Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Torrannor posted:

That depends. If you have infidels next door, you can use holy wars to conquer one duchy at a time, limited only by the truce timer. If you have special combinations of religion/culture/government, you can use the powerful invasion casus belli.

If you're Christian in a mostly Christian Europe, then you are indeed best served by the marriage game. Marry your heir to somebody with an inheritable claim to a kingdom, press the claim to the kingdom once you play your grandson.

I just wanna be king/queen of Ireland but everyone is Catholic here so it's been slow going as I wait for claims/marriage inheritances pay off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Keep in mind that if you have the title to a duchy or a kingdom, everyone inside it is "supposed to" be your vassal, and you can declare war to vassalize them, or even just ask nicely if the circumstances are right. So work on getting to 51% of as many titles as possible, and then force people to get in line.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If the RNG is being kind to you, sometimes you can get claims on multiple duchies at once, so you just have to go to war once for them all. Also works if you sweet talk the Pope into giving you a claim.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
early on i frequently just eat the penalties associated with declaring unjust wars if i'm close to a big title, especially a kingdom. going from duke to king is a gigantic step up in terms of your options and power. if people don't like you, just switch to intrigue and start manufacturing ways to put them in prison. their opinions don't really matter when they're behind bars, as the only plots they can hatch are ones to escape and they can't join factions.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The trick to rapid expansion is to invite people who have claims on titles you want into your court, and then land them (even a barony will do). You can press their claims and since they're landed vassals of yours, the captured title will also be under you, unless it's the same rank as your current title. If you're trying to expand into other titles of the same rank, the thing to do is have multiple various schemes going at once. There's no reason why you can't set up a marriage pact to try to get a claim into your dynasty AND have your chancellor trying to fabricate a claim on it at the same time. You can just take whatever comes up first.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Fun meritocracy hack: heir designation lets you get around the gavelkind restrictions on giving titles to your primary heir! Just designate one of your other large adult sons as your primary, dole out titles to the others as you see fit, and then switch to the real heir (and then give the fake heir some titles too if you want). Now both of my sons are vassal kings and hopefully they'll deal with the opms on the frontier that aren't worth me building threat over.

The next step obviously is to get rid of gavelkind entirely, but that requires converting to feudalism and ehhhh.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The trick to rapid expansion is to invite people who have claims on titles you want into your court, and then land them (even a barony will do). You can press their claims and since they're landed vassals of yours, the captured title will also be under you, unless it's the same rank as your current title. If you're trying to expand into other titles of the same rank, the thing to do is have multiple various schemes going at once. There's no reason why you can't set up a marriage pact to try to get a claim into your dynasty AND have your chancellor trying to fabricate a claim on it at the same time. You can just take whatever comes up first.

For extra fun, after you invite them to your court and before you land them you can force them into a matrilineal marriage with your daughters or other close dynasty members so you get an alliance and their heirs will be of your dynasty.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde

OctaviusBeaver posted:

For extra fun, after you invite them to your court and before you land them you can force them into a matrilineal marriage with your daughters or other close dynasty members so you get an alliance and their heirs will be of your dynasty.

This one i always forget to do! I fight a war for some jackass count I invited and landed in the boondocks, make him king of Asturias or something and now the ungrateful bastard won’t marry the way i want him to. Whatever - one slip up and the vassal king loses an imprisonment war, title revoked, turned into viceroyalty. Problem solved.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Yeah this is extremely satisfying to do.

I've got more news about Miljen, the Child-Crusader who conquered Jerusalem. He's come of age! His levies are still poo poo but he's holding his own thanks to help from the various holy orders. He just won a war against the Emir of Galilee (who's actually one of the Abbasids that still has land despite that dynasty no longer being ascendant). Oddly enough he never called me into the war and I didn't realize it was going on because I was busy kicking the Bulgarians (who're settled Tengri nomads) out of Apulia. But he pulled it off thanks to hiring the Knights Hospitaller, the Knights Templar, and the Knights of Calatrava. If he can hold on he might catch something of a break though. The Rasulid blob that surrounds the tiny Kingdom of Heaven is steadily building up decadence. If King Miljen's lucky, they'll shatter and he'll have easier enemies to contend with.

