Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does Smash Bros Switch not have an in-game database telling you who the hell all these spirits are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

im right here

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'd kind of love a Metroid continuation of Samus like hundreds of years after Fusion (she's part Metroid and Chozo whatever she's space immortal) roaming the distant uncontacted fringes of the galaxy while the GF loses interest finds that poo poo space pirates are out here.

Or she comes back to find the GF wiped itself out with all the poo poo they were playing with and she has to explore the deserted monster infested ruins of the capital and piece together what happened.

Bringing other humans into Metroid has only ever hosed things up. Kill them all off.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Samus Returns' main issue is enemies being too chunky when fought conventionally, but the last beam upgrades fixes that so I thought it got better about that towards the end. My main issue was forgetting about spiderball when it was meant to be used to avoid attacks which is on me. Other than that it had issues, but understandable experimental/"devs' first time with the series" ones that just make me more curious about how'd they iterate given the chance.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Finished Iconoclasts.

It remained incomprehensible to the very end, not because it was ever truly confusing as to what was happening but because no one in the game can seem to hold a simple conversation without being overwrought in the weirdest ways. I'm not sure if this is better or worse to straight up being bad; something like Freedom Planet I can just skip through all the plot and focus on the gameplay, but Iconoclasts struck this uncanny valley where I feel like I should be getting something out of all the :words: but I could never really pin down what sort of tone or intent I was supposed to glean from it, ultimately having it all serve as a distraction.

If the gameplay was superlative enough to make up for that it'd be one thing, but man is there some frustrating stuff here. The tweak system they have for upgrades is pretty loving weak, providing very little reason for implementing one upgrade over the other. They should have made some upgrades permanent, some upgrades equipable, and only SOME upgrades actually something you can lose by getting hit rather than all of them. As it was it was such a pain in the rear end trying to maintain a certain loadout because any advantages you'd have from the tweaks (innocuous stuff that you'd just want active all the time, like faster movement or stronger wrench attacks) were just going to be lost as soon as you brushed up against something. Which given how hard the game can be at times, was a near certainty. I'd make all upgrades permanent, and only have the Heart upgrades things that you can lose temporarily upon getting hit.

The boss battles are also designed bizarrely, where it's very difficult to discern what you're meant to do or when you do figure it out it's often just not very fun to pull off. At least the final boss was pretty good, I guess.

I don't know, I like these retro games but the gap between something like this and Shovel Knight feels gargantuan.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I kind of put Iconoclasts in its own category because it took so many years for Konjak to develop

Warts and all I still think it's not quite the same as, say, the average indie game that is released from day to day. it is sort of an 'event' game, like, when a release date was finally announced for the game, everyone was like "holy poo poo it's actually going to be released". i consider these sort of the AAA of indie games, good or bad. like YIIK was an 'event' release even though it was loving terrible because it had public attention pre-release for a long time. Barkley 2, which will never come out, is in that same category. and Descent Underground, which will probably not be great. and the new hollow knight sequel, or the new Ori game

which is different from, like, snakebird primer, a snakebird prequel that literally was announced last night with no fanfare or build-up, and comes out in a couple of days. or some of the humble originals that you only hear about the very day the bundle unlocks are revealed and in your account

i think the next 'shovel knight'-tier game, when it happens, it will probably not have much fanfare or maybe even go completely unnoticed for a long time becuase of how many indie games there are now

e: like the rogue legacy devs, which i would consider an 'event' indie game from a few years ago, released a new game in 2018, and no one bought it or knew about it because there are a billion indie games now, and they called it 'full metal furies'

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Feb 19, 2019

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

The Colonel posted:

i upgraded my pc yesterday and have spent the past 24 hours sleeping and troubleshooting and it might finally sort of work hello everyone

hello

did you upgrade it for any game in particular?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

LawfulWaffle posted:

You would need to equip 4 copies of the arm.

Thanks. I also finally realized how to dodge too. This demo kinda sucks rear end at explaining poo poo on a really complicated character. Game is cool though. Excited to C rank it like a champ

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CubeTheory posted:

hello

did you upgrade it for any game in particular?

metal arms: glitch in the system

and drakengard 3

that's a slight joke answer but i definitely have really wanted to play these games, i haven't played metal arms in years and drakengard 3 just straight-up runs better on an emulator than it does on a ps3 lol. but there's lots of other stuff i wanna play, like revisiting nier automata and actually playing witcher 3

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Finished Iconoclasts.

