Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KakerMix posted:

Well Jeep is the only thing that makes Chrysler money these days and that's all AMC so it kinda does live on :smith:

Literally the only time I can think of where an acquisition ended up saving the buying company

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Morphix posted:

This may be a dumb question, but are steelies generally heavier or lighter than a nice after market wheel that's designed for performance? Because (and I'm prolly wrong here) from my eyes, especially with them being smaller than like 19" wheels or whatever, they would have less mass to them. Like the circular design allows you to have a much more even force distribution so you don't have to reinforce stuff.

Or something.

steel wheels tend to be heavier because they are made of steel, which is heavier

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

steel wheels tend to be heavier because they are made of steel, which is heavier

Duh, ya that makes sense. I guess I meant more in the design of the steelies being a single circle that supports the wheels rather than spokes coming out from the center. But the more I think about it the more complex the thing becomes so ya dumb question trying to get a simple answer to something that isn't quite that simple.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there isn't really any reason that you couldn't make a similar design to a steel wheel out of aluminum. old cromodoras are kind of similar, as are old alfa phone dials. there's no real advantage to the steel wheel design other than you can just stamp it out easily and cheaply.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

there's no real advantage to the steel wheel design other than you can just stamp it out easily and cheaply.

let's set aside cooling issues for now with the wheel being covered, wouldn't a single piece circular design be a lot tougher than something made out of spokes, if all else is equal (same materials, same weight I guess)?

I guess I'm wondering why aftermarket 'performance' designs moved away from this sort of look

\/\/\/ aaaaah thanks, that actually makes sense \/\/\/

Morphix fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 15, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Same material, same weight means that a spoked design allows thicker materials in the direction of strength than a flat faced design.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Morphix posted:

if all else is equal (same materials, same weight I guess)?
Both those won't be equal because of design and manufacturing process.
Most of the stress a wheel sees is on the rim, which is why removing material and leaving spokes works.
Trying to take the volume of 8 spokes and distributing it into a disc with the same strength interfaces at the rim and hub would lead to coke-can thinness in the middle, which would be more vulnerable to smaller strikes from debris, tapping a curb, etc.

Serious spoked wheels are forged for extra strength. I think you could do the same for a solid wheel, but the benefits would be different because the shapes are different.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That OZ wheel is based on rally designs and is designed that way to keep rocks and debris out and be able to withstand abuse, not necessarily to be as light as possible.

Edit: to be clear, they're designed to LOOK like rally wheels. I don't think they're the real McCoy.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 15, 2019

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Powershift posted:

The wrong American manufacturer died. Chrysler should have died instead of AMC so we could have the AMX/3 and modern day Eagles with beefy all terrains.

Thing being, the WK2 Grand Cherokee is only ~3" larger in both length and width than an Eagle AMC Eagle wagon and arguably it's true replacement.

CornHolio posted:

Jeep was all AMC, in the nineties their good stuff was all Mitsubishi, then you had the Daimler merger which got us the LX/LC cars and now anything remotely good is a rebranded Fiat. Am I accurate?

Contrary to the orthodox religion of the LX cars coming from the E-class, they actually came from the early 80s Renault 25 and have been continuously updated since then, up to and including the "new" Maserati M156. The lineage is Renault 25 -> Eagle Premier -> Chrysler LH -> Chrysler LX -> Maserati M156. The Chrysler LH was designed to be RWD/AWD/FWD, which is it had a longitudinal engine, but only FWD ended up getting produced. The LX update to the LH did end up getting the W210 E-class rear suspension and the floorpan was massaged to fit Mercedes transmissions and seat rails at the 11th hour of it's design cycle, but otherwise the LX is very much a Chrysler design and always has been. Various LX/LH prototypes even ran around in Eagle Premiere bodies.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Well to be fair, say I swapped out my 16" steel wheels on my xB to 19" alloys? Wouldn't the bigger wheels, even tho made of alloy, weigh more than smaller steel wheels? I suppose it depends on the type and brand of wheels but it seems like that could happen, I mean my steel wheels aren't that heavy. I have been considering getting some (bigger) Lexus alloys and have been wondering if they might actually be heavier than the stock steelies.