E: Also my last doge was successful in forging a dynaster, becoming Doge Giovanni the Grand Patriarch. Then he died during the war for Apulia and was quickly declared holy af by a local bishop, so now he's Blessed Giovanni the Grand Patriarch. Hopefully the pope will make him a saint and I can have a second bloodline. The bloodline he made is pretty basic though. It increases dynasty opinion and prestige, but it does have one cool thing: I can use a character decision to meddle in the lives of younger family members to influence them. It can only be used every five years, but I can basically bitch at a family member, tell them they suck, and lean on them to unfuck themselves and fly straighter. :colbert:

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Feb 18, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeah this is extremely satisfying to do.

I've got more news about Miljen, the Child-Crusader who conquered Jerusalem. He's come of age! His levies are still poo poo but he's holding his own thanks to help from the various holy orders. He just won a war against the Emir of Galilee (who's actually one of the Abbasids that still has land despite that dynasty no longer being ascendant). Oddly enough he never called me into the war and I didn't realize it was going on because I was busy kicking the Bulgarians (who're settled Tengri nomads) out of Apulia. But he pulled it off thanks to hiring the Knights Hospitaller, the Knights Templar, and the Knights of Calatrava. If he can hold on he might catch something of a break though. The Rasulid blob that surrounds the tiny Kingdom of Heaven is steadily building up decadence. If King Miljen's lucky, they'll shatter and he'll have easier enemies to contend with.

E: Also my last doge was successful in forging a dynaster, becoming Doge Giovanni the Grand Patriarch. Then he died during the war for Apulia and was quickly declared holy af by a local bishop, so now he's Blessed Giovanni the Grand Patriarch. Hopefully the pope will make him a saint and I can have a second bloodline. The bloodline he made is pretty basic though. It increases dynasty opinion and prestige, but it does have one cool thing: I can use a character decision to meddle in the lives of younger family members to influence them. It can only be used every five years, but I can basically bitch at a family member, tell them they suck, and lean on them to unfuck themselves and fly straighter. :colbert:

I always end up with one of the builder bloodlines somehow. :smithcloud:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The builder bloodlines are the best because they unlock special buildings. The city building gives, among other bonuses, 2+ trade post limit, increased disease resistance and levy reinforcement rate. More trade posts are always good, increasing the anemic levy reinforcement of non-castles is very welcome, and every bit of disease resistance helps. The castle building chain is a bit less valuable, while the temple building chain mostly sucks.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Coolguye posted:

if people don't like you, just switch to intrigue and start manufacturing ways to put them in prison. their opinions don't really matter when they're behind bars

I am still in love with this game for this very reason, and the thousand crazy stories it produces, but these days I find it too clunky and bloated, it's really starting to show its age.

That said, is it worth to pick up holy fury for 15€ or should I wait for a deeper discount?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Torrannor posted:

The builder bloodlines are the best because they unlock special buildings. The city building gives, among other bonuses, 2+ trade post limit, increased disease resistance and levy reinforcement rate. More trade posts are always good, increasing the anemic levy reinforcement of non-castles is very welcome, and every bit of disease resistance helps. The castle building chain is a bit less valuable, while the temple building chain mostly sucks.

drat I hosed up by focusing on my dynasty. I want special buildings! :(

E: would the temple building chain be better with iqta?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Nut to Butt posted:

Has anyone else noticed semi-serious lag when a lot of portraits are on screen? It began with Holy Fury. Dynasty view, plots with lots of participants, peace negotiations with large coalitions- these are a few of the instances where it's very noticeable.

I'm wondering if it's just particular to me/my hardware, or if anyone else has noticed something similar.

It happens here but just right after I start the game. Then it goes away

The only good thing about constantly being jihaded in the holy land is they cough up pretty good money when you beat their rear end and they lose.

