Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Basically its only stuff that's been officially released as stand alone packs, not ships that you can only play if you had them from 1st ed. and the convertion kit because they haven't had their 2nd ed. version released as a pack yet. Like, wave 1-4 2nd ed stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Except the rebel falcon

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Except the rebel falcon

And the Striker, until wave 3 drops.

It's an arbitrary selection of boring ships with really limited list building opportunities and minimal interesting in-play abilities.

It's bullshit garbage and it's SO BORING.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I've played a few games and tournaments of it lately and its actually refreshing to a degree, because you can fly ships that would instantly get wrecked in extended format (where FFG is kind of bad at balancing). I was able to take Iden/Howlrunner/Seyn/and Gideon with Dutchess and get 4th place at an events this weekend and all the lists actually felt more varied than in extended because you didn't have 6 assholes flying the lists that have 'solved' the meta. Did have one knob-job doing the 3 Upsilon list, but he got like 8th or 10th or something so all is good.

Also, lol at Strikers being 'boring'

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

And the Striker, until wave 3 drops.

It's an arbitrary selection of boring ships with really limited list building opportunities and minimal interesting in-play abilities.

It's bullshit garbage and it's SO BORING.

I was really down on Hyperspace the first few weeks. Our local group had switched over, but most of the ships I loved most were not allowed. I was sad.

I've come around. Once I got into it, I've found that Hyperspace has a LOT more variance in viable lists. There are far fewer super-optimal combos and thus, almost anything can hit the table and do well. Compare that to Extended format, which has a pretty hefty list-building requirement. You must build an optimized list to do well. Things were optimized to the point that people were taking 10-15 point bids just to ensure they got that move-last edge on their aces.

Hyperspace still rewards good listbuilding, of course, but there aren't many ways to listbuild your way to victory. Triple Upsilons are the only one I can think of, and they're the kind of thing a good player will only lose to once.

Every Extended event I've gone to had the same handful of lists with minor variations (at most). The players who didn't bring those lists got trounced.

That's not the same in Hyperspace. Someone can bring (almost) whatever they want, within the bounds of the rules, and potentially do well. I've seen the return of swarms (of assorted stripes). One of our best players is tearing it up with Han Yolo and 2 A-Wings. The i5 bidding war has died down to a reasonable level.

Plus the draw for new players can't be denied. Hyperspace means that someone who just got in can still play. That's huge for the community and life of the game.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yup, I'm definitely with ConfusedUs. Extended is boring to play because you know ahead of time exactly which 3-4 lists are going to dominate the upper tables. Hyperspace has closed that gap tremendously, and has the added benefit of letting new players actually compete instead of leaving the hobby if they want to be competitive.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I was really down on Hyperspace the first few weeks. Our local group had switched over, but most of the ships I loved most were not allowed. I was sad.

I've come around. Once I got into it, I've found that Hyperspace has a LOT more variance in viable lists. There are far fewer super-optimal combos and thus, almost anything can hit the table and do well. Compare that to Extended format, which has a pretty hefty list-building requirement. You must build an optimized list to do well. Things were optimized to the point that people were taking 10-15 point bids just to ensure they got that move-last edge on their aces.

Hyperspace still rewards good listbuilding, of course, but there aren't many ways to listbuild your way to victory. Triple Upsilons are the only one I can think of, and they're the kind of thing a good player will only lose to once.

Every Extended event I've gone to had the same handful of lists with minor variations (at most). The players who didn't bring those lists got trounced.

That's not the same in Hyperspace. Someone can bring (almost) whatever they want, within the bounds of the rules, and potentially do well. I've seen the return of swarms (of assorted stripes). One of our best players is tearing it up with Han Yolo and 2 A-Wings. The i5 bidding war has died down to a reasonable level.

Plus the draw for new players can't be denied. Hyperspace means that someone who just got in can still play. That's huge for the community and life of the game.

The list building is the worst part. I cannot find something I'm interested in flying in the two factions I retained, and i'm not interested in buying into any new factions until Rep/CIS.

The new player access argument is bullshit though. It's just as easy to buy into Hyperspace as Extended. You can buy a viable Extended list by buying three ships. They can even be 2E ships. 3 T70s is perfectly viable in both formats.

