Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

- Monaca! You may recall that "Miaya" also did not show Naegi her bracelet. However, I don't remember if she's actually lying about her Forbidden Action. :v:

Well, Miaya is a robot. So, does it matter? Just another point that we've already gone through in VLR.

EDIT: We might as well just assume Monaca took an opportunity when she wasn't being watched to trigger the Forbidden Action just to get it out of the way and not have it blow her cover when nothing happens after Miaya gets hit with what should be lethal poison.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FoolyCharged posted:

Why are the remnants even bothering with the killing game pretense this time? Everyone locked in that building is pretty gungho on murdering each other without any prompting required,

Well this was the spark that was need to get them killing each other.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well this was the spark that was need to get them killing each other.

Was it though? Because right before this happened half the group was deadset on killing makoto and the other half on defending him. And I do mean DEAD set. You don't need the game to start the fireworks, just the key to the exit.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Oh, now I understand why you're doing this.

It's odd to read an LP of an anime, it doesn't seem like it's for me at all, as I haven't seen the show and your commentary is a little difficult to follow. I''m just now getting my head around who everyone is, while if I was watching the show it'd be different. Actually this is a little bit more interesting than UDG's halfhearted nonsense, although the Aoi fakeout was dumb and the racist caricature really was something new for the series. I like revisiting the murder of Fuyuhiko's sister, for what it's worth.

Not sure I get the Monaca love and Miaya wasn't any more interesting, but despite hating most of DR2 and UDG I'm still here and this is going interesting places! :woop:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

eating only apples posted:

the racist caricature really was something new for the series.

Err what are you talking about.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Another point to the "somebody else" theory is that the count for survivors in the intro doesn't accurately reflect the people trapped in the building; it has an extra one person. You're meant to believe that the extra person is Hagakure (who's trapped outside the building, but some people thought otherwise.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Err what are you talking about.

The Ultimate Farmer, would be the only character I can think of matching that description.

Also, look at our boy Juzo go with his powerful pun game, are we sure mere missiles will stop him?

As far as Kyosuke having a point I think that's kind of intentional. He's the Byakuya/Nagito character of this set, the one who is intelligent and useful but ultimately a rival for ideological reasons. So he gets just enough right that the bits he gets wrong are even more highlighted.

From a "gameplay" standpoint I imagine Kyosuke would be pushing for the fastest resolution to the Trial without considering alternatives, but his interpretation of events would always appear to be correct at the start.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Ultimate Farmer, would be the only character I can think of matching that description.

But he's not even a caricature he's just a weird looking dude. He's also Japanese like everyone else.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

It's odd to read an LP of an anime, it doesn't seem like it's for me at all, as I haven't seen the show and your commentary is a little difficult to follow. I''m just now getting my head around who everyone is, while if I was watching the show it'd be different.

To be fair, not all of the characters have been properly introduced yet. We have about five or so characters whose deals we don't know yet.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

TheMcD posted:

Well, Miaya is a robot. So, does it matter? Just another point that we've already gone through in VLR.

EDIT: We might as well just assume Monaca took an opportunity when she wasn't being watched to trigger the Forbidden Action just to get it out of the way and not have it blow her cover when nothing happens after Miaya gets hit with what should be lethal poison.

In one of the earlier episodes Miaya makes a right turn without the bracelet going off in front of everybody but that could've been a production error.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
There's no rule that says you can't fake an entirely different forbidden action.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

So by now you've probably noticed that Future Arc is basically just a generic fighting anime. It doesn't really feel very Danganronpa at all to me anymore.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

They should've gone whole hog and just done Danganronpa 3: Arena Ultimax Side.

They already have Yu Narukami.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

SoundwaveAU posted:

So by now you've probably noticed that Future Arc is basically just a generic fighting anime. It doesn't really feel very Danganronpa at all to me anymore.

I can't wait to see Kyosuke's Bankai.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

At this point, I might as well sell myself as a window for how transparent I've gotten.

It's odd to read an LP of an anime, it doesn't seem like it's for me at all, as I haven't seen the show and your commentary is a little difficult to follow. I''m just now getting my head around who everyone is, while if I was watching the show it'd be different.

Yeah, this thing, more than anything else I've tried for an LP, is my ultimate "fly by the seat of my pants" project. I hardly ran this by anyone and sure as gently caress didn't do a test post or something like that, I'm just freestyling and hoping people can follow along. With mixed success, as you noticed. Still, I'm just going to power through, drat the torpedoes. I haven't abandoned an LP yet, and by god, this won't be the thing to beat me.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

At this point, I might as well sell myself as a window for how transparent I've gotten.

Yeah, this thing, more than anything else I've tried for an LP, is my ultimate "fly by the seat of my pants" project. I hardly ran this by anyone and sure as gently caress didn't do a test post or something like that, I'm just freestyling and hoping people can follow along. With mixed success, as you noticed. Still, I'm just going to power through, drat the torpedoes. I haven't abandoned an LP yet, and by god, this won't be the thing to beat me.

I also find this format difficult to follow.

It would help me a lot if you could just write a 2-line summary at the end of every update or every couple updates.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Carbon dioxide posted:

I also find this format difficult to follow.

It would help me a lot if you could just write a 2-line summary at the end of every update or every couple updates.

Sure, no problem! I'll do one for each update. I'll edit them in, but I'll also post them here so you don't have to go back. It's not as small as 2 lines, but I hope it's concise enough.

Future 1: Makoto ends up on trial for betraying Future Foundation after the stunt he pulled with the Neo World Program back in DR2. Things get interrupted when the building they're in is attacked, leaving our group of characters trapped. Monokuma shows up and says a new killing game will happen. Chisa ends up killed.

