Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

Yeah isn't one of their goto defenses based around "derivative" works? So if you DID make a character after the cut off, BUT that character was derivative of another character, then it doesn't count and you get nothing.

They also just create new characters to avoid paying the creator of an older one. That's why there's like fifteen black guys with electricity powers. They pulled it with the female killer frost character in the Flash tv show, probably did it with Black Canary on Arrow too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Skwirl posted:

They also just create new characters to avoid paying the creator of an older one. That's why there's like fifteen black guys with electricity powers.

alright where's that old Edge & Christian post

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Mr. Terrific has a different first name on Arrow as well right? Also, didn't they start using the new Killer Frost in things outside of the show?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
John Ostrander dis get paid for that though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, IIRC DC's residual policy changed after they got publicly shamed by Gerry Conway around s2 of Flash.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

This sounds like a DVD extra.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Considering salaries I'm guessing a lot of screen time will have Loki shapeshifted as other characters.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gaunab posted:

This sounds like a DVD extra.

or just a Highlander or How I Met Your Mother-esque setup with a lot of flashbacks (maybe he's relating all this to Verity Willis for a biography or something)

and yeah they could totally save money or let Hiddleston run off by having Loki shapeshift or swap to female or young Loki at some point

LGD fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Feb 17, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OR

They can pay him what he is worth and he gets to wear fabulous period costumes.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Rhyno posted:

OR

They can pay him what he is worth and he gets to wear fabulous period costumes.

I'm thinking best of both worlds, Cat Loki head all the time and Hids just voices it.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Loki turns into a telephone that happens to sound like Tom Hiddleston in a bar.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Considering salaries I'm guessing a lot of screen time will have Loki shapeshifted as other characters.

I doubt they'd have bothered making the show if they weren't going to have Hiddleston in it very much. Plus I doubt his rate is that high, comparitively speaking. He still does like, BBC miniseries and stuff.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Scaramouche posted:

I'm thinking best of both worlds, Cat Loki head all the time and Hids just voices it.

That would be amazing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Doom Patrol is pretty good. The time jump stuff is a bit weird but it works for me due to the 4th wall breaking and the meta narrative they have going on.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

In the first episode, he transforms into a talking dog, then the rest of the series is just reruns of Mr. Peabody and Sherman.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I can't remember what its name was but there was a series where someone made a deal with the Devil and it would be portrayed by a different actor/actress in every episode

Maybe each episode begins with Loki thinking over what he is going to gently caress up today and choosing an appropriate disguise for it.

Which would be incredibly dumb as they marketing Hiddleston name like this, but who knows.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Samuringa posted:

I can't remember what its name was but there was a series where someone made a deal with the Devil and it would be portrayed by a different actor/actress in every episode

Maybe each episode begins with Loki thinking over what he is going to gently caress up today and choosing an appropriate disguise for it.

Which would be incredibly dumb as they marketing Hiddleston name like this, but who knows.

Was that the show where a cop, who was damned to hell, was given probationary release to track down some souls that escaped from hell? If I recall the cop was damned because he tracked down the men who raped his wife and murdered them.

It was an interesting concept, but I don’t recall it being very good. It didn’t last long.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Proteus Jones posted:

Was that the show where a cop, who was damned to hell, was given probationary release to track down some souls that escaped from hell? If I recall the cop was damned because he tracked down the men who raped his wife and murdered them.

It was an interesting concept, but I don’t recall it being very good. It didn’t last long.

That's Brimstone, but he wasn't different people

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Proteus Jones posted:

Weirdly enough, I googled "tv series devil portrayed different person every episode" and that was the first result, but the second one is what I was talking about

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Collector_(TV_series)

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Just finished the Umbrella Academy and I really liked it. I went in having never read any of the books so I was not sure what I was getting into. Not sure how the first book ends, but I assume after the s1 ended on Netflix there is definitely a second season? Or that is one hell of a cliff hanger.

Is the DC subscription worth it? I would like to watch the doom patrol but not sure I need to pay for another service.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

badjohny posted:

Is the DC subscription worth it? I would like to watch the doom patrol but not sure I need to pay for another service.

Absolutely, unequivocally, no.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Doom Patrol is good however the service itself seems only on Roku and Android, maybe iOS so I'd say the service needs to expand and get more content before it's worth the cost.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Samuringa posted:

So basically it's Quantum Leap and Loki is the Evil Leaper.

I can get on board for that

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Retro Futurist posted:

I liked Brimstone quite a bit. That's mainly on the strength of John Glover as the devil, but he's a damned good devil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWIf3y_oo6Y

Good but not great.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Retro Futurist posted:

Not only was John Glover the devil, but in a later episode an Angel shows up, also played by John Glover. This confused the main character until the Angel explains that "all our people look the same to humans."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Well literally everybody knew it was coming, but Marvel Netflix is now officially dead

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Put them on Agents of SHIELD

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Umbrella Academy is like if Wes Anderson got to do a superhero show and I'm not sure if it WORKS, but I enjoyed it.

It has the gumption to do a couple-minute long dance sequence to a remixed Dancing in the Moonlight and you have to respect that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TwoPair posted:

Well literally everybody knew it was coming, but Marvel Netflix is now officially dead

I blame Jeph Loeb.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lurdiak posted:

I blame Jeph Loeb.

Goddamn the statement Loeb put out was so astonishingly self-aggrandizing. "Nobody said we could make five tv shows!" That wasn't a thing at all dude.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

I blame Jeph Loeb.

He had more of a TV background than I remembered, working on Lost and Heroes. That said neither would really inspire me with confidence to manage my entire TV arm.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I watched the 1st episode of Umbrella Academy and, for some reason, it didn't click until I did that Number 4 is played by Robert Sheeran(The immortal Nathan from Misfits) which is somewhat of a typecast but one that really tickles my fancy.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dawgstar posted:

He had more of a TV background than I remembered, working on Lost and Heroes. That said neither would really inspire me with confidence to manage my entire TV arm.

Isn't he considered one of the reasons Heroes went off of the rails during like season 3 or 4?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ToastyPotato posted:

Isn't he considered one of the reasons Heroes went off of the rails during like season 3 or 4?

I've never looked into it too much, but it wouldn't shock me. That said while the writer's strike is probably the main culprit, it doesn't seem like he had any great idea to save it. ("There'll be this big carnival! with super powered people!")

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The writer's strike definitely hurt season 2, but you can't really blame it for the following two seasons.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I dont think Jeph Loeb even had a writing credit on one Lost episode.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yannick_B posted:

I dont think Jeph Loeb even had a writing credit on one Lost episode.

No, but he was a co-executive producer which could mean a lot or a little.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It was more when Bryan Fuller left that it got bad. Then he briefly came back and it got good again, but then he left like 4 episodes later and it went right back where it was.

I'm pretty shocked they're actually going forward with JJ S3. I hope they just treat it like Defenders S2 and give everyone some closure, assuming the contracts allow for it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm pretty shocked they're actually going forward with JJ S3. I hope they just treat it like Defenders S2 and give everyone some closure, assuming the contracts allow for it.

They apparently starting filming last summer, so I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
JJ will end with her being a crime boss too