Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Grape posted:

Where did you find that map, because that seems heavily suspect in lots of ways. Did the HDI people release this?

:cripes:

Is it just the economic activity? Or also the pay that follows people home.
CT being so enormously high in the second map doesn't seem explainable by just what we have here. There is HUGE wealth in the state, but lots of it comes from people who go to work in NYC. So their activity is over state borders... otherwise I don't get how we can be so absurdly high.

We're surrounded by hedge funds in Fairfield County and insurance and military industrial complex in Hartford County. There's non-NYC wealth, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Laurenz posted:

northern england

lol so worse than East Germany? Yikes!

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
It'll be interesting to see the map updated post Brexit. Will the next 10 poorest regions be more evenly spread across Europe, or with a similar concentration?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

On that map, which only includes a handful of countries, I'd predict the concentration would be in Wallonia and Northern France. I was going to say parts of Ireland, but I'm pretty sure even its rural areas are fairly rich now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty good guess! Thankfully, with the magic of the internet, we can find out for certain.

E: Lol EE sucks and it doesn't even go that far east

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 18, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
Good lord Greece.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Situation in 2016:

Trend from 2007 to 2016:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh gently caress, I should've invested in Eastern Poland.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Cat Mattress posted:

Situation in 2016:

Lol, Prague and Bratislava are on the level of Western capitals, with the rest of the country being dirt poor. AFAIK here in Slovakia, this is partly caused by large companies with nationwide presence and HQs in the capital, such as retail chains or utilities.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh gently caress, I should've invested in Eastern Poland.

Still not to late. Just think of what you'll tell your children

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

heh heh, NUTS

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
What's going on with northern France? Is it becoming a blasted hellscape, this time without a German invasion?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
It's probably the same post-industrial decay thing. Interestingly, North-East France was Marine le Pen's power base last election.

UKIP is weird in how its power base was actually in relatively rich South-East England.

Cat Mattress posted:

Hainaut and London are like the little dots of the opposite color in the yin-yang symbol. ☯

Edit: actual map of HS2:

Kinda hosed up that the UK doesn't have high speed rail yet. Except for the tiny bit between the Channel Tunnel and London.

It's okay, because we can get all the benefits of high-speed rail by re-opening a line in rural Buckinghamshire that doesn't go anywhere! :downs:

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

TinTower posted:

It's probably the same post-industrial decay thing. Interestingly, North-East France was Marine le Pen's power base last election.

Yeah, it's basically France's Rustbelt.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yes, it is very similar to Wallonia's rust belt economically and even culturally (the Walloon and Picard dialects were traditionally spoken on both sides of the border), with historically a heavy emphasis on mining and the steel industry.

@vetinari: that's what I was saying earlier about the problem with GDP as a measure even when purchasing power is taken into account: it tells you approximately how much wealth is produced in a particular geographic region, but not where it flows back to or how it's distributed.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 19, 2019

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kulkasha posted:

What's going on with northern France? Is it becoming a blasted hellscape, this time without a German invasion?
It's the old Steel and Mining center it went to poo poo after ww2.
And yes it's also both the new base of Le Pen's electorate (it used to be more south on the Mediterranean Coast under her father) and also the place of the main refugee camps, full of people wanting to go to England.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 19, 2019

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

RedSnapper posted:

Still not to late. Just think of what you'll tell your children

To be clear here...it is pretty much the reason PiS came to power and liberal democracy is dying in Poland atm.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.

Ardennes posted:

To be clear here...it is pretty much the reason PiS came to power and liberal democracy is dying in Poland atm.

What, the fact that it saw one of the fastest convergences to the EU average?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

vetinari100 posted:

What, the fact that it saw one of the fastest convergences to the EU average?

It very clearly wasn't enough. I was just in Warsaw, I was actually a bit shocked about the situation especially outside of the city center. Inequality is a massive issue, and if anything seemed pretty much a parallel situation to parts of the former the Soviet Union itself.

In that sense, far-right populism taking over really wasn't surprising.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
What did you see?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

catfry posted:

What did you see?

