Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Hell yeah, probably gonna double dip on that and play it again on PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I started playing Masquereda: Songs and Shadows, and I do enjoy the writing, the story and voice acting, but I've just gotten my fifth party member in early Chapter 2, and now I'm faced with an annoying boss fight against Matron Beniva, where you have a few fractions of a second to silence or interrupt her or something or else you get a game over because the only things she does in the fights is try to kill babies. She starts casting an "Ice Tomb" spell, and even if you hit her with silence, it doesn't stop the spell if she started casting.

Oh, and I can't just load a previous save and change my skills and party to get ones more focused on interrupting, because in a truly idiotic decision, the game has no manual saving, only a single checkpoint.

Send one or two of your dudes to attack the ice.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Luisfe posted:

Hell yeah, probably gonna double dip on that and play it again on PC

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

corn in the bible posted:

Prey is cool, although I wish there was more variety in enemies. Either you fight mimics and it's a non-issue, or you fight phantoms and it's a flat check on if you have enough ammo on you or not. The fight's not super exciting either way.

Ammunition depletes surprisingly quickly, so combat in Prey is about making the most efficient use of your resources.

Sneak attacks with the shotgun, luring enemies into turrets (works wonders with Mimics), using GLOO to slow Mimics and lesser phantoms then wrenching them, or hitting enemies with the Disruptor Stun, then attacking them for extra damage while they're helpless. Ignite puddles of oil or open gas lines with bullets and get enemies to walk through the flames. If you're patient and willing to wait, you can kill a Voltaic or Etheric Phantom with as little as six pistol bullets if you get the sneak attack bonus on each of them.

Hwurmp posted:

Send one or two of your dudes to attack the ice.

Okay, I'll try that. I suppose it's my fault for not thinking attacking the cribs with swords was the best way to save a baby's life.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 31, 2019

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ammunition depletes surprisingly quickly, so combat in Prey is about making the most efficient use of your resources.

Sneak attacks with the shotgun, luring enemies into turrets (works wonders with Mimics), using GLOO to slow Mimics and lesser phantoms then wrenching them, or hitting enemies with the Disruptor Stun, then attacking them for extra damage while they're helpless. Ignite puddles of oil or open gas lines with bullets and get enemies to walk through the flames. If you're patient and willing to wait, you can kill a Voltaic or Etheric Phantom with as little as six pistol bullets if you get the sneak attack bonus on each of them.
It should also be noted that sneaking past enemies is an entirely valid strategy... As is throwing poo poo at them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

corn in the bible posted:

Prey is cool, although I wish there was more variety in enemies. Either you fight mimics and it's a non-issue, or you fight phantoms and it's a flat check on if you have enough ammo on you or not. The fight's not super exciting either way.
Combat gets more interesting as the game goes on, thooooooo having played it for the first time recently, a fully upgraded shotgun was able to no-sell pretty much every enemy in the game so. :shrug:

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
It is also probably worth stating, that you shouldn't try to make your first run through the game a no typhon powers run.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Underwhelmed posted:

It is also probably worth stating, that you shouldn't try to make your first run through the game a no typhon powers run.

I found it perfectly fine, if a bit boring. Typhon powers only on the other hand is pretty miserable for a few reasons (such as the higher psi cap being part of the human tree... :negative:)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Human powers op. Typhon powers op. Combine the two and take no prisoners.

Arkane is so good at powers.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I have a recollection that I used shotgun most of the time and just recycled poo poo into shotgun ammo all the time. Best shotgun ammo recycling simulator of all time :thumbsup:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Bolivar posted:

I have a recollection that I used shotgun most of the time and just recycled poo poo into shotgun ammo all the time. Best shotgun ammo recycling simulator of all time :thumbsup:
???Shotgun ammo doesn't require organic matter though???

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yami Fenrir posted:

I found it perfectly fine, if a bit boring. Typhon powers only on the other hand is pretty miserable for a few reasons (such as the higher psi cap being part of the human tree... :negative:)
the key to being an alien is always be drinking from toilets

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I did human powers only the first time and wrecked everything. Combat Focus (slooo-moooo), the skill that let you throw items like the Hulk, Impact Calibration for the wrench which I used quite a bit, and the Sneak Attack. There was probably a skill for firearms in general too.

