Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

It was probably for medical reasons, can't have his brain being starved of oxygen for any longer, what with all of it going to his trousers due to driving a drat Lotus 25 on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Are the shots they show of cars whipping around tracks always them driving? It's always implied that it is, and in most episodes you can see them through the windows, but last week's episode with the Jag was pretty suspicious how every shot of the car racing from the outside during Clarkson's segment never clearly showed who was driving. I just wonder at their age if they're all still *that* good at driving that they can drive a hypercar around a track like a pro or if they just do clever cuts with professionals driving and the interior shots of them talking.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty sure they can still drive the cars, but it's not always going to be them. The director might want to get some better shots of the car driving and it's a waste of time to drag Jeremy or whoever back to the track when they can just hire a professional driver.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

explosivo posted:

Are the shots they show of cars whipping around tracks always them driving? It's always implied that it is, and in most episodes you can see them through the windows, but last week's episode with the Jag was pretty suspicious how every shot of the car racing from the outside during Clarkson's segment never clearly showed who was driving. I just wonder at their age if they're all still *that* good at driving that they can drive a hypercar around a track like a pro or if they just do clever cuts with professionals driving and the interior shots of them talking.

Its usually Jeremy, occasionally Richard and never James. At least thats what makes sense in my head canon.

bigpolar
Jun 19, 2003

DiggityDoink posted:

Its usually Jeremy, occasionally Richard and never James. At least thats what makes sense in my head canon.

And yet James is the one who took the actual racing school from the former F1 driver, and the sacked stig said he was the best racing driver of the 3 during the endurance race that they did in that diesel BMW.

Hard to reconcile that with the "Captain Slow" character he plays, I know.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

explosivo posted:

There was a Smoking Tire podcast with Tanner Faust and he mentioned that most of the action shots are pro drivers like himself, he mentioned a few Top Gear segments where he did the action shots for a car Clarkson was driving.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bigpolar posted:

And yet James is the one who took the actual racing school from the former F1 driver, and the sacked stig said he was the best racing driver of the 3 during the endurance race that they did in that diesel BMW.

Hard to reconcile that with the "Captain Slow" character he plays, I know.
In an endurance race in particular, careful driving is critical. As someone smarter than I once said, "to finish first, first you must finish."

I feel like Clarkson and to a lesser extent Hammond are more likely to get caught up in the moment racing against a single other driver they're close to at the time and make risky moves that are a lot more likely result in a crash or breaking the car than a meaningful gain in finishing position. May seems to be the one who'd be most able to put his emotions aside and race predictably + safely to keep the car in one piece.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That's a good episode and it's amazing how built up China is. It'll be interesting to see how well they maintain their infrastructure though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

CornHolio posted:

That's a good episode and it's amazing how built up China is. It'll be interesting to see how well they maintain their infrastructure though.
I suspect that one decently strong earthquake will reduce most of if to rubble.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

laughed when hammond said the northstar was a good engine, laughed even harder when he (presumably) blew the head gasket.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

nmfree posted:

Is China particularly geologically active? I wonder how well that infrastructure was designed and how well it was actually built considering the speed at which it was designed and put up and that apparently drainage was not something that got a lot of attention on that one road they highlighted. The price of that 'red flag' at the beginning is astounding though, it just seems really underwhelming for the cost.

Cool episode for sure, and even the obvious gag at the end was done well enough I thought.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Bajaha posted:

The price of that 'red flag' at the beginning is astounding though, it just seems really underwhelming for the cost.

The cost is the point with something like that, though, right? If you charge enough for something, someone will buy it. Vertu is a good example.

nmfree posted:

The elevated motorway at the one hour mark definitely filled me with anxiety. I'm not an engineer, but it looked pretty dicey. Like, it doesn't seem like it could withstand any lateral load.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

The cost is the point with something like that, though, right? If you charge enough for something, someone will buy it. Vertu is a good example.

The elevated motorway at the one hour mark definitely filled me with anxiety. I'm not an engineer, but it looked pretty dicey. Like, it doesn't seem like it could withstand any lateral load.

Yeah all of those elevated roadways would have me making GBS threads in my pants while driving on them.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They sure look cool. That was probably considered easier than cutting into the landscape to build roads.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Powershift posted:

laughed when hammond said the northstar was a good engine, laughed even harder when he (presumably) blew the head gasket.

