Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Are Rokugan monsters one step removed from real myth to justify using a different monster? Woodblock and watercolor oni in a Japanese style look the most, to me, like Ogres from the CCG card art. Maybe ogres and trolls live in the mountains eating peasants and don't bring any / as much taint? There are untainted trolls in the mountains of Rokugan because Dragon have a card for one. Minor spoiler for the starter adventure, but there is a chance encounter with some small green shadowlands creatures, and it is not a portent for anything other than mischievous little buggers being mischievous. Something I seem to have noticed, and this might just be me and I might have missed it in previous versions, but it seems like the Clans are presented as a collection of very different individuals trying to keep up a common face. The leader of the Shosuro in Ryoko Owai Toshi is an awful villain, with plenty of infighting, and the Scorpion novels shows a handful of Scorps all with different motives and methods. The daimyo of Khanbulak basically hates Rokugan and Bushido and the Ide and and and... it's easier to see the clans being less monolithic, even while the champs have the most power, and therefore exert the most control-- they can't be everywhere at once. That's the drama: what happens when a Samurai is not what he is supposed to be (which is always).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Yeah, that’s the theme... everyone wears masks and pretends to be perfect and honorable servants, but no one is.

E: as for the monsters, there was a whole planet full of all kinds of peoples and races here before the Rokugani showed up.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Free Ogres were a rare thing in past editions of L5R but most evil yokai races weren't originally evil but ended up that way because their ancestors lived in what is now the Shadowlands. Ogres usually get wiped out because they're ogres and have a bad rap, obviously they're Shadowlands monsters, and Rokugani samurai are assholes.

I don't know how it's going to be in the current setting but in the old one it was pretty cyclical in terms of races ruling, declining, and another taking over. Ogres and Nezumi for instance had empires in the past and now humans are the dominant species in Rokugan.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

So I'm thinking about third-party content for l5r. I know it's not Dungeons & Dragons, and it'll never be, and that means that there's never going to be a market of high-quality third-party material to pull from. So I'm wondering, if you are out looking for good l5r fan-made content, what would you be looking for? NPCs? Adventure seeds? Fully written Adventures? New monsters, character options, techniques? And more importantly are there any of those things out there already that are actually good? I know that there are many fan written Adventures on the internet from the many editions of Legend of the Five Rings, but are any of them any good? I've glanced only lightly at a few of them, and they all look very... Contrived? Anyway, I'm just looking for more l5r! I'm impatient waiting for official releases. What are your best online leads?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

WerrWaaa posted:

So I'm thinking about third-party content for l5r. I know it's not Dungeons & Dragons, and it'll never be, and that means that there's never going to be a market of high-quality third-party material to pull from. So I'm wondering, if you are out looking for good l5r fan-made content, what would you be looking for? NPCs? Adventure seeds? Fully written Adventures? New monsters, character options, techniques? And more importantly are there any of those things out there already that are actually good? I know that there are many fan written Adventures on the internet from the many editions of Legend of the Five Rings, but are any of them any good? I've glanced only lightly at a few of them, and they all look very... Contrived? Anyway, I'm just looking for more l5r! I'm impatient waiting for official releases. What are your best online leads?

There's an important difference between 3rd party and fan content - there will never be 3rd party L5R content, there's no licensing arrangement that would allow for it. Fan content - well, I don't know of much for the latest edition myself. I've written an article about dog culture in Rokugan, and it's pretty easy to homebrew new Titles and Schools compared to past editions because the advancement tables, if nothing else, follow a clear formula.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah I'm definitely switching between those two terms as a catch-all for non-official releases. That may have been misleading. I guess I'm not so interested in home brewing stuff myself, as I am in finding things that will prompt Adventures? Or whole Adventures themselves? One of the things that I really do love about the recent edition of Dungeons and Dragons, and Pathfinder before it, is nice Adventure paths. My time is very limited, and my emotional bandwidth is very limited, so having these sorts of Adventures to get stories off the ground for these games that I like is incredibly helpful. I just can't speak for the quality of any of the fan-made Adventures that I found on the internet.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
There are a few crackers in the old editions of the game. City of Lies is a classic, though its very much a sandbox investigation where you need to internalize the setting a bit.
You have to get across to the players, while you are kinda the FBI, you are the FBI where very important people in government are going to obstruct you and you just have to work around it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I ran the Emerald Championship adventure a year or so ago as an introductory mission to a completely new group of players and enjoyed it quite a bit. It gives the players a decent reason to all be unified despite being under different banners and provides a lot of different challenges for the players to overcome.