E: oh I read that wrong, the only thing you're getting is grief lmao

Really? I fought 4 jihads (2 sunni & 2 shia) and a crusade in my current game and I didint get much after any of them

Is only crusades that have been improved in Holy Fury? Crusades are really quite different now (and stronger) but I didint noticed anything different in any other kind of great holy war, including jihads

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 18, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

drat I hosed up by focusing on my dynasty. I want special buildings! :(

E: would the temple building chain be better with iqta?

No. For the city building chain, you get +20 trade value in total, +6 tax income, +25% tech spread rate, +5% morale of armies, +10% levy reinforcement rate, +2 trade post limit, and +15% disease resistance.

For the temple building chain, you get +4 tax income, and +0.55 piety. That's all.

Technically, piety is more important and useful for Muslim rulers, but practically, you're swimming in the stuff if your character is able to forge a bloodline.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Torrannor posted:

No. For the city building chain, you get +20 trade value in total, +6 tax income, +25% tech spread rate, +5% morale of armies, +10% levy reinforcement rate, +2 trade post limit, and +15% disease resistance.

For the temple building chain, you get +4 tax income, and +0.55 piety. That's all.

Technically, piety is more important and useful for Muslim rulers, but practically, you're swimming in the stuff if your character is able to forge a bloodline.

Laaaaame.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Really? I fought 4 jihads (2 sunni & 2 shia) and a crusade in my current game and I didint get much after any of them

Is only crusades that have been improved in Holy Fury? Crusades are really quite different now (and stronger) but I didint noticed anything different in any other kind of great holy war, including jihads

Most wars have the aggressor pay out cash if they lose. Every jihad against me I've ever defeated always netted me several hundred.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Most wars have the aggressor pay out cash if they lose. Every jihad against me I've ever defeated always netted me several hundred.

Yeah, I did got a few hundreds for each (not several, but I dont remember the values now), but that aint "good money" to me. Specially since jihads and crusades are usually pretty long wars

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It all depends on the wealth of the nations in question. I know I've whipped jihads to the tune of around 600 or so in reparations. Which ain't too bad considering I usually have holy orders and my retinues do most the heavy lifting when it comes to swatting enemy stacks before they come together too hard.

It's certainly not a huge payoff, but it's enough to fund some upgrades or pay for a good chunk of a new castle or something.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TorakFade posted:

I am still in love with this game for this very reason, and the thousand crazy stories it produces, but these days I find it too clunky and bloated, it's really starting to show its age.

That said, is it worth to pick up holy fury for 15€ or should I wait for a deeper discount?

i'd say holy fury is worth it for 15 if for no other reason than the randomized worlds. randomized worlds are great because they knock you out of the entire meta that you've been used to for the past close-to-decade you've probably been playing this game. barcelona is a great duchy to have in the base game so there's an entire meta surrounding getting it for certain starts. well when you randomize holdings and tech it could end up being one of the worst duchies in the game, or more likely it's painfully average. reacting on the fly in a grand strategy game is pretty rare and it's kind of a thrill.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
In case you have too much time on your hands, someone on Reddit had WAY too much time on their hands and mapped every holding in CK2 to the real world counterpart

http://geojson.io/#data=data:text/x...oldings.geojson

https://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/comments/arxjgo/i_mapped_every_single_castle_town_and_temple_in/

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I haven't played CK2 in 4-5 years and the last DLC I have is Way of Life, but I am thinking of picking it up again. Which of the ones since then are worth picking up? I gather Holy Fury is good, and Conclave sounds interesting.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
I just recently learned that you can use favors to force foreigners to join your court, even those of other religions. There are limits, though.

In my current Byzantine Empire game (Alexiad start), I've successfully pressed claims for the kingdoms of Daylam, Syria and Anatolia, allowing me to fight the Turks without Holy Warring and facing a dozen other Sunni realms.

1. Find a male claimant to desired kingdom (or female if the title you want allows female rulers, but in my case it's only males)
2. Bribe/Sway him until he likes you enough to accept you buying his favor (you have to give them money for them to...accept more money from you)
3. Once you have their favor, use it to Invite to your Court. They have to be unmarried, unlanded, not on the council, and not directly related to their liege to accept. For example, I invited a claimant of Syria, but only after I killed the Shah (his elder brother). The new Shah was the claimant's nephew, and that was sufficiently removed to allow him to come to my court.
4. Then, treat like any other claimant (land them, marry them if you want, force conversion, etc.) and press their claim.

I want to try this with a Karen campaign next, because early on your only options for expansion are Holy Wars and it's hard as poo poo. Also, once you're an Empire you can gain entire kingdoms this way and not have to gobble them up one duchy at a time.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Way of Life and Monks & Mystics are good too. I could take or leave India, horse lords, jade dragon.

Pick up reaper's due if you like everyone dying of horrible diseases.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All of the actual expansions are great, especially India, Jade Dragon and The Reaper's Due. The face and music packs are nice, but not must-owns.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I still haven't gotten back into the swing of things. I'm playing in the HRE. How do I manipulate marriages to get claims on other duchies or kingdoms?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

It all depends on the wealth of the nations in question. I know I've whipped jihads to the tune of around 600 or so in reparations. Which ain't too bad considering I usually have holy orders and my retinues do most the heavy lifting when it comes to swatting enemy stacks before they come together too hard.

It's certainly not a huge payoff, but it's enough to fund some upgrades or pay for a good chunk of a new castle or something.

Learning this game as a Merchant Republic sure has twisted my idea of what a reasonable amount of money is.

I look at that number and I'm like "but that's just a couple months' income…"

Speaking of which, I can say with some certainty that the Merchant Republic guide that is the top Google result is wrong. It has the right idea—your fellow patricians are a resource to be mined—but it gets what you are mining them for completely wrong. It has this weird gamey "marry one of your widows to the new family and then kill them off for…(Dr Evil pinkie)…THREE HUNDRED DUCATS" strategy.

But when you get up and running, money should never be your limiting resource and 300 gold is a pittance. I am finding that my main barrier to expansion is the unlanded males. Once you are over the limit, waiting for some more boys to grow into men and hoping that they don't die of various diseases or that their uncles are still alive on is tedious as heck. Plus, unlanded men are the main drains on your coffers. In an abstract world, your ideal financial situation is LOTS of trade posts and NO unlanded men in your court.

Because you are not penalized for going over the limit except that it means you can't build more, the real limiting factor is Trade Post build slots. This is where your other families come in. Every new family comes with several empty slots. They might fill one or two of them through plots/trade wars (which is net zero slots for the Republic), but if you give them a landed title out towards the edge of the trade empire, they'll tend to build new posts nearby.

So I've settled into a nice farming strategy. When a new family comes up, I immediately give them a barony out in the boonies. I wait until they have build up to the trade post limit. Once everyone in the Republic is at or past the limit (so we can't build more) I look to the families with the most trade posts. By this point that's 8-12. Generally speaking, they are ripe for elimination, with only an heir or two. I've probably discovered some plot to take a trade post or similar. I imprison them and either they go quietly, or they raise an ineffectual rebellion. And then they go to jail. Now that they are in jail, I look to their heirs and kill those. Once that bloody work is done, I execute the guilty. Everyone else gets 2-3 new posts including me. The next in line which had like 6 or 7 posts now climbs to 8. A new family appears to whom I grant the recently abandoned land (or, if we've expanded our holdings, some new edge of empire). They build some post and the cycle continues. It's a system that gives Venice 4 new posts every cycle (and me 2-3). Eventually, those posts will make it to my holdings and contested trade zones will be consolidated.

Since the game spawns new families with very few relatives, they tend to be very fragile. Sometimes, disease does the work for me. Since they are trying to get ahead, they tend to launch hilariously low % plots, which makes them very arrestable. I'll often detect a plot and let it run for a few years until they are ripe and ready for harvest. This has proven so efficient that I am beginning to consider matrilineally marrying off my unlanded males; keeping a few for breeding and as back-up heirs.

