / NUS Cards as proof of age to buy booze.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
we tried Student IDs for the first week of uni but there was no date of birth on them, just your projected year of graduation so no go

maybe other unis have DOBs on them

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Don't you need to provide an ID whenever you collect a parcel from the post office or do any business with banks or utilities providers?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Coohoolin posted:

it's the prospect of the government having everyone's data in a single database that's upsetting

you lot have CCTV cameras every 3 feet lol

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

I have been instructed to carry my residence permit at all times and I'm in a spot of poo poo if I lose it

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Don't you need to provide an ID whenever you collect a parcel from the post office or do any business with banks or utilities providers?

nah they usually accept a bank card when you collect a parcel.

I think to open a bank account you just need a proof of address, and maybe some ID - but that's only to open it, not to do anything subsequently

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bitmap posted:

I have been instructed to carry my residence permit at all times and I'm in a spot of poo poo if I lose it

Yeah in general you're supposed to carry your passport with whatever visa with you if you're in a foreign country.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
77% of british adults have a driving licence anyway which is accepted as id anywhere in the uk and most of mainland europe for the purposes of banking and buying booze.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Brigadier Sockface posted:

yeah sometimes you need to bring a utility bill or a bank statement AS a form of ID

Raskolnikov38 posted:

you lot have CCTV cameras every 3 feet lol

that is also upsetting

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

theyr gonna blame her for their overwhelming unpopularity

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

JFairfax posted:

nah they usually accept a bank card when you collect a parcel.

I think to open a bank account you just need a proof of address, and maybe some ID - but that's only to open it, not to do anything subsequently

I don't know if there is actually much abuse but both sound hilariously unsafe in theory. People lose bank cards all the time and they get stolen together with your wallet. So anyone who has your bank card can just walk into a bank and clear out your account?

Also, I sometimes get my neighbors' bills when the postal office has vacation season and they have a lot of temps working. Pretty hilarious that I could gently caress up their life with that piece of worthless paper if I was in the UK

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
big ups to jeremy corbyn for having the foresight to expel the racist angela smith from the labour party

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Opferwurst posted:

I don't know if there is actually much abuse but both sound hilariously unsafe in theory. People lose bank cards all the time and they get stolen together with your wallet. So anyone who has your bank card can just walk into a bank and clear out your account?

Also, I sometimes get my neighbors' bills when the postal office has vacation season and they have a lot of temps working. Pretty hilarious that I could gently caress up their life with that piece of worthless paper if I was in the UK

well with the bank card they would still require you to enter you pin code? It's been a long time since I've done a counter transaction in the UK, but here in the US they require you to enter your pin code when conducting business in the bank.

plus if someone does somehow have the balls to go into a bank, which will have CCTV and clear out your bank account, then you are probably going to be okay as it is the banks gently caress up, plus the person who did it will be clearly on CCTV because LOL at trying to withdraw all the money from an account with your face obscured and not raising some suspicions.

bank tellers are trained to spot unusual transactions as well.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Opferwurst posted:

yeah this? like, I'm happy that I can identify myself with an ID card, and that that's the only way I can interact with government, healthcare, banks, utilities etc, instead of a piece of paper or other piece of plastic that is hilariously easy to get.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
it's really not much of an issue in the UK, like online banking fraud is much more likely than someone walking into a branch and stealing your money.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
oliwan can you stop doing your being a loving moron oliwan routine

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

oh god just saw/remembered angela smith was the mp who criticized corbyn for the jewdas seder hahahaha

https://twitter.com/angelasmithmp/status/980930274405085184?s=21

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Hentai Jihadist posted:

theyr gonna blame her for their overwhelming unpopularity

Looks like even centrists can circular firing group, too.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

oh god just saw/remembered angela smith was the mp who criticized corbyn for the jewdas seder hahahaha

What on Earth is a jewdas seder

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ramadu posted:

Seems like a young Jewish group opposed to Israel's treatment of Palestinians.

https://twitter.com/eleanorkpenny/status/980938190877024256

Or :siren: Jewish Antisemites!!! :siren:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

her and john woodcock, both of whom are no longer in the party (lol they didn't even invite penis^3 to this thing)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ramadu posted:

Jewdas are a group of fairly far-left Jewish people and I think they are based in Corbyn's constituency and invited him to their seder, which is a dinner over Passover. They really get off on antagonising the self-appointed spokespeople for mainstream British Jews, the Board of Deputies, editor of the Jewish Chronicle, etc.

Really good eggs, noise up a lot of the establishment because they aren't pro-Zionist. So Angela Smith apparently gets to declare they aren't proper Jews which is a great look.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Ramadu posted:

it's when corbyn went to a seder hosted by a (since then) prominent left wing jewish group called jewdas

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ramadu posted:

This looks like the best summary: https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/.premium-no-one-gets-to-say-who-are-good-jews-not-even-jews-1.5976112 edit: uhhhh google "No One Gets to Say Who Are Good Jews. Not Even Jews" and follow the link to get the article I guess?

They sound like they know how to party. Also their twitter is A+
https://twitter.com/jewdas/status/981461569933660160

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

CoolCab posted:

(lol they didn't even invite penis^3 to this thing)

lmao

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Also she said seber not seder

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
How come I'm not seeing more vitriol directed to Tom Watson

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/18/chuka-umunna-and-other-mps-set-to-quit-labour-party

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1097423227020890112

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

John Oliver's third brexit article.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaBQfSAVt0s

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

mila kunis posted:

where are you seeing this

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/30-mps-labour-independent-group

quote:

Other MPs have expressed vocal opposition to calling by-elections, fearing they would lose their seats. They want to instead stand in marginal constituencies at the next general election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Not available in the UK, I guess THANKS CORBYN!