I think one of the main problems with a lot of the content out there is that not many writers go into it with an unbiased view of all the clans. I know a lot of people complained on the Facebook group a while back when this question came up that far too many of the missions ultimately end in some generic Scorpion villain behind it all. Not that I would be overly critical of the writing for the actual scheme though. It's pretty hard to write compelling villains when sometimes you have to have your PCs fail up as that undermines the storytelling quite a bit.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

PaybackJack posted:

I ran the Emerald Championship adventure a year or so ago as an introductory mission to a completely new group of players and enjoyed it quite a bit. It gives the players a decent reason to all be unified despite being under different banners and provides a lot of different challenges for the players to overcome.

I think one of the main problems with a lot of the content out there is that not many writers go into it with an unbiased view of all the clans. I know a lot of people complained on the Facebook group a while back when this question came up that far too many of the missions ultimately end in some generic Scorpion villain behind it all. Not that I would be overly critical of the writing for the actual scheme though. It's pretty hard to write compelling villains when sometimes you have to have your PCs fail up as that undermines the storytelling quite a bit.

You can do a lot worse than getting hold of old Heroes of Rokugan mods. Many are extremely tied into the main plot, but many are oneshots that are pretty easily adaptable, especially in the original campaign, if you can find it, and there's no shortage of villains from every clan.

Well, okay, there's a little bias. Of the three campaigns to complete thus far, 1.5 of the final villains have been Lion.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
We have another card preview for the Unicorn clan pack here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/20/ride-in-unison/

But that's not what I want to talk about. I was thinking; what's up with the Disguised mechanic, thematically? Because Rokugan is "dangerous" now, samurai have to conceal their identities "until they are needed most." I am not feeling this in the setting where who you are and who you work for is extremely important because of matters like glory and bringing honor to your family line. Also because this is a very rigid caste system society with lots of things like traveling papers and border checkpoints where identifying your station is a big deal. "Don't mind me, magistrate, I'm definitely a samurai entitled to bear these swords. I just can't tell you who exactly I am. I will endure being treated no better than a vagabond ronin because it's 'dangerous' out there." Not feeling it.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I wonder if the fiction from Children sheds any light on it? Has a new civil war for the throne started? Maybe it is a bit more... convenient to not have your identity known around those loyal to the other heir.

Or, imagine you are on the battlefield, squaring off against one of many enemy samurai, and oops, guess you didn't know that was Matsu Badass, the Lion's ichiban number one headkicker. Too bad for you. In this case disguise is a bad word to describe what's happening.

Works great for Ninja. And Kolat. Neither of which exist.

Or it's just a silly abstraction for a neat game mechanic.

Mostly those are just excuses and you are right, just trying to come up with anything really.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

SuperKlaus posted:

We have another card preview for the Unicorn clan pack here: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2019/2/20/ride-in-unison/

But that's not what I want to talk about. I was thinking; what's up with the Disguised mechanic, thematically? Because Rokugan is "dangerous" now, samurai have to conceal their identities "until they are needed most." I am not feeling this in the setting where who you are and who you work for is extremely important because of matters like glory and bringing honor to your family line. Also because this is a very rigid caste system society with lots of things like traveling papers and border checkpoints where identifying your station is a big deal. "Don't mind me, magistrate, I'm definitely a samurai entitled to bear these swords. I just can't tell you who exactly I am. I will endure being treated no better than a vagabond ronin because it's 'dangerous' out there." Not feeling it.

Not every samurai is doing the disguised thing so it feels to me more like a way for other clans to have spies than just making that a purely Scorpion thing.

Regarding the new Unicorn preview, I'm really not sure what to think about the creature. He obviously plays very well in the early game with the new Stronghold but I feel like there's still enough single target kill effects that putting him out first turn and even if your opponent drops a ton of fate on him isn't actually going to get you very far. He's also the typical old school Crab/Unicorn giant pile of force with nothing to do.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

But she's pretty.

AMA hinted at pre-built / tournament winning decks being released, similar to Game of Thrones or Netrunner.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I was at a game store with a "Buy one, get one" sale on the core for the LCG, so I bought two with the intent on playing them at board game nights.
Is it possible to make balanced Unicorn/Crane/Scorpion/Crab decks with this set-up?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Moriatti posted:

So I was at a game store with a "Buy one, get one" sale on the core for the LCG, so I bought two with the intent on playing them at board game nights.
Is it possible to make balanced Unicorn/Crane/Scorpion/Crab decks with this set-up?