I'm continuing the game to see how this plays out and to try out different content (I'm biding my time to take Alexandria so I can experience the Jade Dragon content) but I kind of regret finding this way of working. I really like the idea of a bunch of merchant families constantly struggling for dominance, switching up who is in charge, while as a group being weak enough that neighbours regularly burn down your posts, which is clearly the way Merchant Republics were meant to be played. Instead, my Venice has me with way more posts than everyone else and a retinue that enables me to take on Byzantium without raising additional levees (in this game, Venice took Crete and Constantinople well before 1066, soloing the Fourth Crusade years before the actual First).

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Oh yeah for sure it's absolute chump change to a merchant republic. But then as a MR I don't really do much holding onto Jerusalem and the like so it's not often I run up against jihads that way.

As for killing off patricians I usually do it when they've got four trade posts. At that point you'll get one of them and they should still be few enough that you don't have to murder a shitload of people to do it, especially if you've been pruning them down to lock down the election anyway.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Managed to get myself into a tight spot thanks to some rather harsh RNG.
One of my rulers had a bunch of sons, including a Quick first-born and then some forgettable ones after that. The second son asked to go off and join the Varangians - but only after he'd had two sons of his own - so I agreed; the fourth asked to join a holy order and I agreed with that as well. Then the first son died, and the third. The fourth was out of the inheritance race, leaving the second guy... who returned from Byzantium having made a vow of celibacy.

Still not a big problem yet - his two sons would make good rulers and each had already had a son. Except both sons and two grandsons then also died, to a combination of Slow Fever and assassination, leaving a moderately rubbish child as an heir and a celibate, dickless (a cure for something), stressed, possessed Kinslayer on the throne - hated by basically everyone.

Still, though, nothing immediately problematic. So I went to war with some nomads to get control of Novgorod only for my ruler to kick the bucket and an 11-year old to take the throne. Despised by everyone because his grandfather was such an rear end in a top hat and suddenly unable to get rid of my new holdings in Novgorod because - despite having full Council Control - it would be going against their wishes to award the holdings to someone else.

So now I've got two factions hovering around 100%, my personal levies in the toilet thanks to Demesne Size penalties and not quite enough money to get any mercs in case of war.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
Well my idiot husband got killed in battle, and shortly after one of my sons died of depression at 14. My other son is married now, at least, and my daughters were married into nice families. I couldn't get any of them into matrilineal marriage though.

But nobody is willing to get into a matrilineal marriage with my current ruler except courtier scrubs. She is 48 now so it's not as if I'm likely to have many more kids unless I do some seduction.

That said, I'm slowly consolidating Ireland. I think with a couple more counties, I'll have enough to start subjugation with a "become ruler of Ireland" focus.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Keep in mind that the become king ambition only allows free use of subjugation wars for tribal pagans.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Node posted:

I still haven't gotten back into the swing of things. I'm playing in the HRE. How do I manipulate marriages to get claims on other duchies or kingdoms?

Make sure that you're marrying people with strong, inheritable claims.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Node posted:

1. Find someone with a claim you want. If female, marry them normally. If male, marry them matrilineally so the offspring are of your dynasty. If they're already married, kill the spouse first.
2. Claims will pass to kids when the parent dies. So, either wait for them to die or speed things along yourself. Now, the kid/kids will have the claim and you can push their claim or kill everyone ahead of them in the line of succession.

Something else you can do is marry someone who has or will have a claim, get them to inherit the title you want and then wait for their child to inherit. For example, if I'm King of England and I want to absorb France (which you can't do by pressing someone else's claim for the kingdom since it's an equal level), marry a princess who has a claim and then either press her claim, or get her to inherit the title by killing everyone ahead of her in the line of succession. Then, your child with her will become the next heir and will inherit both kingdoms.

But be careful; strong claims will pass to direct heirs but not all weak claims will. Some will only pass if the claim is pressed in war.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Disillusionist posted:

But be careful; strong claims will pass to direct heirs but not all weak claims will. Some will only pass if the claim is pressed in war.

I don't think this is always true! Strong claims can be non-heritable iirc. You have to check each claim to make sure.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Goon Danton posted:

I don't think this is always true! Strong claims can be non-heritable iirc. You have to check each claim to make sure.

poo poo, you're right. I forgot that Fabricated claims are strong but aren't heritable. According to the wiki, neither are claims given by the Pope or claims held by a viceroy that gains independence (not that that ever happens).

