Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Anthem is a pretty fun game but god drat did the devs make some perplexing decisions that will turn a lot of people off of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

poverty goat posted:

destiny is bad

I liked it better when it had a sense of humor and a distinctive look and also was called Borderlands

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

For BioWare? Might be getting to that time, tbh.

Give them a few weeks but start prepping an update to the "EA Mass Grave" comic.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Was Destiny the game where they made a big deal of getting Peter Dinklage to voice a character and then removed/re-recorded all his lines because they were awful?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, it was Destiny. They also removed his best line in the demo because they were embarrassed by the writing and replaced it with nothing.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
After Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda and now Anthem, I don't know where the trust in current Bioware is coming from.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I want that Doom boardgame

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lambert posted:

After Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect Andromeda and now Anthem, I don't know where the trust in current Bioware is coming from.

Sheer inertia and desperate hope for another game with fuckable aliens/elves/minotaurs.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Lambert posted:

Inquisition was pretty decent? Anthem is a mess but also a lot of fun

I can't say anything good about Andromeda though. I couldn't even finish the game

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Was Destiny the game where they made a big deal of getting Peter Dinklage to voice a character and then removed/re-recorded all his lines because they were awful?

dinklage was incredible in destiny and they re-recorded everything with Nolan "God drat Can We Seriously Get One loving Game Without Him, Seriously" North because dinklage's deadpan robot was too deadpan and robotic

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
All of the dialogue in Destiny of either pointless, boring, or ridiculous anyway why even bother re-recording any of it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I just wanna bitch about the glut of A games for a moment. Artifact, Atlas, and Anthem are all being talked about. I'm not playing any of them, but I kinda follow them because I like watching game developers fall on their rear end and I like watching gamers wallow in their own self-made drama. But I have a hard time keeping them straight in my head because they all begin with A.

I know this is entirely a failing of my own stupid brain. It's just three words. I should be able to keep them straight. But alas, I cannot.

Thanks for letting me vent guys.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Destiny got me kind of excited because I'm a sucker for sci-fi stories and it seemed fairly cool but I guess the actual story was a giant wet fart?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Destiny got me kind of excited because I'm a sucker for sci-fi stories and it seemed fairly cool but I guess the actual story was a giant wet fart?

Supposedly some of the backstory in the Grimoire (the codex) was ok/good but I never found out because it's literally inaccessible in-game. Like you'll find a doodad in the world that unlocks an entry and it will tell you this, but you have to get out your phone with the Destiny app or some poo poo because it's not in the game itself. So if it did have some good stuff it was inexplicably locked out from the game itself and basically doesn't count.

Anyway the in-game story and dialogue was the stupidest poo poo imaginable and that's all you get to see if you're playing normally, so yeah I'm gonna say it was a bad story. I could expand more but I'm busy so I don't have time to explain. I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain.

"I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain." is a word for word line someone says to your character in place of any actual exposition. Go download the app you gently caress! - Sincerely, a professional game developer.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Snow Cone Capone posted:

the story of destiny was pretty cool if you went out of your way to find the loving story tidbit unlockables in the game world, synch up your phone via specialized app, and then read them piecemeal while you're on the shitter, but since nobody in their right mind would actually do that it remains purely hypothetical

it doesn't matter because destiny was a fun sci fi game that felt really fun to play in a time when every other multiplayer shooter seemed to be a hardened milsim, but it got worse and worse basically all the time (despite a lot of the expansion content being pretty neat IMO)

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
why did they put the story on a phone app? Did they just want to steal peoples contact info or something, that makes no sense

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

why did they put the story on a phone app? Did they just want to steal peoples contact info or something, that makes no sense

Who knows. I think you could also view them on a web browser or something, but you had to manually register an account with Bungie to do so. It was just during that time when every developer was all about ~platform integration~ so everyone was just making phone apps and browser poo poo that tied into your game for no reason.

I think at the time some Asscreed game had an app and you managed assassins and it did something for you in-game. Battlefront had a tiny mobile game paired to it and completing it would give you some credits and unlocks in-game. I guess Destiny's hot take on it was to not tie it to any in-game stuff, but to take things out of the game (the story) and shove it off-platform instead.

