Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I lost interest in painting 40k stuff and moved over to flames of war before settling into bolt action. I got so many spare GW round bases I’m thinking of doing my infantry on them so I can use them as IG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Z the IVth posted:

I've heard various things about CMON becoming unstuck but I can't seem to find anything on Google. Has anyone done a write up about it?

CMON kickstarters aren't the problem (other than they keep messing up my order for SOIAF). I think it is more they aren't seeing good profits off the mini games and are moving away from them a bit.
Wrath of Kings and Dark Age are both good, so it is a shame if they end up getting sacrificed.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

LordAba posted:

CMON kickstarters aren't the problem (other than they keep messing up my order for SOIAF). I think it is more they aren't seeing good profits off the mini games and are moving away from them a bit.
Wrath of Kings and Dark Age are both good, so it is a shame if they end up getting sacrificed.

Considering the total lack of support for most of their lines once the kickstarters run out (and doing most of their sales via kickstarter), why are they finding this the least bit surprising?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CMON minis have also started suffering from Geedub Detail Fetish Syndrome

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt8r-oHjjfk/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

So much excess of detail that even 12th level paint wizard Angel Giraldez struggled to make them look distinct

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Holy poo poo that’s busy. It’s also a shame since Angel does his best work on flat surfaces with lots of room to play.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

One problem with CMON is they keep hiring some of the best artists in the business to design the models.

A lot has been done by Adrian Smith, who is an industry giant. If you're unfamiliar with him, google his name + warhammer and you'll recognize a lot of his work. He'll paint up a image like this:

Which CMON will then convert to a model at a 1:1 detail ratio, giving us this:

This looks amazing. It will catch eyes from across the internet to the latest kickstarter project as people are blown away by the quality of the art and the detail of the models that are based off of it. People then buy the game and months later when the mini finally arrives they end up with something far too busy and far too detailed to ever try to paint. But CMON knows that most people don't buy the game to paint the minis, so they will keep producing models that are too detailed for their own good.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Edit: I have no idea how this doublepost happened.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm still trying to figure out how to paint the river dragon from rising sun that I received a year ago.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Fashionable Jorts posted:

One problem with CMON is they keep hiring some of the best artists in the business to design the models.

A lot has been done by Adrian Smith, who is an industry giant. If you're unfamiliar with him, google his name + warhammer and you'll recognize a lot of his work. He'll paint up a image like this:

Which CMON will then convert to a model at a 1:1 detail ratio, giving us this:

This looks amazing. It will catch eyes from across the internet to the latest kickstarter project as people are blown away by the quality of the art and the detail of the models that are based off of it. People then buy the game and months later when the mini finally arrives they end up with something far too busy and far too detailed to ever try to paint. But CMON knows that most people don't buy the game to paint the minis, so they will keep producing models that are too detailed for their own good.

I agree that the model looks fantastic. I'm struggling with the notion that it's "far too busy and far too detailed to ever try to paint" though. If anything, I'd suggest it's got just the right amount of detail.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I agree that the model looks fantastic. I'm struggling with the notion that it's "far too busy and far too detailed to ever try to paint" though. If anything, I'd suggest it's got just the right amount of detail.

I may have grabbed a poor example, as the fire giant is fairly smooth. It just happened to be the first thing I could think of, so was what I searched for.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

All of those look fine and I'm a p. mediocre painter

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

I may have grabbed a poor example, as the fire giant is fairly smooth. It just happened to be the first thing I could think of, so was what I searched for.

These are definitely more detailed (and also pretty cool), but I don't think they're too busy to paint either. Most of the details on them are easily tackled with a base -> wash -> highlight approach and they don't seem to be particularly large. The way the details are laid out you can get a lot of mileage from drybrushing key features like the beard hair or chainmail.

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how to paint the river dragon from rising sun that I received a year ago.

I went and looked at the River Dragon and while I don't like the model, I agree that it'd be pretty daunting to paint. The Water effect at the bottom is asking for a lot of smooth blending that I think would be a huge pain in the rear end to pull off, plus the way it's constructed it looks like a chore to get into the areas underneath major parts of the body. Good luck!

