Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Randaconda posted:

I was a huge fan of Scott Norton back then, for some reason. Dude just looked like he could legit whip some rear end.

sounds like you answered yr own question there, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
1997 Nitro rules. So far they’ve hyped Mongo vs Kevin Greene of the Carolina Panthers, The Giant and Lex Luger vs Dennis Rodman and Hogan, and now this is happening...

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 18, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BGrifter posted:

1997 Nitro rules. So far they’ve hyped Mongo vs Kevin Greene of the Carolina Panthers, The Giant and Lex Luger vs Dennis Rodman and Hogan, and now this is happening...

1997 may be the best year, overall, in American wrestling history.

If only WCW didn't gently caress up Starrcade :negative:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Randaconda posted:

1997 may be the best year, overall, in American wrestling history.

If only WCW didn't gently caress up Starrcade :negative:

Yeah I remember all the high points, but there’s so much weird stuff I totally forgot. It’s been glorious reliving all these episodes I haven’t seen in 20 years.

Sting just flew away from the nWo!!!

God I wish I could GIF that, it was HILARIOUS.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 18, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1997 is also when Hogan was really coming into his own as a heel, and was loving amazing at it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Randaconda posted:

1997 is also when Hogan was really coming into his own as a heel, and was loving amazing at it.

Much more important Alex Wright is really coming into his own. *cheesy techno music and pelvic thrusts*

Forget the main event, we’ve got Alex Wright vs helmetless Glacier!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Please use the timg tags next time, man.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Jerusalem posted:

Please use the timg tags next time, man.

Oops, phone posting. My bad.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BGrifter posted:

lol I totally forgot The Great Muta was one of the five billion members of the nWo. That was a fun surprise.

I remember Muta being in the ICP stable more

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Smoking Crow posted:

I remember Muta being in the ICP stable more

Oh god The Oddities with Kurgan if memory serves?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

BGrifter posted:

The Oddities was WWF

WCW has a faction in Summer 1999 that's Raven, Vampiro, and ICP. This is about a month before Raven asks for and gets his release, and the group sort of persists for a bit but is then disbnaded.

Later in Summer 2000, WCW reforms the group with Vampiro, ICP, Muta, and the KISS Demon.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Is Keiji Mutoh a juggalo

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

BGrifter posted:

You don't get to be a wrestling company without a juggalo stable

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

You don't get to be a wrestling company without a juggalo stable

https://youtu.be/emPAJIoy-bg?t=108

The Oddities and ICP seem to be more over than most anyone in the current roster.

Juggalos are good people, they deserve it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

On the flipside, Vampiro was in the WCW Juggalo group and Vamp sucks.

But yeah, no criticism for the ICP boys, they are total wrestling fanboys and often when on tour would just ring up a local indy and ask if they could do something. And then Juggalos would buy tickets just to see their boys and the promotion would get an unexpected windfall at the gate.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

forkboy84 posted:

On the flipside, Vampiro was in the WCW Juggalo group and Vamp sucks.

But yeah, no criticism for the ICP boys, they are total wrestling fanboys and often when on tour would just ring up a local indy and ask if they could do something. And then Juggalos would buy tickets just to see their boys and the promotion would get an unexpected windfall at the gate.

they no showed cage of death 3, leading Zandig to beat up a juggalo jobber

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

BGrifter posted:

1997 Nitro rules.

It really, really does

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

OctoberCountry posted:

It really, really does

That’s it! Sting flying away from the nWo was hilarious and awesome.

Not pictured: a minute of Sting yanking on the cord while they awkwardly tried to stall for time.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Note: Sting died on the way back to his home planet.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BGrifter posted:

That’s it! Sting flying away from the nWo was hilarious and awesome.

Not pictured: a minute of Sting yanking on the cord while they awkwardly tried to stall for time.