Despair 1: Chisa is made homeroom teacher for the 77th Class, the class that consists of the DR2 characters. Class attendance is very low, so Chisa takes everybody along to collect the rest of the class. Shenanigans ensue. Hajime, as a Reserve Course member, runs into Chiaki and the two seem to have a burgeoning friendship. Hajime is selected by a mysterious committee to be the test subject for the Izuru Kamukura project to create artificial talent.

Future 2: The killing game is explained, and it's basically Mafia plus everybody gets a specific action they're not allowed to do. Tensions rise and Juzo ends up attacking someone, which kills Bandai, because his forbidden action was to witness violence between the participants. Groups develop quickly, and Juzo and Kyosuke try to kill Makoto, though they fail. Kyosuke pursues Makoto, Aoi and Gozu, but is eventually stymied by a door. Makoto, Aoi, Gozu and Miaya barricade themselves in a room and fall asleep as the time limit expires. When Makoto wakes up, Aoi has been stabbed.

Despair 2: Akane and Nekomaru have a fight in the classroom, which bums Chiaki out because the entire class is so crazy, there's no real way to make friends for her. Chisa tells her to use her video games to make friends. Chisa and Kyosuke seem to have some sort of ulterior motive at Hope's Peak. Chisa and Kazuo talk to Hajime in an attempt to boost his confidence regarding his lack of talent. Chiaki ends up making friends with the rest of the class with her video games and gets elected to be class rep. Natsumi, Fuyuhiko's sister, is introduced in the Reserve Course.

Future 3: Aoi getting killed was a fakeout, instead, Gozu got killed. Makoto's group decides to seek out the monitoring room for Makoto to talk to everybody through the intercom. They reach the room and Makoto tries to explain to everybody why he did the DR2 stuff and tries to get them to trust him. Seiko hulks out with pills and attacks Ruruka and Sonozuke due to some apparent history between them. Juzo attacks Kyoko and her group. Kyosuke finds Makoto in the monitoring room, the two have a philosophy-off over how to deal with despair, and Kyosuke swings his sword at Makoto to end the episode.

Despair 3: Hajime mopes about his lack of talent. Sato, Natsumi and Mahiru have a fight with implications of murder in the Reserve Course class. Chiaki tries to get Makoto to not mope about his lack of talent. Sato and Natsumi have another fight with implications of murder. Natsumi then gets unceremoniously murdered. Hajime figures Sato has at least something to do with the murder, then Sato gets murdered. He tries to go to the Main Course to talk with Mahiru, but gets stopped by Juzo, who beats him up and gives him the cover-up story. Chisa and Juzo have a talk about Hope's Peak going to poo poo and Kyosuke trying to save it. Hajime decides to undergo the Izuru experiment.

Future 4: Seiko continues to attack Ruruka and Sonozuke, and we get some backstory. Juzo continues attacking Kyoko and her group, but is stopped when Kazuo suddenly turns super badass. Kyosuke turns out to have captured Makoto to use him as bait. Kazuo attacks Kyosuke, allowing Aoi and Miaya to rescue Makoto and flee. In fighting Kyosuke, Kazuo ended up impaled on some debris, but Kyosuke is no longer interested in killing Kazuo. Juzo chases Makoto and ends up facing off with Miaya. He knocks Miaya over, and it's revealed she is a robot that is being controlled by Monaca.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 20, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Rewrote this for more detail!

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 20, 2019

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Future Arc: At Future Foundation HQ, Makoto Naegi stands trial for protecting the kids from DR2 and attempting to reform them via therapy in the Matrix. Most of the rest of the FF think that they should've just killed SHSL Despair and are uncertain whether Makoto's actions are the result of him being a sleeper agent Despair or something. Naturally, his friends (or Aoi and Kyoko, at least) fall under suspicion as well... except for Hagakure, who is allowed to stay outside for some reason. I guess they figure he's too dumb to be capable of guile, which isn't untrue I suppose.

In any case, Juzo punches Makoto and causes him to cough up blood, resulting in him spending time recuperating with Chisa in the infirmary. She mentions she was the teacher of the DR2 cast. Before the trial resumes, Kyosuke tries to speak to Chisa about something but can't spit it out. A sudden attack on HQ ensues.

After everyone is knocked out by sleeping gas, they wake up to find themselves in a mafia killing game set up to be the final showdown between hope and despair. Also, Chisa died, because of course she did. Juzo and Kyosuke want to kill Makoto immediately, and Juzo punches Ryota for trying to defend Makoto, killing Bandai. Turns out they have Forbidden Actions preventing them from doing certain things. Bandai's is witnessing violence. Woops.

The Future Foundation then splits off into groups:

- Team Makoto: Makoto, Aoi, Great Gozu, and Miaya. Basically are trying to keep Makoto safe. Gozu is killed by the attacker, though, and it turns out Miaya is a robot piloted by Monaca.

- Team Kyosuke: Kyosuke and Juzo. Basically just want to kill Makoto and pals. While Kyosuke has a grim outlook on life with some degrees of sense, Juzo just seems like a psycho that likes punching. Kyosuke is also kind of a psycho too, though, and regularly carries around a katana and walks on top of meeting room tables to introduce himself.

- Team Kyoko: Kyoko, Koichi, Tengan, and Ryota. Probably the most competent team given they're actually trying to solve what's going on instead of just running around.

- Team TRAITOR TRAITOR TRAITOR: Seiko, Ruruka, and Izayoi. The latter two are fighting the former because of some school related issue that this is totally a good time to get into a pissing match over.

- Team Comic Relief: Hagakure. He's outside being shot at by an attack helicopter. This is a gag and should not be taken seriously.

