Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

evobatman posted:

My dads 1986 240. He bought it cheap from the bank he worked in, which repoed it from a delinquent owner.

I had that thing at speeds it was never built for, it's a miracle I'm still alive.

Dad works at bank, "delinquent" owner, 1980's, it was a real steal....how much coke does it carry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Bread Zeppelin posted:

It's really hard to search for that image because google is totally sure you meant Denver and not Demver.

Deinver?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bread Zeppelin posted:

It's really hard to search for that image because google is totally sure you meant Denver and not Demver.

That's a cursive "n"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

LifeSunDeath posted:

Dad works at bank, "delinquent" owner, 1980's, it was a real steal....how much coke does it carry?

He probably just wanted that vehicle, so he called the entire loan in and the dude had no choice but to give up the wagon.

Sorry dude, but if your dad was a banker, he was a fucker.

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Nevermind. I googled it. It is an n

BUT! No-one has ever written it that way. That’s a template.

Robokomodo has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Feb 19, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Aztec posted:

but if your dad was a banker, he was a fucker.

but you repeat yourself

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Last Chance posted:

That's a cursive "n"

I went to google "Cursive n" to disprove this but apparently this is the way cursive lower-case Ns are written now? What the gently caress

I was taught to start the n near the middle, vertically, or near the top of where the letter itself would be. Kids who started it at the bottom got yelled at because it looks like an m. Cursive of course is garbage and no one uses it but why would they teach an even dumber style like that

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
So few people use cursive these days that even the people who teach it have started forgetting how to write it.

e: Also, none of the other letters in that word are cursive. It's "Demver".

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 19:28 on Feb 19, 2019

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I went to google "Cursive n" to disprove this but apparently this is the way cursive lower-case Ns are written now? What the gently caress

I was taught to start the n near the middle, vertically, or near the top of where the letter itself would be. Kids who started it at the bottom got yelled at because it looks like an m. Cursive of course is garbage and no one uses it but why would they teach an even dumber style like that

Everything always gets worse. Nothing ever gets better.

PaulBearer
Jul 23, 2013

So? That's just a regular chihuahua.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Besesoth posted:

So few people use cursive these days that even the people who teach it have started forgetting how to write it.

I'm 28 and I wouldn't be able to write any other way. I don't think the concept of 'cursive' even exists in that sense here because that's just handwriting to us.

It was really interesting to find out it was going extinct in the US, it's one of those subtle but significant cultural differences that you don't give much thought to or are even likely to find out about

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 19:58 on Feb 19, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

I hated those loving Quiznos' commercials.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Phlegmish posted:

I'm 28 and I wouldn't be able to write any other way. I don't think the concept of 'cursive' even exists in that sense here because that's just handwriting to us.

It was really interesting to find out it was going extinct in the US, it's one of those subtle but significant cultural differences that you don't give much thought to or are even likely to find out about

I'm 44 and there were people in my high school who refused to write cursive and block printed everything. It's not really a new thing, it's just more culturally acceptable now.
To be fair, their handwriting was 1000X more legible than my cursive.

Edit: sorry for the double post. I am bad at the Internet.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I'd be a lot more on board with people who want to bring back cursive writing in schools if they didn't also in literally 100% of cases want to bring back corporal punishment and mandatory prayer.

Greblin
Mar 12, 2008

I'm clicking the X but it won't go away.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just getting caught up over the past few pages and seriously folks, check out the customer reviews for the Diana soundtrack:

https://www.amazon.com/Princess-Diana-Karen-Sokolof-Javitch/dp/B007BR5SBQ#customerReviews

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Good god the purpose of cursive is to write letters that are connected together

You don't count the connecting pieces as part of each individual letter, the "n" doesn't have three vertical strokes in cursive mode, it's supposed to just connect to the "e" in a single smooth stroke, that's the entire point

jfc

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Most people don't learn cursive, and at the same time literacy has exploded in a truly unprecedented way. The average person today reads and writes probably literally a thousand times more than the average person a hundred years ago.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Just getting caught up over the past few pages and seriously folks, check out the customer reviews for the Diana soundtrack:

https://www.amazon.com/Princess-Diana-Karen-Sokolof-Javitch/dp/B007BR5SBQ#customerReviews

I'm really tempted to buy the album.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gripweed posted:

Most people don't learn cursive, and at the same time literacy has exploded in a truly unprecedented way. The average person today reads and writes probably literally a thousand times more than the average person a hundred years ago.