Are there any functional Northstars still on the road?

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The China stuff was cool but I wish they had done it with local cars.

If they built those highways with no drainage they will fall down from simple use before an earthquake

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Thank you for bringing back cheap car challenges six days after I asked, fellas.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah all of those elevated roadways would have me making GBS threads in my pants while driving on them.

There's also a non-zero chance they're made of literal garbage:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Powershift posted:

All I know about that engine I read here and was thinking uh, is that even true throughout that episode. Glad to see you lot were right. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

All I know about that engine I read here and was thinking uh, is that even true? throughout that episode. Glad to see you lot were right. :v:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For anyone who's mildly curious, Hammond's car needed new brake pads and an oil change.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I loved the "long car" joke in this one. Brilliantly done.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

This is an episode behind, but I identify strongly with Hammond's horse-wife rant.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol this is funnier in context with Hammond's line about the engine being able to run for 100 miles without coolant.

quote:

Many Northstar engines became well known for their tendencies to experience head gasket failure. The issue manifested itself not as a "true" head gasket failure, but as a head bolt failure. The problem would occur when the engine, being of an aluminum construction, ran hot for periods of time; the head bolts would "pull" out of the "softer" aluminum block (as compared to iron blocks), resulting in a loss of coolant into the combustion chamber.

Also, how many Monty Python lines can Jeremy fit into each episode?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

New season of Top Gear started today on BBC2. I missed it so I'll catch the rerun tomorrow.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I was quite happy to watch both of my Northstars go to the scrap yard.

When it first came out, amazing engine. If only GM spent...oh...let's say $20 more on it...

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Watched new old top gear:

During that whole garbage suzuki review I wished I was watching chris harris buy two kick rear end second hand vehicles with 100K pounds.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Qmass posted:

Watched new old top gear:

During that whole garbage suzuki review I wished I was watching chris harris buy two kick rear end second hand vehicles with 100K pounds.

Yeah, I feel bad for Rory getting stuck with all the worst reviews. Sure he sometimes get good ones (like that Japanese :rice: review), but he gets ALL the bad ones.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
New series of so-called Top Gear looks like it's going to be fun. The Rory/Sabine hill climb was classic.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Watching this China episode and a bit baffled by what all the white stuff is on their cars that they haven't mentioned. Is it bird poo poo that they're not cleaning off?

the guy from Semisonic
Jan 13, 2006

Let's kick some gigabutt!

Bleak Gremlin

Femtosecond posted:

Watching this China episode and a bit baffled by what all the white stuff is on their cars that they haven't mentioned. Is it bird poo poo that they're not cleaning off?

Are you talking about the remnants and scorch marks from the fireworks?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

the guy from Semisonic posted:

oh hahahah yeah of course. I completely forgot about that segment because I was cooking dinner while that was going on.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

the guy from Semisonic posted:

I wish that part had been longer. It sounds awesome.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Some of the China special was tiresome but watching Hammonds Northstar explode and then 3-wheeled piece of poo poo roll down the cliff was worth it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
That was a beautiful and amazing episode and some beautiful cars. I really loved Richard's long and curvy penis and hope to see it in person someday.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

CornHolio posted:

That was a beautiful and amazing episode and some beautiful cars. I really loved Richard's long and curvy penis and hope to see it in person someday.

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Automotive Insanity › Top Gear/ The Grand Tour: I hope to see Richard's long and curvy penis in person someday.

Also, that was a very good episode.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Would definitely like to ride that penis someday.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I have been to that quaint fishing village near Inverness and even back then I thought, say what you like about wind turbines ruining the landscape, it's not like these oil rigs are doing much for the looks of the Cromarty Firth.

I have also been to Inverness and even stood in that same spot where they ended, and that weather was definitely a statistical anomaly.

Great episode, nothing felt forced like GT sometimes does, amazing scenery, it had a real classic Top Gear feeling to it. Have we ever seen Hammond yelling at CLARKSON before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I also liked how they didn’t totally destroy the cars like they usually do. You got the feeling that they really did enjoy them and genuinely thought of them as under appreciated classics. I love that Alpha.