Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

absolutely anything posted:

they got a bunch of prototype gen1 assets but no actual rom dump and made a romhack to try and slot what they had into the game, big twitter thread explaining and showing off poo poo with link to zip of assets at the end

https://twitter.com/helixchamber/status/1097431442265653248

also article https://helixchamber.com/2019/02/16/what-dreams-may-come/

Pretty neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What I love is all the people experiencing their first prototype release claiming it's fake because Nintendo of America/Japan or any Gamefreak staff members won't comment on it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if only iwata could ask .....

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What is a "living dex?" I see that term a lot. Does it mean all the Pokémon in a given game/generation? Or all the god drat Pokémon that exists across all generations?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Every Pokemon across all generations stored in Pokemon Bank or a single game ready to transfer to the next Pokemon game. The idea is to then only have to collect the 100 or so new Pokemon.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

chaosapiant posted:

What is a "living dex?" I see that term a lot. Does it mean all the Pokémon in a given game/generation? Or all the god drat Pokémon that exists across all generations?

It's a 100% complete Pokedex but you have every evolution stage and every different form a Pokemon can have in the box.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ah, and it's "living" because every new game/gen allows you to update it? Does that include things like multiple colors/variations of mons? Like Alolan rattatatdatass and notjapan rattattatdatass. I hope that makes sense what i'm asking.

Edit for more: And also that means say, having a raichu, Pikachu, baby-Pikachu at the same time right?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

chaosapiant posted:

Ah, and it's "living" because every new game/gen allows you to update it? Does that include things like multiple colors/variations of mons? Like Alolan rattatatdatass and notjapan rattattatdatass. I hope that makes sense what i'm asking.

Things like different Uknown, and Vivillion forms count, yes. Some people take it to crazy-pants levels and have shiny versions of everything too.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it’s living because you actually have the monsters on hand. you have have a complete dex through trading and only have a single monster yourself but that’s an extreme

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Another question..I've finished Y and Alpha Sapphire this year. I had started Sun but then just bought Ultra Moon and i'm playing that instead. Aside from version specific legs, am I missing anything by not playing the Non ultra version of gen 7?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Neo_Crimson posted:

Things like different Uknown, and Vivillion forms count, yes. Some people take it to crazy-pants levels and have shiny versions of everything too.

There’s a couple of streamers on Twitch going for a shiny dex and it’s basically the most insane grind ever once you get into the ones you get into the ones you need to soft reset every time for. One dude was going for one of the fossils was last i glanced he was over 10,000 resets into it. TEN THOUSAND. That’s loving insane.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

chaosapiant posted:

Edit for more: And also that means say, having a raichu, Pikachu, baby-Pikachu at the same time right?

Yes. Every member of an evolutionary line is represented by different individual (a Pichu, a Pikachu and a Raichu)

Variants like different forms may be included depending on the person. I personally include the Alolan variants, but not say the different forms of Oricorio.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

If it has a different menu sprite it counts as different to me. I have basically every Pokemon in a living dex currently, including all the Pikachu that wear hats. Thanks for re-releasing those, Game Freak! I just need more Deoxys forms but I don't have the heart to restart my Alpha Sapphire file to get them.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I had a living deck up whatever gen Platinum (or Black/White, can’t remember which one I played last) was but I never got a 3DS so those are all lost to me :rip:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Acquiring a living dex seems like enough insanity that getting shinies should just be a cool bonus. How do people pursue shiny-dexs without quitting their jobs or not playing other games? Or is that just what they do?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got a living Dex in Pokemon let's go, which I intend to continue doing if they continue to release sequels in the same vein... within reason. One Unown is plenty.

One of each, alolan forms... I don't give a poo poo about every possible castform or butterfly color though

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Let’s Go isn’t going to become “the mainline” is it? I’m hoping switch gen 8 is a proper style Pokémon game that supports the bank.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The status of Let's go hasn't really been determined yet. It could very well be treated as a remake and become the only source for Kanto Pokemon for the next generation (at least until Sinnoh remakes happen)

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The whole point of the bank is being able to carry your pokemon forward regardless of new hardware, it would be downright bizarre if they just gave that up. People would be pissed too

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's bank renewal week if you've been using it since the start. I can't renew for another two days but keep that in mind.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

chaosapiant posted:

Acquiring a living dex seems like enough insanity that getting shinies should just be a cool bonus. How do people pursue shiny-dexs without quitting their jobs or not playing other games? Or is that just what they do?

Getting a living dex pulled together isn't the hardest thing in the world if you have a couple of generations worth of games now that Bank is a thing.
I think I got mine together with minimal trading with third parties by using Diamond, Heart Gold, Black, Black 2, X, and maybe Y. I would have to go back and check. I think there was also pretty significant overlap in those games as well.

