Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Made of Meat

Tahini isn't particulary perishable. You can keep it unrefrigerated for a very long time, and presumably refrigeration will increase that.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Tahini is literally just ground sesame seeds. A little oil to emulsify, maybe. Since you are grinding them anyway, the difference is there is no difference, it's the same thing.

Manifisto

tahini is a spoiled brat sometimes but it's mostly due to insecurities stemming from her parents' obvious preference for her sister, kamilah

ty nesamdoom!

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

joke_explainer posted:

Tahini is literally just ground sesame seeds. A little oil to emulsify, maybe. Since you are grinding them anyway, the difference is there is no difference, it's the same thing.

And since there is also all that olive oil in the blender, voila, tahini being made in situ.

It is a win win situation for everyone.

Poise
I just found this thread I made seared scallops with a parmesan polenta and a little arugula salad on top, and some sautéed mushrooms there hiding in the back just because I had them around :banjo:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

FutonForensic

legendary scallops

Robot Made of Meat

Poise posted:

I just found this thread I made seared scallops with a parmesan polenta and a little arugula salad on top, and some sautéed mushrooms there hiding in the back just because I had them around :banjo:

Why are you serving it on an early 80s waterbed?

Just kidding. It looks delicious.

And I miss my waterbed.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.

420 broil it seafood doria

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Manifisto

as threatened, I made some canelés using the food wishes recipe I posted.

fancy-ish ingredients, including that farmer's market beeswax (I only used a little bit of it in the recipe):

the interior:

did these taste really good? yes! were they as good as the ones from the highfalutin' bakery? not quite. the exterior was nice and crispy but there was just a hint of char there, if I do them again I will moderate the oven just a tad for the initial 10 minute high heat baking period, and check on them a few minutes earlier.

thank you bees for your efforts, they are appreciated as always

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

they look good! hey did you *asks a bunch of detailed questions*

Manifisto: none of your beeswax

Goons Are Gifts

Oh my God they look so gorgeous. How long did it take in total?

Manifisto

Goons Are Great posted:

Oh my God they look so gorgeous. How long did it take in total?

thanks! I'd say they took no more than an hour and a half including gathering ingredients, cooling, all that jazz. and the majority of that time is baking time, i.e., free for other stuff.

Manifisto

Manifisto posted:

tahini is a spoiled brat sometimes but it's mostly due to insecurities stemming from her parents' obvious preference for her sister, kamilah

by the way - no good place fans here I see, or if there are they were too tactful to comment

pile of brown
The real bad place is the puns we make along the way

Manifisto

pile of brown posted:

The real bad place is the puns we make along the way coupons & deals

ty nesamdoom!

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
Yesterday, kind of out of a lack of ingredients in my house, I made a dish that I had read about, mostly in a derisive context:

Tater tot casserole

Only instead of Tater Tots, I used Papas Duquesas, and it wasn't as much of a "casserole", as I added some mushrooms to them, spiced them up, then melted some cheese over them and added an avocado.

I would recommend this, because it has a simple starchy base but you can do all sorts of things with it.

Manifisto

glowing-fish posted:

Yesterday, kind of out of a lack of ingredients in my house, I made a dish that I had read about, mostly in a derisive context:

Tater tot casserole

Only instead of Tater Tots, I used Papas Duquesas, and it wasn't as much of a "casserole", as I added some mushrooms to them, spiced them up, then melted some cheese over them and added an avocado.

I would recommend this, because it has a simple starchy base but you can do all sorts of things with it.

tell me more about these "papas duquesas". I mean, I can google them and see what they look like, but are these something you buy premade or do you make them? how do they compare to tater tots?

ty nesamdoom!

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

Manifisto posted:

tell me more about these "papas duquesas". I mean, I can google them and see what they look like, but are these something you buy premade or do you make them? how do they compare to tater tots?

Papas Duquesas or Duchess Potatoes, are basically mashed potatoes that are then reconstituted into little balls an inch across. So they are a little bit different in texture, but they are still a potato type meal made from potato parts, and they taste and serve the same culinary purpose as the tater tot. It is possible to make Papas Duquesas, and many of those recipes probably do make them different in taste and texture, like ones that use lots of onions and olive oil, but mine are just the kind I get in the Wal-Mart freezer.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
What if I made noodles (the normal way), then baked the cooked noodles together with the Papas Duquesas? Like a bed of noodles and potato parts together?

Manifisto

glowing-fish posted:

What if I made noodles (the normal way), then baked the cooked noodles together with the Papas Duquesas? Like a bed of noodles and potato parts together?

