Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

My thought as a health physicist is that the worrying part of buckets of uranium ore would be radon if it's in a poorly-ventilated or below ground area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

cyberbug posted:

It's not just the Jews. Some creative rule interpretation from Muslims in Indonesia and Malaysia I've heard:
- If you drink booze in a room with no outside windows, god doesn't see it and it's ok
- If you drink booze from a cup that's not transparent, god doesn't see it and it's ok

That's not "creative rule interpretation," that's just pretending that God can't see through walls to spot you doing the thing he specifically forbade. That's stupid and I'd imagine pisses him off.

"Creative rule interpretation" is saying "well sure you aren't allowed to operate a machine on shabbos, but it doesn't say you can't stop operating a machine, does it? Well a button is a machine, certainly? So what if I made a telephone where all the buttons were always pressed why not, and you stick a pencil into a hole for each button to stop it from pressing, and that made the telephone make the call for you?"

That's clever and makes God happy.

Like, it's not like the Rabbis do the rules-lawyering just to make things easy on themselves. You aren't allowed to start a fire on the sabbath, but when electricity was new in the 1880s they could have easily said "well electricity isn't fire so obviously it's fine to use." But no, they carefully went through the literature and determined that electricity itself is not fire but electric sparks are, so you can't use any device that makes even tiny sparks, including electric motors or light switches. And so they invented pneumatically powered wheelchairs that run off scuba tanks and special non-sparking mercury switches and God was pleased.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

2. Depleted uranium is really not radioactive, because it's been depleted of the radioactive U235. It's actually kinda useful as radiation shielding as a result.

Except for neutron radiation. Please do not use U-238 as neutron radiation shielding.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I ain't afraid of no neutrons

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Lone Badger posted:

Except for neutron radiation. Please do not use U-238 as neutron radiation shielding.

U238 makes fantastic neutron radiation shielding! It stops those neutrons in their tracks! The plutonium it transmutes into and the associated beta decays are also very well shielded, but might be outside the scope of the shielding at that point.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
If nu-trons are anything like the rest of the nu-<music> scene it should be shot into the sun.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
That is the way they do the spark plugs in a Triton engine without the special tool

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

This meme appears broken. Where's the "what could possibly go wrong?" text?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

grillster posted:

That is the way they do the spark plugs in a Triton engine without the special tool

Is the special tool dynamite?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The dust is poisonous as gently caress and does all kinds of wonky poo poo to critical enzymes in your body when absorbed through the lungs or digestive tract. And breathing in dust would qualify as 'under your skin' which is why it's seen as such a bad industrial hazard at mines and in industry.

Uranium is also just toxic as a heavy metal, outside of the alpha radiation. In fact I think the heavy metal poisoning you get from ingesting it is far worse.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Delpino posted:

Was just coming here to post this.

"Stephenson said the containers were stored next to a taxidermy exhibit, where children on tours sometimes stopped for presentations, sitting next to uranium for 30 minutes or more. By his calculation, those children could have received radiation dosages in excess of federal safety standards within three seconds, and adults could have suffered dangerous exposure in less than a half-minute."
"Stephenson said they detected a low-level site within the building and traced it to the three buckets, which Park Service technicians had inexplicably returned to the building after dumping their contents."

After they dumped the uranium in the mine they brought the buckets back :psyduck:

nong
Apr 20, 2016

Never Forget
The Century Of National Humiliation.

So that's how he's so good at holding that hotdog.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Splicer posted:

"Stephenson said they detected a low-level site within the building and traced it to the three buckets, which Park Service technicians had inexplicably returned to the building after dumping their contents."

After they dumped the uranium in the mine they brought the buckets back :psyduck:

I don’t think that dumping in in an abandoned mine is really going to hurt anyone, but it sounds really bad and whatever the correct procedure for dealing with radioactive specimens is, that’s not it.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
This thread makes me want to buy a Geiger counter.
I don't even understand how they work but pointing at things and finding out how radioactive they are sounds like a fun way to learn.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Platystemon posted:

I don’t think that dumping in in an abandoned mine is really going to hurt anyone, but it sounds really bad and whatever the correct procedure for dealing with radioactive specimens is, that’s not it.

It was probably an abandoned Uranium mine. There's one right in the park, near Grand Canyon Village.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Platystemon posted:

abandoned mines radioactive or not, are singlehandedly responsible for many a chemist's lifetime job security hope this helps

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

thatguy posted:

abandoned mines radioactive or not, are singlehandedly responsible for many a chemist's lifetime job security hope this helps

many non-abandoned mines too

my grandma worked her whole life as a chemist for a mine

also it was a uranium mine and apparently they are extra bad because of the chemicals used

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Private Speech posted:

many non-abandoned mines too

my grandma worked her whole life as a chemist for a mine

also it was a uranium mine and apparently they are extra bad because of the chemicals used
On a scale of hawkeye to hulk how super-powered are you

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Splicer posted:

On a scale of hawkeye to hulk how super-powered are you

Not very I'm afraid.

She did once accidentally put concentrated lye into her mouth when she confused it with drinking water though, that was fairly OSHA.

e:
She had to be fed intravenously for a week to allow it to heal, but she's made a full recovery including taste.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Feb 19, 2019

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Private Speech posted:

Not very I'm afraid.

