Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

pookel posted:

Have you never noticed that the internet is full of lovely, reactionary, homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic, racist atheists though?

*Culture* teaches people to be lovely. Religion is often part of that. But it's not like religion has a monopoly on lovely beliefs. Cultures can promote lovely values with or without religion being the thing that backs them up.

Here's the deal with Religion. Religion is a more complex form of culture. Culture is the driving force not religion.

Ever wonder why Jesus (i.e. a peace god) that walks around saying things like "Live by the sword die by the sword" and "turn the other cheek" was suddenly cool with Dues Vauting Jerusalem during the middle ages?

Catholic Culture changed and the Religion was forced to change with it.

This is why attacks on Religion are so pointless as it will change and morph around what the culture needs from it unless someone with religious power tries and pull the culture shift back.

In the more autonomous American Protestant religions you see this shifting, altering and splitting off into new religions every year to meet the needs of the local sub-culture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

i am harry posted:

There’s sugar in fruit

Oh ok so sugar isn't an addictive drug and I do need it to live thanks for clarifying

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Your Taint posted:

Lots of churches are. Hell if every single one of those Westboro Baptist fucks died a horrible death tomorrow the world would be a better place and I'd probably have a drink in celebration. As well as any of those preachers who say all gays go to hell or any of that poo poo. gently caress them.

Okay cool

Your Taint posted:

A lot of churches are also very progressive and open and pretty chill, too. Again, it's not the religion, IMO, it's what the people who follow the religion do with that knowledge and those teachings.

There's 1.5 billion Muslims in this world and just a very very small fraction of them are militant and kill other people in the name of their religion. Unfortunately, shitheads use those instances to be prejudiced against Muslims as a whole. There are lovely Christians, too. In no way am I disputing that. But taking the worst members of any large group and using them to judge the entire group is lovely and wrong no matter who you're judging. Name any race, religion, creed, sexuality, nationality, etc and there's good people and lovely people.

But this is kinda the problem. Literally no one was contesting this. It is so loving frustrating when someone points out that a specific church is homophobic and then people like you come out on a mission to defend the honor of Christians as a whole.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

One other FDA issue that can be a problem (which they're trying to fix recently) is that their inspectors have a wide variety of experience that can lead to some inconsistency in inspections. I've done consulting work for some people who have small pharma/food units on otherwise industrial sites, and the inspector's background can really make or break things.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Sam has a message for those posting about religion ITT

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That is indeed a mighty Taint.

Perhaps we should go back to talking about the one who is President.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Saagonsa posted:

Okay cool

But this is kinda the problem. Literally no one was contesting this. It is so loving frustrating when someone points out that a specific church is homophobic and then people like you come out on a mission to defend the honor of Christians as a whole.

How is it different than when a certain sect or cluster of followers of a non Christian religion is lovely and people come out to defend that religion as a whole from attackers (as they should, btw)?

I mean, if it's cool to poo poo on Christians as a whole when a church is homophobic or lovely in some other way, why isn't it cool to defend them as a whole under the same circumstances?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Feinne posted:

One other FDA issue that can be a problem (which they're trying to fix recently) is that their inspectors have a wide variety of experience that can lead to some inconsistency in inspections. I've done consulting work for some people who have small pharma/food units on otherwise industrial sites, and the inspector's background can really make or break things.

You're absolutely right, I've heard reports about that as well, and it's perplexing. I'd assume it's another casualty of their resource-starved budget, but I honestly have no idea what's going on there.

I was feeling guilty about that mondopost and derailing, but given what I'm seeing above, please consider this a threat:

If the thread continues down this path, I will deploy BBQchat.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I do not understand what the gently caress was the original intention for the legislative filibuster but I cannot believe that it was ever meant to mean that nothing can ever pass ever without at least 60 votes. If that was the case that would just be the default and there wouldn’t be a filibuster.

This became a problem because of Republicans in the 90s didn’t it?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I think the forums dying there for a few minutes was an omen about this topic.

So it turns out the Aurora shooter wasn't even supposed to have a gun because he STABBED HIS EX GIRLFRIEND. loving christ. The cops were supposed to seize his guns but they didn't.

https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/aurora-illinois-shooters-permit-was-revoked-but-gun-wasnt-seized

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

silicone thrills posted:

I think the forums dying there for a few minutes was an omen about this topic.

So it turns out the Aurora shooter wasn't even supposed to have a gun because he STABBED HIS EX GIRLFRIEND. loving christ. The cops were supposed to seize his guns but they didn't.

https://komonews.com/news/nation-world/aurora-illinois-shooters-permit-was-revoked-but-gun-wasnt-seized

The system works!