Basically they were following a stupid fad in a uniquely stupid way.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I long for the days when games were just games and not EXPERIENCES

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Chomp8645 posted:

Who knows. I think you could also view them on a web browser or something, but you had to manually register an account with Bungie to do so. It was just during that time when every developer was all about ~platform integration~ so everyone was just making phone apps and browser poo poo that tied into your game for no reason.

I think at the time some Asscreed game had an app and you managed assassins and it did something for you in-game. Battlefront had a tiny mobile game paired to it and completing it would give you some credits and unlocks in-game. I guess Destiny's hot take on it was to not tie it to any in-game stuff, but to take things out of the game (the story) and shove it off-platform instead.

Basically they were following a stupid fad in a uniquely stupid way.

Nintendo has one of those, which has voice chat no one uses, the only way you can report people being jerks, stat tracing and the part most people actually use is buying more clothes for your cephalopod.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Dinklage's robot voice was way better than North's "discount claptrap"

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Barudak posted:

Yeah, it was Destiny. They also removed his best line in the demo because they were embarrassed by the writing and replaced it with nothing.

Then they went for quipy joss whedon poo poo in the second and it was god awful.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I think the lore with the Hive and the Taken are legitimately cool but it's not worth everything else in getting there. Basically read a wiki for some of the Grimoire stuff if you want and skip the actual game.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Artifact ... being talked about.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bioware, Bethesda, and Blizzard are the big lovely buttholes of bideo james

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I think the lore with the Hive and the Taken are legitimately cool but it's not worth everything else in getting there. Basically read a wiki for some of the Grimoire stuff if you want and skip the actual game.

Yeah and for as interesting as the grimoire bits were none of that imagination is in game anywhere or has any bearing on what you do

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chomp8645 posted:

Supposedly some of the backstory in the Grimoire (the codex) was ok/good but I never found out because it's literally inaccessible in-game. Like you'll find a doodad in the world that unlocks an entry and it will tell you this, but you have to get out your phone with the Destiny app or some poo poo because it's not in the game itself. So if it did have some good stuff it was inexplicably locked out from the game itself and basically doesn't count.

Anyway the in-game story and dialogue was the stupidest poo poo imaginable and that's all you get to see if you're playing normally, so yeah I'm gonna say it was a bad story. I could expand more but I'm busy so I don't have time to explain. I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain.

"I don't even have time to explain why I don't have time to explain." is a word for word line someone says to your character in place of any actual exposition. Go download the app you gently caress! - Sincerely, a professional game developer.

lol imagine if people in a star wars movie would sometimes just stop, look at the camera and say "look I don't have time to explain what's going on please read the following Timothy Zahn books:"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Bioware, Bethesda, and Blizzard are the big lovely buttholes of bideo james

Blizzard has been knocking it out of the park in the post-release versions of their games, Diablo 3 wound up becoming fun years after the fact and the Starcraft 2 co-op mode is not only quite fun but also more popular than all of their other game modes combined.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Unpopular opinion:

Starcraft2's co-op mode is a sad testament to what people want out of their video games -I say this as a person who used to play it a lot-. Starcraft (and RTS's in general to a lesser degree) is built upon the idea of a competitive game. You're using your dudes to outmaneuver and murder an opponent playing with similar stuff that you are. Battle of the brains and all that. Campains are fun and all, but even older RTS's like the C&C entries had a ton of fun in the skirmish mode.

SC2's co-op is basically distilling any stressful/difficult/competitive aspects of the game out of the game mode. You're given a fun mini-race with a strong schtick and told to walk around the map killing and defending stuff. It's asymmetrical, which is fine, but the problem is that your race's schtick is SO STRONG that victory is a foregone conclusion. People like winning! Opposition implies you have to work for it, and might not get it. Big no-no!

So basically you have a game mode that:
Is designed to be easily won (Btw your 'co-op ally' is irrelevant, him leaving the game only makes thing every so slightly harder)
Encourages excessive repetition to get marginal stacking metagame bonuses (grinding xp, literally)
Encourages addictive behavior, via xp as mentioned above, but also stuff like "first win of the day bonus" etc.
And oh, has ingame purchases being shoved into your face constantly. Allies with cool DLC factions, etc.