It was awkward at times, but his harness always looked much, much safer than Owen's. :smithcloud:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Randaconda posted:

It was awkward at times, but his harness always looked much, much safer than Owen's. :smithcloud:

well yeah, Turner didn't want to kill the guy

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Randaconda posted:

Gotta admit this runs through my head every time Sting descends from the ceiling. It helps knowing Sting is still alive today.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BGrifter posted:

Gotta admit this runs through my head every time Sting descends from the ceiling. It helps knowing Sting is still alive today.

:same:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A year of extremely dangerous stunt work and Sting is fine. One match with Seth Rollins however...

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

oldpainless posted:

A year of extremely dangerous stunt work and Sting is fine. One match with Seth Rollins however...

shoulda spent less time powerlifting bibles and more time studying turnbuckles

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mutoh's involvement in nWo Japan was like, the key to the storyline for a good year. He wasn't just some dude in the group.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Mutoh's involvement in nWo Japan was like, the key to the storyline for a good year. He wasn't just some dude in the group.

yeah it was huge for Japan, which all that happened well outside the eyes of US WCW viewers.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Another Hulk Hogan raft has surfaced on eBay

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Now if only we could fi---

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WCW-Slapnuts-Blvd-Street-Sign-Good-Condition-Little-Faded-Thats-About-It/233114668748

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holy poo poo that owns

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm holding out for the Buff Bagwell pennant

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-wcw-buff-the-stuff-bagwell-full-size-pennant-rare/272693073862

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

NikkolasKing posted:

https://youtu.be/emPAJIoy-bg?t=108

The Oddities and ICP seem to be more over than most anyone in the current roster.

Juggalos are good people, they deserve it.

It's great to be reminded of what an entertained packed crowd actually looks like.

It's also nice that the match had absolutely no reason to be a 6-man tag since X-Pac was obviously hurt and Giant Silva obviously has no reason to wrestle ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shiki Dan posted:

It's great to be reminded of what an entertained packed crowd actually looks like.

It's also nice that the match had absolutely no reason to be a 6-man tag since X-Pac was obviously hurt and Giant Silva obviously has no reason to wrestle ever.

Got that reminder last week when I watched Cage of Death 3.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It's still kinda funny to me that ICP who look and act like the grossest music artists in the industry say that their worst experiences were around wrestlers, especially Shaggy saying he never saw pills or heroin until he got into wrestling.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

coconono posted:

yeah it was huge for Japan, which all that happened well outside the eyes of US WCW viewers.

There was even a time when Muta was in the nWo but Mutoh was team NJPW. I don't speak Japanese and reports in English at that time were non existent for the most part, so I never really understood exactly how that was explained in story.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I've had an ebay saved search for that for years, but when I saw it pop up with that asking price my heart sunk.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I watched WCW in '99 when I was little and I do remember Revolution.

But what happened to them? Was it disbanded by the time 3 out of the 5 members wanted to bail to WWF?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

I watched WCW in '99 when I was little and I do remember Revolution.

But what happened to them? Was it disbanded by the time 3 out of the 5 members wanted to bail to WWF?

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I forgot they even had a 5th member; it was all about the four guys. And while Douglas, the one who didn't jump to WWE, was the leader/mouthpiece of the group, his star was fading fast at that point. I think he kept the Revolution theme music, but he didn't do much after that.

Basically you had the whole group suddenly jumping ship to WWE but swapping out Douglas for Guerrero.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

rujasu posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. I forgot they even had a 5th member; it was all about the four guys. And while Douglas, the one who didn't jump to WWE, was the leader/mouthpiece of the group, his star was fading fast at that point. I think he kept the Revolution theme music, but he didn't do much after that.

Basically you had the whole group suddenly jumping ship to WWE but swapping out Douglas for Guerrero.

Douglas basically stuck around WCW with his Perfect Strangers knock-off music and got Torrie Wilson as a valet. Cut a lot of promos where he threatened to "Franchise" people's asses. It was not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Douglas basically stuck around WCW with his Perfect Strangers knock-off music and got Torrie Wilson as a valet. Cut a lot of promos where he threatened to "Franchise" people's asses. It was not great.

Yeah, I do remember him trying to make "Franchised" a thing.

It was better than Dean Douglas I guess.