Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah, in the swapper I think the game’s makers actually built some of the little spaceships as well as pieces of the levels physically out of clay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think this is ibb & obb?

That's an excellent guess but that's not it - it wasn't on Steam and I'm almost sure it was from Microsoft Studios but I can't find it. You spent most of your playing time in a dungeon or underground area and started out controlling one character. At some early point you were cloned into two in a split screen. Some of the challenge was providing one controller input to control both characters, as the terrain each character had to cover was different. When you died you were brought back in the same spot without any penalty, other than your final score.

EDIT: I found it, it's called Kalimba: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_WcDX-Xdo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

netwerk23 posted:

A few months back I visited a friend in the hospital and there was an XBox One in the room. A handful of games were pre-installed and I'm trying to find one of them.

The game was 2-d, side scrolling. You controlled a character navigating a dungeon with puzzles. At one point your one character split into two, and you controlled both of them at the same time, opt and bottom of the screen. I think one was purple and the other green? As you progressed through the levels, you were given a score and a perfect score gave you a golden insignia. The levels climbed up a tree, I think. The game had a hippy/new-age vibe to it. My friend thinks the game started with a Z but I went through a list of games and didn't recognize it.

Thanks in advance.

Fe?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

the swapper i think

Yep that's it. Man, such a well reviewed hit and I think it sold well too but I haven't heard anything from this team since.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zanzibar Ham posted:

You didn't mention anything about the weird fog-of-war mechanic it had, but maybe Conquest Earth?

No, but oddly enough I did play this too.

Bondematt posted:

Dark Colony?

It was this! Thank you ! It's way uglier than I remember!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Slightly off the topic of the thread, but I remember someone talking about a recent game, described as a Rimworld/Dwarf Fortress/Gnomoria style game, but it was specifically mentioned that unlike those games if you want to make a kitchen you don't just build a kitchen station you have to build a kettle and a stove and such individually.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Splicer posted:

Slightly off the topic of the thread, but I remember someone talking about a recent game, described as a Rimworld/Dwarf Fortress/Gnomoria style game, but it was specifically mentioned that unlike those games if you want to make a kitchen you don't just build a kitchen station you have to build a kettle and a stove and such individually.

Clockwork empire?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I seem to remember watching a short LP once of what I believe was some freeware game (maybe from Japan) where you died and gone to Hell, which is like a huge office, and you need to find a way out. I don't really remember the gameplay itself sadly. Ring a bell for anyone possibly?

e: IIRC it was kinda cartoony, maybe with some ye ol' point-and-click adventure-esque gameplay, though not necessarily actually point-and-click, maybe you rub up on things to pick'em up

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 1, 2019

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I seem to remember watching a short LP once of what I believe was some freeware game (maybe from Japan) where you died and gone to Hell, which is like a huge office, and you need to find a way out. I don't really remember the gameplay itself sadly. Ring a bell for anyone possibly?

e: IIRC it was kinda cartoony, maybe with some ye ol' point-and-click adventure-esque gameplay, though not necessarily actually point-and-click, maybe you rub up on things to pick'em up

Hopkin's FBI? davidspackage did an LP of it years ago

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Andorra posted:

Hopkin's FBI? davidspackage did an LP of it years ago

Nah, that game's pretty memorable for all the wrong reasons. :v:

The game I'm thinking of was all about being in an office building-esque place in hell and trying to get out of there.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Kinda makes me think of the Karoshi games, though it's a long shot.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Nah, those are about killing yourself. I've also asked in LP and they have no clue either, so maybe I somehow imagined it even though it's really not the kind of thing I'd come up with myself.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The only thing that I can think of but this reminds me of Adult Swim's Corporate Climber. It's a platform game where the levels are different floors and you try to get to the top to become the new boss. When you get to the top you die and go to hell and you travel downwards and try to become the new lord of hell. I think? It's been a while since I played.

Here in case anyone is interested but it requires :spooky:JAVA:spooky:

http://www.adultswim.com/games/web/corporate-climber

Edit: Added the link and corrected the name

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 2, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I remember that game, but I could swear what I was remembering was more adventure-y and less arcade-y with no platforming. Most importantly the game starts when you die and go to Hell. I think I'll just give up, I guess I did just make it up in my head.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Parts of what you've described sound kinda like Grim Fandango.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hell in Guacamelee is also depicted as a giant office building.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I also have vague recollections of the game you're talking about, but haven't been able to locate it. So at the very least either you're not misremembering it or we're both crazy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I also feel like I know what this game is, and I was even thinking it may be Derek Yu or Konjak adjacent, like it was a Gamemaker or Klik Team game from the early aughts and drawn in their anime-pixely style that was popular at that time.

But hell as a bureaucracy is also a popular stereotype. Spiral Knights had cute demons running an office and I think that was the aesthetic with a LucasArts game as well.

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!
Hello!

Please help me identify this game from my youth! I played this quite a bit in the summer of 91 or 92 at a friends house

Here are the fax:

It was a bit like a war hammer type table top game. You bought your units and set them up on the field before play, and then started fighting.
This would have been on a PC
The units were all fairly ridiculous and disproportionately sized
Here’s the one thing that anyone who played it will remember - it played a sample of Jimi Hendrix going “ooh foxy lady!” relentlessly
There weren’t any foxy ladies actually in it as far as I remember. But there were foxes and/or cats
This was in Britain and was probably a PD or shareware game
I didn’t suffer any brain injuries or severe fevers during the period, I’m certain it was a real thing

Thanks!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Adventure game, point and click, probably late 90s, sort of Myst-like. It was released only in Eastern Europe. All the characters were like muppets in design and it took place in a dark, grody city. It seriously looked like this old drug commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Ku6RGlJyk

A goon did a Let's Play and I know it's archived but I have no idea where to start looking without clicking on every game I don't recognize.