It helped that I did this in the year when they released all the Mythicals month by month to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the games.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I've been getting back into poke late last year and learned of the living dex idea.
Outside of Mythicals it's p easy so far, I'm in the mid 500's ATM in gen 6. (And 7 once I bring em forward).
I won't go for stuff like all formes (yet), but all breedable ones need to have the trainerID of one of my own saves.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 18, 2019

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i have a living dex but im too lazy to organize it. pokemon bank needs to let me sort all pokemon into boxes by number

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I got a living dex that was mainly done in Gen 6 since I didn't fancy moving up my living dex from Gen 5 one box at a time. Catching a various bunch of Pokemon does give the games more life, but it's not something you really need to worry about doing. I did cheat a bit and clone Deoxys and Vivillon and that for the different forms. Honestly, there's just enough space in the PC for all the different forms of Pokemon now, there's like over a hundred of them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My main gen 8 wish is for them to just say "gently caress it" and renumber and reorganize the Pokedex in a sensible manner. Put the evolution chains with later discovered babies and evolutions next to each other where they belong, nidoran is one species, etc

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

absolutely anything posted:

they got a bunch of prototype gen1 assets but no actual rom dump and made a romhack to try and slot what they had into the game, big twitter thread explaining and showing off poo poo with link to zip of assets at the end

https://twitter.com/helixchamber/status/1097431442265653248

also article https://helixchamber.com/2019/02/16/what-dreams-may-come/

quote:

-Giovanni was a Flying-type trainer. Look at the Earth Badge – no kidding.

Finally, eight year old me can rest easy knowing why the last badge was a green feather.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

My main gen 8 wish is for them to just say "gently caress it" and renumber and reorganize the Pokedex in a sensible manner. Put the evolution chains with later discovered babies and evolutions next to each other where they belong, nidoran is one species, etc

Yeah, the Nidoran situation is really weird. It's like one of those real life situations where two different stages in the same creature's life cycle are thought to be different species because nobody knew one was a pupa for the other. It makes even less sense now that there's actual sexual dimorphism in most pokemon

edit: eh, not a great comparison but still it's weird that it's the only pokemon where different genders are treated as different species

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 18, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THE loving MOON posted:

Yeah, the Nidoran situation is really weird. It's like one of those real life situations where two different stages in the same creature's life cycle are thought to be different species because nobody knew one was a pupa for the other. It makes even less sense now that there's actual sexual dimorphism in most pokemon

edit: eh, not a great comparison but still it's weird that it's the only pokemon where different genders are treated as different species

Well there's Miltank and Tauros. Those are the same species different gender, change my mind

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

THE loving MOON posted:

it's the only pokemon where different genders are treated as different species

Nah, there are three other official m/f pairs:

• Volbeat and Illumise
  • Tauros and Miltank
  • Latias and Latios

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Well there's Miltank and Tauros. Those are the same species different gender, change my mind

I mean, that makes some sense, they are in neighboring regions afterall. Red probably just selectively excluded all the miltanks from his vision because of some cow related past trauma.

I guess there's Gallade too, actually

^^edit: Forgot about them too

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Gallade and Froslass are debatable, since their counterparts (Gardevoir and Glalie, respectively) were introduced before them and can be of both genders.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Dehry posted:

It's bank renewal week if you've been using it since the start. I can't renew for another two days but keep that in mind.

Thank you for the reminder, my pass had expired but not long enough to lose my bank!

My S/M living dex is almost complete, just missing a bunch of trade evos and the version exclusive legendaries.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Solumin posted:

Thank you for the reminder, my pass had expired but not long enough to lose my bank!

My S/M living dex is almost complete, just missing a bunch of trade evos and the version exclusive legendaries.

My longest death march was going through Ultra Moon to get Stakataka to recomplete my living dex. I took like a year off from playing before I bred my UM team and finally did it last month.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

There are likely even more reasons than we think for why that won't happen, but maybe a custom Pokedex sorting like that at the very least would be amazing.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I just hope Pokémon Bank becomes accessible on the Switch. I believe your account is tied to your Nintendo ID.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zuzie posted:

I just hope Pokémon Bank becomes accessible on the Switch. I believe your account is tied to your Nintendo ID.

I was mentioning this earlier, but it absolutely should be. Otherwise, wtf am I paying for it and colleting 'mons if I can't migrate them from this device?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m more worried that they’ll let you transfer Pokemon one way - 3DS to Switch, and then they’re stuck there, with no shuffling back and forth

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

indigi posted:

I’m more worried that they’ll let you transfer Pokemon one way - 3DS to Switch, and then they’re stuck there, with no shuffling back and forth
Isn't that how it works with every generation ATM?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zedd posted:

Isn't that how it works with every generation ATM?

Not really? So far you can't go back go Gen 1 on the VC, but you can move Pokermans around between XY/ORAS/USUM. That said, I haven't tried to move an alolan pokermate back, but the bank lets you swap them around without issue. Has anyone actually tried moving the alola breeds back to XY/ORAS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Once a Pokemon is dropped into (Ultra) Sun/Moon the border around it changes and can no longer be sent to XYORAS games.