Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Black King Conga posted:

You guys think Diablo 3 for 40 bucks is a good deal? I'm making a choice between that or DK Tropical Freeze and can't decide which one to get.

Tropical Freeze IMO. It's the best side-scrolling platformer Nintendo has made in decades, and the ultra-hard levels are all optional bonus affairs for completionists.

Diablo 3 is cool and all, and all accounts point to it being very suitable for handheld, bite-sized play on the go, but $40 is still a hefty Switch Tax for a game that came out in 2011 and is currently on sale for $20 on other consoles (and probably even less on PC.) Trust that it will be cheaper sooner rather than later, while Tropical Freeze will not be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Stanley Parable is getting a port and that's Source.
The console version is being remade in Unity.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, none of the solutions for my joycon issue worked, so I decided to use it as a trial run for doing the shell swap. Figured I couldn't hurt it if it was already broken.

While I was in there, I cleaned the rail with alcohol, and I cleaned the contacts for the ribbon cables. I also, due to the process of doing the swap, had to disconnect the battery and reconnect it.

Something in that process fixed the issue, as the Switch is now fully recognizing the Joycon, properly reading its power level, and charging it.

So now I've got one atomic purple joycon :v:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Annath posted:

So, none of the solutions for my joycon issue worked, so I decided to use it as a trial run for doing the shell swap. Figured I couldn't hurt it if it was already broken.

While I was in there, I cleaned the rail with alcohol, and I cleaned the contacts for the ribbon cables. I also, due to the process of doing the swap, had to disconnect the battery and reconnect it.

Something in that process fixed the issue, as the Switch is now fully recognizing the Joycon, properly reading its power level, and charging it.

So now I've got one atomic purple joycon :v:

:toot:

The left one is the easier one, unfortunately. The right one is a lot fiddlier but with some patience it can be done!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I’m proud of you, Annath.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

This is some loving "The Ultimate Final Battle of an Anime Series" level poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Listening to the endgame t99 music on loop to become immune to its pressure

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I just realized that it's like a Tetris theme/Flight of the Bumblebees mashup.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

From the same person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3HOoMuYg-k

Builds a minecraft creeper face with empty blocks then wins without ever clearing those lines.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

repiv posted:

From the same person:

Builds a minecraft creeper face with empty blocks then wins without ever clearing those lines.

Truly, there are Gods that walk alongside mortals...

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mahoning posted:

I just realized that it's like a Tetris theme/Flight of the Bumblebees mashup.

I hear "In the Hall of the Mountain King" but not sure why

repiv posted:

From the same person:

oh my fuk

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

The Switch is the console for pro gamers

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

wait what the gently caress, you can hold pieces? :stare: how did I not know this

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I will never win in this game

repiv posted:

From the same person:

I really will never win in this game :stonk:

Also speaking of Diablo 3, the Switch version at $40 is a drat good deal if you want the definite version to play the game. As a pick up and go platform, the Switch literally lets you bring the switch from sleep, start and do a rift in a couple of minutes, then put it back to sleep and repeat throughout the day without having to reload characters or the game. It’s insane how fun Diablo 3 on the go is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

gey muckle mowser posted:

wait what the gently caress, you can hold pieces? :stare: how did I not know this

You didnt know it because there is no tutorial and the game is really bad at explaining itself.

Also, T99 is potentially the most stressful game ever made

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Set your target to attackers, try to keep your board reasonably clear, and if possible save your I-blocks for garbage emergencies and you should win eventually even if it's a matter of luck.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

repiv posted:

From the same person:

I saw the angel in the blocks, and dropped until I set him free.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Is there a tangible benefit to getting t-spins? I usually only go for them out of necessity but this guy seems to be setting himself up for them on purpose

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I really will never win in this game :stonk:

Also speaking of Diablo 3, the Switch version at $40 is a drat good deal if you want the definite version to play the game. As a pick up and go platform, the Switch literally lets you bring the switch from sleep, start and do a rift in a couple of minutes, then put it back to sleep and repeat throughout the day without having to reload characters or the game. It’s insane how fun Diablo 3 on the go is.

