Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

THE loving MOON posted:

Ah well alright. I haven't looked into it much and wasnt sure if it was that kind of trainwreck or not

Yeah, it's not like Sonic 06 or Sonic Boom levels of hilarity, for better or worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

I get that in theory, but I'm talking more in terms of while a good player may be able to do anything at any time, a mediocre one might need upgrade x and so many health increases to beat boss y. It's me I'm the mediocre player.

I'm talking about the average player! The people who know what they are doing can do all kinds of crazy skips and end up fighting bosses way before they are meant to.

Like, just upgrade your nail when you are able and you will be fine. I guess the Watcher Knights are a roadblock for many people so maybe leave that for later?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 18, 2019

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I think the new Link's Awakening art style feels strange to me mostly because of the camera angle, which seems too low and as such feels just a bit claustrophobic. Ultimately I think this was a necessary design compromise because without it being that low, the characters would be viewed too perpendicularly from the ground so you could only see the tops of their heads.

The original game being sprite-based was actually really beneficial for the game's presentation, providing the player with both the benefit of the spacial clarity of a top-down perspective while simultaneously displaying characters from a much more horizontal perspective for easy identifiability. This combo is impossible in true 3D so the camera angle has to be compromised to accommodate for both spacial awareness and character recognition, resulting in the weird middle ground we're seeing.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 18, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

I get that in theory, but I'm talking more in terms of while a good player may be able to do anything at any time, a mediocre one might need upgrade x and so many health increases to beat boss y. It's me I'm the mediocre player.
I don't think Hollow Knight really has those, it's not like Dark Souls where you can wander right into Fuckville from the starting hub or anything like that.

There are things that are technically optional or can be done in different orders because the game is so open, but as far as I remember there aren't any "come back later" fights. If you've run into something that you're struggling with and you're unsure if it's optional, you can always just explore elsewhere and maybe find a different route v:v:v Really, exploration is the key in these sorts of games so always. be. exploring!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I don't think Hollow Knight really has those, it's not like Dark Souls where you can wander right into Fuckville from the starting hub or anything like that.

There are things that are technically optional or can be done in different orders because the game is so open, but as far as I remember there aren't any "come back later" fights. If you've run into something that you're struggling with and you're unsure if it's optional, you can always just explore elsewhere and maybe find a different route v:v:v Really, exploration is the key in these sorts of games so always. be. exploring!

Hollow Knight's map is extremely well designed. It's really open and you always have multiple routes to progress but the difficulty curve still works. And when you know really know what you're doing you can go crazy with skips and doing things out of order.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Unlike dark souls or similar, which take ideas from metroidvanias but don't have actual ability upgrades, Hollow Knight is a true metroidvania so you're gated from accessing areas by your upgrades. As such you're not gonna wander into places you're not ready for without serious sequence breaking.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Your Computer posted:

A few months ago I tried Dark Souls for the first time and because of its meme reputation for difficulty I did not realize for about an hour I had in fact wandered into said Fuckville when there were other, more reasonable places I could go.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Nep-Nep posted:

A few months ago I tried Dark Souls for the first time and because of its meme reputation for difficulty I did not realize for about an hour I had in fact wandered into said Fuckville when there were other, more reasonable places I could go.

To maintain that level of Fuckville you gotta basically be aware or following some intentional guide. Even if you're just crashing into poo poo, but virtue of being able to level up you'll eventually level out.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nep-Nep posted:

I never get tired people bashing their heads against the skeletons in the catacombs in dark souls at the very beginning just because they heard that the game was difficult

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sine! Cosine! tangent!

the best video game boss

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm about 20 hours into a Hollow Knight replay and the only thing I had to set aside for later was the Brooding Mawlek, and that's only because I unintentionally did a sequence break

Only other difficulty-related thing I wish I'd known going in is that the Soul Sanctum can wait a bit, the boss + the run back there crushed me dozens of times on my first playthrough. Probably still worth giving it a few shots if you stumble into it, since what people find hard seems to be all over the board

morestuff fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 18, 2019

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nep-Nep posted:

:arghfist: :negative:

this is literally my exact reason for hating that whole "dark souls hardest game evar!!!!!!!" shtick. I wonder how many people quit the game there and never went back, robbing themselves of a fantastic experience because they thought the game was just supposed to be that hard due to the game's dumb internet reputation.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I quit Dark Souls and never went back after playing the demo for five minutes

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Cool

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

They're too cheap to even have background music except for boss battles.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ok

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've never played Dark Souls because the combat looks miserable and the graphics are boring.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

As such you're not gonna wander into places you're not ready for without serious sequence breaking.

This is mostly true except: don’t accidentally fall into deepnest from fungal wastes when you lack a light source, many upgrades, etc. it was not a fun journey back

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
surely you mean

:ok:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I played dark souls for 8-10 hours and found some knight in the basement of a tower in a small area. I died to him for an hour or so and thought maybe I had broke sequence. So I talked to a buddy about it at work the next day and he told me I hadn't and probably should have been able to kill that boss there. So I never played again and never tried any of the sequels.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Zelda 2 is better than Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Breath of the Wild.