Three core sets is what you need to make two ideal decks. You could make four awful decks from two core sets, I suppose. If you just want two decks from two boxes, pick some clans and I bet someone'll suggest something.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

Three core sets is what you need to make two ideal decks. You could make four awful decks from two core sets, I suppose. If you just want two decks from two boxes, pick some clans and I bet someone'll suggest something.

Will the 4 awful decks be decent to play or should I just make this a dueling game?

Also, is this game draft friendly? That's usually what I try to do with LCGs

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Moriatti posted:

Will the 4 awful decks be decent to play or should I just make this a dueling game?

I mean... if the players don't know any better. Unicorn is pretty punk out of the core box, but I bet I could throw together.... something, if you've got your heart set on two core sets four decks. Those four clans specifically?

The game is seriously complex, mind you. It took me quite a few games to really click with just what the hell was going on at any time, and only now do I feel like I understand the strategy at all.

Moriatti posted:

Also, is this game draft friendly? That's usually what I try to do with LCGs

I don't think I've heard of anyone drafting L5R. It's an interesting idea and I'd like to hear if it is any good.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Crab and Unicorn were specifically requested, Crane and Scorpion are my guesses, Cran seemed like a fun flavor and Scorpions being shitheels seemed like my jam, but Dragon and Lion both also seem on brand for me.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Moriatti posted:

Crab and Unicorn were specifically requested, Crane and Scorpion are my guesses, Cran seemed like a fun flavor and Scorpions being shitheels seemed like my jam, but Dragon and Lion both also seem on brand for me.

Well, crab and unicorn are both pretty similar in the core, and are going to draw from the same pool of neutral cards. They're both going to be heavily military themed, so Crane and Scorpions won't step on their toes too much.

Back inna bit.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Mystic Mongol posted:

Well, crab and unicorn are both pretty similar in the core, and are going to draw from the same pool of neutral cards. They're both going to be heavily military themed, so Crane and Scorpions won't step on their toes too much.

Back inna bit.

Alright.
Current plan is to make decks with all of that faction's cards from the combined cores, and then distribute the neutral cards as close to the official suggestions as possible.

Is this a trap option or would that be fine?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Yeah, I'd forgotten how thin on the ground the pickings are when you're trying to build two decks out of one core set, which is basically what you're doing, only twice.

Sadly, there's not much point to pruning the decks down to get rid of useless cards--they're bordering on too small as is. It'll give people a chance to see if they like the game, at least, but... well, a conflict deck is 40 cards, for example. The Unicorn have 10 conflict cards in the core set, two sets gives you 20. Then there's a total of 56 neutral conflict cards to go around, so if you split them up evenly, that's only 34 cards. Playable, sure, but there's no room for deckbuilding. Same breakdown gives you a 36 card dynasty deck.

Just give each deck two copies of each clan specific card, one of each neutral card except the Keeper and Seeker initiates, two keepers or seekers as appropriate, and walk away whistling. It'll give people a chance to try the game and find out if they like the mechanics, and the decks will be balanced in that they'll all be just a mess.

As for roles and provinces:

Crab: Seeker of Earth, Pilgrimage, Manicured Garden, Defend the Wall, Ancestral Lands, Elemental Fury
Crane: Keeper of Air, Shameful Display, Meditations on the Tao, The Art of Peace, Entrenched Position, Rally to the Cause
Scorpion: Seeker of Air, Shameful Display, Secret Cache, Manicured Garden, Entrenched Position, Elemental Fury
Unicorn: Keeper of Fire, Pilgrimage, Meditation on the Tao, Fertile Field, Ancestral Lands, Rally to the Cause

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Speaking of meditations on the Tao, I would just like to note that I loving love the Shinseism chapter of Emerald Empire and am shocked it took this long to get even one explanation of Shinseism, let alone three equally cromulent interpretations.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

I want to say someone already posted an answer to this but beyond the Topaz Championship are there any adventure modules that are recommended for newly created 5e characters?

My group is most likely going to finish the Topaz Championship module next session, and everybody would like to start with characters of their own making. I could transplant these new chars into the follow-up to the Topaz Championship (In the Palace of the Emerald Champion), but I think it would just be easier to start fresh.

