Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

AndyElusive posted:

The story of the Sons of Magnus is such a profoundly hosed up tale and legit tragic arcs within the Horus Heresy itself. I found myself siding with all the Thousand Sons. It was just a lovely deal from the very start for them and they made the best of it they could. Magnus did what he figured was the best way to help them and all it did was make things worse. There was really nothing else the entire legion could do. They were destined to end up under the banner of Tzeentch.

I was genuinely heartbroken when Magnus realised his fuckup after going for his space chat with the Emperor. He sacrificed everything for his children and father and failed them both. He was just a good kid who tried to do right by people. I've never been engaged with the 40k universe like I have through the 1000 sons and whether it was just McNeill's writing, or the Greek tragedy of their story, I want to watch the Imperium burn under their banner. I'm so delighted they're my kill team of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While I like the tragedy of Magnus's fall, I enjoy his turn as a self-righteous neckbeard who undermines his own goals by being a petulant jerk from the Text-To-Speech series more.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

There are some parts of Text-To-Speech that are done just so right.

I <3 Rogal Dorn's 'Noooo'

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I just finished Anarch, and oh man what a ride.

I hope Brostin lived, but I don't dare to believe it.

God drat, AdMech dudes, learn how to use a firewall.

Farewell Golea, you loveable fuckup.
drat, the scene at the end with Criid in the undercroft is genuinely heartbreaking.
And then right after Rawne coxed a laugh out of me by saying it was a mistake to wake up, it didn't hurt before he did.

Rest in piss Meryn.

So glad both Merity and Luna survived. I was completely certain that Meryn would get one of them, probably Luna.

The mabbon twist was great.
Gaunt thinking that the Boy is never coming back right as Mkoll brought him to the billet is darkly ironic.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Azubah posted:

It's pretty funny some people thing any of the Tanith will make it to the end. It's going to just be Gaunt thinking back of all the people he wasn't able to bring to victory on his reward world.

lol if you dont think gaunt will die

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Groetgaffel posted:

God drat, AdMech dudes, learn how to use a firewall.

They just say a prayer!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

AndyElusive posted:

HHEELOOOOOOH HEEROH!

I would buy a book just about Andre.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

SnakesRevenge posted:

They just say a prayer!

They read the ancient text of the "Haus of Tech Support" stating that firewalls were heretical.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Plavski posted:

Just finished A Thousand Sons by Graham McNeill. What a goddamn stonker of a book. The Crimson King is on its way, then it's onto the Ahriman Omnibus.

I was glad to have read the Heresy books before tackling the Ahriman books. You really get a feel for how much more powerful the 30k guys were and just how far they've fallen. When you see some 40k upstart interacting with them you get a real feel of "motherfucker, you have NO idea who you're talking to, do you?".

Same with the Night Lords trilogy. My first exposure to them (outside of gaming fluff) was Heresy era stories, so that trilogy worked even better for me as I felt like I had the same indider knowledge and perspective that these ancient dudes have. Black Legion books, too.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Groetgaffel posted:

I just finished Anarch, and oh man what a ride.

Gaunt thinking that the Boy is never coming back right as Mkoll brought him to the billet is darkly ironic.

I loved the book, the horror elements were hella rad, but that was easily the worst part of the book. gently caress you Abnett I want the Gaunt/Milo reunion! Especially after Gaunt was like "...yesterday? All these years and he died yesterday??? :( "

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Audible's 2 for 1 sale has Realmslayer and a bunch of Horus Heresy books.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I saw that, but since the front page for the sale only had popular books, I figured there wouldn't be any BL stuff in there.

I also decided to power through gaunts ghosts to get to Anarch, and I figured I had two or so books left before warmaster. Turns out I already read Blood Pact and salvations reach and just didn't remember them by their titles.

And since I'm driving up to the Netherlands next weekend for a 15 hour round trip, I think I may as well pick up the audiobook of it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I'm having a hard as gently caress time slogging through Dark Imperium. The relentless descriptions of the minutiae of everything is just baffling to me. I'm halfway through and hardly anything has happened, but I sure know what colour the papers on the desk in Rowboat's office are. I'm coming off the back of such an elegant story like A Thousand Sons and I'm just left wondering what the hell happened. Guy Haley can't be that bad right? I've read some of his other stuff and liked it. Was he just under stupid pressure and had to waffle and pack in all of the new miniatures?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
See also: ADB getting told at the last minute to cram all of the new Grey Knights releases into The Emperor's Gift.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

Plavski posted:

I'm having a hard as gently caress time slogging through Dark Imperium. The relentless descriptions of the minutiae of everything is just baffling to me. I'm halfway through and hardly anything has happened, but I sure know what colour the papers on the desk in Rowboat's office are. I'm coming off the back of such an elegant story like A Thousand Sons and I'm just left wondering what the hell happened. Guy Haley can't be that bad right? I've read some of his other stuff and liked it. Was he just under stupid pressure and had to waffle and pack in all of the new miniatures?

Guy Haley pumps out 5-6 books a year and they are all pretty alright to good. This makes him BL's goto for tie in novels. However there is a price to this speed as he never seems to hit it out of the park but rather has the odd flash of brilliance. The bits with Guilliman and the imperial cult in Dark Imperium are perfect examples of this.

