Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mulva posted:

They don't? So the difference is there isn't some switch in his head that is set to DO ALL THE CRIMES like real criminals, and that's what makes him special?

Conversely I don't know that all criminals abuse children for a buck, so I'd say they have one up on him there.

The distinction here is that with your usual complementary therapist etc you are paying for them to throw the salt or whatever. Whether that works? Well that's your problem. Reigen doesn't accept money unless he's satisfied he's genuinely helped you.

If you hire an exorcist to exorcise a not-haunted building their job is to take the money and say some words. Maybe that'll satisfy you, maybe it'll 'not take' and you'll have to hire some other guy. Reigen would see the job as convincing you the building isn't haunted any more. This is might involve saying some convincing words or it might involve installing draft insulation.

A con artist is in it for personal profit. Reigen is closer to a stage magician, he uses tricks and lies, but he's ultimately trying to give you a positive customer experience.

EDIT: Legally speaking, for this reason Reigen's actions are actually not crimes because there are no damages. 'Fraud' is not merely 'lying', it's the intent to secure unfair or unlawful personal gain at the expense of the victim.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Fangz posted:

EDIT: Legally speaking, for this reason Reigen's actions are actually not crimes because there are no damages.

I don't know about Japan, but pretending to be someone's dead loved one for the purposes of getting money out of them is pretty illegal in a lot of places. Just period, the end. Doesn't matter if you take a buck in the end. And he's absolutely done that. Just like saying "well he didn't take millions of yen from that guy so he's a good dude", well depending on location that'd be one of the few things that would actually jump to full on fraud. Saying "You will be lucky in your endeavors this week" not so likely to get you charged. Taking a fortune from someone *is* grand theft or larceny or whatever your government calls it. "De-cursing" someone can also cross a line. "Yes, there is something wrong with you. And only I can fix it, for your generous contribution.". That's extortion. Doesn't matter if they feel better in the end, you are taking advantage of them. It's only a question of getting someone to call you on it or not.

Which brings us back to the con in con man. It's not about the lie, it's about making someone believe in you. Then they either keep believing in you no matter what, or are generally too ashamed to call you on what you did. It doesn't change what you did either way, it just changes your chances of being called to task for it. You like Reigen, so it's ok when he does bad things. Ok, fine. It doesn't magically change his actions and what they mean, as you'll find out next week when we answer the most magical question of all, what's it matter if it's a lie if it makes people feel better?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

I don't know about Japan, but pretending to be someone's dead loved one for the purposes of getting money out of them is pretty illegal in a lot of places.

You're phrasing this to make doing a seance and doing a fraud sound like the same thing but they are legally absolutely distinct. The police do not bust people doing stage magic and cold reading and fortune telling and selling ouija boards. If I tell you a spooky ghost story on the internet and act like it happened and you pay me, I have not broken the law. The law does not rest on whether I genuinely believed in it. The law actually rests on whether I did you substantial and intentional harm.

quote:

And only I can fix it,

Reigen has never claimed this.

EDIT: The point about 'he didn't take millions from that guy so he's a good dude' is that the Spirits and Such agency actually did supernaturally help that guy, saving both his life and that of his daughter, but that still wasn't up to his personal standards in terms of the results he wanted to achieve so he didn't accept the money. However you try to bend what is going on, you can't demonstrate malice.

I mean there's a pretty big difference between putting on a Santa costume in a mall for a salary over Christmas, and the guy who as that mall Santa asks the kids for their parents' credit card numbers, even if both of them are 'lying to make money'. Regardless of what Miracle on 34th Street taught you, the difference does not rest on whether the guy truly believes he's Santa Claus.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 13, 2019

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
This thread really got dark about Reigen I just hope next week he somehow wins against himself and comes out better on the other side of this ordeal

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kashuno posted:

This thread really got dark about Reigen I just hope next week he somehow wins against himself and comes out better on the other side of this ordeal

I dunno. Reigen's a pretty tough opponent. I'm not sure anyone could take him on.

Then again, if anyone could, it's Reigen.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Personally, I'll bet on Reigen.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Talking about Reigen,
https://twitter.com/ditieru/status/1095314533579550721

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That is slander, Reigen would walk me to the bathroom so we could run out on the bill together.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I really appreciate Fangz's avatar in this heated anime discussion about consequentialist ethics as they apply to fake psychics

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Internet Sex Symbol Reigen Arataka

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Reigen seems like the kind of dude who would finish the meal, then look at you and say, "okay, we run for the door on my signal."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Reigen:

1.) Profits off of child labor.
2.) Traffics with unclean spirits.
3.) Single-handedly kicked the asses of Claw's top mofos.