Anyway, at present Makoto is on the lam, the traitor bunch is at each other's throats, and Kyosuke and Munakata are engaged in Mortal Kombat.

Despair Arc: A dead Chisa recalls being the homeroom teacher of the DR2 cast while watching DR3 Future in the afterlife. Chisa recalls whipping her class into shape and getting them to attend class, with notable changes being that the Imposter is disguised as Ryota now instead of Byakuya and Chiaki has a real world counterpart. Chiaki meets and befriends Hajime, who also goes on to have a few positive interactions with Chisa, who tries to convince him of his value as a normal person.

Beyond that, Chiaki learns the importance of multiplayer games, Tengan also tells Hajime "Hey, maybe don't take part in this crazy experiment that will give you an evil persona", Fuyuhiko's sister is murdered, and Hajime investigates the murder and is punched by Juzo, prompting him to decide to become Kamakura. Chisa, Kyosuke, and Juzo are also seemingly investigating suspicious activity from the school in the background, with the implication that Chisa's job as a teacher and Juzo's job as security were for the purpose of this investigation.

--------------------------------------

Now for our new characters, we have (from left to right and front row first, followed by the back row):

- Koichi Kizakura: Former Hope's Peak Academy Talent Scout. One of the few people who seems unbothered by the killing game, probably because no one seems to have a beef with him directly so far. Sussed out Miaya as the possible killer on a hunch, which might not be wrong given present reveals. Looking for "her". (Forbidden Action: Unknown)

- Seiko Kimura: Former Super High School Level Pharmacist. Really dislikes Ruruka (and maybe Izayoi?) due to some event in the past that resulted in her being expelled from Hope's Peak. Was one of the few people who cared when Bandai died. Also, apparently turns into the Tasmanian Devil after popping a whole jar of pills. (Forbidden Action: Unknown)

- Sonosuke Izayoi: Former Super High School Level Blacksmith. Really dislikes Seiko due to some event in the past that resulted in him being expelled from Hope's Peak. Is perfectly okay threatening Aoi when Makoto was on trial earlier. Currently on the run from Seiko. (Forbidden Action: Unknown)

- Ruruka Ando: Former Super High School Level Confectioner. Really dislikes Seiko due to some event in the past that resulted in her being expelled from Hope's Peak. Is perfectly okay threatening Aoi when Makoto was on trial earlier. Keeps trying to feed Izayoi candy unsuccessfully and is currently on the run from Seiko. (Forbidden Action: Unknown)

- Ryota Mitarai: Former Super High School Level Animator. Apparently wasn't expected to be in the building and got roped into the killing game as a result. Whiny and ineffectual. Apparently a part of the DR2 class? (Forbidden Action: Unknown)

- Miaya Gekkogahara: Former Super High School Level Therapist. Is a robot piloted by Monaca. Also uses Usami/Monomi to talk. ...That's it. (Forbidden Action: Turning Right?)

- Kazuo Tengan: Former Headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy. Old man who Kyosuke saw as a nuisance due to being mild. Seemingly a reasonable authority figure who likes both Makoto and Hajime. Apparently is some kind of kung fu badass in his spare time. (Forbidden Action: Unknown)

- Chisa Yukizome: Former Super High School Level Housekeeper. Really nice woman who also isn't afraid to threaten her students with violence... in her initial appearance, anyway. Becomes milder as time goes on. Has the misfortune of being dead, but doesn't let that stop her from going to the movies. (Forbidden Action: Unknown)

- Great Gozu: Former Super High School Level Wrestler. A guy wearing a bull mask who is also a wrestler. Possibly related to El Toro Fuerte. Was violently killed by the attacker. (Forbidden Action: Unknown)

- Juzo Sakakura: Former Super High School Level Boxer. Very angry man who enjoys punching, kicking, and otherwise hurting people. Is very loyal to Kyosuke and also seems fond of Chisa. Typically tends to make situations worse, such as killing Bandai or pushing Hajime into Hope Surgery. Fountain of Memes. (Forbidden Action: Unknown)

- Kyosuke Munakata: Former Super High School Level Student Council President. Seemingly the actual head of the Future Foundation. The "realist" to Makoto's "idealist", I suppose, albeit with a lot more over-the-top mannerisms and action prone behavior than ahoge boy. Looks like Yu Narukami. (Forbidden Action: Unknown)

- Daisaku Bandai: Former Super High School Level Farmer. Says weird things and dies anticlimactically. (Forbidden Action: Witnessing Violence)

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 20, 2019

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks!

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 20, 2019

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

TheMcD posted:

Despair 2: Akane and Nekomaru have a fight in the classroom, which bums Chiaki out because the entire class is so crazy, there's no real way to make friends for her. Chisa tells her to use her video games to make friends. Chisa and Kyosuke seem to have some sort of ulterior motive at Hope's Peak. Chisa and Kazuo talk to Makoto in an attempt to boost his confidence regarding his lack of talent. Chiaki ends up making friends with the rest of the class with her video games and gets elected to be class rep. Natsumi, Fuyuhiko's sister, is introduced in the Reserve Course.

Hajime

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, a fun thing is that Kyosuke has this whole speech about how if someone comes to save Makoto they can't be trusted because they might be trying to worm their way into the FF and cause some problems.

Which seems to be exactly what Monaca is doing.

So, y'know, another point in favor of Kyosuke not being a complete lunatic.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, a fun thing is that Kyosuke has this whole speech about how if someone comes to save Makoto they can't be trusted because they might be trying to worm their way into the FF and cause some problems.

Which seems to be exactly what Monaca is doing.

So, y'know, another point in favor of Kyosuke not being a complete lunatic.