Ruzihm fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 28, 2019

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Legacy of Disaster can be easily converted and was the Free RPG Day quick start adventure.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Thank you very much. I'm also completely new to the l5r rpg so is there a good example or guide of how to convert things appropriately to 5e?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I have some room for one-shot coming up, does this system work well for that?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Moriatti posted:

I have some room for one-shot coming up, does this system work well for that?

The module included in the beginner box is meant to be played over the course of 1 or two sessions, over the course of 5-8 hours depending on how fast you blaze through the elements or you go off the rails.

This system requires custom dice but a pack of them is included in the beginner box.

My group has played the first half of the beginner box module and it took about 3-4 hours, and they really enjoyed it. If you have the kind of group who has the stamina for a 6 hr game the beginner box would be great for a one-shot.

I can't speak for other modules or free form one-shots but I'd expect them to be good.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

It'd be online so cost is less onerous, I'll pitch it as such, thanks!

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

How easy is it to convert the beginners box for custom PCs anyway? The I’ve got the rule book and I’m cobbling a campaign together and the Topaz championship would be as good a starting point for the PCs as any, but I suspect the group I’d be running for would prefer to start with their own characters from the get go.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 2, 2019

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

It's fine but expect them to win.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The RPG doesn't have any archer-centric schools yet, does it? The Tsuruchi aren't a thing yet in the new edition, and I don't know if any schools really incentivize bow usage much.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

New book announcement: Courts of Stone, to focus on the intrigues of court, castles, shinobi stuff, the Crane Clan and the minor Deer Clan, whose job is to maintain the balance of power between the other clans with manipulation and subtle maneuvers, plus their ability to read the possibilities of the future.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

Kaito are archers!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

WerrWaaa posted:

Kaito are archers!

They're also incredibly good archers, because their gimmick is using their arrows as delivery mechanisms for invocations.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Ruzihm posted:

Thank you very much. I'm also completely new to the l5r rpg so is there a good example or guide of how to convert things appropriately to 5e?

It's pretty simple. Just divide the TNs listed by 5, so TN 5 is 1, 10 is 2 and son on. In regard to Legacy of Disaster, bandits can bandits, Hakuri can just use the courtier statblock, the sword thief a loyal bushi, gaki a souped up skeletal bush , and so forth. Don't worry about schools too much as NPCs don't usually have school techs anyway.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Terratina posted:

It's pretty simple. Just divide the TNs listed by 5, so TN 5 is 1, 10 is 2 and son on. In regard to Legacy of Disaster, bandits can bandits, Hakuri can just use the courtier statblock, the sword thief a loyal bushi, gaki a souped up skeletal bush , and so forth. Don't worry about schools too much as NPCs don't usually have school techs anyway.
I would say offhand to subtract 5 from TNs before dividing/subtract 1 after dividing, so 10 -> 1, 15 ->2, etc. I haven't fully done the math but at the least it's not quite so assured that +2k1 will give you +1 success in this system, and barring unusual circumstances nothing printed goes above TN 5. (Formally I mean +1 skill point and +1 ring point since +2k1 is dated language.)

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Mors Rattus posted:

They're also incredibly good archers, because their gimmick is using their arrows as delivery mechanisms for invocations.

Oh poo poo they're like (to use a D&D term) arcane archers? Hella neat.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I'm reading through the beginner box and I'm not a fan of the dialect given, do you guys get rid of that kind of talk in your own games?

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Moriatti posted:

So I'm reading through the beginner box and I'm not a fan of the dialect given, do you guys get rid of that kind of talk in your own games?

yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I recently read an essay on games with historical Asian settings that boils down to “if there’s an English word that means the same thing, just use the English word.”

(Or whichever other language you and your group prefer.)

James Mendez Hodes posted:

“We also encourage players to speak in casual modern idiom when they speak in-character, assuming the characters are translating the words and tone into equivalent sixteenth-century Japanese/classical Chinese/Aynu/Portuguese/whatever.

We do so in order to counteract tendencies toward “Asian Voice” when role-playing. Even when no one is doing a stupid accent and everyone is trying, gamers tend to radically formalize their speech when they portray Asian characters: no contractions, lots of honorifics, long Latinate words, maybe even mystical sayings.

I’m not sure I’d call this affect racist, strictly speaking; but it’s certainly a pattern which descends from and reinforces certain Asian stereotypes. I think dispensing with it diversifies players’ characterizations of Japanese people and encourages them to relax and set aside inhibitions and preconceptions.”