Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

TLDR: If the courts and cops don't care then I don't. Everyone gets totally equal treatment under the law despite mountain ranges of evidence to the contrary. Including the CPD who in this case threatened to arrest the girl Hunt assaulted and didn't investigate at all.

I knew Hunt was going to get another chance because he's too good not to, but man Cleveland seems like the worst place for him to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Grittybeard posted:

https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/1097530815100190721

#2 is not who I'd expect since this is like a 'deep pass' stat and Hill takes his share of screens.

Interesting that Gronk probably doesn't really do any of that? I don't watch the Pats enough to say that for sure, but that seems like the only way he'd be up there.

e: Ugh I just realized I'm trusting some local sports talk guy to be right on stats now that I look at that tweet. He very well might not be.

Gronk's bread and butter has always been that 20-30 yard seam pass once they get across the 50. You saw it in the Super Bowl.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grittybeard posted:

https://twitter.com/BKSportsTalk/status/1097530815100190721

#2 is not who I'd expect since this is like a 'deep pass' stat and Hill takes his share of screens.

Interesting that Gronk probably doesn't really do any of that? I don't watch the Pats enough to say that for sure, but that seems like the only way he'd be up there.

e: Ugh I just realized I'm trusting some local sports talk guy to be right on stats now that I look at that tweet. He very well might not be.

Patrick Crayton is a product of Tony Romo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Grittybeard posted:

I knew Hunt was going to get another chance because he's too good not to, but man Cleveland seems like the worst place for him to be.

I mean that depends on if you think karma is a thing.

Nov 6, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean that depends on if you think karma is a thing.

Heh, you're in for it now. Did you know the Browns almost won the Super Bowl last season?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

indigi posted:

define “recently” because it’s been the case for at least the past hundred years

Are you seriously trying to argue that members of the entertainment industry have been expected to be moral paragons for the last 100 years?

In football, at least, it's been since the Ray Rice video went public. Prior to that no one gave two shits. If they did, then Suggs and Fitzgerald would be long gone. Hell, Ray Lewis was national news and that didn't matter. You could argue that this has something to do with ubiquitous cameras and video footage of these crimes, but no one gave a drat about Lawrence Taylor, Mike Tyson, or a hundred other scumbag celebrities and entertainers for the past 100 years.

If you want to talk about other entertainment media, look at any documentary on rock bands since the 60s. They're filled with morally reprehensible poo poo.

Hollywood is finally coming to terms with some of the crap people have gotten away with for the last century.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
if we imagine the Browns started the season with Gregg Williams it’s practically a guarantee that they secure the first seed by week 15 and waltz into the super bowl to destroy the Redskins (Alex Smith doesn’t get hurt in this universe)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chichevache posted:

Are you seriously trying to argue that members of the entertainment industry have been expected to be moral paragons for the last 100 years?

no dumbass I’m saying that public opinion has influenced who is allowed in the entertainment industry pretty much since the latter became a thing. morality has nothing to do with it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

TLDR: If the courts and cops don't care then I don't. Everyone gets totally equal treatment under the law despite mountain ranges of evidence to the contrary. Including the CPD who in this case threatened to arrest the girl Hunt assaulted and didn't investigate at all.

I still think you're putting words in his mouth. He's not saying the justice is perfect. What I'm seeing, is that he's saying the justice system is the arbiter of these things and he doesn't give a drat either way. He watches football to be entertained, not to confront difficult moral and ethical issues.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is it ethical to allow Nathan Peterman to think he's a NFL quarterback?

Nov 6, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Is it ethical to allow Nathan Peterman to think he's a NFL quarterback?

Yes. It's like dressing up a dog so he thinks he's people.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

indigi posted:

no dumbass I’m saying that public opinion has influenced who is allowed in the entertainment industry pretty much since the latter became a thing. morality has nothing to do with it

Then why not just say that, dumbass?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Chichevache posted:

I still think you're putting words in his mouth. He's not saying the justice is perfect. What I'm seeing, is that he's saying the justice system is the arbiter of these things and he doesn't give a drat either way. He watches football to be entertained, not to confront difficult moral and ethical issues.