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 16, 2019

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Those don't look even remotely difficult to paint?

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

They're pretty daunting for miniatures in a self-contained board game, especially when they are just one dozens that you get in the box.

Maybe I'm just easily overwhelmed? But approaching those games from the perspective of a board game person, rather than tabletop wargame person, its a lot to deal with.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

They're pretty daunting for miniatures in a self-contained board game, especially when they are just one dozens that you get in the box.

Maybe I'm just easily overwhelmed? But approaching those games from the perspective of a board game person, rather than tabletop wargame person, its a lot to deal with.

I dunno, those look really easy to get a good tabletop level out of with just a wash and drybrush.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nah there's definitely a lot of poo poo on them. There's so many chains and devices. A lot of it has become so normal that it doesn't look off, and they are one piece models so a lot of things will look odd unless you give them enough outlining and definition. The real sin is that they are awful to look at on the game board. Just like a lot of the GW sculpts with a bunch of crap on them, it's hard to identify clear outlines for each unit. CMON actually anticipated this and included colored bases to identify priests/leaders/soldiers in rising sun because you'll see stuff like this:

Enjoy parsing the different unit types in that mess while playing. Those are 3 different unit types for green, and each faction has two alternate sculpts per unit type.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Nah there's definitely a lot of poo poo on them. There's so many chains and devices. A lot of it has become so normal that it doesn't look off, and they are one piece models so a lot of things will look odd unless you give them enough outlining and definition. The real sin is that they are awful to look at on the game board. Just like a lot of the GW sculpts with a bunch of crap on them, it's hard to identify clear outlines for each unit. CMON actually anticipated this and included colored bases to identify priests/leaders/soldiers in rising sun because you'll see stuff like this:

Enjoy parsing the different unit types in that mess while playing. Those are 3 different unit types for green, and each faction has two alternate sculpts per unit type.

Yeah that's the problem with no painting them, they look like blobs of plastic. Because of all the detail, they'll take washes and drybrushes extremely well and paint up pretty fast.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
those models look fine to me

Nowhere near as bad as the angel Sigmars with 10 billion tiny details on them

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Take into account that they might look scary, but once you learn the basics it becomes easy to "block paint, wash, light drybrush for highlight" detail like this over making large flat areas look smooth.
Some of CMON humans are a touch on the busy side which tends to make it difficult telling what is what when getting that initial blocking done, I'll give you that. That's shy nice, clear pictures of the artwork or painted models on the boxes go a long way to help.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think most of the CMON stuff looks pretty good but the Hate stuff definitely does suffer from being overly busy. The minis being like 100 variants of "Khorne dude" doesn't help either.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
The Hate Trailer is hilarious, by the way. Just a little over the top. (a little NSFW for language, too.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq6ECieEg8

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

These barely register on the Belisarius Cawl Stupid Detail-o-meter.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ninja division: we have four employees and we're hosed

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Hahaha the Kickstarter business model is so completely hosed

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

It wouldn't have to be if the people doing this poo poo weren't fly-by-night operations not doing their research before promising the world. Successful Kickstarters happen, but usually only because someone has either really put their homework into shipping and production costs, or because they've been bitten in the rear end before and have learned from previous abject failures. Four dudes going, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." rarely makes for a successful KS campaign.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That chart comparing kickstarter revenues to expenses is simply :discourse:

Do people not research what this poo poo actually costs before going stretch-goal crazy? (This is a rhetorical question because clearly the answer is "No.")

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Anime tiddy robot fight looks like a sane and reasonable board game

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Ilor posted:

It wouldn't have to be if the people doing this poo poo weren't fly-by-night operations not doing their research before promising the world. Successful Kickstarters happen, but usually only because someone has either really put their homework into shipping and production costs, or because they've been bitten in the rear end before and have learned from previous abject failures. Four dudes going, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if..." rarely makes for a successful KS campaign.