She did once accidentally put concentrated lye into her mouth when she confused it with drinking water though, that was fairly OSHA.

e:
She had to be fed intravenously for a week to allow it to heal, but she's made a full recovery including taste.

Does she still swear after having a mouth full of soap?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Lurking Haro posted:

Does she still swear after having a mouth full of soap?

She's a very polite person so maybe it did help.

Occasionally casually racist when drunk, but hey what can you do she's really old.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

This thread makes me want to buy a Geiger counter.
I don't even understand how they work but pointing at things and finding out how radioactive they are sounds like a fun way to learn.

Start with bananas

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BattleMaster posted:

1.6 to 1 is a lot lower than many of the others but it's not super damning since it's still better than the 1 to 1 ratio in the general public.

I'm actually kind of surprised chemistry and geoscience are so high because you'd think they'd be all gently caress yeah oil

edit: or maybe it's just chemical engineers that like to guzzle the oil?

Also maybe don't strip out hardware interlocks even if you think your software is perfect, because maybe you don't want to be counting nickels and dimes when speccing out something that shoots radiation into people

Oil is very nutritious I'll have you know. Anybody need a refinery designed? (I have never worked in my degree field since my senior internship at Dow)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Splicer posted:

Which means that they must have just dumped the contents out of the buckets probably creating a bunch of dust clouds :stonk:

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 19, 2019

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Missing Roundabout.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

*record scratch* Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Platystemon posted:

they're just putting it back where it came from though. northern arizona is full of uranium. there are creeks around the canyon that have warning signs saying not to drink from them because they're contaminated with radioisotopes.

literally inside the grand canyon there are several of these tall cylindrical pillars:

they are like that because they're made of uranium ore (i.e. still sandstone, but with a higher than normal proportion of uranium) and the increased density makes them more resistant to erosion. they are mildly radioactive. tens of thousands of people walk by them every year.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 19, 2019

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Even a chunk of pure uranium metal the size of your fist isn't appreciably radioactive. You're way more likely to suffer health consequences from breathing in the ore dust than you are sitting next to a paperweight made from it.

Also, federal safety standards are hilariously conservative, having a basement in certain parts of the country with decomposed granite will exceed the federal limits quite handily.

That's good to know. My uncle gave me a little chunk of uranium ore in a glass jar. Told me not to leave it next to the TV because it might hurt the TV somehow. ??? One day I took it to show-and-tell at school and they freaked out and put it in the office until the end of the day. I suppose a glass jar could be dangerous around a bunch of rowdy kids.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Sagebrush posted:

they're just putting it back where it came from though. northern arizona is full of uranium. there are creeks around the canyon that have warning signs saying not to drink from them because they're contaminated with radioisotopes.

literally inside the grand canyon there are several of these tall cylindrical pillars:

they are like that because they're made of uranium ore (i.e. still sandstone, but with a higher than normal proportion of uranium) and the increased density makes them more resistant to erosion. they are mildly radioactive. tens of thousands of people walk by them every year.

So no mans sky is real, you do walk around and see huge dong shaped outcrops of special ore.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
So there's this thing called In-situ leaching. It's a common way of mining uranium. What you do is, you identify a uranium sandstone rollfront deposit and you set up a plant whereby you pump acid into the "upstream" part of the deposit, then recover the acid after it has leached out the metal "downstream".

Radioactive acids, what could go wrong?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Memento posted:

So there's this thing called In-situ leaching. It's a common way of mining uranium. What you do is, you identify a uranium sandstone rollfront deposit and you set up a plant whereby you pump acid into the "upstream" part of the deposit, then recover the acid after it has leached out the metal "downstream".

Radioactive acids, what could go wrong?

My highschool chemistry teacher told us about "future problems." One of them was a build up of acids in old abandon mines. I think this is a problem with all manner of mines though, the radioactive version sounds lovely.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

LifeSunDeath posted:

My highschool chemistry teacher told us about "future problems." One of them was a build up of acids in old abandon mines. I think this is a problem with all manner of mines though, the radioactive version sounds lovely.

Oh yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4nZDSLdIiM

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Lol, some people managed to crash a JLG into a crane today and didn’t report it plus did a poo poo coverup, thereby escalating what would have been no big deal (probably some drug tests but that’s it) into “y’all getting fired when we check the tapes and find out who did it”

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Someone managed to crumple the safety grille (or whatever the bit on the picture below is called in English) on a forklift in our warehouse and told no-one. It's made out of 5 or 6 mm flats so I have no idea how someone managed to completely squish it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Someone managed to crumple the safety grille (or whatever the bit on the picture below is called in English) on a forklift in our warehouse and told no-one. It's made out of 5 or 6 mm flats so I have no idea how someone managed to completely squish it.

you got another fork lift, you think maybe they tried to pick it up and the load weight crushed it?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LifeSunDeath posted:

you got another fork lift, you think maybe they tried to pick it up and the load weight crushed it?

I don't see how anyone could've gotten so much of the weight on the grille.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
lol if you didn't grow up with a bedroom in a basement swimming in radon.