He’s mad that other people care about things that he doesn’t care about and it’s affecting his entertainment in an incredibly minor way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Chichevache posted:

Mike Tyson, or a hundred other scumbag celebrities and entertainers for the past 100 years.

I think Tyson is a bad fit for the argument you're making, or rather the NFL seems to view itself as more wholesome than boxing--which might be the only sport they have an argument against. He actually saw jail time and once he got out he was sold as a dangerous crazy guy (and played into the role a little too much) until he got his rear end handed to him by Lewis.

Boxing doesn't mind those type of guys since people buy fights hoping to watch them lose. While, say, maybe some people hate Adrian Peterson and he might take physical punishment it's not like anyone's actually tuning into games to see him get hit.

e: I suppose my main argument is boxing is not a good guide for any of this, or for anything, and should probably just be outlawed.

I also love boxing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s mad that other people care about things that he doesn’t care about and it’s affecting his entertainment in an incredibly minor way.

Yeah, I agree.

Grittybeard posted:

I think Tyson is a bad fit for the argument you're making, or rather the NFL seems to view itself as more wholesome than boxing--which might be the only sport they have an argument against. He actually saw jail time and once he got out he was sold as a dangerous crazy guy (and played into the role a little too much) until he got his rear end handed to him by Lewis.

Boxing doesn't mind those type of guys since people buy fights hoping to watch them lose. While, say, maybe some people hate Adrian Peterson and he might take physical punishment it's not like anyone's actually tuning into games to see him get hit.

e: I suppose my main argument is boxing is not a good guide for any of this, or for anything, and should probably just be outlawed.

I also love boxing.

Fair enough. My point was merely that the entertainment industry is absolutely littered with scumbags who didn't lose their entire career for extremely reprehensible poo poo. Hunt's scuffle in the hallway barely registers compared to the rapes, domestic violence, and child abuse that have been open secrets for these industries for 100 years.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Moral codes, unspoken or otherwise, have been a part of commercial entertainment for a long rear end time. The main difference between now and, say, the 50s, is that views on acceptable behavior have changed and it’s much harder to hide your terrible behavior thanks to technology making sure most of our words and actions are recorded.

Like, in the past entertainers had to hide that they were gay or communists because those were the worst things imaginable, now they just have to not beat up women on camera because we decided, as a society, that beating up women is bad and being gay isn’t.

Nov 6, 2002

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, I agree.

Fair enough. My point was merely that the entertainment industry is absolutely littered with scumbags who didn't lose their entire career for extremely reprehensible poo poo. Hunt's scuffle in the hallway barely registers compared to the rapes, domestic violence, and child abuse that have been open secrets for these industries for 100 years.

So... is your point that because that's how it's been that's how it should remain?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Moral codes, unspoken or otherwise, have been a part of commercial entertainment for a long rear end time. The main difference between now and, say, the 50s, is that views on acceptable behavior have changed and it’s much harder to hide your terrible behavior thanks to technology making sure most of our words and actions are recorded.

Like, in the past entertainers had to hide that they were gay or communists because those were the worst things imaginable, now they just have to not beat up women on camera because we decided, as a society, that beating up women is bad and being gay isn’t.

exactly. this is all a pretty clear example of something that’s been happening for decades, and acting like it’s new or particularly harmful in this case is utterly loving stupid

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Moral codes are apart of everything, nothing is done robotically and I don’t think it would be good if it did.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Larch posted:

There are women in the world that do some dumb poo poo. Sometimes they get hosed up. Let the courts sort it out .

If he's cleared legally. Legal. As in system. As in we already have a means to deal with crime.