I believe that would violate pastafarian kosher

ty nesamdoom!

Robot Made of Meat

glowing-fish posted:

I dare you to do this.

And then take pictures.

And then send me some.

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

Robot Made of Meat posted:

I dare you to do this.

And then take pictures.

And then send me some.

I will, now I have to do it because I have promised my posting pals.

Poise
here's some chicken marsala I made and yes I served it with parmesan and yes I served it with pasta because i'm not a pretentious rear end in a top hat who would serve it over potatoes or something stupid like that

Poise fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 25, 2019

----------------

poverty goat

It's shakshouka day

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 25, 2019

poverty goat

It's also clean out the fridge and make vaguely hot and sour soup day

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 25, 2019

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,
Let me present to you: Noodle and Tater Tot* (Papas Duquesas) Hot Dish.

(Sorry about lighting)

I made this in a toaster oven with no guide how to make it, so it was really luck (and avocados) that made it as good as it was.

The recipe is like this: boil some noodles in a normal, noodle boiling manner. Since they are going to be baked for a while, boiling them until they are a bit softer makes sense.
While the noodles are boiling, bake some Tater Tots (or, in my case, Papas Duquesas). And for that matter, some mushrooms. (The mushrooms have to be added at a different time, depending on how cooked you want them to be). Cover them with whatever spices you want (I used oregano, perejil, paprika and sesame seeds). When the noodles have reached cookedness, and the Tater Tots are browned, add the noodles to the top of the Tater Tots, and add some spices to them (that is where I added some garlic). Let them bake a few minutes, then add some cheese. Finally, it is ready to eat! The exact moment of it being ready, and the hard part, is to make sure noodles and tots are both at peak texture for consumption. This is where I sprinkled on some parmesan. I added an avocado once it is in the bowl.

I was afraid it would not turn out good, but I managed to get the textures within an acceptable range. I found it to be quite good, but also maybe because I was hungry.

The biggest problem was that my Papas Duquesas were not browned all the way when I dumped the noodles on top of them, and covered by still moist noodles, they didn't have a chance to brown. I would have cooked them until they were more clearly crisp, probably.

joke_explainer

Poise your food is beautiful. Those scallops could stand a bit more color but maybe it’s just the photo

Poise

joke_explainer posted:

Poise your food is beautiful. Those scallops could stand a bit more color but maybe it’s just the photo

Thank you ill post some more food pics sometime I made a shepherds pie the other day because I got sick of restaurant and grocery store shephards pie that uses ground beef instead of lamb and I wanted the real deal shephards pie and not a cottage pie

I feel like I just typed "shephards pie" a lot :protarget:

----------------

Poise
Here's my shepherd's pie:

(look how I used a safety sheet tray in case the filling bubbled up and overflowed but it didn't because I made a solid shepherd's pie :3:)

here's how the inside looked, there's no super glamorous way to take a picture of a cooked shepherd's pie interior, so spoilered:

a little trick I did to get the mashed potatoes to form a crust on top: mixed an egg yolk into those taters before pie assemblage and baking

:banjo:

----------------

Goons Are Gifts

I am very jealous right now, that looks amazing

Manifisto

that does look good! I may have to try to whip up a meatless shepherd's pie and see how it comes out

I mean, I'm sure it will be amazing, it's just the implicit comparison to the meaty version

ty nesamdoom!

pile of brown

Poise posted:

a little trick I did to get the mashed potatoes to form a crust on top: mixed an egg yolk into those taters before pie assemblage and baking

You can use cheese for the same effect

poverty goat

Poise posted:

here's how the inside looked, there's no super glamorous way to take a picture of a cooked shepherd's pie interior, so spoilered:

never apologize for good food

glowing-fish

Keep grinding,

poverty goat posted:

never apologize for good food

What if you just spilled it in someone's lap?

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Manifisto posted:

this is definitely the bad place.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

It's a source of pleasure to me that this thread keeps going strong.

Here is a thing I did.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
I’m dying to do that in my own kitchen

it’s been five years

please let me rest

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I’m dying to do that in my own kitchen

it’s been five years

please let me rest

Do it. It feels so good. Also all that ikea stuff was like $75 all in so there’s that

Manifisto

Bo-Pepper posted:

Do it. It feels so good. Also all that ikea stuff was like $75 all in so there’s that

what is the dixie cup on the wall for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Manifisto posted:

what is the dixie cup on the wall for?

I put garlic in there