It's difficult to buy a complete set, but then, it's difficult to do that in Hyperspace too, you still have to get your hands on 1e plastic and conversion kits for every current faction except Scum and Rebels.

It's bullshit garbage. And honestly at this point I'm much too invested in it being bullshit garbage to be persuaded otherwise even when I end up running hyperspace by default because JEDI INTERCEPTORS

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

thespaceinvader posted:

It's bullshit garbage. And honestly at this point I'm much too invested in it being bullshit garbage to be persuaded otherwise

Yikes.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I know. I'm really on a bit of a mad when it comes to Hyperspace.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I dislike Hyperspace because I can't fly Ints

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

The new player access argument is bullshit though. It's just as easy to buy into Hyperspace as Extended. You can buy a viable Extended list by buying three ships. They can even be 2E ships. 3 T70s is perfectly viable in both formats.

It's difficult to buy a complete set, but then, it's difficult to do that in Hyperspace too, you still have to get your hands on 1e plastic and conversion kits for every current faction except Scum and Rebels.

You're conflating "ease of a complete and total collection" with "ease of putting together a viable list"

Yes, there are ships that are a part of Hyperspace that aren't available for sale yet. Yes, those are a pain to get without buying a conversion kit.

But they're not required, at all, in order to build a viable Hyperspace list. As a single example: a new player could pick up a core, a T-65, and a Y-Wing and have a Wedge/Thane/Dutch list that's pretty drat solid. That same list is trash in extended.

Triple T70s (or 2x T70/2x A-Wing) is likewise possible without the conversion kit, and I think those are some of the best lists in the format.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wedge Thane Dutch is fine in extended tho. Similarly, 5 Y wings is good in both.

And trip T70s similarly.

They are equally easy for a new player to get into, and arguing otherwise is completely disingenuous.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I don't limit myself to just liking like 2 or 3 ships in the entire loving game and limiting myself play-style wise, and really enjoy playing like 90% of the ships available since the start of the game, so I still enjoy playing with toy space ships in Hyperspace.

Like, yeah, I can;t play Starvipers or YV-666's in Hyperspace, but that doesn't mean the game or format is garbage; there are OTHER ships to be flown.

thespaceinvader posted:

It's bullshit garbage. And honestly at this point I'm much too invested in it being bullshit garbage to be persuaded otherwise

....oh. nevermind.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

enigmahfc posted:

I don't limit myself to just liking like 2 or 3 ships in the entire loving game and limiting myself play-style wise, and really enjoy playing like 90% of the ships available since the start of the game, so I still enjoy playing with toy space ships in Hyperspace.

Like, yeah, I can;t play Starvipers or YV-666's in Hyperspace, but that doesn't mean the game or format is garbage; there are OTHER ships to be flown.

Yeah but they're ugly :mad:

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I hate hyperspace because I can't fly Whisper, my favorite pilot/ship since I stayed playing the game. But on the upside, I never have to fly against Whisper so I'll stick with HS.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

That's just my problem though, there aren't. There are four per faction.

Of which, just from my perspective I own, with a bit of analysis:

TIE/x1: 1. Maarek is OK, Vader is OK, neither is particularly *good*, and the rest are low init ships that are reliant on locks to work without any of the tricks to get them extra actions to get locks.
TIE/ln: 8. Swarms are fine, and about the only vaguely interesting thing I can do in Hyperspace, but they for some reason left TSim protons in, which means classical swarm play is super risky to being crushed at list building, and if you're forced to split your swarm to avoid the bombs, you're going to struggle to put out enough damage to deal with whatever wingmates it has. Not to mention that Luke is close to unkillable for TIEs unless you get inordinately lucky.
TIE/re: 1. It's a support crew carrier with almost no useful support crew available. Woo?
TIE/SK: 3. The most interesting ship I have in the format. But with only 3, swarming isn't possible, and they're colossally vulnerable to variance spikes and being out PSed/outbid.