It remained incomprehensible to the very end, not because it was ever truly confusing as to what was happening but because no one in the game can seem to hold a simple conversation without being overwrought in the weirdest ways. I'm not sure if this is better or worse to straight up being bad; something like Freedom Planet I can just skip through all the plot and focus on the gameplay, but Iconoclasts struck this uncanny valley where I feel like I should be getting something out of all the :words: but I could never really pin down what sort of tone or intent I was supposed to glean from it, ultimately having it all serve as a distraction.

If the gameplay was superlative enough to make up for that it'd be one thing, but man is there some frustrating stuff here. The tweak system they have for upgrades is pretty loving weak, providing very little reason for implementing one upgrade over the other. They should have made some upgrades permanent, some upgrades equipable, and only SOME upgrades actually something you can lose by getting hit rather than all of them. As it was it was such a pain in the rear end trying to maintain a certain loadout because any advantages you'd have from the tweaks (innocuous stuff that you'd just want active all the time, like faster movement or stronger wrench attacks) were just going to be lost as soon as you brushed up against something. Which given how hard the game can be at times, was a near certainty. I'd make all upgrades permanent, and only have the Heart upgrades things that you can lose temporarily upon getting hit.

The boss battles are also designed bizarrely, where it's very difficult to discern what you're meant to do or when you do figure it out it's often just not very fun to pull off. At least the final boss was pretty good, I guess.

I don't know, I like these retro games but the gap between something like this and Shovel Knight feels gargantuan.

I'm playing through it now, just got to the tower.

I like the melodrama. It really reminds me of a Tales or Wild Arms game where the stakes are high but the tone is almost always lighthearted as people espouse nonsense words like they have some meaning to you at any point in the game. Even when a character is breaking down from PTSD there's still a lot of cute jokes and character tics without falling down the Whedon-esque hole of everyone having the snappiest comebacks. Even if it amounts to nothing there are callbacks to your choices and the game generally makes a good excuse for a mute character.

Totally agree on the tweaks being trash. I've enjoyed every boss so far except for the one you fight with Mina which I didn't die against but couldn't figure out where the gently caress it was appearing on some attacks so I just brute forced it. I'd say the game does a good job explaining its mechanisms. For example the boss where you have to switch between Mina and Robin looks complex but not five minutes ago you go through all the steps needed to damage it you just have to figure out how to dodge its attacks until that window opens.

It does suffer a bit from the long development cycle. Like the tweak system is very much inspired from Cave Story and I don't think anyone in 2019 will say "yeah, I loved Cave Story's degrading weapons."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

alright, now I've gone through claire B in OG RE2, now I can do the second run in the remake with no regrets.

Man that was way easier the second run, I was overflowing with ammo and health by the end.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

chumbler posted:

I don't know if the world is ready for fin dom Samus.

Samus keeps promising to pay back the wealthy person who keeps bailing her out by repairing her suit and ships, "When I make it big."

She's never gonna make it big.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

which is different from, like, snakebird primer, a snakebird prequel that literally was announced last night with no fanfare or build-up, and comes out in a couple of days.

woah, what?

when you say a prequel and it's called "primer" does that means it's supposed be easier as a means to ease you into the main game?

because i loved that game but gave up on it pretty quickly just because it blew my rear end out with those puzzles

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just me n the boys

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

What about a metroid game where Samus is actually a bounty hunter and has to go nab bounties but also toss in some boktai style "bring them back" poo poo and have you take their weaponry prime 2 style to outfit yourself with new gear to travel around further/faster/better

that’s just Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

that’s just Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath

Well half of Strangers Wrath.

Strangers Wrath is both incredibly good and incredibly bad about the other half. Definitely belongs on gamings best of lists for that transition.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

Well half of Strangers Wrath.

Strangers Wrath is both incredibly good and incredibly bad about the other half. Definitely belongs on gamings best of lists for that transition.

It's a great reveal though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
And even if the last area and final boss sucks, the actual ending is real good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

al-azad posted:

It's a great reveal though.

Thats why it belongs on lists. Its the best narrative shifts the gameplay moments in gaming for me because it is a ground up complete change and things that stop working remain their and that uselessness is in fact part of the games themes and point.