Like I said, obviously parallels to the former Soviet Union, especially Moscow. (where I live most of the year) People in generally seemed to be exhausted and overworked, even a little more than Moscow itself (this is why I was surprised).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Feb 19, 2019

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I'm reminded of the childrens book Momo, where time-stealers use all the lost time as fuel for their cigars.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

All I'm seeing from these EU maps is how East Anglia should be annexed by The Netherlands

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

The longest shared land border of each country.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Neofelis posted:

If Ireland reunited what would GB's be? Spain?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Neofelis posted:

Ah, the famous Iceland-Icelandic border!

Also: French Guyana strikes again!

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Guavanaut posted:

If Ireland reunited what would GB's be? Spain?

There's a British overseas territory on Cyprus which are just military bases and a couple of villages. There's two separate areas of land with a combined border of 156km with Cyprus, including sections bordered by North Cyprus and the buffer zone.

If we count the British Antarctic Territory then somewhere there but the whole thing is a whole mess of overlapping claims so you know.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Neofelis posted:

France borders with Brazil?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

^^^^^^^^^French Guiana is a french departement.

Deformed Church posted:

If we count the British Antarctic Territory then somewhere there but the whole thing is a whole mess of overlapping claims so you know.
With the Antarctic territories, it's not Brazil for France it's Australia.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Feb 21, 2019

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

France borders with Brazil?

French Guyana is actually a department of France. It's even a weird little island on the picture of France on money.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know, but it still feels like cheating.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It also makes France, I think, the closest country to both the prime meridian and the equator.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
France has three land borders that people forget when they look at a map of Europe: the first two are Brazil and Suriname, bordering Guyane; the last is the Netherlands, on Saint Martin/Sint Maarten island.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Actually Sint Maarten is now it's own country, though still a part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, and Saba are *part of the Netherlands*, just like Hawaii is part of the US.

The Netherlands is a country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

The Kingdom of the Netherlands also includes the countries of Aruba, Curacau, and Sint Maarten.

And I thought the UK was confusing. It'd be easier if The Netherlands and the Kingdom of the Netherlands didn't have the same name.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Sint Maarten seems to be more like a Commonwealth nation since they don't share a parliament with the Netherlands.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Something called Bonaire is a member of CONCACAF nowadays and play in the Gold Cup qualifications. Felt weird seeing them pop up in livescores and thinking "oh, a country I hadn't heard of"

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Golbez posted:

Bonaire, Sint Eustatius, and Saba are *part of the Netherlands*, just like Hawaii is part of the US.

The Netherlands is a country within the Kingdom of the Netherlands.

The Kingdom of the Netherlands also includes the countries of Aruba, Curacau, and Sint Maarten.

And I thought the UK was confusing. It'd be easier if The Netherlands and the Kingdom of the Netherlands didn't have the same name.

It's more like Hawaii and Guam are part of the US - same way that the Falklands and Gibraltar are part of the UK.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

But Hawaii is a full blown state and Guam is a territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bonaire, St Eustatius and Saba each only have the equivalent of a mayor + city government. They vote in the national elections for the parliament in The Hague.*

Aruba, Curacao and St Maarten each have their own constitution, and their own fully independent parliament and senate. They have no vote for the parliament in The Hague because that parliament does not rule over them.

There is a special "Kingdom's Law" that's maintained by a joint gathering of the governments of the four countries Aruba, Curacao, St Maarten, and the Netherlands, that deals with stuff like trade between the countries, the fact that they have a joint military, some international relations stuff and so on. Those joint gatherings happen like once every couple years or something. I'm not sure.

* There's a couple complexities here. First of all, elections are done by proportional representation in the Netherlands. The total population of these three islands is so small, their total vote is worth less than half of a seat in parliament. That means that most politicians don't bother flying halfway across the world to campaign there. Secondly, and more importantly, the senate members are chosen by the provincial parliaments, two months after new provincial parliaments are elected. However, the three islands are not part of any province, so they don't get a provincial vote, so they don't have an (indirect) representation in the Netherlands senate at all.

The legal status of these islands and their representation is a constant point of contention for the islanders, and looking at their history, their legal status has changed every couple decades or so, and I wouldn't be surprised if it changes again in the future. If the islands ever elect to go fully independent, it's likely that the continental Netherlands would allow this, but before this most recent legal change (in 2010) a referendum was held and it looks like most of the islanders are in favour of some kind of association with the Netherlands, so, yeah.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 21, 2019