I really wish he would slow down and spend 6 - 12 months on a book like ADB/French/Wright. I really think he could deliver something spectacular if he did that.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Biplane posted:

I loved the book, the horror elements were hella rad, but that was easily the worst part of the book. gently caress you Abnett I want the Gaunt/Milo reunion! Especially after Gaunt was like "...yesterday? All these years and he died yesterday??? :( "

That was how I knew he was still alive, there was no way Ab would be cold enough to murk him that way.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chiwie posted:

This makes him BL's goto for tie in novels.

I initially read “goto” in the context of C. S. Goto and was real confused.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

^burtle posted:

That was how I knew he was still alive, there was no way Ab would be cold enough to murk him that way.

that's true. also, I'm gonna be hella pissed if Mkoll, Milo, Holofurnace and Mazho don't get a medal or something in the next one

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Plavski posted:

Just finished A Thousand Sons by Graham McNeill. What a goddamn stonker of a book.

I hope you're reading Prospero Burns at some point.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Cessna posted:

I hope you're reading Prospero Burns at some point.

I considered it, but then I read a review that says it barely crosses over and spends most of the time with the Space Wolves on Fenris, and gently caress that sounds boring as hell. I might cycle back to it at some point, but my interest in that army is minimal at best.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

are the Ahriman books any good? Goon consensus?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Biplane posted:

that's true. also, I'm gonna be hella pissed if Mkoll, Milo, Holofurnace and Mazho don't get a medal or something in the next one

Please, nobody will know they were responsible. Macaroth ordered an orbital bombardment on the entire area. Milo and Mkoll got away but all the other evidence will suggest the victory was Macaroth's doing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Please, nobody will know they were responsible. Macaroth ordered an orbital bombardment on the entire area. Milo and Mkoll got away but all the other evidence will suggest the victory was Macaroth's doing.

it's specifically said that the kill was accomplished by astra militarum personnel on the ground though. please, let me live in hope

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Biplane posted:

it's specifically said that the kill was accomplished by astra militarum personnel on the ground though. please, let me live in hope

Who would win in a fight between Mkoll and Marbo?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

Who would win in a fight between Mkoll and Marbo?

have them team up instead and the imperium would win every war

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Audible weaponized screaming.

Also I love the term Mkoll Gear Solid.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 18, 2019

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Biplane posted:

They aren't bad, but nothing special. I enjoyed them, but like the Fabius Bile books better if you are looking for a series following a single and influential chaos marine who has split from his legion.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The bombardment was targeted at the dormant volcano the cruiser was moored in. Sek teleported to completely different island only for Mkoll and Milo to be dragged along by the backwash and finally giving Sek an explosive lunch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Groetgaffel posted:

The bombardment was targeted at the dormant volcano the cruiser was moored in. Sek teleported to completely different island only for Mkoll and Milo to be dragged along by the backwash and finally giving Sek an explosive lunch.

I still think imperial command would cover it up, even if Gaunt is the Lord executor. they're jerks like that.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I quite enjoyed the Ahriman series to my surprise. Dont expect ABD but it's a fun read and a cool look at a powerful figure

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Biplane posted:

They're not bad. I don't regret buying and reading the omnibus, but status quo is god, so don't expect any major shakeups to Arhiman's story. I think it mostly just fills in the blanks on what he was doing since his exile.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still think imperial command would cover it up, even if Gaunt is the Lord executor. they're jerks like that.

Mkoll isn't exactly known for trumpeting his achievements to gain glory. Didn't he kill a Killa Kan or something in the first book?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A chaos dreadnought. Technically he only cracked the sarcophagus and then the toxic plant spines killed it.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Nuclear War posted:

Mkoll isn't exactly known for trumpeting his achievements to gain glory. Didn't he kill a Killa Kan or something in the first book?

it wouldn't be for Mkolls benefit, but for everyone else's (mine)

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
In terms of results, Mkoll should be their go to for propaganda and recruitment (helping ease the transition into conscription!) as well as the basis of all light-infantry training.

Hell, he probably rivals some assassins at this point in terms of high-value targets killed.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Plavski posted:

I considered it, but then I read a review that says it barely crosses over and spends most of the time with the Space Wolves on Fenris, and gently caress that sounds boring as hell. I might cycle back to it at some point, but my interest in that army is minimal at best.

I never liked Space Wolves. I thought they were goofy as hell, a poor cliche.

Then I read that book, and they became my favorite chapter. The book is well written* and gives them a real depth and pathos.

*Except for the "wet leopard growl" thing, that was really overdone.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 19, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
So I’ve obtained the Necromunda Omnibuses 1 and 2 and am considering reading them. What am I getting myself into?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

What am I getting myself into?

The Underhive.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Fromundahive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Metalshark posted:

In terms of results, Mkoll should be their go to for propaganda and recruitment (helping ease the transition into conscription!) as well as the basis of all light-infantry training.

Hell, he probably rivals some assassins at this point in terms of high-value targets killed.

Dude has the highest value of any Ghost I believe.