Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Oddworld Inhabitants are working on an actual new game as well, aren't they? I swear I've watched videos of presentations about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can't tell if the bosses in DQ Builders genuinely suck or if it's just the psychological effect of them destroying the town I've built up over the past few hours.

I think the bird one definitely sucks though.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZe9YxJNs48

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

i wish desmume's upscaling wasn't so assy in terms of performance cause drat

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I can't tell if the bosses in DQ Builders genuinely suck or if it's just the psychological effect of them destroying the town I've built up over the past few hours.

I think the bird one definitely sucks though.

All the fights where there are enemies that can destroy your town suck.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Eternal Darkness 2 when?

never

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I watched the ballad of buster scruggs and man, I love coen brothers films, and I enjoyed that film, but I'm definitely feeling a lot of different emotions because of it. Definitely ended up going in a way different direction than I was initially expecting. Like, drat.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I watched the ballad of buster scruggs and man, I love coen brothers films, and I enjoyed that film, but I'm definitely feeling a lot of different emotions because of it. Definitely ended up going in a way different direction than I was initially expecting. Like, drat.

I didn’t like that it treats native Americans as bloodthirsty savages, I thought we were done with that poo poo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I was going to try and 100% Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction but the shooter sections broke me :(

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I didn’t like that it treats native Americans as bloodthirsty savages, I thought we were done with that poo poo

I can't really say anything about that other than I agree but I also can't really do a good job saying anything else about it other than "I don't like that, they should have done something else maybe"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'd still put Eternal Darkness 2's chances of getting made ahead of Half-Life 3 on the pyramid of Games That Will Never Be Made.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
we don't talk about shadow of the eternals

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I can't really say anything about that other than I agree but I also can't really do a good job saying anything else about it other than "I don't like that, they should have done something else maybe"

I did really like the movie as a whole as well, for what it’s worth. The format (very short stories that aren’t connected besides thematically and setting-wise) means it’s consistently surprising

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'd still put Eternal Darkness 2's chances of getting made ahead of Half-Life 3 on the pyramid of Games That Will Never Be Made.

Oh for sure

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

I did really like the movie as a whole as well, for what it’s worth. The format (very short stories that aren’t connected besides thematically and setting-wise) means it’s consistently surprising

I was largely surprised because the film was sold to me as "what if that seth mcfarlane cowboy movie was good" and instead it ended up as... well, something entirely different.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

"what if that seth mcfarlane cowboy movie was good" and instead it ended up as... well, something entirely different.

Speaking of...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm2szuXKgL8

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anthem looks like it's gonna get critically savaged and not even in a "flawed but shows promise" way like Destiny or The Division. :rip: Bioware.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's been something of a constant wet fart, even after the initial reveal.

Like I can't legitimately remember anyone being actually excited for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

Thank you for this post because it convinced me to look up the plot and then to never watch this film because its so explicitly not for me its not even funny.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

More Switch disappointments... not only does it turn out you have to pay for Nintendo online stuff to play Tetris 99, but now I can't find how to change the temperature display in Breath of the Wild from farenheiht to celcius

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Jay Rust posted:

Is that worse than Bone Tomahawk where there's apparently a cannibal troglodyte clan of native Americans that they first learn about from another native professor that calls them savages?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really love his argument at the end because you totally can't have a black lead and a black supporting actor in the same Hollywood film without it becoming a "black film" even though Bad Boys made a bajillion dollars.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Is that worse than Bone Tomahawk where there's apparently a cannibal troglodyte clan of native Americans that they first learn about from another native professor that calls them savages?

No. But Bone Tomahawk's director has a known history of being a racist weirdo I think, so in that case at least it wasn't surprising.

Edit: Wait Tomahawk was his first movie. So I guess it was the start of the trend. Either way it's a little worse coming from directors I actually like.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 19, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I really wish it was a black lead. There was an unspoken subtext that there was a disproportionate number of black people who escaped from the Matrix because they were more likely to feel dissatisfaction with the system they were living in and try to find ways out

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Anthem looks like it's gonna get critically savaged and not even in a "flawed but shows promise" way like Destiny or The Division. :rip: Bioware.

I didn't expect so many indifferent, largely fatigued reviews about it so far but I guess people are burnt out from so much bullshit Destiny put them through that there's gonna be little to no patience for another game that goes through the infinite loop of "gently caress up a thing, fix a thing, gently caress up again, fix a thing again" in a console MMO

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The big difference for me, based on the demo, is that Anthem isn't really interesting to play. The flying sucks, the guns felt anemic, the grenades/rockets were kind of just there. Whenever anyone got more than five feet away it threw me into a loading screen so I could catch up. Destiny actually feels really good to play in a way Anthem doesn't. Not that it was godawful or anything, but it's not anything I'm not waiting for a sale for.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://gematsu.com/2019/02/furi-studio-the-game-bakers-announces-adventure-rpg-haven

Not what I'd have expected from the Furi people but it looks neat.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

Thank you for this post because it convinced me to look up the plot and then to never watch this film because its so explicitly not for me its not even funny.