Yup. I was playing D3 at work a little while back and a coworker asked what I was playing. When I said it was diablo 3 he as all :aaaaa:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think a t-spin clearing two lines sends more trash than a normal two-line clear. Maybe even a lot more? I feel like I read it somewhere this week.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Huxley posted:

I think a t-spin clearing two lines sends more trash than a normal two-line clear. Maybe even a lot more? I feel like I read it somewhere this week.

T-Spin lines send double the amount of trash they would normally send I think. So a double would send 4, which is the same as a Tetris.

Also long single line clear combos send exponentially more trash as well but I haven't any hard numbers, but poo poo starts getting crazy when people can rack up 6+ combos.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Orange Crush Rush posted:

T-Spin lines send double the amount of trash they would normally send I think. So a double would send 4, which is the same as a Tetris.

Also long single line clear combos send exponentially more trash as well but I haven't any hard numbers, but poo poo starts getting crazy when people can rack up 6+ combos.

Also clearing the whole board is a huge garbage dump on someone

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just got the Genki adapter for my Airpods. Pairing was very easy and the sound quality via the AAC codec sounds really good. Output lag isn't too bad either. Only tried it briefly though. I'd be slightly worried about the connector on it, it seems a bit flimsy.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Purchased NSMBU Deluxe and Tropical Freeze just because I'm a bit burned out on Let's Go and Odyssey at the moment, and I need something nice and light in between Doom sessions and...these platformers, especially Tropical Freeze, are really good. Any other good side scrolling platformers you all can recommend on the Switch?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

notthegoatseguy posted:

Purchased NSMBU Deluxe and Tropical Freeze just because I'm a bit burned out on Let's Go and Odyssey at the moment, and I need something nice and light in between Doom sessions and...these platformers, especially Tropical Freeze, are really good. Any other good side scrolling platformers you all can recommend on the Switch?

Celeste

ok it's not side-scrolling I guess but it owns and is the best platformer on the console

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Shovel Knight and Celeste.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Wamdoodle posted:

I hear "In the Hall of the Mountain King" but not sure why

There's a riff that my brain interprets as the Castlevania 1 boss theme

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

Rayman Legends

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't know anything about scalebound but I will buy any Platinum game.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You didnt know it because there is no tutorial and the game is really bad at explaining itself.

Also, T99 is potentially the most stressful game ever made

I honestly was afraid I was going to have a heart attack during my very first game of T99.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

All I know about Scalebound is that it’s perfect for the Switch.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not only have you been able to hold pieces in Tetris for over 20 years, the game very clearly shows a hold well with the associated button press labeled.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

gey muckle mowser posted:

Celeste

ok it's not side-scrolling I guess but it owns and is the best platformer on the console

I mean, sometimes you can scroll in more directions than "to the right" but it's definitely a side-scroller.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

He got a bit lucky with the RNG at 52 and also that he had the right type of piece held. But otherwise pretty impressive.

repiv posted:

From the same person:

But this is way more impressive because you've got way less screen space to work with and I don't know how he doesn't just fill in the gaps out of instinct.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Where'd the Scalebound rumor spring from anyway? Some insider says Nintendo is resurrecting some dead IP, and everyone's going 'must be Scalebound'?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

SettingSun posted:

Where'd the Scalebound rumor spring from anyway? Some insider says Nintendo is resurrecting some dead IP, and everyone's going 'must be Scalebound'?

Actually most people have been speculating Half Life 3

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Some random article yesterday that was "confirmed" by a game journalist on Twitter to have heard the samething at least a year ago but thinking it was bullshit at the time never said anything.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

repiv posted:

From the same person:

I watched this for like 5 minutes and thought it was mildly impressive before the very first lines of garbage spawned in and then I realized that they basically had to furiously negate any incoming garbage before it showed up because once it did it was impossible to get rid of.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

SettingSun posted:

Some guy made up a rumor about "Nintendo bringing back a previously cancelled game" and then some other guy took that and said "that previously cancelled game is Scalebound".

Both guys have beards and glasses and are kinda pudgy and pale and run Nintendo Rumor websites with unverified twitter handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Actually, alanah pearce is a woman.

https://www.twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1097609015855476736