Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well I may not be getting city destroying monsters to ride around on, but I did get 3 WT lines for the second time so I am content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Emalde posted:

My advice is don't be fooled by the hilarious pricetags on any of the BA-related cosmetics/trade-in items, it'll all crash very soon. Extra magicite via nonsense like Skoll's Fangs is for big dick parsing in content that's going to be dead when 5.0 drops and is fully unnecessary for actually getting your Demi-Ozma. Mill yourself through the early pulls to get Eureka Fragments for some Elemental+2 armor (sans chest or chest+head if you're a caster) and you'll be in perfectly fine shape.

The extra magicite doesn't even effect your damage output I thought? It's just a straight defensive buff. Cassie's Earring and the Speed Belt on the other hand....

Speaking of which, BLM has unlocked a secret ability in Eureka. Gil Toss :v:

https://twitter.com/FFsfia/status/1097366047521353728

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bolow posted:

The extra magicite doesn't even effect your damage output I thought? It's just a straight defensive buff. Cassie's Earring and the Speed Belt on the other hand....

Speaking of which, BLM has unlocked a secret ability in Eureka. Gil Toss :v:

https://twitter.com/FFsfia/status/1097366047521353728

idgi

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
They should unironically add gil toss to eureka, though.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

quote:

For clarification, swapping to a new set of logos actions puts them on your bar and ready (off CD), even if they are the same as the ones you just used. It's a lot of obscures for this combination but it's hugely broken. BLM kinda just learned gil toss.

Haha wow

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bolow posted:

Cassie Earrings/Speed Belt just give you the eureka haste and about +5 mainstat, which... is almost negligible compared to actual +elemental. If you don't actually have any +elemental then it's recommended to run 4/1 for offensive/defensive ATM so the extra magicite lets you run 5/1-2 for maximum output and insurance.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Does this game have DPS meters for dungeons?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

CJ posted:

Does this game have DPS meters for dungeons?

Not legitimately.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

not in-game ones. there are mods that do so such as ACT. technically you're not supposed to use them, but the only way you'd face any consequence is if you used them as part of harassment ("my ACT has you at 700 dps you loving scrub")

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Everyone should use ACT for their own personal betterment.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Re: gathering, worry about materia immediately. You can get the crappy ones for 1k each and you're able to pull it out of gear and put it into new gear so it lasts until you want to overmeld

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Everyone should use ACT for their own personal betterment.

But I play on PS4 :(

strong bird
May 12, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Then you're a lost cause

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

SonicRulez posted:

my man

strong bird
May 12, 2009

There are probably a good amount of raiders on PS4 playing at a high level but they'll never know they are because they can't look at the numbers, the brass tacks and nuts and bolts

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ive healed raids on my vita

numbers are fake, push buttons and win

Great White Hope!
Nov 12, 2006

Tony Hawks Pro Final Fantasy
https://i.imgur.com/03469ar.mp4

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

It's been a while since I've done any housing stuff, but I recently did some work on my apartment. The stuff that got added in 4.5 meant I could improve my loft, and once I finished that, I reworked the rest of it, too.

I have an album with more shots here: https://imgur.com/a/9fneFZS

You can also see it yourself at Excal Mist 2 Subdivision. Apt # 9

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

rhoga posted:

It's been a while since I've done any housing stuff, but I recently did some work on my apartment. The stuff that got added in 4.5 meant I could improve my loft, and once I finished that, I reworked the rest of it, too.

I have an album with more shots here: https://imgur.com/a/9fneFZS

You can also see it yourself at Excal Mist 2 Subdivision. Apt # 9

That looks nice. This may be a stupid question, but how did you get the bed on the loft? When I was trying before I couldn't get it to actually lock into it. I relinquished my house in preparation for my move to excal, but I'd like to know for the future.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

That's cute, do you only get the second floor in FC apartments?

Also: does anyone know how gathering odds are calculated? It seems like I have a disproportionately low success rate but I can't tell if it's confirmation bias. But I'm pretty sure it has to be weighted against the players, because things with a 50 percent gathering rate gather way less than half the time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
No apartment gets a second floor, that used to be achieved through clever abuse of housing placement items, but with 4.5, they just *gave* us the items needed to easily make lofts.

You'll still need to use a thing to float items that normally can only be placed on the ground up on these new lofts, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

You'll still need to use a thing to float items that normally can only be placed on the ground up on these new lofts, though.
Is this an item?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also: does anyone know how gathering odds are calculated?

Elentor posted about the crafting RNG being bizarre somewhere back in the thread, although I don't remember the details much or if it applies to gathering.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Is there a good website to use for browsing all the housing objects? I want to do more with my house but I never know what all exists, or what things' names are.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

As far as housing glitches go, the floating glitch right now is actually pretty easy. I learned about it from this guide. It's pretty decent at explaining it, even if it's a little long. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS6I9mQe6dg

Edit:

Gruckles posted:

Is there a good website to use for browsing all the housing objects? I want to do more with my house but I never know what all exists, or what things' names are.
http://en.ff14housing.com/ is good

DEAD GAY FORUM
Dec 18, 2018

the good posts were inside you all along
This is a great game.

I can begin a quest at level 55, waste my time completing them, but I can't turn them in and get credit for them for another 3 levels!

Can we get a :yoship: emoji yet?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also: does anyone know how gathering odds are calculated? It seems like I have a disproportionately low success rate but I can't tell if it's confirmation bias. But I'm pretty sure it has to be weighted against the players, because things with a 50 percent gathering rate gather way less than half the time.