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

oh gently caress, HIP got updated for Holy Fury.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Ultimogeniture seems neat, but it screws with some things.

After I formed Switzerland, I had the bright idea to marry the son of the duchess of both Provence and Tuscany, so I could acquire about half of Italy all in one go and be ready to invade Rome once I found a way to go Fraticelli. Tuscany/Provence had a war to become independent of the HRE, but it didn't change much. Somehow my husband became King of Croatia in the process, which just sweetened the pot. So I had Croatia, Provence, and Tuscany (along with a bunch more of Italy like Spoleto. Tuscany is huge in most starts) all ready to inherit, and I was working on expanding on my own as well. Got the pope to give me a claim on Lombardy, forged a claim on Tirol, conquered them all. Things were all looking great. I got to the point where I was ready to get rid of Gavelkind, and my first son's stats were kinda lovely, so I decided to go for Ultimogeniture.

That broke everything, since Tuscany/Provence/Croatia were Primogeniture. They all went to the first son. I kept playing, and eventually son #2 winds up not having any kids, so when he died, the kingdom went to son #1's son. I thought it'd all work out in the end, but before dear old dad kicks the bucket, he gets himself overthrown so all I get are a bunch of weak claims. Jerk also kept dragging me into hellwars against Pisa's doomstacks too.

And to make everything worse, somehow Orthodoxy has managed to entrench itself, so I can't get my chaplain to come up with a heresy because everybody's a secret Orthodox instead.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Skypie posted:

Well my idiot husband got killed in battle, and shortly after one of my sons died of depression at 14. My other son is married now, at least, and my daughters were married into nice families. I couldn't get any of them into matrilineal marriage though.

But nobody is willing to get into a matrilineal marriage with my current ruler except courtier scrubs. She is 48 now so it's not as if I'm likely to have many more kids unless I do some seduction.

That said, I'm slowly consolidating Ireland. I think with a couple more counties, I'll have enough to start subjugation with a "become ruler of Ireland" focus.

I think it's impossible to become pregnant past 45 years of age, and very unlikely past 40 years of age. And once a woman is older than 45, it's near impossible to get marriages to anybody of value. The game logic is basically "men can become fathers even if they're 70, why would they marry an infertile wife?".

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Torrannor posted:

I think it's impossible to become pregnant past 45 years of age, and very unlikely past 40 years of age. And once a woman is older than 45, it's near impossible to get marriages to anybody of value. The game logic is basically "men can become fathers even if they're 70, why would they marry an infertile wife?".

That's correct. 45 is a hard cutoff for women:

code:
	MAX_CHILD_BIRTH_AGE = 45,						-- Female menopause age.
	FEMALE_ATTRACTION_CUTOFF = 45,					-- After this age, the sex appeal of traits no longer have any effect
At 45 women are both unable to have children, and also lose any sort of positive opinion modifiers from traits like Attractive.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I dont usually get that much but even that is not that great either.

Yesterday I had to defend the 3rd Sunni jihad for Arabia. I though "well, this time is gonna be quick" since Ive pretty much destroyed the Sunni, who are now down to Abyssinia, Hispania and a few scattered lands. Nope: still they managed to produce a good bunch of10K, 8K, 5K stacks. Nothing I cant handle easily, of course. But still, since Arabia is huge and they come in waves, it means a long war, 2-3 years chasing them around. I got around 450G for it, which is much less than what it costed to recover my retinues back to 17K after the war

Also, for the first time I saw a crusade for Byz. I though it was just gonna to steal some land from it: instead it created a Latin Empire in Thrace, which caused all the byz empire vassals to become independent. The empire still exists, though, now with the name of the dynasty, but with no vassals. I made my life a lot easier, since I was just about to start taking them

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Iunno I don't really sneeze at a few hundred when I'm some feudal king pulling in only like 30 a month. Especially if I can handle it without raising my own levies.

I'm not saying it's some kind of strategy. I'm saying it's literally the only good bit about getting jihaded to hell in the holy land, at least you get some scratch when you win.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 19, 2019