Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I have never, ever, been more happy to get a shotgun in a game than I was in Resident Evil 7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Seeing the Molded in RE7 strongly reminded me of The Wanky poo poo Demon cartoon, which I'm not going to link but you're going to watch anyway out of morbid curiosity.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

In the original Resident Evil 2 there was a welcome sign for Leon to celebrate his first day.

If you look close you can see that they messed up and wrote Wellcome Leon.

Thankfully, they fixed it for the REmake

Wait, what's that on the desk below?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Holy poo poo

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Now that's a good goddamn little thing in a game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thats fuckin incredible.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

There’s even still a little bit of extra space between the L and C.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

a kitten posted:

In the original Resident Evil 2 there was a welcome sign for Leon to celebrate his first day.

2019 Capcom is a pretty good Capcom

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

a kitten posted:

:vince:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

a kitten posted:

:lol: I was wondering where the second L was supposed to go when I found it on the desk. I chalked it up to an oversight. That's hilarious.

I also just find it really funny in general that a police station would put up a sign for a rookie cop that looks like something from a kids birthday party and have a present waiting for him that requires solving a puzzle.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I love when a zombie is in between you and Mr. X and he just swats them out of the way without giving it a second thought.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
A boy can dream: remake Parasite Eve 2 in this manner.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Dino Crisis first

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Retro Futurist posted:

Dino Crisis first

I would preorder the absolute gently caress out of a Dino Crisis Remake without a second thought. I've been wanting that since RE6 came out and the new engine would be even better.

Or hell just make a new Dino Crisis game only not put in space.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Absolutely put it in space, just don't make it lovely.

Give up the Laser Raptors game we've been waiting for all this time.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Johnny Aztec posted:

Which in modern times could more or less turn out to be like Borderlands with freaky bio-zombies.

...I'm OK with this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Set it in space but don't reveal this until halfway through.

(Are there any games where that happens for real? I can't think of any. Prey drops the facade in like five minutes.)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

haveblue posted:

(Are there any games where that happens for real? I can't think of any. Prey drops the facade in like five minutes.)

A lot of old RPGs do stuff like this, Might and Magic 1 - 7 pretty much all included a part where you find out you're on a giant spaceship and get hilarious laser rifles

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

haveblue posted:

Inversion is the only one I can think of, but that wasn't exactly a great game though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

Lunchmeat Larry is right. Technically the first two Might & Magic games both take place on spaceships, but they're both spaceships consisting entirely of one gigantic habitat, and the reveal isn't so much "holy poo poo I'm on a spaceship" as it is "wait now we have a bunch of Star Trek references?"

If you want big dramatic setting reveals partway through the game, my go-tos would probably be Final Fantasy 3 and Dragon Quest 3.

In the former the first 5-ish hours of the game take place on a floating island. Nobody mentions this fact; you find out by getting an airship and flying off the edge of the map. This takes you to the rest of the game world, which has been almost completely flooded over.

In the latter, you chase the big bad down into the underworld, which is the Dragon Quest 1 world map, but with less-developed towns and some crucial missing features. You then get to set up the various plot trinkets and map elements that drive the hero's quest in the first game, as a side-effect of achieving your immediate goals.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Retro Futurist posted:

Dino Crisis first

The monkey's paw curls and it's actually a stealth Jurassic World game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

A lot of old RPGs do stuff like this, Might and Magic 1 - 7 pretty much all included a part where you find out you're on a giant spaceship and get hilarious laser rifles

Sometimes you're on a planet that has magic and poo poo then find a giant crashed spaceship and get hilarious laser rifles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ravenfood posted:

Sometimes you're on a planet that has magic and poo poo then find a giant crashed spaceship and get hilarious laser rifles.

I remember this happening in 3, which was the only one of the original M&M games I ever played. My brother played Clouds and Darkside which I think had a spaceship crash on magic world in the opening cutscene.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
You don't get space rifles but in Grandia II it turns out that the giant "Sword" that is stranded somewhere and was believed to be used by God was just one of many space ships that were used in a huge gently caress off space war.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"So this is the Granasaber. It destroys evil and has plenty of legroom."

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

haveblue posted:

I remember this happening in 3, which was the only one of the original M&M games I ever played. My brother played Clouds and Darkside which I think had a spaceship crash on magic world in the opening cutscene.

The Wizardry series had this. I only played some of 7 and all of 8 (four or five times). But it was pretty explicitly both in a Krull sort of way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's very heavily implied in The Witcher that humans arrived on the fantasy world it takes place in by spaceship.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RBA Starblade posted:

It's very heavily implied in The Witcher that humans arrived on the fantasy world it takes place in by spaceship.

What, no - it's said that the world they're on is our world, Earth, except that due to an event in which multiple universes collided, monsters and magic leaked in, creating the fantasy world it became - the 'Conjunction of the Spheres'.

When you talk to an elder vampire, he mentions that he and his race showed up one day, in one particular location (which is why there're a few of them around there) and settled in, as they had no way of getting back to their world.

Likewise, elves are from another world, one that's much more fantastical and magical than ours. Dwarves, no idea.

Edit: Wait I'm reading a wiki now. Looks like there are other magical forces at work, dwarves are already before the Conjunction. I dunno. But how is it implied it's a spaceship?

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Feb 19, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morpheus posted:

What, no - it's said that the world they're on is our world, Earth, except that due to an event in which multiple universes collided, monsters and magic leaked in, creating the fantasy world it became - the 'Conjunction of the Spheres'.

When you talk to an elder vampire, he mentions that he and his race showed up one day, in one particular location (which is why there're a few of them around there) and settled in, as they had no way of getting back to their world.

Likewise, elves are from another world, one that's much more fantastical and magical than ours. Dwarves, no idea.

I thought it was the other way around and the elves remembered a time when humans weren't there (the last conjunction, when they would have come through)?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RBA Starblade posted:

I thought it was the other way around and the elves remembered a time when humans weren't there (the last conjunction, when they would have come through)?

Reading a wiki now, you're right with regards to the elves and dwarves - looks like they were already on the Continent before humans showed up, then poo poo went wild during the Conjunction. But I don't know about any possible mention of interstellar travel. Humans coming from another world, sure, but from space?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morpheus posted:

Reading a wiki now, you're right with regards to the elves and dwarves - looks like they were already on the Continent before humans showed up, then poo poo went wild during the Conjunction. But I don't know about any possible mention of interstellar travel. Humans coming from another world, sure, but from space?

Oh, I misread a couple things at the time I think. Elves arrived on "white ships", not humans. I don't think they say how they got there then, I thought it was the other way around and they lost knowledge of a lot of stuff (but not others, like their knowledge of genetics and chemistry - thus Witchers to begin with).

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

If I’m remembering right from the books, gnomes were the first race, then elves and dwarves. Humans came later but were probably colonizers or refugees from another continent. At this point there were no real fantasy elements, elves, dwarves, humans, and gnomes were all just people with different heights and levels of ear-pointiness. Then the Conjunction of the Spheres let magic and fantasy creatures from another world enter the Witcher’s world. The thing about humans coming from the Conjunction or a similar event I think was just a theory by a particularly anti-human elf faction or something.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Johnny Aztec posted:

This, Please! A PE 2 without tank controls.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Star Ocean is kind of like that but the opposite, they start off making you think they're going to be sci-fi and then they turn into fantasy.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Star Ocean 3 has a memorable twist about the nature of the setting all right :mrgw:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

terrenblade posted:

did i hear someone say third birthday remake

with co-op

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

did i hear someone say third birthday remake

with co-op

NO :fuckoff:

You are a bad and terrible person, and please put down the monkey's paw :ohdear:.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

terrenblade posted:

Please. Tank controls should stay in the 90’s. Brigador gets a pass but that’s it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Please. Tank controls should stay in the 90’s. Brigador gets a pass but that’s it.

Even when Capcom uses it for effect like the side kick portions in RE4 and RE2 they already it to make it barely tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Pook Good Mook posted:

Even when Capcom uses it for effect like the side kick portions in RE4 and RE2 they already soften it to make it barely tolerable.