Chichevache posted:

He's counting on it to make moral judgement and nobody should care if that system doesn't act. That system is deeply flawed and abdicating moral judgement to that deeply flawed system is dumb.

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1097560046593064960?s=21

Try again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
ALL THE WAY WITH OBJ

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

indigi posted:

I’m at a birthday party watching my nephew and his friends run around with wild abandon and jump on moon bounces with a complete lack of coordination and got to wondering, do toddlers ever tear their ACLs via non-contact injury like NFL players or is that only something that can happen once it develops more

Generally a child's body isn't going to have the weight or musculature to really put a ton of pressure on their ligaments. They are also going to have more flexible ligaments; think of the way a rubber band is super flexible at first (children) but becomes brittle as it ages (our elderly asses). Also, more fragile bones lead to breaks instead of ligament tears.

That being said, I'm sure it's possible for children to tear their ACLs under the right conditions. Falling from a tree, doing gymnastics, extreme sports, that kind of thing. But a bouncy house with only the weight of their own body to deal with wouldn't have the kind of force.

A couple of my friends have done it by just stumbling awkwardly, one while drunk and one in the dark. But those were grown people with full-weight bodies.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I swear to god this exact same story came out a year ago.

It literally did, it was Kaep's lawyer and he said exactly the same thing, name-dropping Kraft as an owner interested in Kaep. It's just the kind of completely baseless but spicy take that will get picked up no-questions-asked by the media.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He's counting on it to make moral judgement and nobody should care if that system doesn't act. That system is deeply flawed and abdicating moral judgement to that deeply flawed system is dumb.

It's a very boomer way of looking at things. Abdicating moral responsibility on a personal level is kind of their jam

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
When I pay $159 to watch one guy try to kill another guy with his fists I know I feel better when neither of those men are convicted felons.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Elephanthead posted:

When I pay $159 to watch one guy try to kill another guy with his fists I know I feel better when neither of those men are convicted felons.

You ordering black market snuff films on the dark web or what?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

I wish I could get tickets to my home town team for $159

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

So... is your point that because that's how it's been that's how it should remain?

Not at all. Personally, I think that Hunt's fight barely registers as a big deal and isn't worth black listing him over. His hotel fight is typical of trashy drunk people all over the nation. Maybe I'm jaded because I'm exposed to it so often, but literally millions of Americans have done the same moron thing Hunt did. I'm not outraged that the Browns hired him.

I do think it was a dumb thing to do when you have Chubb as your established back already.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Black listing might be too much, but there needs to be consequences when you act like that. Just like there would be for any of us who started smacking a random drunk woman around.

Looking at the contract Hunt was forced to sign (and considering that the NFL hasn't even handed down the sentence yet), to me it actually seems like the system is working as intended. Most likely he's already lost millions in this whole deal, and suddenly his playing future is in doubt. That's an effective punishment, given the severity of the crime and the fact that no one involved was seriously injured.

If he learns from this and never has another incident again, fair play. If he doesn't, then he shouldn't get another chance. This is his chance to get his poo poo together for good, and it's one more chance than many people get. If the NFL did nothing and we all waited for the justice system to do something about this we'd be waiting the rest of our lives. To me this is one of the rare situations of poor behavior in the NFL in which the outcome is more or less fine. Banishment for life is too harsh but business as usual is completely unacceptable, so this middle ground works for me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

The argument that a lot of people have done it so it’s whatever is weird.

A lot of people have done most things.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The shove might be construed as being in the heat of the moment but then walking over and kicking her while she’s on the ground was baaaad.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The shove might be construed as being in the heat of the moment but then walking over and kicking her while she’s on the ground was baaaad.

Dude was angry, and should probably get counseling for that (and supposedly is). He should also probably avoid his old stomping grounds where stuff like that might be more a little more likely to happen, hence why Cleveland is the worst team he could possibly sign with.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Yeah the CPD's track record isn't great when football players are involved. Between Kareem and Gareon Conely who was also cleared despite changing his story a good half dozen times during that rape investigation farce they're pretty poo poo.