Fang: 2. Maybe I'm just bad with them but I tend to find they just explode to massive variance spikes. Big attacks have not got much smaller or much less relevant but their defences have got a LOT worse.
Firespray: 1. It's pretty solid I guess? I should probably fly it more.
MGT: 1. OK in swarms, Seevor is OK, but again, subject to enormous variance based risk.
Scum Falcon: 1. I like it well enough, but to really make it pay takes your opponent letting you get those obstructed shots, and good luck with that.

I don't own any of the other three factions any more, nor do I plan to. If it weren't for Jedi coming down the line soon, I might buy back into Resistance just via single expacs - you can do interesting things with two T70s and two RZ2s and/or with 3 T70s - but I can only afford to buy into one new faction at the moment, and there are two coming I want, so buying into another is well out of the question unless money gets less tight.

In short, I'm just not interested in playing any of the thigns, and even if I were, they're almost all just SO likely to get rekt by dice spikes that I wouldn't be satisfied playing them even if I was.

It seems to have been designed to have onyl the most dull and mediocre ships and upgrades in it and just be as bland and insipid as possible, except for the occasional hyper-powerful trap list/combo like tripsilons or TSim bombs.

IDK i'm just super salty, I've not even got into the half a dozen purely selfish reasons that i dislike it as a format.

I don't have a particular problem with a limited rotation as a concept, but this one just happens to be the perfect storm of 'poo poo I don't like' and 'not enough stuff at all'.

I should stop.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I ran Vader mini-swarm last week and it was kind of fun. It reminded me of running ace miniswarm ages ago. The x1 is decent if you run Vader/Maarek, but that’s not much different from what it was like in the old version. I’m kind of glad that hyperspace is available because it gives me a lot of nostalgia for when I got started.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I flew Maarek/miniswarm in hyperspace the other week and found that it was fine until it ran up against an ion Y swarm and got dunked on. ANd even with initiatives of 4 and 5 on all ships, I was repeatedly the lowest init player and outbid for initiative in crucial ways.

But sure, you can't lose hyperspace at listbuilding.

But even if it hadn't 'fine' isn't what I'm interested in.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'd say there's a really good chance that Hyperspace:

* is going to be the primary competitive format for the foreseeable future
* will always be a restricted format where the allowed stuff changes over time
* will hit an equilibrium around wave 5 (2-3 waves of new stuff for the new factions)

In other words, I predict that Hyperspace will NEVER be the same as Extended. There will never be a point where every ship and upgrade (or even a majority) is Hyperspace legal. There will come a point where they'll start dropping things out of the format when they add new stuff.

Also, viable Hyperspace lists for each faction are...pretty much whatever ships you put together. Imps are swarmy (or ace + miniswarm) where the swarming ship is TIEs or Strikers. Rebels are tanky jousters. Resistance are mostly ace-focused, with 2-4 aces per list. First Order is a weird mix of alpha strike and aces. Scum runs on efficiency lists.

The big hurdle for me (and it sounds like for you, also) is that Imperials are not the ace faction in Hyperspace.

However, Resistance fits that role pretty well.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

thespaceinvader posted:

I should stop.

You appear to be upset that you can't build a list that doesn't care about dice rolling any more. This is a feature, not a bug. Lists that basically ignore dice variance and just get all hits/evades aren't healthy for the game, and honestly, if that's that kind of thing you want to fly I don't think you're ever going to be happy with 2e. They very intentionally don't want to go back to that.

The closest thing to that there is currently would probably be a Boba Fett list, which you could easily run.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
I exclusively play with friends, so we always play Extended and have never had so much as a conversation about Hyperspace.

However, I'm picking something up at a game store on what happens to be their "Casual X-Wing Wednesday." I thought I'd bring a fun squad just to toss down if anyone is looking for a match, but the conversation in this thread is making me wonder if I should build a new Hyperspace squad instead of the Extended list I've been using.

In people's experience, does anyone actually expect Hyperspace lists in casual game-store matchups?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
It's pretty reasonable for a Scum player to hate Hyperspace.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I'd say there's a really good chance that Hyperspace:

* is going to be the primary competitive format for the foreseeable future
* will always be a restricted format where the allowed stuff changes over time
* will hit an equilibrium around wave 5 (2-3 waves of new stuff for the new factions)

In other words, I predict that Hyperspace will NEVER be the same as Extended. There will never be a point where every ship and upgrade (or even a majority) is Hyperspace legal. There will come a point where they'll start dropping things out of the format when they add new stuff.