Isnt everyone here already in big at future foundation though? This was supposed to be a big wig conference of the leadership to put makoto on trial. The only people who aren't already running ff were makoto and friends. His theory is basically, "what if someone in Congress is murdering congressmen to work their way into congress?"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FoolyCharged posted:

Isnt everyone here already in big at future foundation though? This was supposed to be a big wig conference of the leadership to put makoto on trial. The only people who aren't already running ff were makoto and friends. His theory is basically, "what if someone in Congress is murdering congressmen to work their way into congress?"

The thing is, and Kyosuke is touching on it, Makoto and his friends weren't vetted the same way as everyone else was which is why them being traitors to the cause for saving the Despairs is so believable to Kyosuke. The Future Foundation has been fighting to rebuild the world since the start of the Tragedy, Makoto was just a very powerful potential ally to them because of the global broadcast of the original Killing School Life. If the Ultimate Hope who could defeat even the creator of the Tragedy is on the side of the Future Foundation they're obviously correct.

At the same time this means that Makoto needs to actually be a good guy or the Future Foundation have a massive future problem on their hands, and whilst we the viewers/players know he's good the in universe people are unsure because what if the entire Killing School Life was a set-up by the Remnants etc.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

We begin our episode with Chisa handing out the exam schedule for Hope's Peak. Turns out that exams at Hope's Peak are not regular exams, but rather practical ones where the students show their talents. Class reaction to Chisa's attempt to psych them up for the exams is... mild. Also, note the missing dog posters.

Next, Nagito asks Chisa to cancel the exams. His rationale is pretty much his normal modus operandi - they're not at full capacity because they're still down because of the murders, so while the class is surely talented enough to pass with flying colors, they would shine even greater if they were allowed to recover - basically his hope schtick, just without mentioning the word "hope". Chisa, however, turns him down, saying that the exams will have a fair bit of media coverage, and so they can't move them on short notice.

Nagito, uh, appears to not take it that well, but recovers quickly and just leaves.

When outside the room, he talks to himself, basically saying that that was a long shot anyway, and now he can just move on... to Plan B. Not ominous at all.

Looks like we're being told that this will be a Nagito episode. Well, that'll make somebody in the thread happy.

Out by the fountain, Chiaki is sad because Hajime isn't showing up anymore.

Meanwhile, Nagito has a chat with Teruteru and gives him a little gift.

That gift being a Sayaka photobook that supposedly sold out in record time, but Nagito just happened to stumble upon one lying by the side of the road. In exchange, Nagito just wants to know who that girl was that helped him with that doping soup.

So he gets pointed to Seiko, who he promptly scares the poo poo out of by just showing up.

Which causes a bit of a reaction. Anyway, Nagito ordered a laxative from Seiko. Since somebody else suddenly started yelling outside the door, Seiko goes to the door and tells Nagito to get what he wanted himself - top shelf, far right.

And who would be at the door but Ruruka and Sonozuke!

Ruruka wants Seiko's performance enhancer, but Seiko says that she needs that for her own exam.

Meanwhile, Nagito is in the back, trying to grab the laxative he needs.

However, he's using a ladder, which is a bit wobbly, and he falls off, with both the blue and the green vial falling out with him.

Seiko really doesn't want to give Ruruka the performance enhancer, so Ruruka turns on the charm and plays on them being childhood friends and her really needing that performance enhancer, all that good guilt tripping poo poo.

Nagito now has a dilemma. He's got both the green and the blue vial, and can't remember which one was on the right. Them being called "Reanimator" and "Reactivator" doesn't help. He decides to trust his luck and picks the green one - the wrong one.

Seiko has meanwhile acquiesced to Ruruka, and Ruruka heads to the back to get the performance enhancer. She also makes a comment about Seiko never eating her sweets. Even money at best on that being a plot point that comes up later.

Nagito heads out with what he believes to be his laxative, leaving Ruruka to head into the back and grab something from the top shelf in the middle.

That being the Reactivator. This is going to lead to some serious hijinx.

Then, people find that a sort of ransom note has been posted at Hope's Peak.

Also, dog!

They tear the note off and plan to proceed, though with security on high alert. They ponder what the bad things could be. One suggests arson, another an explosive, another thinks it's just a stupid prank.

One of the three is on the money.

Meanwhile, Seiko is on the run, apparently being late to the exam due to pulling an all-nighter before.

But suddenly, Nagito is in the way!

And, well, seeing this picture, you can probably reason out what happened. Yes, they both have the same bag, and they get switched, and so now both of them have the other's bag without knowing it. After the collision, Seiko asks Nagito about his "issue", to which Nagito replies that her medicine worked great.

This makes Seiko very happy.

And then she realizes she's late and bolts off.

We next find ourselves in the exam hall. It's jam packed and being broadcast on TV.

Seiko finds Sonozuke there waiting...

...and Ruruka up on stage having her exam.

Ruruka really talks up her sweets, saying they give you a ton of energy and basically make you feel like you can fly - because of course, she put the performance enhancer in there. Or what she thought to be the performance enhancer.

The judges take a single bite and immediately know something's wrong.

Or not, as they all seem to be having a heavenly experience that apparently turns them into noteworthy characters.

And then the laxatives kick in, leaving all the judges in agony.

Seiko realizes what happened, and Ruruka and Sonozuke think Seiko gave them the laxative intentionally. This then leads the judges to conclude that Seiko was the one that made that threat. Seiko can however fix this easily! All she needs is to get something out of her bag and she can mix up an antidote!

...oh, right. There was that bag switching thing. Somebody says that that looks like a detonator, and that immediately spreads through the crowd, causing panic.