Considering what most people post on twitter this doesn't seem like much of an improvement.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm really tempted to buy the album.

It's a shame my White Elephants/Yankee Swaps aren't for another 10 months; if I buy a couple of copies now I'll completely forget about them when it's time for "gift-giving"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I bought the MP3 copy of the album. Holy gently caress it's even funnier if you can actually understand the lyrics. Which is made even better because a large part of the script was posted online! Also they make it very clear that Diana was 17 and Prince Charles was 30 when they first fell in love and I don't think the musical ever points out how creepy this is.

Also, she took one of her songs about the paparazzi and made it about Octomom?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYfozqUhmSI

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If you have an Amazon account just add it to your Shopping List

PaulBearer
Jul 23, 2013

Aleph Null posted:

I'm 44 and there were people in my high school who refused to write cursive and block printed everything. It's not really a new thing, it's just more culturally acceptable now.
To be fair, their handwriting was 1000X more legible than my cursive.

Maybe I'm not getting something here but how do you sign your name without cursive? I mean, doesn't everybody's signature look the same (or at least VERY easy to fake) when they just use block print?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

PaulBearer posted:

Maybe I'm not getting something here but how do you sign your name without cursive? I mean, doesn't everybody's signature look the same (or at least VERY easy to fake) when they just use block print?

Signatures as identification are obsolete technology.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

That's the speed you need to turn the surface temperature to 400° because the guy who did the initial calculations had no idea how to cook

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

I hit a deer doing about 70 and the worst thing that happened was I blew out a headlight.

I believe the deer would beg to differ

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Who What Now posted:

That's the speed you need to turn the surface temperature to 400° because the guy who did the initial calculations had no idea how to cook

gently caress the chicken until exploded

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Futaba Anzu posted:

gently caress the chicken until exploded

Nuke it from orbit, just to be sure.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

STEEMPY! YOU EEEEDIOT!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrUnderbridge posted:

STEEMPY! YOU EEEEDIOT!

:hmmyes:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Gripweed posted:

even incredibly well educated writers from 200 years ago like coleridge were continuously "mispelling" names and places and nouns and verbs, even in an internally inconsistent way (across various letters or pieces of writing) because at the time they just hadnt been standardised yet. language is fluid but we've made some serious efforts at standardising certain things, including how you write letters. and with the advent of computers and how that has transformed literacy and the written word, i have absolutely no idea why people would ever hang onto the idea of cursive beyond "this is a way that people used to write, and sometimes still write if they want to, so know how to read it and then do what you want from here on out"

last year i was doing some romanian classes and it took me probably 3 lessons to realise that my teacher was writing in block letters but with a cursive n, and i'd been learning the words with an m instead. i'd say that different styles of writing are cool and all but i'd never look down on someone for just using block letters because cursive is absolutely a part of the past

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://twitter.com/InsaneMistress/status/1097711632292098048

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

The Conservative government of Ontario is pulling crazy modern and hyper liberal ideas from our public school sex Ed curriculum like consent and the idea that gay people exist because sex Ed was perfected in 1992 or something.

The funny part? Here's the idiot in charge next to his (thankfully) late younger brother.

Conservatives are terrified of everything and will cling to anything that existed in their formative years.

He's going to be PM one day :negative:

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/redfacts/status/1097891270578581504

tag yourself, I'm the sex hat

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m :parrot:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010