Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Samus Returns looked like a neat and fun game, if it really is a bad game then this is the first I've heard of it.

Though looking interesting to me is not exactly a high bar to clear. I find all kinds of poo poo interesting, even games that are definitely not good.

its existence means there's not really any reason to revisit the game boy game beyond nostalgia or historical interest. it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Samus Returns looked like a neat and fun game, if it really is a bad game then this is the first I've heard of it.

Though looking interesting to me is not exactly a high bar to clear. I find all kinds of poo poo interesting, even games that are definitely not good.

Im another person who thinks Samus Returns is not very good.

Its not atrocious, but it has some distinct issues that get more and more irritating as you continue on until the final stretch is where it all comes together in a just categorically unfun experience. Basically every new thing added is bad.

If you want to see what the hubub about the original is Am2r is a better choice but neither one will blow you away since they hew to following the original game whose design was always more intetesting than good.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Uh guys what’s the problem. The Playstation has a Cross Button not a X button.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm fond of games that don't give a specific button now but just show which button location to press. Like ehh gently caress it just press the bottom one whatever it is.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/GiggukAZ/status/1097513615035379712

Cowcaster posted:

i liked the weird fusion suit stuff well enough, the extreme linearity and marked objective waypoints and the stupid dialogue not so much

They could really go full blown body horror and have new upgrades have Samus mutate her body harder. Instead of a grappling hook, she extends her entire arm and claws the ceilings, she moves around faster in water by spreading fins and so on.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i upgraded my pc yesterday and have spent the past 24 hours sleeping and troubleshooting and it might finally sort of work hello everyone

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

it's good.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

njsykora posted:

I'm fond of games that don't give a specific button now but just show which button location to press. Like ehh gently caress it just press the bottom one whatever it is.

It was kind of hosed up in the 90s as circle in Japan was associated with accept whereas in the West it was X, but the 360 era is where everyone accepted the diamond pattern the bottom button being accept and the right button cancel and I can't think of many exceptions.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also samus returns is okay. it's not an amazing game but it's got some decent ideas and it plays better than the original. both it and am2r kind of have their own arguments for playing them and the only real reason not to is cause metroid ii has kind of a neat horror-y atmosphere that neither game efficiently recreates

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Now I am imagining Mercenaries 3 on the Switch and you can play as Donkey Kong or Mario as an unlock and I feel empty inside.

I was playing Total Overdose a few days ago and was thinking I'd be totally ok with games looking how they did late gen 6 and just furthering AI, physics and whatnot.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

al-azad posted:

It was kind of hosed up in the 90s as circle in Japan was associated with accept whereas in the West it was X, but the 360 era is where everyone accepted the diamond pattern the bottom button being accept and the right button cancel and I can't think of many exceptions.

Every japanese game still uses Right as accept and Nintendo games still do right as accent bottom as cancel.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Samuringa posted:

They could really go full blown body horror and have new upgrades have Samus mutate her body harder. Instead of a grappling hook, she extends her entire arm and claws the ceilings, she moves around faster in water by spreading fins and so on.

Maybe not full on body horror, but having her adapt upgrades from indigenous or engineered lifeforms rather than find even more conveniently placed chozo junk would be neat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd like to have seen the original Metroid Prime 1.5 thing where the idea was Samus was locked in a space station that was controlled by an AI that had 4 identities and the rooms were altered slightly based on the identity or however the gently caress that thing went, it sounded like it could have been a neat and interesting experience.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Samuringa posted:

I wish there were more games that explored body horror from a player perspective. There's plenty from an antagonist point of view. Too Human's original pitch was supposed to be like this. You would upgrade yourself with cybernetics but you lost more of your humanity. Soul Sacrifice kinda explores this but the promo material was more body horror than the actual game itself. Graphically at least.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

samus returns is good and am2r is nice fanart

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

njsykora posted:

The Switch usually does this for button prompts (by necessity.)

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
"A huge symbol of stone and mystery stands out far below me against a lake of shadow. I think about all those people whose feet walked above this every day. That mean watching my own steps carefully: from now, the Path of Light turns into a terror superhighway."

:allears: you're so silly Alone In The Dark Inferno

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What about a metroid game where Samus is actually a bounty hunter and has to go nab bounties but also toss in some boktai style "bring them back" poo poo and have you take their weaponry prime 2 style to outfit yourself with new gear to travel around further/faster/better

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

What about a metroid game where Samus is actually a bounty hunter and has to go nab bounties but also toss in some boktai style "bring them back" poo poo and have you take their weaponry prime 2 style to outfit yourself with new gear to travel around further/faster/better

That doesn't sound like Metroid at all.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

That doesn't sound like Metroid at all.

Sure it does, I just described most prime games and some other ones in the series too like super, fusion, and 2/am2r/samus returns but with a different coat of paint.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

This was the original pitch for Prime 3 but they eventually scaled it back to be kind of a normal Prime game which is why there's all these planets but you're never on them for very long

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Its not bad its bland tho.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the light bringer. the loving universe

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh the bounty hunter idea would be like. a better fit for a weird spin to bring back f-zero than a metroid game

if they ever do a new f-zero and don't want to just make it another solid low grav racer they should mix that idea with like, contracting the yakuza team to make a weird yakuza f-zero just cause they're the same team that made gx

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yakuza f-zero where the racing is now just slot cars and the final battle is against the slot car champ guy

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I was thinking of Samus getting stranded on a planet and have to jury rig upgrades on her armor from scrap but that's Rise of the Tomb Raider

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

corn in the bible posted:

the light bringer. the loving universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69REY-a8xxU

I had no idea Carnby was voiced by Max Payne up until I found this clip

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
*Samurai Goroh pops out of a manhole and says Falcon-chan*

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
A Metroid game where your create a character is shadowing Samus around as part of some sort of apprenticeship and she's a total badass from start to finish, even as you help her craft her suit and upgrades back all over again.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Samus can only stop the Space Pirates' nefarious plan by dating the right pigeon

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Colonel posted:

tbh the bounty hunter idea would be like. a better fit for a weird spin to bring back f-zero than a metroid game

if they ever do a new f-zero and don't want to just make it another solid low grav racer they should mix that idea with like, contracting the yakuza team to make a weird yakuza f-zero just cause they're the same team that made gx

Yes good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Bounty hunting f-zero but the bounty hunting is done in cars and is done by smashing them up with your car and also maybe punching the car with your fist, but still being in your car while you punch

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Bounty hunting f-zero but the bounty hunting is done in cars and is done by smashing them up with your car and also maybe punching the car with your fist, but still being in your car while you punch

Might I suggest Star Wars: Racer Revenge as a proof of concept?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Real hurthling! posted:

Dmc5 demo question: how does eqipping arms work?

If i equip one arm type in slot 1 and i have 4 copies of it do i get all 4 in battle or do i need to equip each copy into all 4 slots?

Put another way, when the game tells me i have 3/4 of an arm type do i get the whole stack of them equipped or just 1?

im too bust hacking poo poo up to be able to tell whats going on.

You would need to equip 4 copies of the arm.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
nier automata's orchestral album and the anarchy reigns ost have both kept me alive for several hours of troubleshooting. thank you, nier automata and anarchy reigns, i will be sure to buy astral chain as thanks

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the traffic jam puzzle but it's F-Zero cars

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Crabtree posted:

A Metroid game where your create a character is shadowing Samus around as part of some sort of apprenticeship and she's a total badass from start to finish, even as you help her craft her suit and upgrades back all over again.

I don't know if the world is ready for fin dom Samus.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Training posted:

Every japanese game still uses Right as accept and Nintendo games still do right as accent bottom as cancel.

Then they do the god given right of fixing it for international releases just like uninverting y axis which Japan likes reversed axis for whatever dumb reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chumbler posted:

I don't know if the world is ready for fin dom Samus.

i am