Seiko tries to explain what happened, saying that Ruruka can confirm her story, since they're best friends and all.

That sets Ruruka off, who basically just dumps on Seiko, saying that they were never best friends and never will be, and calls her subhuman trash, amongst other things. Seiko counters that all she ever did was basically bend over backwards for Ruruka, doing whatever she wanted all the time, and the only reason she gave her that drug was because she asked for it.

The two get really angry at each other. A big point is being made of them both accusing each other of being a traitor. Poignant word, that.

Outside, Nagito is ready to deal with the examiners, having what he believes to be the laxatives and the detonator for the explosives.

Also, dog!

Oh no!

The dog jumping at Nagito's leg caused him to drop one of the cups, and the dog starts drinking it.

The dog then shows a reaction.

...quite a reaction. Nagito figures that what he has can't be the laxative, so that part of the plan is out. At least he still has the bomb...

...or so he thought. And then, the giant dog suddenly runs off...

...and straight up crashes through the wall into the exam hall.

So as Nagito mopes about his lack of luck outside, Ruruka and Seiko find themselves face to face with a giant dog. Sonozuke just straight up got stepped on.

The two fall backwards...

...and land in the worst spot.

And just as Nagito declares himself to be so fortunate to experience misfortune as the Ultimate Lucky Student, the bomb goes off.

When Chisa and some others arrive at the scene, all they find is ruins and Nagito talking to himself about how he was lucky after all.

Also, dog is back to normal size.

So, following that incident, Nagito has a talk with Chisa. He does his regular spiel about talent, how those born with talent are all that matters, and how great it is to see them collide in a battle of hopes. Chisa says that hope isn't supposed to be a battlefield, and Nagito replies that she doesn't have to listen to anything he says, since he's just a nobody.

That leads Chisa to slap Nagito. She asks him that he never talk about himself like that again, that he's not a nobody, he's her student, and as his teacher, she's proud of him and declares that he and all his classmates will graduate together.

After that, we have a meeting between Chisa, Jin and Koichi.

So it turns out that this was the incident that led to the expelling of Seiko, Ruruka and Sonozuke.

Hope's Peak basically had to find a perpetrator and punish them, given the media coverage. Also note that Nagito's luck did some overtime work in having no casualties happen in a bombing that straight destroyed the building. The topic then changes to Nagito, with Chisa having given the story that he was just an innocent bystander. However, there are quite a few eyewitnesses that believe that Nagito was not only involved, but even the mastermind, and the media is also calling for him to be expelled.

Chisa proceeds to cover for Nagito, saying her negligence was to blame, and if they need to scapegoat somebody, then her.

Jin then takes a somewhat different, but peak Hope's Peak approach - even if Nagito was the mastermind, he didn't administer the laxative or trigger the bomb. Him getting this result without directly intervening in any way is a talent they can't let go. So as a result, Nagito will be suspended, Koichi as homeroom teacher will be placed on probation, and Chisa as assistant homeroom teacher will be transferred to the Reserve Course. And the practical exams will be postponed, so Nagito achieved exactly what he wanted.

Chisa then makes her way to the class...

...only to find them all staring wordlessly at her. Even the dog!

However, as she comes in, it becomes clear that they all want her to stay. The topic of Nagito getting suspended comes up, and they kind of assume he just did something stupid, but Chisa tells them that all he wanted to do was help them, and to keep that in mind when he comes back, since they mostly treated him like a weirdo outsider (which, mind, is entirely reasonable given the way he acts).

Chisa tells everybody to stay positive and that while they're calling what she's doing a transfer, she promises that she'll be back with the class eventually.

In the meantime, she tells class rep Chiaki to protect everyone.

Finally, we get a post-credits scene of Chisa talking to Kyosuke about her getting sent to the Reserve Course. Chisa notes that this should make the investigation easier. Kyosuke notices that she doesn't seem to be quite happy about it.

And, well, she isn't. She says that it's not really professional, given that she's conducting an investigation, but it was just hard to say goodbye to the class. But she'll now be moving on to the Reserve Course, and with that, we end the episode.

Next time, it's back to Future Side, and now that we've gotten a look into the history of Seiko, Ruruka and Sonozuke, the next episode will also be focused on them.

What the gently caress just happened?: There's practical exams at Hope's Peak. Nagito wants to delay them so the others can recover from the whole murder thing that happened before and shine even brighter, planning to mess up the exams with laxatives from Seiko to poison the judges and explosives for if that plan fails. Meanwhile, Ruruka wants a performance enhancer from Seiko to use in her sweets for the exam. Shenanigans happen, and Ruruka ends up with the laxative and Seiko ends up with Nagito's bag with the detonator. More shenanigans ensue and the exam hall gets blown up. Ruruka, Seiko and Sonozuke get expelled, Nagito gets suspended and Chisa gets transferred to the Reserve Course. Also, dog!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

This episode bothers me a bit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, Nagito typically only exploited his luck in DR2 when there was part of a plan he had that he couldn't account for, like needing to draw the short straw so he could set up his killing game trap or ensuring that Chiaki was the one who killed him by making her throw poison. Sure, he'd occasionally do something like Extreme Russian Roulette just to show off a little, but typically his luck was something he brought out last minute, right?

Here he can easily just say "Hey, Seiko, was it the green one or the blue one?" to a person who is literally one room over, but just... doesn't. Because we have to have our dumb falling out for Ruruka and Seiko.