So Blizzard's post-launch support is great, sure. But it exists mostly as a way to monetize the "casuals" with addictive behavior sales.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

read a book instead, basically all science fiction books have better "lore" than every video game, even the best video game stories seem to just be a clumsy ripoff of a better told book

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Serephina posted:

Unpopular opinion:

Starcraft2's co-op mode is a sad testament to what people want out of their video games

Unpopular maybe, but correct.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

read a book instead, basically all science fiction books have better "lore" than every video game

I get what you're saying but about 100% of science fiction books are literally figuratively poo poo. I blame the low cost of self-publishing and the internet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Caesar Saladin posted:

read a book instead, basically all science fiction books have better "lore" than every video game, even the best video game stories seem to just be a clumsy ripoff of a better told book

There is no difference in quality between genre fiction and video game storytelling.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

At least most of the old RTS games are still playable online. Any time of the day you can boot up Red Alert 2 and find an opponent.

Not sure competitive play is all that fun though. At that level it’s all about your ability to micro manage.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

If that diagnosis is accurate I'm gonna die laughing. Ra3 was amazing with a buddy so I thought the idea was neat, but didn't have any friends left playing and didn't want to deal with toxic people raging every time we lost.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

christmas boots posted:

There is no difference in quality between genre fiction and video game storytelling.

actually even the best video game stories of all time are told in a way dumber way than even completely average books

of course there are bad books because of a low barrier to entry but video game stories that are of any worth at all are a complete rarity

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

Unpopular opinion:

Starcraft2's co-op mode is a sad testament to what people want out of their video games -I say this as a person who used to play it a lot-. Starcraft (and RTS's in general to a lesser degree) is built upon the idea of a competitive game. You're using your dudes to outmaneuver and murder an opponent playing with similar stuff that you are. Battle of the brains and all that. Campains are fun and all, but even older RTS's like the C&C entries had a ton of fun in the skirmish mode.

SC2's co-op is basically distilling any stressful/difficult/competitive aspects of the game out of the game mode. You're given a fun mini-race with a strong schtick and told to walk around the map killing and defending stuff. It's asymmetrical, which is fine, but the problem is that your race's schtick is SO STRONG that victory is a foregone conclusion. People like winning! Opposition implies you have to work for it, and might not get it. Big no-no!

So basically you have a game mode that:
Is designed to be easily won (Btw your 'co-op ally' is irrelevant, him leaving the game only makes thing every so slightly harder)
Encourages excessive repetition to get marginal stacking metagame bonuses (grinding xp, literally)
Encourages addictive behavior, via xp as mentioned above, but also stuff like "first win of the day bonus" etc.
And oh, has ingame purchases being shoved into your face constantly. Allies with cool DLC factions, etc.

So Blizzard's post-launch support is great, sure. But it exists mostly as a way to monetize the "casuals" with addictive behavior sales.

Maybe you left before they were a thing but with custom mutators the mode is basically as difficult as you want it to be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

How does the SC2 co-op work exactly? It sounded like it could be dumb fun.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if you've ever played a ums/arcade map where the layout is designed for mission-oriented gameplay in which you defend or attack in waves, that's basically what co-op is. it's cool if you like that sort of thing but the only ums that ever really caught my attention were Marine Special Forces RPG and Stranded on Krydon (<----- definitely play Stranded on Krydon with your bros that's the good stuff)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How does the SC2 co-op work exactly? It sounded like it could be dumb fun.

You and a friend each pick a unique commander, all of which play pretty differently from each other. Together you play on a big map against a fully-established map with AI bases, and each map has different objectives that you need to complete, usually with some sort of time limit (which can be soft, in the sense that the AI gets steadily stronger and overwhelms you). AI attack waves also spawn periodically.

The commanders resemble a slimmed-down version of the race they represent, with some additional features. For instance you can play as Stukov, whose playstyle is basically to create huge hordes of zombies that suicide into opponents while occasionally spawning a big ultralisk that's covered in flamethrowers and missile launchers. Some commanders are a little more basic (Raynor's playstyle is basically creating a bioball with drop pods, or vultures SC-style)

You can also play with optional mutators, which further alter how the game plays. Give enemy units double speed. Fill the map with spider mines. Give the enemy the ability to resurrect units.

It's some mindless fun for ~20 minutes using Starcraft mechanics, the focus on fun instead of competitive elements is pr why it's so popular

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

poverty goat posted:

destiny is bad

Destiny 1 after oryx is great.

Pre-oryx was pretty bad.

Destiny 2 is loving awful.

I put like 2k hours into destiny 1. Vault of glass in vanilla will be one of my favorite gaming moments of this gen.