Also, viable Hyperspace lists for each faction are...pretty much whatever ships you put together. Imps are swarmy (or ace + miniswarm) where the swarming ship is TIEs or Strikers. Rebels are tanky jousters. Resistance are mostly ace-focused, with 2-4 aces per list. First Order is a weird mix of alpha strike and aces. Scum runs on efficiency lists.

The big hurdle for me (and it sounds like for you, also) is that Imperials are not the ace faction in Hyperspace.

However, Resistance fits that role pretty well.

Yeah when I look at Hyperspace I assume it will be a rotating list of ships allowed per faction in order to ensure variety and a constantly shifting meta for tournaments. Other factions just need more ships to let it happen.

When the gently caress does CIS release I want my goddamn droids. :mad:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

BuffaloChicken posted:

I exclusively play with friends, so we always play Extended and have never had so much as a conversation about Hyperspace.

However, I'm picking something up at a game store on what happens to be their "Casual X-Wing Wednesday." I thought I'd bring a fun squad just to toss down if anyone is looking for a match, but the conversation in this thread is making me wonder if I should build a new Hyperspace squad instead of the Extended list I've been using.

In people's experience, does anyone actually expect Hyperspace lists in casual game-store matchups?

I usually have like 2 or 3 lists I want to fly when I go to a game night (I hate carrying all my poo poo...get's heavy), and its always at least 1 hyperspace and 1 extended. If I do 3 lists, the 3rd is whatever I felt like bringing, or something I want to try out for a local tournament or something. Some people like to practice their hyperspace lists (gotta get you're reps in, bro uugghh), and some people just want to play with plastic ships. I just like to be prepared, because I seriously just like playing, no matter what the format.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Gate posted:

You appear to be upset that you can't build a list that doesn't care about dice rolling any more. This is a feature, not a bug. Lists that basically ignore dice variance and just get all hits/evades aren't healthy for the game, and honestly, if that's that kind of thing you want to fly I don't think you're ever going to be happy with 2e. They very intentionally don't want to go back to that.

The closest thing to that there is currently would probably be a Boba Fett list, which you could easily run.

If you really want the full story...

