Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

I don't like to have more than one Fighter becuase you don't get more than one XCAL. But if we're talking straight optimization, even though Black Belt starts out poo poo, they're hands down the best in the NES version because they're the only class that can one-shot the final boss.

Well gently caress. I beat the Sony Playstation home computer system version with a figher + thief + white + black party back in the day but don't really remember much about it. Now I'm playing the Nintendo Classic Mini home computer system version and am really regretting trying to do the same, especially since it lacks the QOL changes in the PS version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

crosspost incoming: Beat FFX for the first time ever after never giving it a chance when it initially released. Really enjoyed it. The postgame was too grindy, but I did stick it out enough to get all of the Celestial Weapons and Aeons. Told myself i'd at least attempt a few superbosses; I beat Dark Valefor, Dark Ifrit, and Omega. I didn't really try any others. Filling out the sphere grid and grinding out rare mats didn't feel worth it. I kinda prefer superbosses to have a 'purpose' so it feels cool beating them.

Probably gonna wait for 12 to come out on Switch and try that one next!

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
In FF1, the black belt's unarmed attack power is their level *2 and they hit more than Fighters do by the late teens, iirc. The strongest weapon has 56 atk, so at level 29+ they hit harder, and more times per attack, than the knight will ever be able to do (though you probably won't hit 28 unless you're grinding).

Spending 30-45 minutes in the Hall of Giants to pick up half a dozen (or more) levels will have your black belt leading the team in damage for the rest of the game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

In FF1, the black belt's unarmed attack power is their level *2 and they hit more than Fighters do by the late teens, iirc. The strongest weapon has 56 atk, so at level 29+ they hit harder, and more times per attack, than the knight will ever be able to do (though you probably won't hit 28 unless you're grinding).

yeah but they're the ultimate glass cannon. the stipulation is unarmed and unarmored.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

yeah but they're the ultimate glass cannon. the stipulation is unarmed and unarmored.

Don't have to worry about dying if the enemy is already dead.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

Opal Bracelet, Protect Ring, and Ribbon gives them about 2/3 the defense of a Knight.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Opal Bracelet, Protect Ring, and Ribbon gives them about 2/3 the defense of a Knight.

doesn't equipping any armor in the NES version set their absorb to like 4 due to a bug

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kind of. Every time the black belt levels up, the game is supposed to check if he has any armor equipped, and if he doesn't, it sets his absorb to equal his level. Instead, it checks if he has any weapons equipped. Theoretically you could get really high absorb while also benefiting from the elemental resistances of the ribbon, but you'd need to be level 44 or higher to have higher absorb than you can get with opal ring/ribbon/proring.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Evil Fluffy posted:

Their “absorb” stat may be 2/3 that of a knight, but in absolute terms, they can still end up taking dozens of times the physical damage a knight would. Absorb in FF1 is flat damage reduction and lots of enemies with scary physical attacks typically hit multiple times. A fighter might see 4 hits, 4 damage, but a black belt would probably see 4 hits 100 damage. The blackbelt would go down in 2-3 rounds against a group of enemies attacking like that, while the fighter could pretty much just go forever, unless hit with status effects, magic, or facing the few enemies with a high crit rate.

That’s not to mention that the black belt is pretty much there just to take stray hits in the early game and needs grinding to be good before halfway through, then they only do a little more damage than a fighter unless you grind them to very high levels. They’re good against Chaos if you ground levels, but that’s only one fight, and making it through dungeons in the first place tends to be much more challenging in FF1 than the boss fights at the end of them. Black belts are stylish for their ability to one shot bosses at high levels, but they’re not very practical.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well gently caress :( About five levels ago I noticed Pepu (my THIEF) couldn't hit loving poo poo and when he did hit, he didn't do much damage. He can't even steal anything! Is there any reason not to go Fighter Fighter White Black?