Zelda 2 is the Dark Souls of Zelda games. Like the lower tier Zeldas, it has some mechanic that gets in the way. In this case it is the difficulty and the very sharp curve at Death Montain. I suspect most people who don't finish the game, never get through the mountain. Other than the difficulty, the game doesn't have glaring problems like the other four I listed.

Skyward Sword, for instance, is an absolute slog. It is constantly unfun from beginning to end. From controls that aren't fun to use to repetitive levels to constant reminders of how much a rupee is worth or whatever Fi is blathering about now. There is a lot of time spent in a 40 hour game that is pointless. I'd guess five hours or more and that's being kind.

Man I hate that game.

PH & ST both force a terrible control scheme and each has it's own bit of stupidity that ruins the fun. Moving via train is a trainwreck. And repeating the same dungeon over and over is a snore.

Breath of the Wild is the honorable mention. It's the best open world game ever. And you play it and are like, whoa, this is awesome. When does the Zelda stuff start? Then your sword breaks, Ganon dies and you never did a dungeon.

Every other Zelda game is better than these 5 because they are all actual Zelda games and don't have game breaking flaws.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

This is mostly true except: don’t accidentally fall into deepnest from fungal wastes when you lack a light source, many upgrades, etc. it was not a fun journey back

Being lost in the Deepnest is the best

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Alright I won't stress about the sequence I do poo poo in Hollow Knight then. If the general rule is "if you can reach it you're expected to be able to beat it" I can work with that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Waltzing Along posted:

Zelda 2 is better than Skyward Sword, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks and Breath of the Wild.

hmm, yes, yes, t-wait a gosh darn minute

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Deified Data posted:

Alright I won't stress about the sequence I do poo poo in Hollow Knight then. If the general rule is "if you can reach it you're expected to be able to beat it" I can work with that.

Sounds like my teenage years

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Huxley posted:

I played dark souls for 8-10 hours and found some knight in the basement of a tower in a small area. I died to him for an hour or so and thought maybe I had broke sequence. So I talked to a buddy about it at work the next day and he told me I hadn't and probably should have been able to kill that boss there. So I never played again and never tried any of the sequels.

Your friend hasn't been new to Dark Souls in a long time, that knights name is Havel and he actually is really tough for a new player. You can just ignore him and come back later, he's got some insanely good drops.

edit: He's beatable but jesus, you really need to know what you're doing

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Dark Souls is worth sticking with. It’s hard as balls, but if you spent the money on it and are really struggling then use a guide to get through the hard bits.

You still need to do the combat bits yourself even if a guide gives you strategy. It’s one of the best games of the last decade, well worth playing!

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
I'm really disappointed with Dark Souls on the Switch literally just because if you try to play online and put the Switch to sleep you get kicked to menu.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
More like Dork Souls imo

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I would 100% recommend a new player throw themselves against Havel as many time as it takes to beat him, so long as it's with the understanding that he's gonna kill you a few times.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

Your friend hasn't been new to Dark Souls in a long time, that knights name is Havel and he actually is really tough for a new player. You can just ignore him and come back later, he's got some insanely good drops.

edit: He's beatable but jesus, you really need to know what you're doing

I beat him at that point on my initial DS run by figuring out backstabbing. He isn't that bad.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Dark Souls is the Dark Souls of Switch thread conversation topics.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I just cleared chapter 4 of the season with my necromancer in D3 last night. With the ring of royal grandeur you can get the full set bonuses for both Trag'Ouls (you get it from completing chapter 1-4 of the season) and Captain Crimson (craftable legendary set, you need to find the plans). Is good, yo

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If you don’t clear Havel by perfectly parrying and backstabbing him the very first time you play Dark Souls can you even consider yourself a gamer???

But for real, he hits like a god damned truck and I didn’t mess with him until I reached the tower from the forest and I was way better geared (read: had pyromancies to break the game with :getin: )

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dark souls is one of my favorite series but it’s such a massive investment of effort.

Like I own DS3 and haven’t played more than a couple of hours because I can’t get in the mood for it but once one of the games clicks, it clicks so hard you’ll play nothing else for months.

Between Demon Souls, DS1+2, and Bloodborne I’ve spent hundreds of hours on the games, but each time I hit a wall and stop playing for a bit. Give it another try

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Zelda 2 is better than... Breath of the Wild.

This right here is the good stuff, this is the gonzo bullshit that keeps me coming back to these dead and stupid internet forums

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dark Souls is a great series which is why I recommend you play the definite version of it on the Nintendo Switch: Hollow Knight.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Huxley posted:

lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sometimes the game beats you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Dark Souls is a great series which is why I recommend you play the definite version of it on the Nintendo Switch: Hollow Knight.

Strong joke but that’s a genuine good point. Both are great games and if you like one then the other is well worth it :boom: