Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Pirate Radar posted:

Bottas did 69 laps in the first day of testing

Who’s lap was he 69ing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

So, the rear wing lights are also green for non-super-license drivers.

this is important!

e: also imagine driving an F1 car for the first time and binning it in the very first minute of testing. poor guy.

ee: oh, I got my gp2 tag back, thanks iospace :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The light strips on the rear wing look :cool:

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Thanks Ants posted:

The light strips on the rear wing look :cool:

they should go down the whole edge imo, go full tron

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sha had yo correct the car. Slippery conditions at Cataluña

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Buxton just said his inside sources tell him that the McLaren is ~2 seconds slower than the team was expecting. And the lights on the rear wing endplates are blinking out of sync.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rhopunzel posted:

they should go down the whole edge imo, go full tron

Agreed, go full IMSA

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

td4guy posted:

Buxton just said his inside sources tell him that the McLaren is ~2 seconds slower than the team was expecting. And the lights on the rear wing endplates are blinking out of sync.

loving lmao

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That seems unlikely unless they thought they were all of a sudden going to be on pace with Ferrari.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

As much as I'm anti-ferrari [because of all the ferrari shitposters in this thread] that is a drat good looking car.

For real. I was pretty anti-mercedes and all about the Poois jokes for a long time. After being constantly exposed to Gonzo's whiny bullshit and bad opinion propaganda I realized it was Ferrari who deserved my hate. I don't even have my own team anymore. I solely root for Ferrari failures.

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

Bonus post for Wirth, hot off le reddit presses.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Charles already fastest on the sf90 while whinny baby Hamilton feels that the w10 is different. Really bad form IMO?

Liberty attempts to turn Formula 1 into a poverty series continues

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/141610/f1-teams-will-use-standard-gearbox-from-2021

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 19, 2019

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Lol at thinking fastest laps matter in testing

The Ferrari does look quick though

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaedje posted:

Lol at thinking fastest laps matter in testing

The Ferrari does look quick though

its not the time per se, it how quickly and effortless the sf90 runs fast.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yes it looks to be a good car, like last year's that didn't win either championship.

Remarkably good levels of reliability so far in testing. We've had one McLaren stop (probably anti stall on a practice start and not really an issue) and one Renault rear wing failure, probably to do with the changes in the DRS putting more stress on the flap than expected. A couple of harmless spins and that's it.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

We also have Grosjean whining about everything, so I think the season is ready to start.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Lol renault have already tried to kill danny ric

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Norris doing good times on hard compound tyres, I think the McLaren might be ok. It's only going to be a second slower than the front runners instead of 1.5

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

pik_d posted:

Personally I'm shocked you can remember the year. Do you remember the date as well? Did it affect you that badly?

I moved that year after a friend died

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

DoctorGonzo posted:

i hope the season is so loving stupid and idiotic that everyone is angry except the fine posters of this thread

Hell, same

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

td4guy posted:

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and continue not trusting the same jabronis who spent the last four years telling me how stable McLaren looked through the corners

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Easy to look stable when you're not moving

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If the McLaren was two seconds faster than it is now it'd be considerably faster than the Ferrari. That 2s claim is clearly some crossed wires somewhere

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BubbaGrace posted:

Bonus post for Wirth, hot off le reddit presses.

Wow that is loving epic, maybe they should add the classic 'I was taking a poo poo' line at the bottom. Very cool!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Huh, so gearbox internals are going to be common and they’ve already issued a tender to bid. Kicks in 2021. External casing is still free to develop for your aero and suspension needs.

Oddly, they’re going from 8 gears to 7 gears.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

td4guy posted:

Benson said almost verbatim the exact same thing about Williams so I’m gonna wait and see and not take some shill journos at their word.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If I need to know the truth I go to Joes Award

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and continue not trusting the same jabronis who spent the last four years telling me how stable McLaren looked through the corners

That reminds me of an interview with Panis a couple of weeks ago. When he was test driver at McLaren, and had his first chance to test drive it, he came back into the pits because he thought something on the car broke. He got out of the car, and told the engineers that the car suddenly felt all over the place at the straight at high speed, and he was sure either some aero piece broke off, or the suspension broke or whatever.

While the engineers checked the car, Newey walked up to him and said "everything is fine....we have flexible wings, so the car looses most of the drag and downforce on long straights".

I have no idea what this has to do with the topic at hand, but I liked that story, so I wanted to share it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Wirth1000 posted:

Huh, so gearbox internals are going to be common and they’ve already issued a tender to bid. Kicks in 2021. External casing is still free to develop for your aero and suspension needs.

Oddly, they’re going from 8 gears to 7 gears.

Aren't all the ratios identical now anyway? Or did they just reduce the amount they were allowed to change them I forget.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Tsaedje posted:

If the McLaren was two seconds faster than it is now it'd be considerably faster than the Ferrari. That 2s claim is clearly some crossed wires somewhere

The anti-British Fake News factory is flooding the newswires. They don’t want you to hear about Our Theresa’s massive Brexit success!

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidpoocati posted:

Benson said almost verbatim the exact same thing about Williams so I’m gonna wait and see and not take some shill journos at their word.

Hmm yes yes hmmmm

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidpoocati posted:

Every single year in testing I'd listen to these asshats tell me that even though McLaren couldn't manage double digit laps over the entire day, and even though their times were dogshit slow, that it actually looked good through the corners and would be a fast car. And they sucked poo poo every year. And now they're doing 100+ laps and competitive lap times and suddenly they're telling me the car is two seconds off the pace, which is only really plausible if Sainz went out on the morning of the first day of testing with a new team and BEGAN with low fuel glory runs. No thanks, I will wait for Australia.

tuo posted:

That reminds me of an interview with Panis a couple of weeks ago. When he was test driver at McLaren, and had his first chance to test drive it, he came back into the pits because he thought something on the car broke. He got out of the car, and told the engineers that the car suddenly felt all over the place at the straight at high speed, and he was sure either some aero piece broke off, or the suspension broke or whatever.

While the engineers checked the car, Newey walked up to him and said "everything is fine....we have flexible wings, so the car looses most of the drag and downforce on long straights".

I have no idea what this has to do with the topic at hand, but I liked that story, so I wanted to share it.

Thank you, this is a good story.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

ilmucche posted:

Is there not still a transition period even in a no deal situation? Or are they turbo hosed because everyone is employed in the UK and will need visas to go back and forth?
Turbo hybrid hosed

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
after brexit the FIA should ban all british involvment in grand prix racing retroactively

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

How did fail France become the governing body

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Thanks Ants posted:

If I need to know the truth I go to Joes Award

how's that quantum money coming along?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

how's that quantum money coming along?

It neither exists nor doesn't exist

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'll buy some McLaren merch and some Alfa Merch this year. They both look good, and I want them to mix up the pack.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It neither exists nor doesn't exist

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Speed trap top five according to Sky:

1. Norris, McLaren-Renault, 337kph
2. Albon, Toro Rosso-Honda, 329kph
3. Giovinazzi, Alfa Romeo-Ferrari, 328kph
4. Bottas, Mercedes, 322kph
5. Leclerc, Ferrari, 321 kph

Makes sense to me that a team like McLaren, who had to pile on absurd amounts of downforce just to make it around the track last year, would start testing with a relatively low downforce package and work their way back up.