That's ignoring the Tamir Rice murder.

Kareem can pay his dues counseling, charity work and a suspension for a 2nd chance sure. He wasn't full on Ray Rice, AP or Josh Brown. We should't just look the other way when the law decides not to give a poo poo is the point of all this.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I think it's valid to be so judgmental over pro sporters and being gross humans considering they should be painfully aware of the microscope on them. Knowing this and still loving up is pretty egregious.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CharlestheHammer posted:

The argument that a lot of people have done it so it’s whatever is weird.

A lot of people have done most things.

I don't see how it is that weird. I'm arguing that the behavior is relatively normal- which is not the same as good or appropriate- and isn't worth freaking out about. A significant amount of the people who cook your food or do construction on your house have done the same or similar*. It leads to the point that I want it make which is that if you blacklist or ban every person who has an incident like Hunt's then you're ruling out a very sizable portion of America. I feel this needs to be pointed out because of how shocked most of this forum seems to be by his behavior, which to a lot of people is "closing time on the main club street downtown".

*side note: almost every gangster or dealer in California lists their profession as construction or line cook

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Chichevache posted:

I don't see how it is that weird. I'm arguing that the behavior is relatively normal- which is not the same as good or appropriate- and isn't worth freaking out about. A significant amount of the people who cook your food or do construction on your house have done the same or similar*. It leads to the point that I want it make which is that if you blacklist or ban every person who has an incident like Hunt's then you're ruling out a very sizable portion of America. I feel this needs to be pointed out because of how shocked most of this forum seems to be by his behavior, which to a lot of people is "closing time on the main club street downtown".

*side note: almost every gangster or dealer in California lists their profession as construction or line cook

Honestly I think a lot of fans (myself included to an extent) are over correcting after years of players bullshit getting swept under the rug. It wasn't that long ago that a sheriff announced that the NFL attempted to get him to cover up Josh Brown chasing his wife around the pro bowl and beating her when he caught up literally in front of league personnel. Nevermind the shams around Gareon Conley, Jameis, Ben et.al.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That just seems like a rather half assed rationalization really.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Honestly I think a lot of fans (myself included to an extent) are over correcting after years of players bullshit getting swept under the rug. It wasn't that long ago that a sheriff announced that the NFL attempted to get him to cover up Josh Brown chasing his wife around the pro bowl and beating her when he caught up literally in front of league personnel. Nevermind the shams around Gareon Conley, Jameis, Ben et.al.

You're right, I'd agree with that. If I recall correctly, I was the same way when the Ray Rice incident came to light.

Now, I want to correct that and move towards a more balanced approach. Obviously being outraged by terrible incidents like Sandusky, Winston's rapes, and Jovan Belcher is a completely appropriate feeling. We should be outraged by that. But when a dumb kid (I don't actually know Hunt's personal history, so I admit to projecting in this case) gets in over his head after becoming a millionaire celebrity, I'm ok with keeping a level-head and taking a chance on him growing and developing as a person.

I think a lot of discussion on this forum turned towards banning people who misbehave from the league in recent years. I think that is an overreaction. Give Hunt a chance to make amends. Prove that punishing people for life isn't the only path to justice in this country by giving them a chance to redeem themselves.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why not make a real attempt at addressing the point you're trying to make instead of drive-by thread making GBS threads?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Asproigerosis posted:

I think it's valid to be so judgmental over pro sporters and being gross humans considering they should be painfully aware of the microscope on them. Knowing this and still loving up is pretty egregious.

Fun game, let's pretend this isn't a football forum and guess what's under the spoiler text!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cool so what do we do with ex-cons then? If someones released yeah they should get a 2nd chance. I'm just applying that logic.

Yeah he did something lovely and it looks like the NFL will be the only ones to punish him. Hopefully he sucks it up and makes attempts to make amends.