Maybe in a couple years, I'll play it again and go full on Alien.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
There isn't really weapon skills persay. You have a smith skill that lets you upgrade your weapons further and there is combat focus and sneak attack. Making your weapons stronger is mainly all on upgrade kits.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yami Fenrir posted:

Correct, doable but less enjoyable for most people.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Do we have an "Identify this game I half-remember playing fifteen years ago" thread anymore?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Describe it here and i promise some one will know what it is within the next 8 hours. Even if its an incredibly vague description

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Alright. I remember my cousins owning this game in the late 90s, on their PC. It was a 2D platformer game where the player could drop bombs. There was an inventory; you had tons of weak blue bombs (the counter was usually stuck at 99, although you could actually run out), and you could acquire green and red bombs around the map. The bombs would destroy the scenery, and I remember there were several different states the blocks could be in, before they got blown into ash. The maps had a very basic form of terrain deformation, and the structures could collapse. The game had enemies in it; I remember in one level there was this single giant green crab that just floated around, and the game played this terrifying music whenever it was on screen. I don't think we ever got past that level, we couldn't figure out if it was even killable.

The game had a very plain, descriptive name, something similar to bomber-man, which has made finding it very difficult. It wasn't in English-- I think maybe it was Spanish.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Krazyface posted:

Alright. I remember my cousins owning this game in the late 90s, on their PC. It was a 2D platformer game where the player could drop bombs. There was an inventory; you had tons of weak blue bombs (the counter was usually stuck at 99, although you could actually run out), and you could acquire green and red bombs around the map. The bombs would destroy the scenery, and I remember there were several different states the blocks could be in, before they got blown into ash. The maps had a very basic form of terrain deformation, and the structures could collapse. The game had enemies in it; I remember in one level there was this single giant green crab that just floated around, and the game played this terrifying music whenever it was on screen. I don't think we ever got past that level, we couldn't figure out if it was even killable.

The game had a very plain, descriptive name, something similar to bomber-man, which has made finding it very difficult. It wasn't in English-- I think maybe it was Spanish.

Clonk?

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Krazyface posted:

Do we have an "Identify this game I half-remember playing fifteen years ago" thread anymore?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
re:tropico 6

the pro strat is just to never build houses, as they're a trap. they use up quite a bit of dosh and broke citizens can't live in them unless it's free, so it's just a happiness thing. (particularly cuz for no real reason a lot of citizens end up "broke.") This... surprisingly doesn't completely tank housing happiness given everyone is homeless, but when elections roll around you can call a mulligan on one happiness thing and just ignore housing happiness everytime. Which you probably would have to do normally because seriously stop being broke wtf

There are buildings to get around that, but they're on the back half of the eras.

Secondly, it's just to spam pineapple plantations in the most unfun way possible. You see, while most farms actually want to have a little variety as it boosts efficiency and keeps fertility up, pineapples in particular have a (cheap and might as well be free) upgrade that boosts the efficiency of all other pineapple plantations within a fairly wide radius. That stacks infinitely and you can fit about eight farms under one. (And that's not considering modern farms, which are much smaller.) This means on good land you just have infinite pineapples and your teamsters can't keep up, while on bad land they're just as good as normal ones so you really don't have to give a poo poo.

It's something you can do at any gamestart, money aside, so it's... pretty clear not a lot of actual balancing was put into this at all. Especially considering there were otherwise steps to avoid both these scenarios, with housing being more money regimented and farms losing efficiency fast when spammed so you didn't make blocks of apartments/farms like in previous games.

I've shifted my stance to tbh skip it, go do cities instead. Even on a "being an absolute dick-tator" scale no one is really giving a poo poo at max angry settings. There's rebellions, but all they do is set a building on fire (which is then put out) before being chased away.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I just read every story about Tropico as a reference to modern day Venezuela :regd09:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Oh my gosh, Tangledeep is GORGEOUS. I think it'll be joining my top three rogue-likes. Dungeons of Dredmor, Dungeonmans, and now Tangledeep. I'll need to give it more time since I'm in the honeymoon phase, but noice.

And then, after I grow tired of this one, I have my sights set on ToME.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
One of the biggest background stressors in my life right now is the looming menace of early-onset Alzheimers. My mother-in-law got it on the early side (60ish), and while it's obviously not guaranteed to happen, my wife and I live with the quiet but always present low-grade terror of her getting it even earlier. Most of the time we just try not to think about it, because what good will that do besides uselessly bringing the panic to the foreground?

Anyway, today I finally sat down, after like three years or whatever, to play Firewatch.

I made it about three minutes in before throwing my headphones across the room, having a low-grade panic attack on the couch for a couple of minutes, and then uninstalling and hiding the game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Occultatio posted:

One of the biggest background stressors in my life right now is the looming menace of early-onset Alzheimers. My mother-in-law got it on the early side (60ish), and while it's obviously not guaranteed to happen, my wife and I live with the quiet but always present low-grade terror of her getting it even earlier. Most of the time we just try not to think about it, because what good will that do besides uselessly bringing the panic to the foreground?

Anyway, today I finally sat down, after like three years or whatever, to play Firewatch.

I made it about three minutes in before throwing my headphones across the room, having a low-grade panic attack on the couch for a couple of minutes, and then uninstalling and hiding the game.