I see you've experienced the XCOM RNG system while leveling a gatherer.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm pretty sure 14's RNG is working with the numbers it tells you but it also EXTREMELY streaky so you need an enormous sample size for it to average out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I just hit 50 on Miner, what do I do to get a full set of 50 equipment? I got the Forager's Pick on the MB, but it looks like both the level 50 sledgehammers are going to require me to level Blacksmith. I can't find info on armor - I'm not seeing crafter armor sold in Mor Dhona like tools.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just hit 50 on Miner, what do I do to get a full set of 50 equipment? I got the Forager's Pick on the MB, but it looks like both the level 50 sledgehammers are going to require me to level Blacksmith. I can't find info on armor - I'm not seeing crafter armor sold in Mor Dhona like tools.

Do you have moogle quests unlocked? The vendor sells level 50 armors and tools. Alternatively you can just leve your way to 51 and buy stuff at Ishgard

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Boogalo posted:

I'm pretty sure 14's RNG is working with the numbers it tells you but it also EXTREMELY streaky so you need an enormous sample size for it to average out.
It's a fairly decent RNG all told. It's not perfect and might be a bit streaky but from personal experience those streaks can go both ways. There's plenty of tales from people failing 95%+ HQ attempts on crafting items.
I know I've had a few streaks of making HQ items with only like, 15-20% (manual synthing stuff with an HQ ingredient or two because I didn't have the stats to quick synth it 100% successfully.)

It's the same for Gathering except you should care less because you're going to throw enough gathering attempts in there to get you what you need for things. The only things you should be pushing to get HQ are quest rewards that require HQ stuff. And those are usually in small enough amounts that it doesn't take too long to get them.

Fishing RNG is another thing entirely since it has the third layer of RNG added on: 'what you catch' (in addition to 'do you catch it' and 'is it HQ?') I remember spending plenty of time at the MB to buy my way through some levels of ARR FSH.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Do you have moogle quests unlocked? The vendor sells level 50 armors and tools.
No, I didn't even know that was a thing. Where do I go, and how much rep do I have to grind to unlock it?

edit: and can I do it as a gatherer and not a crafter?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Sadly, the Moogle Beast Tribe only unlocks with a level 50 Disciple of the Hand. The Namazu Beast Tribe unlocks with either a level 60 Disciple of the Hand or Land, but that's not a whole lot of help for the 50-60 range.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Hogama posted:

Sadly, the Moogle Beast Tribe only unlocks with a level 50 Disciple of the Hand. The Namazu Beast Tribe unlocks with either a level 60 Disciple of the Hand or Land, but that's not a whole lot of help for the 50-60 range.
That's fine, I'm not in a rush to max out my Miner equipment. I'm going to get Botanist to 50 next, then start doing all the crafters to 50.

edit: I just hit 51 from the level 50 miner quest, so never mind, I'll just Get Equipped With Vendor Trash.

edit 2: How do I unlock Methodical Appraisal and Discerning Eye?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FactsAreUseless posted:

How do I unlock Methodical Appraisal and Discerning Eye?

Go to Mor Dhona and you should find an NPC with a quest by the tent next to where Poetics gear is sold.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Vermain posted:

Go to Mor Dhona and you should find an NPC with a quest by the tent next to where Poetics gear is sold.
Looks like you start the quest to unlock collectables in Foundation and then end it with this NPC. Thanks!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah you basically want to pop into Mor Dhona, Foundation, and Idyllshire every couple of levels to see if there are new unlock quests (and Kugane/Rhalgr's Reach once you hit 60+).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Yeah you basically want to pop into Mor Dhona, Foundation, and Idyllshire every couple of levels to see if there are new unlock quests (and Kugane/Rhalgr's Reach once you hit 60+).
When cross-leveling crafters to 50, what's the order? Should I just do them all to 10, then to 20, etc.?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Oh also, since it's going to be relevant, figure out a good way to get up to 600gp. I did it by crafting good rings at around gatherer level 55 and putting +gp materia on them, but I wish I did it earlier with food/materia on left-side equipment because it makes the upcoming collectible grind go a lot faster and smoother.

e: The commonly recommended crafter level path is everything to 15, CUL to 37, CRP to 50, and then everything else in whatever order.

You can skip getting CRP to 50 in favor of leveling everyone equally to make crafting your own gear more easily (this is what I did) but CUL to 37 unlocks the most useful early game skill, Hasty Touch.

e2: Sorry, level 37 unlocks Steady Hand II. That + Hasty Touch are an extremely important combo since SH2 is a straight upgrade to SH1.

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Oh also, since it's going to be relevant, figure out a good way to get up to 600gp. I did it by crafting good rings at around gatherer level 55 and putting +gp materia on them, but I wish I did it earlier with food/materia on left-side equipment because it makes the upcoming collectible grind go a lot faster and smoother.

You can get 600GP without much effort by using a Materia Melder NPC to put cheap GP +3 Materia into all of your gear and then eat Dzemael Gratin, which you can buy in mass amounts from the Carver at the end of the long line of stalls in the Jeweled Crozier.

Control Volume posted:

You can skip getting CRP to 50 in favor of leveling everyone equally to make crafting your own gear more easily (this is what I did) but CUL to 37 unlocks the most useful early game skill, Hasty Touch.

I'd highly recommend getting CRP to 50 after CUL37 if you have any interest in leveling up your classes through non-Ixali/Moogle/Namazu dailies at all. It's hard to overstate how much easier Byregot's makes HQing, and HQing directly leads to more EXP gains via turnins/leves without having to pay through the nose. It's also good to get at least one class up to 50 so that you can start taking advantage of Moogle dailies and, eventually, Namazu/Deliveries.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 19, 2019