Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

What makes people beat their heads against enemies they can't beat when there are other really obvious routes just beside those enemies?

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You can technically kill any boss but being so owned by a mid boss you quit entirely is insanely funny

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love Dark Souls 1 but none of the other games after it ever grabbed me and I’m cool with that.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fallom posted:

Sometimes the game beats you

Canonically the hollows are all players that gave up on the game

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Dark Souls 2 is probably still my favorite, and I'd consider buying it yet again if they ported it to the Switch :anime:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

empathe posted:

I'm really disappointed with Dark Souls on the Switch literally just because if you try to play online and put the Switch to sleep you get kicked to menu.

That happens on every console, you need to quit to the main menu first. It saves when you do so, you'll never lose any progress

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Andrast posted:

What makes people beat their heads against enemies they can't beat when there are other really obvious routes just beside those enemies?

In my case I assumed it was that I was not playing well, which was technically true.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That happens on every console, you need to quit to the main menu first. It saves when you do so, you'll never lose any progress

It should just drop you to offline mode. Then again the net code/online component of Souls series has always been unnecessarily fucky so it’s to be expected. That’s another reason I was surprised about the D3 Switch port. I was expecting a similar treatment with season characters but the game just keeps the game alive and just connects back to their service in the background without having to reload the game or characters. It makes it perfect for a pick up, do a rift, and put back to sleep.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Your Computer posted:

:arghfist: :negative:

this is literally my exact reason for hating that whole "dark souls hardest game evar!!!!!!!" shtick. I wonder how many people quit the game there and never went back, robbing themselves of a fantastic experience because they thought the game was just supposed to be that hard due to the game's dumb internet reputation.

I know I did. Fuckin skeletons man. Maybe I'll try it again on the switch once I run out of amazing new games to play

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
In my defense, I'd enjoyed zero percent of the game up to that point, so I was already in the mood to say gently caress it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'd play Dark Souls if it looked more like the Link's Awakening remake

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Nep-Nep posted:

In my case I assumed it was that I was not playing well, which was technically true.

The game is also known for “being hard”, so when you encounter difficulty you just don’t know if it’s the game being unfair and hard or if you’re going the wrong way :derp:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Macaluso posted:

I'd play Dark Souls if it looked more like the Link's Awakening remake

:hellyeah: me too

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay, well now you're talking about Hollow Knight again

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Dark Souls is good.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

my :goonsay: theory is that people just aren't used to exploring in video games and assume that everything is linear in a "if you can go there, you're on the right path" kind of way.

see also: people that enter a new zone and walk in a straight line in Hollow Knight until they reach a dead end, then complain that they never found the map

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Dark Souls is good.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You can technically kill any boss but being so owned by a mid boss you quit entirely is insanely funny

People have different levels of tolerance for frustration and when it comes to frustration in something you're supposed to be enjoying, well, it's completely reasonable just to give up. Because at the end of the day, if you're not enjoying yourself then why keep going?

That said, those people probably shouldn't have bought Dark Souls in the first place.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

totalnewbie posted:

People have different levels of tolerance for frustration and when it comes to frustration in something you're supposed to be enjoying, well, it's completely reasonable just to give up. Because at the end of the day, if you're not enjoying battling Isabelle and Diddy Kong on a bi-plane why keep going?

That said, those people probably shouldn't have bought Smash in the first place.

It's me.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Achmed Jones posted:

This is mostly true except: don’t accidentally fall into deepnest from fungal wastes when you lack a light source, many upgrades, etc. it was not a fun journey back

This happened to me... except I never made it out. Then I went exploring elsewhere hoping to save up enough money for the lantern so I could go back and get my revenge. Died several more times, losing all my money. Again. What finally broke me was... I forget his name. The big huge guy who stomps through the floor. I got to his second phase multiple times, only to die. Then finally got killed by one of the warlock scrubs on the way back to him to collect my corpse... and that was when I gave up. :smith:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is there some meta-strat in Tetris99 to pick someone manually and fight them until someone dies? All day today I've had single people target me and not leave me alone all game until one of us dies and it just has me thinking that there has to be a more efficient way to make use of your junk

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

BattleMaster posted:

Is there some meta-strat in Tetris99 to pick someone manually and fight them until someone dies? All day today I've had single people target me and not leave me alone all game until one of us dies and it just has me thinking that there has to be a more efficient way to make use of your junk
90% of the people who play probably never move the control stick and might not even understand you can pick who to target.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

American McGay posted:

90% of the people who play probably never move the control stick and might not even understand you can pick who to target.