Now, I ain't saying he's a bad person, and I ain't saying he's a good person.

I'm just saying he's bad news.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Schwarzwald posted:

3.) Single-handedly kicked the asses of Claw's top mofos.

I say this as Big Time Reigen Admirer

Are we sure that counts as "single-handed?"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Spiritus Nox posted:

Well, I don't mean that literally. It's not like he held one of his arms behind his back

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Schwarzwald posted:

Well, I don't mean that literally. It's not like he held one of his arms behind his back

It was in his pocket...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Man that was an incredibly wholesome episode. I love that the reason Mob breaks off from Reigen isn't because of the abusive words, but because of his simple advice to grow up and become more independent.

As far as Reigen being an abusive dick, he's always been at least manipulative. We've seen this since season 1 and it hasn't really changed much. Reigen has certainly shown himself to be a pretty good guy in some aspects, but he also abuses Mob's fragile state of mind to use Mob's power for his own gain. The chickens finally came home to roost.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Fangz posted:

The difference is that real life con artists don't refuse millions and millions from a rich billionaire because they feel like they didn't earn it.

i tend to believe Dimple that he refused the money so he wouldn't be seem responsible for everything that happened.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

mabels big day posted:

i tend to believe Dimple that he refused the money so he wouldn't be seem responsible for everything that happened.

That seems like a dubious argument given they are at most as responsible as anyone else there, and rather less responsible than the people taken in by Mogami, or those with a personal connection to him.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
reigen might get embarrassed on national television cause he kicked a guy to save him so it doesnt matter if the argument is Dubious, he has a point of trying to avoid all responsibility

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The point I was making is that broadly Reigen isn't motivated by profit but trying to achieve good customer service, which is different from regular con artists who are trying to achieve a quick buck as quickly as possible and see the scam purely as a means to that end.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
can we all agree that nobody knows how to leverage their soft skills as well as reigen

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I bet Reigen can write a killer cv.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I bet Reigen can write a killer cv.

ya but half of it will be made up

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Kild posted:

That would still be more accurate than half of the ones I came across.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I agree that Reign should be apprehended and summarily executed.

That awful blond man.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kild posted:

In previous jobs where I had to interview peeps for a position, you can take one second to see where a person is just completely full of poo poo. 90% the time, though? It doesn't matter, since in most jobs you end up learning as you go. For all his shortcomings, Reigen strikes me as a dude who, when put in most circumstances, can totally roll with the punches.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Wark Say posted:

In previous jobs where I had to interview peeps for a position, you can take one second to see where a person is just completely full of poo poo. 90% the time, though? It doesn't matter, since in most jobs you end up learning as you go. For all his shortcomings, Reigen strikes me as a dude who, when put in most circumstances, can totally roll with the punches.

Reigen's shown an extremely wide spread of skills in the jobs he does, it's just that "blast ghosts with sheer psychic force" is not one of them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I would let Reigen use my phone number as a front for a latex company for his references.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I warned you! You fools!

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
That was loving beautiful!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reigen ftw

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

This

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I knew what Mob was going to say when Reigen asked him if he knew who he really was, but it made me all mushy inside anyway.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Havent seen the ep yet but I'm going to make a controversial post

Mob ftw

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Mob is a good and wholesome boy, and I pretty much had tears in my eyes, seeing what he represents in Reigen's life.

I just wanna see this good lad grow up big and strong, alright?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mob, Saikou. This show's the best thing airing right now and nobody else is even close. Showing Mob and Reigen's meeting again from Reigen's perspective was an obvious move but still crazy effective. And the end of the episode was, of course, perfection.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
What an absolute wonderful episode. Even having read, that ending got me really emotional. This is a near perfect story being near perfectly adapted.

I seriously almost cry every time I see the flashback. Little fifth grade Mob being so amazed to hear someone try to relate to him kills me

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 19, 2019

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

i was legit in tears at the credits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

What an absolute wonderful episode. Even having read, that ending got me really emotional. This is a near perfect story being near perfectly adapted.

Yeah, I think at this point I can pretty confidently say Mob Psycho 100 is my all-time favorite manga, and the adaptation has just been amazing.