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1097574608692264961

(Actual post is on Roger's Instagram)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Your Taint posted:

I mean, if it's cool to poo poo on Christians as a whole when a church is homophobic or lovely in some other way

Nobody did this. You're so fragile that you took someone pointing out that a specific church was homophobic as people saying that all of Christianity is homophobic

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The absolute minimum response to domestic abuse should be confiscating all of a perpetrator's weapons and round the clock monitoring for at least a year. These guys always have these similar backgrounds.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Discendo Vox posted:

Current events: What the hell, you guys, Trump's appointee for FDA commissioner, Scott Gottlieb, is probably the best commissioner the organization has had in decades.

It is very weird to me, given what you describe, that this person hasn't been targeted for replacement by now. It's a political appointment with no fixed term. Slipping through the cracks is one thing, but I wouldn't at all expect the vested interests in question to be complacent. You have a view on what's going on there?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok first of all those are survey markets, secondly the

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i mean i get this is all a show for trump/his hosed up brain/the chuds and fits with his jerk off "i am villian my dear" persona, but this stupid littlefinger type poo poo backfires in real life.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Serious question: is this a crime? Or is it not a crime and just incredibly dumb?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
lol This fuckin loser Roger Stone can't even hit in his own photoshopped image.

Edit: They say religion is the opiate of the masses and Trump declared a national emergency on opioids so Trump is technically attacking religion.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Saagonsa posted:

Nobody did this. You're so fragile that you took someone pointing out that a specific church was homophobic as people saying that all of Christianity is homophobic

All christian churches except the ultra fringe ones that have weird alternative bibles have bibles that say lovely heteronormative sexist, homophobic things.

You can say some people and some churches don't follow those parts or have ways to explain how they aren't right or shouldn't be interpreted that way. But then you have circled back around to chris saying he doesn't follow that part of the religion and then people going 'well the church says it so *I'm* deciding you DO follow it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mind_Taker posted:

Serious question: is this a crime? Or is it not a crime and just incredibly dumb?

It's prosecutable. Doesn't mean it will be but it can be.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean i get this is all a show for trump/his hosed up brain/the chuds and fits with his jerk off "i am villian my dear" persona, but this stupid littlefinger type poo poo backfires in real life.

McConnel has been re-elected how many times?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I do not understand what the gently caress was the original intention for the legislative filibuster but I cannot believe that it was ever meant to mean that nothing can ever pass ever without at least 60 votes. If that was the case that would just be the default and there wouldn’t be a filibuster.

If someone cares enough to stand in the assembly for hours or how long it takes, it must be an issue that matters a lot to them. Or that's the theory. Now you don't need to physically take the chamber.

It was a problem when the Southern bloc of Dixiecrats would just filibuster any civil rights legislation back in the 50s and 60s.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 18, 2019

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/nprinskeep/status/1097249119964459010?s=21

Sure Steve.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Ague Proof posted:

If someone cares enough to stand in the assembly for hours or how long it takes, it must be an issue that matters a lot to them. Or that's the theory. Now you don't need to physically take the chamber.

It was a problem when the Southern block of Dixiecrats would just filibuster any civil rights legislation back in the 50s and 60s.

I understand the filibuster where someone stands in the chamber and won’t shut up. I do not understand the filibuster where a party can just go “no” and the bill is dead.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

eviltastic posted:

It is very weird to me, given what you describe, that this person hasn't been targeted for replacement by now. It's a political appointment with no fixed term. Slipping through the cracks is one thing, but I wouldn't at all expect the vested interests in question to be complacent. You have a view on what's going on there?

Maybe trump thinks the dude will help his lovely restaurants pass a health inspection?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Your Taint posted:

True, but if someone is a truly good person and don't hate gays or whatever and eat the cracker, is it a bad thing? Does it make society worse in any way if that's how that particular person chooses to live their life?

Look, all religions *by definition* either require or at least encourage their followers to accept or create "answers" to fundamentally unanswerable questions on extremely tenuous grounds/evidence. That's not a great thing, especially when many religions go on to ask followers to accept blatantly incorrect answers to questions that can be addressed with evidence. That's not a great thing, though I'm not going to personally give anyone a hard time for their spirituality (especially since so many people find it useful). But we should hold people and religious groups accountable for the lovely parts of their worldviews, especially if it comes from a religious source.

Your Taint posted:

How is it different than when a certain sect or cluster of followers of a non Christian religion is lovely and people come out to defend that religion as a whole from attackers (as they should, btw)?

I mean, if it's cool to poo poo on Christians as a whole when a church is homophobic or lovely in some other way, why isn't it cool to defend them as a whole under the same circumstances?

Nobody is making GBS threads on Christians or Christianity as a whole (except maybe me in this post).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

I'm pretty sure it is.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I’m pretty sure Federal Judges would want to make an example of that kind of behavior too.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I understand the filibuster where someone stands in the chamber and won’t shut up. I do not understand the filibuster where a party can just go “no” and the bill is dead.