- I don't like that a whole bunch of stuff I've practiced and got good with is not usable.
- I don't like that a whole bunch of stuff i enjoy flying is not usable.
- I don't like that the majority of both factions I currently fly have massive issues with variance given that they generally get one focus to go around between attack and defence, and often have no shields, where Rebels and Resistance have multiple ways each of getting focus/lock on the same ship.
- I don't like that I put a bunch of effort into painting and modifying the ships I enjoy and have practiced a bunch and don't have quite such horrible variance issues, that are unusable in Hyperspace.
- I don't like that there's nothing hidden, for want of a better word. One of my favourite things to do in 1e, and in 2e, is find a relatively obscure, but relatively decent or little-used, pilot, and git gud with them. Sunny Bounder was a classic example in the late stages of 1e. That just isn't there in Hyperspace, there's so little to build with, that everything is going to be used and nothing is going to be ignored unless it's actually poo poo.
- I don't like that list building feels like scrabbling around for the least worst options, as opposed to having actual good options. Especially he aforementioned 'give the Imperials a ship that's close to a dedicated crew carrier and gently caress-all good crew for it.
- I don't like that there are so few ships and so few archetypes available to each faction.
- I don't like that the factions I've ended up with don't really fit my playstyle.
- I don't like that they released a bunch of very cool prizes for the System Open prize walls (in particular, that lovely see-through plastic Guri)... most of which aren't legal to use at the tournament you win them in (unless you make day 2 of the SO you'll be flying in a Hyperspace side event), and won't be legal to use again outside the FLGS until this time next year and gently caress knows what things look like by then.
- It feels like there will be very limited variety in what I face. But then, I've not done any big events in either format and am kind of out of touch with the meta, and I mostly formed this opinion when protorps were still too cheap, so I'm probably wrong about variety.
- I don't like variance. Yes, I genuinely think X Wing could use less of it. I'd quite like it if evasion was in some way deterministic, as for instance in RuneWars, and if the game had some system where blanks had other symbols which did different things, like Surges in RuneWars/ImpAss/Descent. This was exemplified in 1e by Soontir - even when you caught him in a perfect range 1 killbox, you had to roll perfect AND he had to roll as bad as possible, and there was still a decent chance he didn;t die unless you were packing Crack Shot, HotShot, etc. In 2e it's... also exemplified by Soontir, curiously enough, because he's a quarter plus of your list, and he's about equally likely to explode in round 1 at range 3. I've all too frequently had that happen with Fangs, they just die. All the skill in the world doesn't prevent every ship getting shot ever, and when things are prone to spikes of bad luck just making them die, the game becomes less about who's best at flying and more about who;s luckiest. And I hate that. And with the exception of the Firespray, basically none of the ships I have for Hyperspace have any ability to lower variance significantly available to them. WHereas Rebels and Resistance do. Maybe Han/Boba is my best available option. You can say 'doesn't care about dice rolling' if you want, and yeah that's pretty legit. But it's unevenly applied; some factions are pretty stuck, some have good access to 'don't care about dice', both from defensive fortressing and from offensive double modding. LIke... Resistance can get Poe, Nien and Ello, of which two out of three can get double mods in the right situations, and one can do it very reliably, and Imperials can get... Vader Maarek and Howl? Maybe? And Scum can get Boba and Fenn? Except Fenn is a variance magnet unless you get range 1, and a canny player will not let you get range 1 on all of his ships. I could probably keep going on this point. If they didn't want to go back to being able to just roll all hits and all evades, they wouldn't have put Luke in Hyperspace, who packs by far the most easily accessible reliable offence and defence into a single ship, in the entire game. Move, take lock, and you have double mods on offence and a decent set of mods on defence. Congrats. As compared to Vader, who quickly runs out of Force without Hate, and has less HP and more green dice, so more variance and less reliability.

I'm genuinely not sure what the biggest of those concerns is (though based on the amount of typing, it's probably variance), and I'm aware that a lot of them are very personal to me, and not particularly rational. But I can't see past them. I kind of wish I could, because they lead to me probably being sidelined from competitive play for like half the year and all but half of one major official tournament. And what little I do like (it's x-wing, which is a generally decent game, and obviously, it's Star Wars), I like more in extended, where much fewer of these issues are prevalent.

In short, I like x-wing in spite of it being a dice game, not because of it.

And honestly, I'm at least partly just trying to justify not going to Regionals, because I can't really afford to.

I usually just pack a single faction with me, and if someone REALLY wants to play Hyperspace then I can make a list I guess? But it'll probably be lovely? Because I won't have thought about or practiced it?

Until the Republic and CIS come out, at least, because presumably everything for them in W3 will be hyperspace legal more or less, and I'll probably be flying them a lot, because the Aethersprite is one of the ships I've been wanting to play since I started, so I'll be hyperspace more or less by default at that stage and maybe I'll just stop caring?

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 18, 2019

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

All the skill in the world doesn't prevent every ship getting shot ever, and when things are prone to spikes of bad luck just making them die, the game becomes less about who's best at flying and more about who;s luckiest

Imperial is the Dice Variance faction. Low health, high agility makes for high risk, high reward play.

Towards the end of first edition we saw that variance go away, and it was pretty bad for the game. Palpatine and Autothrusters made Soontir invincible. There were other ships that were basically invincible, too, and they were equally problematic. Attacks had to creep upwards or otherwise bypass those defenses.

In second edition, that certainty is gone. And the game is better for it, overall.

I would really suggest you try playing some triple T-70s, or at least Poe + Nien + something. Proxy them, borrow them, whatever. They fly a LOT like the imperial aces you so lament, but they have enough health they don't die if you sneeze on them. You won't be losing them to stray potshots. You'll only lose one if you repeatedly make mistakes or if you make a really big mistake.

The only thing I don't like about T-70s is that, well, they're ugly. I have a huge hardon for the Imperial aesthetic in general. I've always loved the look of the Empire and hated the look of the Rebels.