Also, Ruruka is a terrible person and Sonosuke gets expelled just... because, I guess. By now you've probably noticed that he has, like, no character and is basically just Ruruka's orbiter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Honestly even for Nagito, it's kind of amazing upon being told "no the exam's will not be postponed", for his plan B to be poisoning and terrorism.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Nagito's luck is based around getting what he wants, even if it takes a roundabout path to get there. He wanted the exams postponed, so his luck caused the wobbly stepladder to fall, makes him pick the wrong vial, causes Seiko to run into him and swap their bags, causes the dog to jump up to him and lick the potion, and causes Ruruka and Seiko to both fall on the detonator. He wanted to stop the exams for his classmates, and his luck did just that.

It's crazy stuff like this and everything that he did in DR2 that makes him my favorite DR character, even with the new characters in V3 to compete with.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

MonsterEnvy posted:

Honestly even for Nagito, it's kind of amazing upon being told "no the exam's will not be postponed", for his plan B to be poisoning and terrorism.

Nagito just has a natural disposition towards blowing poo poo up.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This episode's title is a Haruhi Suzumiya reference, obviously.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

BlazeEmblem posted:

Nagito's luck is based around getting what he wants, even if it takes a roundabout path to get there. He wanted the exams postponed, so his luck caused the wobbly stepladder to fall, makes him pick the wrong vial, causes Seiko to run into him and swap their bags, causes the dog to jump up to him and lick the potion, and causes Ruruka and Seiko to both fall on the detonator. He wanted to stop the exams for his classmates, and his luck did just that.

It's crazy stuff like this and everything that he did in DR2 that makes him my favorite DR character, even with the new characters in V3 to compete with.

No, don't get me wrong, I know Nagito weaponizes his luck. It's just that this situation seems so nonsensical to just be like "Well, I'll trust my luck." He literally only has to ask a question.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No, don't get me wrong, I know Nagito weaponizes his luck. It's just that this situation seems so nonsensical to just be like "Well, I'll trust my luck." He literally only has to ask a question.

You make a reasonable point, but it contains one error: expecting Nagito 'better stab my own legs forty times for flimsy reasons' Komaeda to make a rational decision.

In all seriousness, you're right; the premise of this episode is implausible and silly, and I feel you're also right to think the anime leans more heavily on Komaeda's luck than the game. But I can forgive a bit of farce, given that Danganronpa's always been fairly ridiculous, and Komaeda's luck actually gives a sort of basis for farce to occur.

Also, we get a giant dog out of it.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's just that this situation seems so nonsensical to just be like "Well, I'll trust my luck." He literally only has to ask a question.

But if he actually asks for confirmation like a normal human being, that's giving his luck one less chance to affect things! :sun:

TheMcD posted:

Looks like we're being told that this will be a Nagito episode. Well, that'll make somebody in the thread happy.

it me

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, Ruruka is a terrible person and Sonosuke gets expelled just... because, I guess. By now you've probably noticed that he has, like, no character and is basically just Ruruka's orbiter.

hahaha, I never actually thought about how Sonosuke had no reason to be expelled, since that would require putting thought into Sonosuke being an independent being

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Nice change from the usual trope of the female love interest having no character, I guess :v:

Ruruka is a garbage human being and maybe actually my least favourite DR character, although Teruteru gives her a run for her money.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

We begin this episode with a flashback. We see a young Seiko and some dogs.

But oh no, a bike comes speeding along and hits the dogs!

Seiko tries to save the one dog with medicine, but it doesn't work, and the dog dies.

But as Seiko cries over the death of the dog, somebody else shows up.

It's Ruruka! Apparently Seiko tried to save the other dog as well, and it worked with that one.

Ruruka introduces herself, and a friendship is born.

We then get another flashback. Seiko is out in a garden collecting herbs or flowers, undoubtedly something to make medicine out of, when Ruruka calls her over.

It is here we learn that Seiko can't eat Ruruka's sweets because Seiko is on medication herself, and eating sugar would cause awful sideeffects. Ruruka says that that sucks, since the only thing better than sweets is sharing them with friends. Seiko gets flustered, thinking that that means she can't be Ruruka's friend, but Ruruka reassures Seiko that she's still her friend. Seiko then asks if there's something she could do for Ruruka, if she can't eat her sweets.

We get a voiceover from present Seiko talking about how she believes they really were friends back then, but before long, Ruruka just started taking advantage of her.

And with that, we're back in the present, with Seiko on the prowl.

She spots something that looks suspiciously like Sonozuke, and strikes.

However, it turns out that that was just a slightly-human shaped mass of blades with a red cloak draped over it, and that cut the hell out of Seiko's hand.

A bunch of lights turn on all around, and Sonozuke shows up to gloat about how he made that from a special alloy that hurts a lot.

But, well, Seiko wouldn't be Seiko if she didn't have another trick up her sleeve. So she just injects herself with something...

...and her hand just almost instantly fixes itself. Note the green color of the stuff. Chances are good that that was the same Reanimator substance we've seen before.

Sonozuke declares that he will kill Seiko here - and he will do it in the name of deliciousness. Yes, he actually said that.

Next, we're back with Kazuo and Kyosuke, back on the topic of Kyosuke wanting to know what was in Kazuo's head.

Kyosuke flashes back to a point where he was out on a rescue operation and got ambushed by some despair follower...

...but then Kazuo just swooped in, absorbed the blow and knocked the guy into next Sunday.

He then collapsed from the pain and Kyosuke had to carry him back.

Kyosuke talks about how Kazuo's resolve was terrifiying, but then he tucked his tail between his legs, and now Kyosuke wants to know what happened.

Kazuo simply says that he realized that they've come to an impasse with their current methods, and that they couldn't beat despair. Kyosuke just says that that's where he would come in, and Kazuo just asks again if that is what he sacrificed Chisa for, which shuts him up. Kazuo then says that even though Kyosuke thinks so, wiping out the Remnants won't wipe out despair, and victory isn't just achieved through war.