It's not The Dark Eye.

e: Found it. It's called Blackout.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 24, 2019

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Beezle posted:

Hello!

Please help me identify this game from my youth! I played this quite a bit in the summer of 91 or 92 at a friends house

Here are the fax:

It was a bit like a war hammer type table top game. You bought your units and set them up on the field before play, and then started fighting.
This would have been on a PC
The units were all fairly ridiculous and disproportionately sized
Here’s the one thing that anyone who played it will remember - it played a sample of Jimi Hendrix going “ooh foxy lady!” relentlessly
There weren’t any foxy ladies actually in it as far as I remember. But there were foxes and/or cats
This was in Britain and was probably a PD or shareware game
I didn’t suffer any brain injuries or severe fevers during the period, I’m certain it was a real thing

Thanks!

Space Crusade?

https://youtu.be/AeMAvDe1NU0

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I have a vague memory of watching part of a game about surviving during/after a flood. 3D graphics, nothing too fancy, but not the extremely blocky kind either.

The memorable bit was that you got to pick from several choices along the way (I think that might have been the only interactivity in the game), where at least one of them was being a tremendous rear end in a top hat. The main one i remember involved a chef hanging from the edge of a cliff, and your options being:
1. Help him up
2. Do nothing
3. Take his hat

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Nostalgamus posted:

I have a vague memory of watching part of a game about surviving during/after a flood. 3D graphics, nothing too fancy, but not the extremely blocky kind either.

The memorable bit was that you got to pick from several choices along the way (I think that might have been the only interactivity in the game), where at least one of them was being a tremendous rear end in a top hat. The main one i remember involved a chef hanging from the edge of a cliff, and your options being:
1. Help him up
2. Do nothing
3. Take his hat

Raw Danger, perhaps?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Graphics for Raw Danger look a bit too good compared to what i remember, but the mobygames page for that had a link to Disaster Report, which looks closer to what I remember.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Nostalgamus posted:

Graphics for Raw Danger look a bit too good compared to what i remember, but the mobygames page for that had a link to Disaster Report, which looks closer to what I remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldQ0pnyXFUg

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Well, that settles that. Pretty sure it was exactly that video, too.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Well that explains why you didn't remember the graphics looking that good :whitewater:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Cross-posting from the Steam thread:

Krazyface posted:

Alright. I remember my cousins owning this game in the late 90s, on their PC. It was a 2D platformer game where the player could drop bombs. There was an inventory; you had tons of weak blue bombs (the counter was usually stuck at 99, although you could actually run out), and you could acquire green and red bombs around the map. The bombs would destroy the scenery, and I remember there were several different states the blocks could be in, before they got blown into ash. The maps had a very basic form of terrain deformation, and the structures could collapse. The game had enemies in it; I remember in one level there was this single giant green crab that just floated around, and the game played this terrifying music whenever it was on screen. I don't think we ever got past that level, we couldn't figure out if it was even killable.

The game had a very plain, descriptive name, something similar to bomber-man, which has made finding it very difficult. It wasn't in English-- I think maybe it was Spanish.

Someone suggested "Clonk", but it's not that. This game had platforms in the air; you didn't really dig into the ground much.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Thinking of an old Japanese arcade side-scrolling platformer where you were a little chibi fantasy mage guy trying to rescue a princess who I think had turned to been turned to stone? You shot fireballs in an curved arc that limited their range. I think it had a power-up store, myabe? I remember the end boss fired shots in an s-wave pattern. It was similar to the later Capcom Willow game, IIRC.

This would have dated back to late eighties or thereabouts.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Sounds like Wardner, but haven’t made it far enough to know about the boss.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I played a game around the mid-00’s with a character named Abalone who kept calling you shrimp, I think. You had to best him in a pool. This was all done with really goofy Japanese humor so I initially thought it was a Shadow Hearts game or one of the Suda things like “no more heroes.” No dice. I can’t even find a game with a character called “Abalone” at all!? Any clues?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

chglcu posted:

Sounds like Wardner, but haven’t made it far enough to know about the boss.

Yep, that looks like it, thanks! I think it was "Pyros" in my local arcade.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
90s game, maybe very early 2000s. Some kind of strategy conquery game, I forget the core gameplay but the bit I remember was a circular chamber where you could combine up to 6 or 8 monsters into increasingly tougher monsters. I want to say the new monsters were generated based on inputs rather than just being an obfuscated tech tree.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It was Dominus. Thanks guys!

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I remember Dominus. Not because I owned it, but because I was shocked that the demo of it took a massive 20MB of space on my harddrive, and I had to clear out almost everything else to fit it :corsair:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
There was a game I used to play a couple of years back, probably on android or maybe PC (though I doubt it). I think it was recommended to me here on something awful, so I hope someone recognises my description.

It was a simulator /management game where you controlled a medieval era mercenary company, similar to the strategic layer of xcom or football manager or the diamond dogs parts of MGS5. You hired different types of units like sappers or cavalry to form squads that you sent on different kinds of missions to earn more money, hire better troops and so on. I remember it was all done through menus and had a very brown colour pallet, and I think the name was something Company or Company of something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it couldn't possibly be bastard bonds... could it? did the game have like a medieval leather daddy theme?

battle brothers? darkest dungeon maybe? these are all very much about hiring mercenaries and managing them in drab menus

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
my first thought was battle brothers but there was no mention of combat. everything else kind of lines up though.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
No, as far as I remember it was purely management upgrades and menus, there was no combat. I don't think the dudes you hired had any character art at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
I once played a windows 95/98 era game that was a trivia game themed around caribbean pirates. The questions may or may not have been piratical in nature, but there definitely was some collecting of pieces of eight involved.

It presumably came in one of those 900 shareware game cds.