To save time they've gone to "if you threaten to filibuster" because the Senate has only so many days in session and so much time to deal with legislation, so rather than waste the time they just acknowledge that someone will filibuster and don't bring it up.

It's a stupid thing really, a filibuster and filibuster-proof conceptualization would be a lot more useful if there the US had a parliamentary system, but with a two-party system, it just contributes to the dysfunction.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Ooof. Restrooms: not at all tied to any recent political controversies involving equality or inclusive/exclusiveness.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Remember that time that Palin had a bunch of politicians in crosshairs and then Gabby Giffords got shot and Palin was like "of course you arent supposed to take me putting politicians literally in crosshairs of a gun as literal"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

eviltastic posted:

I'm not certain, but my impression is Gottlieb is basically just being incredibly strategic with his pronouncements. He's bundling periodic or long-scheduled changes in with new initiatives in with new actions, framing divisive issues with rhetorics of inevitability (e.g. presenting a given broad issue/change in terms of historic examples of longstanding, severe examples of abuse that make good press copy), he has a really tight understanding of policy issues and arguments (I've seen him handle adverse questioning on the record up close and he handles it very smoothly). He's letting FDA determine the scope of the changes, and he's not trying to champion some new, disruptive leadership initiative.

Above all else: he's selective about what he's pursuing. initial announcements are leveraged as the thin end of the wedge for bigger, more controversial changes, sure, but there are all sorts of needed reforms that he's not pursuing, because he knows they're either politically unfeasible or would simply attract too much attention. Being able to make decisions about what's actually achieveable, and making sure they're things the FDA career employees want, means he stays off the broader political radar and quietly get things done. It's clear this recent dietary supplement announcement has been in preparation for at least four months, but I heard nothing about it despite being in close contact with one of the organizations that's involved. These are all the marks of an effective bureaucrat, and no one thought he had it in him when he came in- he was viewed with every inch of the distrust that a Trump appointee coming from industry deserved.

He's also a miserably boring public speaker when reading from prepared material. Frankly, I'm glad there's one thing I'm better at than him- he's basically executing on a set of strategies and initiatives I'd grown up planning to perform at FDA. I'm incredibly jealous that he's taking my childhood dream away, even if I'm thrilled with the results so far.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 18, 2019

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

KKKLIP ART posted:

Remember that time that Palin had a bunch of politicians in crosshairs and then Gabby Giffords got shot and Palin was like "of course you arent supposed to take me putting politicians literally in crosshairs of a gun as literal"

And nothing happened to Palin for it. Its to hard to prove intent.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because having a controversial bill that can be stopped by a minority party is a wonderful thing to have when you're in, or expect to eventually be in, the minority.

The disadvantage of having controversial bills stopped by the opposing minority party seems big, but isn't - a lot of bills that wouldn't get 60 votes wouldn't get 50 votes either.

For example, anti-lynching bills in the 60s and the ACA repeal.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No but almost (it was Democrats reacting to other Democrats in the 60s abusing the filibuster to prevent civil rights laws). Originally the Senate would consider one item at a time, so a filibuster meant you had to have an actual person on the floor saying words to prevent a vote, and crucially preventing any other business from being conducted. Robert Byrd in the 70s said "Hey guys, what if instead of requiring that we made a dual track system where bills being debated can just languish on the side while the Senate moves on to other business?" So now we've got the modern filibuster that's functionally no different from a 60 vote requirement.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Mind_Taker posted:

It can be a threat and can be a crime but what’s much more likely is that the judge presiding over your case is going to be much less likely to put up with you and your lawyers bullshit and will likely now be looking at a much harsher sentence if you’re convicted. All in all the legal term for this would be “A bad move”

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

To save time they've gone to "if you threaten to filibuster" because the Senate has only so many days in session and so much time to deal with legislation, so rather than waste the time they just acknowledge that someone will filibuster and don't bring it up.

It's a stupid thing really, a filibuster and filibuster-proof conceptualization would be a lot more useful if there the US had a parliamentary system, but with a two-party system, it just contributes to the dysfunction.

It would also make more sense if the Senate was sane and/or more representative of the US, instead of being far more conservative and pro-corporate/wealthy than the average American.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
A modern megachurch typically aims to be as generically positive and uncontroversial as possible, doubly so if they realize a celebrity regularly attends. The less people know their pastors' actual stances on weighty topics, the better. It's not in those church leaderships' best interests for you to really get engaged beyond inviting other people to the church. I'm not saying it's unfair to call Chris Pratt out on what his church believes, but I just wanted to point out how common it is for the attendees of a megachurch to be ignorant of the beliefs of its staff, and that is by design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Before someone freaks out on me - yes it is bad and horrendously undemocratic but it's useful to the people in power to change it.