Personally, I think two red mages work better as a casting team than a white mage and a black mage, and the red mages can contribute decent melee damage too. Two red mages overall have much more healing than a single white mage and much more AoE damage than a single black mage. NUKE and FADE are nice, but not really game changing; top-tier elemental spells clear the field very well too. Two red wizards can spam damage spells against mobs twice as fast, spam FAST and INV2 twice as fast against bosses, and with FAST up their melee damage outperforms any spells against single targets. In particular, Black Mages seem pretty useless compared to Red Mages. White Wizards at least get CUR4, the HEAL spells, earlier access to LIFE and eventually get LIF2, even if they can’t contribute to the party’s damage output at all.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
LIFE and LIF2 suck anyway because you can't even use them in battle

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The main reason to have a thief is to run away easily. Considering how dangerous random encounters can be and your very limited resources, grinding outside of dungeons and making a mad dash to the boss isn't a bad idea.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the real reason to have a thief is that ninjas are cool

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Thieves don't even run better than other classes in the vanilla NES version due to a bug. If you're playing that version on PC, I recommend going to the Final Fantasy Randomizer site and use its "improved vanilla" non-randomized mode to fix all the bugs and add a ton of QoL features.

Black Belts do the most damage at high levels, but Fighters are better if you're trying to blitz through the game. Speedrun parties tend to be FI FI RM RM or sometimes swapping a BM for a RM. A balanced party of FI BB WM BM is perfectly good for experience everything the game has to offer though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Metal Gear Prompto was really fun

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
metal gear prompto is almost fun, but for some reason, the ADS crosshairs are completley invisible if you have minimap disabled

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ashe taking center stage because she's the main character. I approve.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Ashe taking center stage because she's the main character. I approve.

What happened to Basch? :ohdear:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Electric Phantasm posted:

Don't listen to Ondore's lies. Basch lives.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Under the dress

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

he's there, second from the left

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFXII artwork is so goodd

Makes me want to play it again

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

cock hero flux posted:

he's there, second from the left

Good eye. That's Basche Fon Ronsenberg, of Dalmasca.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I've been playing XII too and Vaan is a lot more likable than I remembered from when I was like 13

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I've also been playing ff12

Palings suck

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
'Final Fantasy VIII' Was Too Honest and Unsettling to be Beloved

The article itself is mostly just a plot synopsis but I had a good laugh at the headline. Yes, yes that's the reason too honest yup.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
that's the same writer that said dragon quest 11 is a sin and Ni No Kuni 2 is the greatest game of all time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

These kinds of rehabilitative thinkpieces can only exist as a thought experiment for entertainment nobody's seen in 20 years than actually having to experience the story for yourself.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I just got done watching an LP of XIII and oh boy. What a loving mess that story is.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

S.J. posted:

I just got done watching an LP of XIII and oh boy. What a loving mess that story is.

Eh, it's not that bad. The cel-shaded look is cool and we always need more David Duchovny anyways.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
lmao if you ever click a vice link

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Proudly, I only read lists of which Final Fantasy is the best

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Eh, it's not that bad. The cel-shaded look is cool and we always need more David Duchovny anyways.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have known people who think Squall is a great protagonist, sort of the Shinji Ikari of Final Fantasy where he's hated for being emotional and vulnerable instead of a hardcore badass. I guess there's a tiny amount of merit to this idea as I have always maintained FFVIII had a lot of cool things in it but the execution is terrible. It's truly awful Squall and friends are child soldiers but the game isn't bold enough to commit to this.

Fans Online: They are trained to KILL! It's a very heavy and real piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSt-fNv5d68

They go to a loving high school, that's it. There's more drama about Zell not getting hotdogs than his angst about being a child soldier.

Squall has "real" problems I guess but his development is so hamfisted and you can't really relate to it. Tidus had real problems too with regards to his alcoholic and abusive father and a mother who didn't pay him enough attention. It's done better than this. And Cloud has a ton of depth in his own journey even if it is explicitly more fantastical. Wrapped up in all that stuff about Spirit Energy and alien cells was the story of a dorky, isolated kid who just wanted to be a hero and impress a girl.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 19, 2019

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Cloud's journey is him realizing he's actually a loser dork and not the badass mercenary he was roleplaying.

So of course all the sequels and spin-offs have doubled down on the badass loner angst.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

This is all whyNoctis is the best FF protagonist.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

A Sometimes Food posted:

This is all whyNoctis is the best FF protagonist.

That's not how you spell Bartz.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

CeallaSo posted:

That's not how you spell Butz.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Cloud's journey is him realizing he's actually a loser dork and not the badass mercenary he was roleplaying.

So of course all the sequels and spin-offs have doubled down on the badass loner angst.

Crisis Core did not.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
The only good protag is Luso "Pizza Cutter" Clemens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Can you really still call yourself a loser dork if you save the world twice and contributed to saving the world like 5 years later.