It's probably just confirmation bias but I never felt like I had people try to duel me until today, even day 1 when no one knew how to target things.

edit: Actually I think I've figured it out, it's probably more efficient if you're going to be doing combos to target one person if you want to KO them, while if you select "KOs" it spreads it around.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 18, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

American McGay posted:

Tbqh I've been playing with the NES controller because if the dpad

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Current rumor I'm seeing on Twitter about the "dead and buried" game that Nintendo is resurrecting is Scalebound.

I'm not seeing any of the big names when it comes to leaks or insider stuff I'm usually seeing though so take that with a huge grain of salt. The place reporting it is Nintendo Insider who idk about

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
The Platinum game that was supposed to be an Xbox exclusive? That would be an interesting pick. Switch is looking to be a very, very good for character action games

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t think Scalebound looked very good but it looked like a ton of work was done on it so might as well get it out one way or another.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Waltzing Along posted:

Skyward Sword, for instance, is an absolute slog. It is constantly unfun from beginning to end. From controls that aren't fun to use to repetitive levels to constant reminders of how much a rupee is worth or whatever Fi is blathering about now. There is a lot of time spent in a 40 hour game that is pointless. I'd guess five hours or more and that's being kind.

Man I hate that game.

Why does TP's 3 hour tutorial and endless talking get a pass?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I recently got a switch.

I have beat Mario Odyssy and then BotW.

What game should I get next? The mega mans?

Share with me your gamer wisdom my friends.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

What genres do you like?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Reminder that the same people saying that Scalebound is coming are the same people who claimed that a Metroid Prime Trilogy port is coming at least 4 separate times and that Animal Crossing is getting released on a Tuesday in April.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Your Computer posted:

my :goonsay: theory is that people just aren't used to exploring in video games and assume that everything is linear in a "if you can go there, you're on the right path" kind of way.

see also: people that enter a new zone and walk in a straight line in Hollow Knight until they reach a dead end, then complain that they never found the map

Firelink shrine absolutely funnels people to the graveyard and I haven't really forgiven the game for that. The map design and obtuse for the time controls are 100% what gave the game a reputation as difficult

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I recently got a switch.

I have beat Mario Odyssy and then BotW.

Share with me your gamer wisdom my friends.

Well what are you into? There's a pretty bangin library now

American McGay posted:

Reminder that the same people saying that Scalebound is coming are the same people who claimed that a Metroid Prime Trilogy port is coming at least 4 separate times and that Animal Crossing is getting released on a Tuesday in April.

Oh I'm not taking it seriously. I just love Platinum action games and wouldn't mind another one on top of Astral Chain and Bayonetta 3

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 18, 2019

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Andrast posted:

Devil's advocate, those side paths have locked doors, unreachable ledges, empty sockets in walls that could just perfectly fit some object...if you don't know where else to go, nothing says that near-impossible enemy doesn't drop what you need.

In the context of Dark Souls I want to avoid saying the path forward is always clear because I have hundreds of hours in the game and of course it's clear. I also had the unfair advantage of approaching DS1 after Demon's Souls. Most people probably did not, and for them a lot of stuff probably isn't obvious.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
There's no way Animal Crossing isn't getting released on 4/20, I don't care if it's a loving Saturday.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Devil's advocate, those side paths have locked doors, unreachable ledges, empty sockets in walls that could just perfectly fit some object...if you don't know where else to go, nothing says that near-impossible enemy doesn't drop what you need.

In the context of Dark Souls I want to avoid saying the path forward is always clear because I have hundreds of hours in the game and of course it's clear. I also had the unfair advantage of approaching DS1 after Demon's Souls. Most people probably did not, and for them a lot of stuff probably isn't obvious.

This was about firelink shrine and the tower where Havel is in though. The other paths could not be clearer.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Firelink shrine absolutely funnels people to the graveyard and I haven't really forgiven the game for that. The map design and obtuse for the time controls are 100% what gave the game a reputation as difficult

:chloe:

The path up is literally the closest one to Firelink. You have to go through a building to get to the graveyard.

The controls are good even to this day.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Look Sir Droids posted:

:chloe:

The path up is literally the closest one to Firelink. You have to go through a building to get to the graveyard.

The controls are good even to this day.

I mean walking up the stairs and into a building feels like a "correct" path rather than the little ledge path.

The controls have always been fine though idk what thats about

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Macaluso posted:

Current rumor I'm seeing on Twitter about the "dead and buried" game that Nintendo is resurrecting is Scalebound.

I'm not seeing any of the big names when it comes to leaks or insider stuff I'm usually seeing though so take that with a huge grain of salt. The place reporting it is Nintendo Insider who idk about

It's actually Earthbound 64. My uncle told me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

MMF Freeway posted:

I mean walking up the stairs and into a building feels like a "correct" path rather than the little ledge path.

The controls have always been fine though idk what thats about

Having R1 and R2 for attacking felt weird to me at first, but it's really the only sensible way to set it up for playing with a controller. The game just needs a whole lotta buttons