Then, we're with Makoto and Aoi, talking about whether Miaya is fine or not, but they're interrupted when somebody apparently just blows through a wall.

And who would it be but our boy Juzo. Makoto tells Aoi to make a break for it...

But Aoi just grabs a weapon herself and faces off with Juzo. She asks Juzo what he's doing with a weapon if he's an Ultimate Boxer, and Juzo replies that his fists are only for opponents that are worth a drat. Hrm. The two start fighting, and Makoto asks why Juzo is doing this, to which Juzo just replies that Makoto is in Kyosuke's way.

And we're back to Sonozuke and Seiko, with Sonozuke throwing knives and Seiko just knocking them away.

Seiko jumps down, but then stops because she smells something. Something sweet.

She leaps across the room and finds Ruruka, albeit with the two separated by some sort of powerful glass.

We then get some quick flashbacks. With Ruruka asking Seiko to make her some lip balm...

...basically using Seiko as her doctor whenever she's sick...

...passive-aggressively asking Seiko for something to help her with the exams...

...and getting some sort of stimulant from Seiko, who warns Ruruka that she has to use it in moderation, which Ruruka doesn't really react to. We then get some voiceover from Ruruka basically ascribing the change in the relationship between her and Seiko to Seiko not trying her sweets, saying something about how it was basically the only thing she did well, and still Seiko refused to acknowledge her talent. So basically, she's a prick that either forgot or willfully ignores that doing that might actually kill Seiko.

And now, she finds herself face to face with a Seiko that has had absolutely enough of Ruruka's bullshit.

In backing away, Ruruka pushes a nearby keyboard, which causes the lights to go even brighter.

Ruruka then spots Seiko's shadow and has an idea.

She steps closer to the shadow...

...and Seiko immediately moves out of the way. It seems like we now know what Seiko's forbidden action is.

She whispers something to Sonozuke (who showed up at one point during this scene) and he then runs off. Seiko asks what he is doing, and Ruruka replies that he's going to get a weapon with which they can finish her off once and for all. Ruruka also says that she thinks she's figured out Seiko's forbidden action.

And to test it, she runs towards Seiko's shadow again, which causes Seiko to drop down. Indeed, it seems like her forbidden action is "having her shadow stepped on".

Once again, we're back with Kazuo and Kyosuke. Kazuo continues to elaborate on his line of thinking - he says Kyosuke believes that the wholesale slaughter of the Remnants would lead to hope, but that line of thinking is flawed. It's exactly that line of thinking that led to the Kamukura project. Kazuo says that only a fool would think of that as the end-all-be-all.

And from this, Kyosuke somehow comes to the conclusion that Kazuo is the attacker.

And then we just cut to Yasuhiro being outside, yelling at Makoto to let him in and being chased by the attack helicopter.

Next, we see Sonozuke in a room, searching for something.

Turns out that it seems there were two weapons hidden in that room, a blade and a gun. Sonozuke wonders if he should throw away his pride as a blacksmith, then picks up the gun.

Yasuhiro continues being chased and narrowly escapes an explosion.

That explosion then knocks over a bookcase in the room Sonozuke is in, revealing...

...a secret exit! Or entrance, whatever.

We cut back to Ruruka gloating about how she figured out Seiko's forbidden action by noticing that Seiko panicked when all the lights turned out, and how she kept avoiding Sonozuke like poison. But then Ruruka says that she might be willing to let Seiko go, heck, even bury the hatchet.

All she would have to do is try one of Ruruka's sweets. Yep, she's still on that. Seiko replies she's told her countless times that she'll die if she does that, but Ruruka still only seems to regard that as an excuse. However, she comes up with an alternative. All Seiko would have to do now to get off the hook is kill Kyosuke. Seiko says she can't do that.

Turns out that after she got expelled from Hope's Peak, Kyosuke took her in and gave her a second chance.

So instead, Seiko goes back to pill power and makes a fairly logical decision for someone who's so hopped up on pills she can leap through the air like she can fly and seems to hardly flinch from pain:

Just bash all the lights in!

And just like that, she's right back in Ruruka's face.

And as Seiko starts bashing in what I assume to be bulletproof glass or something, we get quick shots of the flashbacks again and voiceovers from both Seiko and Ruruka wondering where it all went wrong. From Seiko's point of view, she needed a friend, and would've followed Ruruka to hell for it, giving her everything because she wanted Ruruka to like her, but Ruruka just thumbed her nose at Seiko - all she was to Ruruka was just a tool. From Ruruka's point of view, the reason she asked so much of Seiko was because she believed in Seiko, because she admired how Seiko always had a solution for any problem - Ruruka ultimately wanted to be like Seiko.

And then, the glass shatters and Ruruka starts running away, with Seiko in pursuit.

Meanwhile (you know, I said it before, but I really have no idea how "meanwhile" this all is - were those two fighting all this time?) Aoi and Juzo are still fighting, with Aoi taking this opportunity to slam that two-pronged pipe into the ground over Juzo's pipe, locking it down.

We then get a real Scooby-Doo shot with Ruruka just running straight past all this.

Seiko, meanwhile, decides to take some time out to beat up on Juzo.

She then notices the scrapes on Aoi's arm and just seems to want to give her something, but it's hard to not look threatening when you look like Seiko does right now. But then, something busts through a wall behind them!

It's Miaya!

Or, Monaca, rather. She wonders if she should do this, but figures just a little won't hurt.

Also, she seems to also be able to control the robot with an arcade stick of sorts, which is pretty rad.

Miayabot shoots her wheelchair-mounted rocket launchers again, with Monaca saying that a girl's gotta keep herself entertained somehow, right?