All that said:

I don't like variance. Yes, I genuinely think X Wing could use less of it. I'd quite like it if evasion was in some way deterministic, as for instance in RuneWars, and if the game had some system where blanks had other symbols which did different things, like Surges in RuneWars/ImpAss/Descent.

That's a sentiment I can get behind. I think the biggest missed opportunity in second edition was sticking to the same dice and associated damage model. If nothing else, I really wish they had divorced Accuracy from Damage.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Also, speaking of variance, this is a really good article that sums up how I think about the subject.

http://www.backtodials.com/dont-get-diced/

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I'm very tempted to borrow some T70s and honestly kind of pissed that I gave away the old ones. I had two, but I sold them to a friend when 2e came out along with the rest of my Rebel stuff.

I'll see about some lists to try on Vassal maybe. E: but doing so doesn't obviate the fact that I'd prefer to build those lists in Extended and fly them against opponents in Extended.

And yeah, the single biggest disappointment I had with the change to 2e was that they didn't kill green dice with fire, and they didn't put in different attack dice for different accuracy profiles.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 18, 2019

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

holy poo poo...

That's...uh...yeah.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
This thread is no longer s-tier. Will not play.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I love flying ARCs, which means I do not love playing hyperspace.

However, once the Galactic Republic drops I will love hyperspace.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Floppychop posted:

I love flying ARCs

https://raithos.github.io/?f=Rebel%...20Squadron&obs=

This list is mean as hell. Nora and Dutch should focus. Fenn should coordinate a lock action to Dutch, which lets him also give a lock to Nora. Now you've two fully-modded torpedo shots. Use Swarm Tactics to make Dutch shoot at i6, so you're getting shots at 6/6/5. Leia lets you turn around and still do this after the joust. Double selfless keeps Fenn alive, and Nora can regen a shield every time a round ends when she doesn't have one.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Im kinda in agreement with what spaceinvader is saying. The notion that hyperspace is more balanced because there's less ships in it isnt really that sound. Especially when those ships will rotate in and out at will. It just means whenever a broken list is found you have less counter play against it. When the counter to X is Y and Y rotates out but X doesnt then have fun with that meta for 6 months.

Also its not really all that cheaper for new players. If you plan on buying a single faction it saves you $40 throughout the life of the game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

enigmahfc posted:

holy poo poo...

That's...uh...yeah.

It's almost like I spent a lot of time thinking about it and worked out that no, I still don't like it. You can just assume that it's all nonsense if you want (as 'wall of text' makes me expect you did), or you could read and engage with it. I really don't care either way. As I said, most of it's personal and selfish, and I'm aware of and acknowledge that, so it may not be worth your time.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Im kinda in agreement with what spaceinvader is saying. The notion that hyperspace is more balanced because there's less ships in it isnt really that sound. Especially when those ships will rotate in and out at will. It just means whenever a broken list is found you have less counter play against it. When the counter to X is Y and Y rotates out but X doesnt then have fun with that meta for 6 months.

Also its not really all that cheaper for new players. If you plan on buying a single faction it saves you $40 throughout the life of the game.

The 'new players' argument is the one that most bugs me, and the one that causes me to actually engage. It is no lower or higher of a barrier to entry than any other play mode. You still need a core set for either play mode (unless you change from 1e, but at that point, I don't count you as a new player, because... you're not, you're a converting player), and then, you need to buy a bunch of ships, and you still need to learn a bunch of mechanics. Whether it's three 2e ships, or three 1e ships and a conversion kit, you're still dropping probably £100+ to buy into the game, and that's not cheap, and not easy to work out where you want to be. It's inherently an expensive luxury to get into, regardless of whether you get into the limited play more or the unlimited play mode. Extended has more mechanics to learn if you want to know everything you might come up against, is about the only barrier-to-entry difference.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Is it that much cheaper to get 1e ships that it offsets the cost of the conversion pack? Apart from someone bulk-selling their 1e ships, of course. By the by, anyone in the UK interested in buying Rebel, Resistance, Scum or First Order ships (just the model) for cheap? :v:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Is it that much cheaper to get 1e ships that it offsets the cost of the conversion pack? Apart from someone bulk-selling their 1e ships, of course. By the by, anyone in the UK interested in buying Rebel, Resistance, Scum or First Order ships (just the model) for cheap? :v:

The RRP for small blisters went up quite a lot when 2e came out. A small base ship was £14, and is now £20 RRP I think. But like, who uses RRP, it's 11.50/16 respectively at my FLGS. It's not a huge difference and obviously it gets less if you were buying medium or large bases (especially if you were buying large bases which are now medium and as a result moved down to a blister, like the Firespray), but either way, it's more expensive to buy 2e, versus buying 1e. There will be a break-even amount because the conversion kits are fixed costs, and exactly what it is depends on what you're buying. And that's not taking into account that a LOT of places are having sales to clear their 1e stock.

But also, if you want to get all the Hyperspace content, you have to buy conversion kits anyway, because the Rebel Falcon, Resistance Falcon, Resistance Bomber, Upsilon, /SF, Silencer, TIE Reaper*, and TIE Striker don't yet have proper 2e versions. *The Reaper has 2e content in its kit, but that kit is not being printed at the moment, and they were supposed to be re-issuing a fixed 2e version without all the typos and mid-development artwork, which hasn't shown yet.

So, you still have to get conversion kits for 4 out of 5 factions unless you only want to play half the ships, and if you want all the upgrades, so the barrier to entry is still pretty high. Scum s the only faction that can get away without every buying a conversion kit if they want access to all the hyperspace ships, for now.

E: and this is what makes me question whether there will be a rotation in Hyperspace in the foreseeable future. Until they actually release novel content for the FO and Resistance (maybe December if EpIX delivers some new ships, or earlier if they publish some stuff from Resistance), and finish publishing all the current Hyperspace stuff in 2e, I doubt they're goignt o do a rotation, because part of the point is to get people to buy the 2e content.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 19, 2019

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
We have a local player that just started playing about a month ago. He wanted to go with Rebels so he bought a starter set and Saws renegades and has been doing pretty well with just that. He runs Magva in a Uwing with 2 other X-wings.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Thought: are any of the saws renegade pilots good? You guys know me and jank and t65s.

I mean I never see a t65 that isn't wedge luke or thane(or at BoY Garven)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Thought: are any of the saws renegade pilots good? You guys know me and jank and t65s.

I mean I never see a t65 that isn't wedge luke or thane(or at BoY Garven)

They're fine, and they're action efficiency engines in some cases, but the problem with them is that Wedge Luke and Thane are both better AND higher init, and that the others aren't cheaper enough that you can get four of them in the same list and have them be good enough to make up for the worse pilots and lower inits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
So a 'rules clarification' document has been released for this weekend's System Open in Toronto, and this one caught my eye:

quote:

Q: Poe Dameron with Black One and Pattern Analyzer.

Poe does a 3 straight maneuver. Can he use Black One to SLAM a Talon Roll, then use Pattern Analyzer to perform a Target Lock and use Poe's ability off the Pattern Analyzer action to then perform a red focus action? Basically, can he perform a total of 3 actions in this circumstance or only 2?

A: No, you cannot perform actions while stressed. As the Talon roll is a manouver you are assigned the stress while performing it. Though Pattern analyzer allows you to do 1 action that may be linked at the end of the maneuver you will be stressed and unable to perform actions beyond what is allowed by Pattern Analyzer.
Is it just me, or is this flat out wrong?

Step 1: Do a white three maneuver. Fine.
Step 2: Invoke Black One to SLAM. SLAM states 'perform a maneuver.'
Step 3: Do a red talon roll.
Step 4: Invoke Pattern Analyzer because, contrary to what they say above, "you are assigned the stress while performing it," you're not. You're assigned the stress in the 'check stress' step.
Step 5: Perform the action Pattern Analyzer gives you, lets say a focus.
Step 6: Use Poe's ability to then perform a second red action, gaining a stress. Lets say this is a target lock.
Step 7: You now hit the 'check stress' part of your red talon roll maneuver. You gain a stress for having done a red maneuver.

So, at the end of the activation phase, you've burned your B1 charge, performed three actions, and gained two stress.