Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is this worth taking to Apple? Will they do anything about this, or just tell me to fork over the cash for an out-of-warranty replacement?

The latter.

I had the same thing happen on a late 2013 15” a few years ago and they took care of it for free, but the Genius Bar told me it was a policy they had covering battery manufacturing defects for 3 years (above the regular 1 year warranty covering the rest of the computer). ITYOOL 2019, it’s unlikely your computer will qualify.

If you want to pay $200 to fix it and get a brand new top case as a bonus, take it in and ask to have the service written up as a battery replacement, not a repair.

MarcusSA posted:

Uh if the battery is swollen take it in or take the drat battery out.

also this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

eames posted:

2018 Mac minis have trouble with USB2/USB3 audio interfaces :sigh:
source

People have found a fix for this: turn off “Set date and time automatically” in System Preferences. It seems to be somehow related to the fact that the T2 chip works as the audio controller (not sure if this is true?). One of the comments mentions that you also have to turn off location detection in the time tab because these actions overload the USB bus whenever the T2 chip syncs, causing these dropouts.

cdm.link article posted:

The problem is, it appears that this new chip has introduced glitches on a wide variety of external audio hardware from across the pro audio industry, thanks to a bug in Apple’s software. When your Mac updates its system clock, dropouts and glitches appear in the audio stream. (Any hardware with a non-default clock source appears to be impacted. It’s a good bet that any popular external audio interface may exhibit the problem.)
The workaround is fairly easy: switch off “Set date and time automatically” in System Preferences.
http://cdm.link/2019/02/apple-2018-glitch/

eames fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Feb 19, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gruber gave the Mac a “D” on his annual report card

https://daringfireball.net/2019/02/my_2018_apple_report_card

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
lol @ Johnny Fireball.

eames
May 9, 2009

HN comment thread about the audio bug really makes me wonder, a bunch of people are posting because they thought the bug was about a blown speaker issue. I thought that was fixed ages ago?

i.e. here and here :psyduck:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

BobHoward posted:

The latter.

I had the same thing happen on a late 2013 15” a few years ago and they took care of it for free, but the Genius Bar told me it was a policy they had covering battery manufacturing defects for 3 years (above the regular 1 year warranty covering the rest of the computer). ITYOOL 2019, it’s unlikely your computer will qualify.

If you want to pay $200 to fix it and get a brand new top case as a bonus, take it in and ask to have the service written up as a battery replacement, not a repair.

also this

That’s what I was wondering. Batteries life degradation is normal, but is a battery swelling also normal?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PRADA SLUT posted:

That’s what I was wondering. Batteries life degradation is normal, but is a battery swelling also normal?

Hell loving no

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Lambert posted:

lol @ Johnny Fireball.

And yet, he's absolutely correct.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

It’s “normal” in that it’s not uncommon, but you don’t want to let it keep going. The battery is dying, the cells are giving off gas and expanding and it’s going to keep growing until it wrecks your laptop and possibly starts a fire.

It’s not “throw your laptop into a fire safe” kind of urgent thing but the longer you wait the more damage it will do.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Milkman posted:

And yet, he's absolutely correct.

With all the issues Apple computers have had this past year, a D seems very mild. And I disagree with the notion of the new Mac Mini being all that great, it's pretty bad for the price - especially with the amount Apple is charging for SSD space. The higher-end processor also makes for a very noisy computer (fan noise).

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Well, I wouldn't argue against an F. There's no current Mac I would spend my own money on. The Mini got some goodwill from everyone because expectations had gotten so low. They actually did a new one and it isn't as much of a locked-down soldered-on trap like everything else in the lineup.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Just upgraded from a 8/128 13" 2015 rMBP to a 16/512... 13" 2015 rMBP. I'll check back in, oh, 2022 and see if Macbooks have gotten good again!!

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

This $13 keyboard cover solved all the 2018 13" MacBook Pro's problems. Amazing.

https://www.amazon.com/UPPERCASE-Gh...+keyboard+cover

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

This $13 keyboard cover solved all the 2018 13" MacBook Pro's problems. Amazing.

Rocking a keyboard cover like it’s the early 2000s.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gay Retard posted:

But there's already one of those underneath the keyboard :confused:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

always wear two condoms

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Last Chance posted:

always wear two condoms

do not do this

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Weedle posted:

do not do this

Double the protection though :shrug:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Gay Retard posted:

The problem that it feels like poo poo? :colbert:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Double the protection though :shrug:

It’s more like half the protection. The friction between the two condoms makes them both more likely to break.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’m more worried about the lovely display cable built into the hinge wearing out than the keyboard tbh. Apple at least acknowledged the hosed up keyboard with a repair program

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Weedle posted:

It’s more like half the protection. The friction between the two condoms makes them both more likely to break.

That's why you get them lubed for the condoms' enjoyment.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

LionArcher posted:

The problem that it feels like poo poo? :colbert:

My issue is the reliability. I love the clickiness and travel, and I think the older keyboards feel mushy and slow.

I’d prefer not to use a keyboard cover, but at least it’s hardly noticeable.

eames
May 9, 2009

I’ve got a 2018 Mac Mini here that keeps disconnecting the external drive (Samsung T5 via USB-C) every night during sleep. Any ideas what could be causing this? It only happens over night, never during shorter sleep periods. I tried the USB-A to C cable and a powered hub, same result. Updated the SSD Firmware too.
Macrumors has a big thread going on with people having the same issue but nobody can pin down why it happens.
It also had two BridgeOS crashes in the week that I’ve had it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

Also, if this 16-16.5 inch MBP is Retina quality, it's a safe bet it's gonna have to have a dedicated GPU and NOT an integrated one.
What's it going to be driving, a 5K screen? Intel's iGPUs would be poo poo at updating that size screen.