This gives Aoi and Makoto a chance to bail.

So after all those explosions, let's cut to Kyoko quietly doing detective work. Koichi asks if she's found anything yet, and Kyoko says that yes, she found quite a lot, but she needs to also check Gozu's body, so she and Ryota head off.

We're then back with Kyosuke and Kazuo. Kyosuke begins his explanation as to why he thinks Kazuo is the attacker by saying that only very few knew about this base, and of those that knew, even less would have the ability to cut them off like this. It all makes sense, except for the why. Kyosuke asks why Kazuo would align himself with the Remnants, to which Kazuo replies that he's not, though he admits it's a logical conclusion, albeit one fairly simple for a mind like Kyosuke's. Kyosuke then asks if he's not the attacker, who is?

Kazuo then replies, but we, as the viewers, are not allowed to hear it, so all we get is silence.

But Kyosuke can hear it, and he can't believe it. He can only dumbfoundedly ask if that's true, and Kazuo...

...reveals his forbidden action. To that, Kyosuke can only laugh.

He then declares he's done second-guessing himself, and charges Kazuo...

...who somehow pulls out the thing he was impaled on and stabs Kyosuke right in the eye with it.

Which then leads to Kyosuke straight slashing Kazuo's throat.

Kyosuke then says that Kazuo doesn't know him, and doesn't know what he has in store.

Kazuo manages to gargle out that while that might be true, Kyosuke knows nothing about the nature of hope.

And then he dies.

Kyosuke checks the time limit, leaves his blood-soaked jacket behind, and heads out.

We then cut to Seiko, who's not doing so well. She's really beating herself up about being unable to help anybody, like the time she tried to save Daisaku and failed. She calls herself useless and says she just wanted to help, that that's the reason behind everything she does.

She then pulls out a wrapped bonbon out of her pocket, and says that she just wanted to be a friend, and asks if that was so bad.

Then, the timer hits zero, and we fade to black.

We then get the continuation of the flashback from earlier.

Turns out that Ruruka gave that to Seiko when they first met.

And Seiko held on to it all this time...

...quite a long time...

...until her death, in fact. And that's the episode.

But not quite, because we get a post-credits stinger again. It's Kyosuke! What's he doing?

He's injecting himself with some stuff.

It seems to have been quite painful.

Oh dear. You might not notice this, hell, I had to double-check myself, but those are the same eyes Seiko had after going on full pill power earlier this episode. That can't be good for Makoto. And that's the episode! Next time, it's back to Despair Side, where we'll learn something about a character that has shown up in Despair Side before, except he hasn't really shown up. Also, an old favorite makes her return!

As an aside, there's a few educated guesses you can make as to certain people's forbidden actions. Take a guess, if you want to! There's one that seems particularly obvious, and one that can also seem like a fairly obvious connection.

What the gently caress just happened?: We get more Seiko/Ruruka backstory, and the basic gist is that Seiko felt like Ruruka just used her like a tool, but Ruruka just kept asking things of Seiko because she admired Seiko's ability to come up with solutions. A large part of their current battle revolves around Seiko's forbidden action, having someone step on her shadow, but eventually, Seiko gets to Ruruka and chases her, though she eventually gives up on that in favor of helping Aoi and Makoto fight Juzo. Seiko eventually ends up being the next victim after the time limit runs out. Also, Kazuo got killed by Kyosuke, but not before telling him who the attacker was, which had to be true because Kazuo's forbidden action is answering a question with a lie. Kazuo also stabbed Kyosuke in the eye. Also also, Sonozuke stumbled across what seems to be a secret entrance/exit.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

On one hand, the idea of Ruruka and Seiko's friendship falling apart because of Ruruka's insecurities over not being able to share her talent with her friend is kind of interesting. I can't entirely say that I don't fully understand the idea of her getting more bitter about Seiko not eating her candy given that she can appreciate Seiko's talents, but feels like Seiko doesn't need her at all with that creating some silently growing resentment. It's kind of a neat thing.

The only problem is that Ruruka is mad that Seiko won't literally kill herself to soothe her ego. And that Seiko doesn't really do anything wrong on her end, so it's just Ruruka being a tool. Like, the question of "Where did it all go so wrong?" ALMOST works, but there's really only proper characterization on Ruruka's end. If there was something more on Seiko's end aside from "nice girl who wants to help people" then maybe you'd have something. As it is, it looks like Ruruka is just a piece of poo poo.

Speaking of which, Ruruka is a piece of poo poo. "Well, if you can't kill yourself for me, could you kill your boss?"

Anyway, two other character who tried to help the DR1 cast died and I'm beginning to see a pattern here! This is around the time I started to lose interest in Future, because it was becoming really obvious what the death flags for characters was. If you try to help Makoto, you're done. :shrug:

But Kyosuke going full RULES OF NATURE! was good enough to keep me watching. :allears:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, the big problem with seeing things from Ruruka's side is that Seiko is, like, a Chihiro-level "did nothing wrong and only ever tried to help" type. You might say that she tried to kill Ruruka, and yet, when faced with the choice of chasing Ruruka down or helping somebody else, she immediately chose the latter. We don't know what she would have done if she had actually managed to get Ruruka - judging by her character, she might not have been able to finish the job if she actually got the opportunity.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Honestly compared to the other Killing Games, this feels like generic anime.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I love Seiko and I was so sad when she turned up dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Honestly compared to the other Killing Games, this feels like generic anime.

Agreed. The Despair parts are interesting because they're giving backstory to already established characters. On the other hand, the Future arc feels like someone had an idea for a show but wasn't sure if it'd be popular so they slapped a thin coat of Danganronpa paint all over it.