Yeah I can totally understand. By the third vignette we started to realize that this wasn't going to continue being mostly comedy and, well, it was a thing.

I enjoyed it, but it was most definitely a strange kind of enjoyment since the film, near as I can tell, was more or less just dealing with how swiftly death can come and how life just doesn't always pan out no matter what you try to do and sometimes bad things happen and we just wanna watch people go through these stories and watch their reactions as we try to relate their stories to our own and blah blah blah so on and so forth

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dragon Quest Builders would be better if enemies didn't do contact damage or your weapons were longer than a millimetre or the hit boxes weren't hosed up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Dragon Quest Builders would be better if enemies didn't do contact damage or your weapons were longer than a millimetre or the hit boxes weren't hosed up

Yeah

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I didn't expect so many indifferent, largely fatigued reviews about it so far but I guess people are burnt out from so much bullshit Destiny put them through that there's gonna be little to no patience for another game that goes through the infinite loop of "gently caress up a thing, fix a thing, gently caress up again, fix a thing again" in a console MMO

People have been much, much faster to notice and latch on to Anthem's (very deep) flaws than they were with Destiny, and I'm not sure if that's because they're worse or because they're just more immediately apparent than Destiny's. Or I suppose it's also possible people were just more vigilant for them because this is BioWare and EA we're talking about, and BioWare's just coming off a high-profile gently caress-up with Andromeda.

RBA Starblade posted:

The big difference for me, based on the demo, is that Anthem isn't really interesting to play. The flying sucks, the guns felt anemic, the grenades/rockets were kind of just there. Whenever anyone got more than five feet away it threw me into a loading screen so I could catch up. Destiny actually feels really good to play in a way Anthem doesn't. Not that it was godawful or anything, but it's not anything I'm not waiting for a sale for.

The loading screen thing is absolutely an issue, though I'd argue that the flying and combat are actually pretty good. The flying sucked in the demo if you used keyboard/mouse but they really did improve it a ton for launch.

Meanwhile, as for the grenades and rockets, they also made the mistake of giving you a pretty boring starting loadout in the demo and making it take hours to unlock a different javelin. That was maybe the biggest mistake in the demo that wasn't just a technical issue. They started you with an extremely straightforward set of abilities that made it look like everything you'd have would be generic shooter stuff but worse. As you find more gear, Ranger gets much more interesting and fun abilities, and the other three javelins have much cooler abilities right off the bat. They really should've let players pick their starting javelin in the demo and started us with a full selection of cool abilities to try.

(The guns still don't feel even half as good as Destiny, though I will say that for some reason there's a "bullet impact sound" slider in the options and turning that all the way up does improve things. I don't know why that's an option in the first place because turning it to max makes the guns feel better just by virtue of making your bullets sound much heavier when they hit an enemy.)

That said, I do want to say that I think the negative reviews are extremely fair. This game was not ready for prime time, its content is too threadbare to justify the number of load screens it makes you sit through, and it has some technical design decisions that just don't work at all and that I think need to be revised very quickly for this game to have any legs to stand on.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lTMiQsMH1g

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I got into Fallen London recently, is there a thread somewhere for this goofy browser game?

E: found it

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Feb 19, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dr Cheeto posted:

I got into Fallen London recently, is there a thread somewhere for this goofy browser game?

Right here, under its old name Echo Bazaar.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

mutata posted:

Oddworld Inhabitants are working on an actual new game as well, aren't they? I swear I've watched videos of presentations about it.

https://youtu.be/Wh_TfJUnLVg

Yes, Lanning has basically never liked the fact that his grand saga got derailed and basically stopped 2/5 of the way into it so they're remaking the second game but with the scope of the third one.

This is the same presentation where he shows off that not only are all the highest levels of villains in Oddworld "Cephalopod-based" which you can see when you play the games like especially the main baddie from Stranger's Wrath. But, BUT that the third highest rank on the pyramid of global power are "Globalist Bankers" and like...when you combine those two it feels, not the best combination...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Get Olivia Jaimes a forums account

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://youtu.be/Wh_TfJUnLVg

Yes, Lanning has basically never liked the fact that his grand saga got derailed and basically stopped 2/5 of the way into it so they're remaking the second game but with the scope of the third one.

This is the same presentation where he shows off that not only are all the highest levels of villains in Oddworld "Cephalopod-based" which you can see when you play the games like especially the main baddie from Stranger's Wrath. But, BUT that the third highest rank on the pyramid of global power are "Globalist Bankers" and like...when you combine those two it feels, not the best combination...
Lmao lanning is really bad at pitching in that video

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Get Olivia Jaimes a forums account
I already have one but thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Cold take here but I just started Spiderman and moving around in the game is a blast. There's probably a good effortpost about how movement in action games overall maybe kinda sucks but it's too much to unpack for a phone post.