Oh god, I'm so sorry. That sounds awful.

I had a similar experience with Night in the Woods - my grandpa had passed away very recently when I got it and then the game opens with a dead grandparent and no. Nope. No thank you.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Totally accurate battle simulator's April fool's joke is pretty good this year!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/508440/Totally_Accurate_Battle_Simulator/

they released the game

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Does Risk of Rain 2 make the game less tedious? I like the basic gameplay of the first but having to deal with 40 enemies the boss spawns while fighting them, and then go kill them all after to get to the next level really makes it drag.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Justin_Brett posted:

Does Risk of Rain 2 make the game less tedious? I like the basic gameplay of the first but having to deal with 40 enemies the boss spawns while fighting them, and then go kill them all after to get to the next level really makes it drag.

RoR2 is better than 1, but if you dont like the idea of killing a bunch of little enemies and a boss every level you probably arent going to like it.

It really scratches the itch of short term gameplay sessions with variety (through weapon and character upgrades Not map/levels) though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
One of the adventure games I previewed, Detective Di, has a release date now, May 1st.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TVB5k6JeYQ

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Is there a Humble Bundle thread? I am looking to trade for Vermintide 2, a friend wants to join me and I have a good chunk of the games from the last few humbles still unused.

PM me with any you might want, would really appreciate it. I'm willing to give up more than I get.

Brother Buer
Oct 23, 2012

TheBigAristotle posted:

Is there a Humble Bundle thread? I am looking to trade for Vermintide 2, a friend wants to join me and I have a good chunk of the games from the last few humbles still unused.

PM me with any you might want, would really appreciate it. I'm willing to give up more than I get.

I don't have plat, but I do have an extra copy, add me on steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/BatmanScoop

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Some of my favorite Weeklong Deals have come around again, titles like The Last Door, Dark Scavenger, and Unforgiving - A Northern Hymn. You can find all of those and a whole lot more in the usual place.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
tropico has always been unbalanced and wildly easy to break open, my problem with the new tropico (5 and 6) is that they shifted to a grid system so you can't do a lot of the fiddly little free placement urban planning stuff anymore. if they're stuck in the "mediocre city builder with an ostensible but ignorable political layer" then nah

4 > 1 > 5 > 6 > 3 > 2 imo

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

RoR2 is better than 1, but if you dont like the idea of killing a bunch of little enemies and a boss every level you probably arent going to like it.

It really scratches the itch of short term gameplay sessions with variety (through weapon and character upgrades Not map/levels) though.

My issue is more that they're only little enemies in the first level, and then it shoves whole packs of bullet sponges at you when no character seems equipped to deal with this, all while you have to concentrate on a boss too.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Justin_Brett posted:

My issue is more that they're only little enemies in the first level, and then it shoves whole packs of bullet sponges at you when no character seems equipped to deal with this, all while you have to concentrate on a boss too.

All the characters in Risk of Rain 2 feel more powerful and are infinitely more mobile than the ones in the first game, so that shouldn't be an issue.

There are still some balance quirks to work out, my gang got stuck fighting a pair of magma worms in the last level for like six minutes, but for the most part RoR2 is way faster-paced and less sloggy than the original. Honestly after playing both the whole gameplay concept feels better suited to 3D than 2D.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

luxury handset posted:

tropico has always been unbalanced and wildly easy to break open, my problem with the new tropico (5 and 6) is that they shifted to a grid system so you can't do a lot of the fiddly little free placement urban planning stuff anymore. if they're stuck in the "mediocre city builder with an ostensible but ignorable political layer" then nah

4 > 1 > 5 > 6 > 3 > 2 imo

Why is 3 so low? 4 is pretty much 3.5

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Brother Buer posted:

I don't have plat, but I do have an extra copy, add me on steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/BatmanScoop

Awesome, I'll message you when I get out of work.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
3 is a bit bare bones in my mind, while 4 added a bunch of dumb crap in the dlc it also added a bunch of other useful functionality which is mostly carried over into 5 and 6. the biggest thing i recall is that you can't import goods in 3 at all, which is critical

also 3 isn't bad, it's just not as good, where 2 is arguably bad

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Apr 1, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Justin_Brett posted:

Some enemies are meant to take a lot of damage before dropping - like the Golems, for example -, but if the mobs begin to take too much damage to drop it usually means you've been taking too long to get through levels. Be like Sonic and go fast. If you intend to loop (maybe to get that goddamned clover at the end of 20 stages) you should try to get energy drinks and the goat hoof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Justin_Brett posted:

I think a good way to deal with this is to move faster while pushing all your buttons a lot. Dont hold cooldowns except your q. Try and clear a little area around the portal before you pop it so the bosses are easier. Drop the difficulty.