I’d argue that Kickstarter will inherently attract disproportionate amounts the fly-by-night crowd just because it requires so much less prep work than getting a business loan or whatever. If you’re already a company or have a business plan that a bank can understand you can just operate normally.

On a related note, I have to send a couple follow up emails for kickstarters I backed then never received.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

I’d argue that Kickstarter will inherently attract disproportionate amounts the fly-by-night crowd just because it requires so much less prep work than getting a business loan or whatever.
No disagreement.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I know more than a handful of people in my area who go in on pretty much every trad game Kickstarter that pops up, and poo poo like this never seems to scare them away. I just don't get the appeal of essentially gambling for toy soldiers that might never see the light of day.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SteelMentor posted:

I know more than a handful of people in my area who go in on pretty much every trad game Kickstarter that pops up, and poo poo like this never seems to scare them away. I just don't get the appeal of essentially gambling for toy soldiers that might never see the light of day.

Nerds are gullible, forever and always. I hope the Kickstarter fad dies out sooner than later, for every cool project that goes smoothly there are at least three that get crushed by their hubris, not to mention the companies that get addicted to it and just shovel the proceeds from the current Kickstarter into setting up the next one.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Nerds are gullible, forever and always. I hope the Kickstarter fad dies out sooner than later, for every cool project that goes smoothly there are at least three that get crushed by their hubris, not to mention the companies that get addicted to it and just shovel the proceeds from the current Kickstarter into setting up the next one.

This is what put me off Guild Ball after going hard into it for the first two editions. Watching Steamforged just pile on Kickstarter after Kickstarter and pretty much put GB on the backburner, with increasingly hard to follow events when they did turn their gaze away from whatever video game licence they dredged up, made me super uneasy.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

That chart comparing kickstarter revenues to expenses is simply :discourse:

Do people not research what this poo poo actually costs before going stretch-goal crazy? (This is a rhetorical question because clearly the answer is "No.")

They're also paying royalties out on what is essentially their own IP in addition to paying salaries to the owners.

Should have just cut and run IMO, there's no accountability on Kickstarter, and the legions of basement dwelling fans aren't likely to show up with a shotgun to collect their toy soldiers.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Just wait until some actual laws regulating it get passed, then it'll be hella hosed.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Z the IVth posted:

They're also paying royalties out on what is essentially their own IP in addition to paying salaries to the owners.

Should have just cut and run IMO, there's no accountability on Kickstarter, and the legions of basement dwelling fans aren't likely to show up with a shotgun to collect their toy soldiers.

They might show up with very tiny miniature shotguns though

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

SteelMentor posted:

This is what put me off Guild Ball after going hard into it for the first two editions. Watching Steamforged just pile on Kickstarter after Kickstarter and pretty much put GB on the backburner, with increasingly hard to follow events when they did turn their gaze away from whatever video game licence they dredged up, made me super uneasy.

You mean, releasing two new teams recently, a new season a short while ago, two new teams soon to be realeased, one player and one captain for each main team is "putting a game on the backburner"?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Iceclaw posted:

You mean, releasing two new teams recently, a new season a short while ago, two new teams soon to be realeased, one player and one captain for each main team is "putting a game on the backburner"?

It was certainly what it felt like a year and a half ago. The Kickstarter after Kickstarter thing still stands tho.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Moola posted:

They might show up with very tiny miniature shotguns though

These will be delayed.

6 to 8 weeks.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Z the IVth posted:

This bit made my jaw bounce off the floor when I read their previous statement.

"we don't have the cash to pay for production because our right hand has to pay the left hand royalties so there's no money left you see. But we are trying to get other people to give us more money and we charged you shipping for the thing we can't afford to pay the factory to pack or finish making let alone ship it then post to you. Can we interest you in our next game? No?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At least some of the Ninja Division / Soda Pop layoffs are going to other companies. Kai Nesbit is heading for Jasco Games. Third time's the charm, maybe Jasco won't go belly up in a few years!