Its just, well if you liked the first half theres no guarantee youll like the second and you can spend much of the second half having a rougher time since you dont know its coming.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Colonel posted:

metal arms: glitch in the system

and drakengard 3

that's a slight joke answer but i definitely have really wanted to play these games, i haven't played metal arms in years and drakengard 3 just straight-up runs better on an emulator than it does on a ps3 lol. but there's lots of other stuff i wanna play, like revisiting nier automata and actually playing witcher 3

You're going to have to play Monster Hunter World now. It's the law.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
iconic video game vehicles

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I have had "Let's not break out the joy lube just yet" in my vernacular for fifteen years now.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
poo poo now I have to finally finish Strangers Wrath. Not that that is a challenge because that game owns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disposable Scud posted:

poo poo now I have to finally finish Strangers Wrath. Not that that is a challenge because that game owns.

Go finish it; its probably one of the 10 best games of its generation and the PS2 era was loving stacked with good games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
metal arms' environmental design is so good, really sells the game's weird alien robot wasteland setting

i hope some day i can set up a four player netplay match in this game's mp or something

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Remember how the devs if Metal Arms got bought by Blizzard to slave away in the Starcraft Ghost mines before Blizzard just caved it all in?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Phantasium posted:

woah, what?

when you say a prequel and it's called "primer" does that means it's supposed be easier as a means to ease you into the main game?

because i loved that game but gave up on it pretty quickly just because it blew my rear end out with those puzzles
that's exactly what it is

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAXIiEcrpdA

Well poo poo, I guess Nintendo now has to fund Shadows of the Damned 2.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Crabtree posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAXIiEcrpdA

Well poo poo, I guess Nintendo now has to fund Shadows of the Damned 2.

i am so happy to finally say this again:

suda51 what the gently caress are you doing

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

weird that they put out a trailer just to spoil one of the cooler reveals in the game

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

that's exactly what it is

fuckin' sick

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Am I the only person who thinks that monster hunter world is just sort of soulless and if you're not into diablo-style random rewards, it doesn't have a GOTY style hook? Like it's good! but I don't ever want to touch it again after the 30ish hours I put into it. I think I got as far as the poison cliffs area. I might have unlocked the swamp(?) after that and not played it.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I legitimately gave Iconoclasts story a shot but man I couldn't jam the X button fast enough by the end.

In addition to the problems with tweaks, I really just find it bizarre that a Metroidvania had like 4 upgrades throughout the whole thing.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
IIRC it didn't really start out as a Metroidvania, and the tweak system was added to give people something to unlock. The overall impression I get from both the game and from the dev's post-release postings is that he sorta spent the entire game's development being torn in all kinds of directions; from what he wanted to do to what the players would want to do, to what would make the game more successful... all sorts of things. He basically had a breakdown when it was finally released because it just sorta felt like a hole in his life to spend that much time on something. He's sworn off making indies of that scale again, and I'm not even sure how much its success/lack thereof (I'm not sure which) has to do with that.

The lead dev of Owlboy seems to have gone through a similar sorta feeling. Spending a decade+ on one game really isn't a good idea, even if it IS successful.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 19, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Especially if its not a very good game at the end

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

redreader posted:

Am I the only person who thinks that monster hunter world is just sort of soulless and if you're not into diablo-style random rewards, it doesn't have a GOTY style hook? Like it's good! but I don't ever want to touch it again after the 30ish hours I put into it. I think I got as far as the poison cliffs area. I might have unlocked the swamp(?) after that and not played it.

The appeal is in enjoying fighting the monsters and using the deep and varied weapons and making different builds. It's not really a Diablo style game outside of the very late game of gem drops and weapons from the KT siege. It's got some of the best progression through gaining skill and knowledge of the game of anything I've ever played. That being said, if it doesn't click for you, that's unlikely to change later.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pigbuster posted:

IIRC it didn't really start out as a Metroidvania, and the tweak system was added to give people something to unlock. The overall impression I get from both the game and from the dev's post-release postings is that he sorta spent the entire game's development being torn in all kinds of directions; from what he wanted to do to what the players would want to do, to what would make the game more successful... all sorts of things. He basically had a breakdown when it was finally released because it just sorta felt like a hole in his life to spend that much time on something. He's sworn off making indies of that scale again, and I'm not even sure how much its success/lack thereof (I'm not sure which) has to do with that.

The lead dev of Owlboy seems to have gone through a similar sorta feeling. Spending a decade+ on one game really isn't a good idea, even if it IS successful.

i mean otoh what else are you gonna do yknow

are you just gonna watch the netflix all night or something

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
frankly i'm disappointed they're doing an hd remake of rune factory 4. rune factory 3 would scale much better to a higher resolution, case in point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eternal Darkness 2 when?