At that size, definitely 4K or smaller. The 21.5” iMac is 4K.

Also it would have a Vega in it like what you can option on the current 15”. Maybe start with what would be the mid tier GPU on the 15”.

Joke answer- Apple premieres their own in-house developed silicon based on years of secret skunkworks and experience from exponential GPU performance gains in the iOS space. A year later the first Mac with an Apple-designed CPU appears.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I’m in Europe but a colleague in the US has offered to play courier if I send gear to his address.

Against the wishes of the zeitgeist ITT, I’m looking to pick up a 2018 13” MBP. I narrowly missed the $100-off deal at BHPhoto last week, so hoping something pops up before the 10th of March.

Aside from BHPhoto and Adorama, which other online shops don’t charge sales tax (shipping to VA)?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hello Spaceman posted:

I’m in Europe but a colleague in the US has offered to play courier if I send gear to his address.

Against the wishes of the zeitgeist ITT, I’m looking to pick up a 2018 13” MBP. I narrowly missed the $100-off deal at BHPhoto last week, so hoping something pops up before the 10th of March.

Aside from BHPhoto and Adorama, which other online shops don’t charge sales tax (shipping to VA)?

Which model were you looking at? Best Buy has $100-$150 off some 13” right now.

Also B&H is starting to collect sales taxes in most states due to a recent Supreme Court ruling.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Also B&H is starting to collect sales taxes in most states due to a recent Supreme Court ruling.

Yeah, the tax-dodge of ordering online is coming to an end.

I'd also recommend the refurb section on Apple's website.

I got a really good deal on 2018 13" (quad i7, 512 GB SSD, 16GB) at around $200 off retail. It also comes with the same warranty as new.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Joke answer- Apple premieres their own in-house developed silicon based on years of secret skunkworks and experience from exponential GPU performance gains in the iOS space. A year later the first Mac with an Apple-designed CPU appears.

PowerVR, the company that designed the GPU architechture that went into A7 - A10 chipsets, was showing off a PCIe-based graphics card running off their GPU technology at CES only a year or so ago (only as a technology demo but it was mounted inside a bog standard PC clone running Windows); it'd be pretty simple for Apple to do the same with the A11 and newer.

Anandtech notes that while Apple claims the GPU as being their own design, it still physically resembles the PowerVR architecture.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 21, 2019

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

FCKGW posted:

Proteus Jones posted:

I got a really good deal on 2018 13" (quad i7, 512 GB SSD, 16GB) at around $200 off retail. It also comes with the same warranty as new.

Ah crap. I'd read about that but thought it was a few months away from being enforced.
Looking at a 13" i5 16/512. Trying to keep total spend under EUR 2000, but my rubber arm could be twisted for a good enough deal.

Will look at BB and the refurb store - thanks.

eames
May 9, 2009

ARM Macs coming next year, rumor source: Intel

https://www.axios.com/apple-macbook-arm-chips-ea93c38a-d40a-4873-8de9-7727999c588c.html

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I wonder if this explains the iMac not receiving a significant update since 2017 (excluding the iMac Pro but uh $5k computer). The 2013 rMBP is getting long in the tooth and I was looking for a slick 27" iMac to replace it, but I'm not feeling buying 2-year-old desktop tech for new computer pricing.

Guess we'll see what it's all about once we get to the next WWDC. Bonus points to them if they can make a razor-thin iMac setup thanks to low-power-consumption A* chips that run macOS.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ripoff posted:

I wonder if this explains the iMac not receiving a significant update since 2017 (excluding the iMac Pro but uh $5k computer). The 2013 rMBP is getting long in the tooth and I was looking for a slick 27" iMac to replace it, but I'm not feeling buying 2-year-old desktop tech for new computer pricing.

Guess we'll see what it's all about once we get to the next WWDC. Bonus points to them if they can make a razor-thin iMac setup thanks to low-power-consumption A* chips that run macOS.

A "razor-thin Imac" would be slow as gently caress. ARM chips aren't magic.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The iPad Pro is pretty drat fast.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The transition should be fairly painless, what with x86 emulation on arm already a thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I’ve been warming to the idea that iMacs didn’t get refreshed in 2018 because they’re due for a major in 2019/2020. Prolly see them get rid of the chin if I had to guess.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mu Zeta posted:

The iPad Pro is pretty drat fast.

* for some applications

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ratbert90 posted:

The transition should be fairly painless, what with x86 emulation on arm already a thing.

x64 emulation, on the other hand, isn't. But I assume Apple could do it.

It's also really slow, but that would just increase the pressure on developers to convert their applications.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 22, 2019

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

FCKGW posted:

Proteus Jones posted:

Update: Adorama did not charge me tax to deliver to our office in VA. $2374 for a 2018 13” (i7/16/512).
Bizarrely, the space gray option was more expensive than the silver (which I ended up going for).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hello Spaceman posted:

Update: Adorama did not charge me tax to deliver to our office in VA. $2374 for a 2018 13” (i7/16/512).
Bizarrely, the space gray option was more expensive than the silver (which I ended up going for).

If that's new in box, that's not a bad price.