For instance, if you look at the Miata wheel weight chart, a 16" alloy weighs just as much as the stock 14" steel wheel....

https://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 15, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Well to be fair, say I swapped out my 16" steel wheels on my xB to 19" alloys? Wouldn't the bigger wheels, even tho made of alloy, weigh more than smaller steel wheels? I suppose it depends on the type and brand of wheels but it seems like that could happen, I mean my steel wheels aren't that heavy at all. I have been considering getting some (bigger) Lexus alloys and have been wondering if they might actually be heavier than the stock steelies.

yeah that's entirely likely. tons of aluminum wheels are heavy as hell

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yes but it is not reasonable to compared differently sized wheels

edit: in terms of equivalent weight/strength. also OEM alloy wheels tend to be heavy compared to aftermarket forged stuff especially.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The minivan and the later redesign of the RAM saved Chrysler. Hth.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Well to be fair, say I swapped out my 16" steel wheels on my xB to 19" alloys? Wouldn't the bigger wheels, even tho made of alloy, weigh more than smaller steel wheels? I suppose it depends on the type and brand of wheels but it seems like that could happen, I mean my steel wheels aren't that heavy. I have been considering getting some (bigger) Lexus alloys and have been wondering if they might actually be heavier than the stock steelies.

For instance, if you look at the Miata wheel weight chart, a 16" alloy weighs just as much as the stock 14" steel wheel....

https://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html

But what about the weight of the tire?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

EnergizerFellow posted:

Contrary to the orthodox religion of the LX cars coming from the E-class, they actually came from the early 80s Renault 25 and have been continuously updated since then, up to and including the "new" Maserati M156. The lineage is Renault 25 -> Eagle Premier -> Chrysler LH -> Chrysler LX -> Maserati M156. The Chrysler LH was designed to be RWD/AWD/FWD, which is it had a longitudinal engine, but only FWD ended up getting produced. The LX update to the LH did end up getting the W210 E-class rear suspension and the floorpan was massaged to fit Mercedes transmissions and seat rails at the 11th hour of it's design cycle, but otherwise the LX is very much a Chrysler design and always has been. Various LX/LH prototypes even ran around in Eagle Premiere bodies.

This is fascinating stuff, is it documented anywhere or is it just 'known' among some people?

edit: and I should have no problem swapping interiors with a Renault 25, right? :v:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 15, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

But what about the weight of the tire?

Well yeah, there's lots of differences there too between manufacturers and models/sizes of tire, it's been hashed over millions of times in Miata.net what the lightest wheel/tire combo is.

It was just more of a curiosity for me with the wheels.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

it's been hashed over millions of times in Miata.net what the lightest wheel/tire combo is.

I wonder if anybody is autocrossing a Miata with carbon ceramic brakes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KillHour posted:

I wonder if anybody is autocrossing a Miata with carbon ceramic brakes.

Think something more like motorcycle style rear wave rotors and the small Wilwood caliper :v: That is definitely a thing.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

:stare:

How do they stop?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KillHour posted:

:stare:

How do they stop?

Cones

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They work, just not much heat capacity. You see it in the rear of some of the more extreme time attack cars and the front of some of the extreme autocross cars

For example, these rotors with these calipers are in the rear of the current overall quickest Global Time Attack Limited class car

Something like this up front in autocross

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 15, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ummmm...wow.

Miata people sure take lightness to the extreme, I kinda doubt that setup improves times all that much.....but unsprung weight man

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

EnergizerFellow posted:

Thing being, the WK2 Grand Cherokee is only ~3" larger in both length and width than an Eagle AMC Eagle wagon and arguably it's true replacement.

It always irritates me since I learned this to see it mentioned in reputable sources that the Charger/Challenger is “basically a W210 E class”

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FuturePastNow posted:

Looks perfect for pothole country

That's what pickup trucks and SUVs are for.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

CornHolio posted:

This is fascinating stuff, is it documented anywhere or is it just 'known' among some people?

edit: and I should have no problem swapping interiors with a Renault 25, right? :v:

Lmao at that leather

Was it made from naked mole rats?

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

CornHolio posted:

Mostly documented via a series of pages and forum posts over at allpar.com. The LX's Mercedes origin rumors are pervasive enough there really should be a dedicated page about it at Allpar, along with extensive Wikipedia updates.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Ummmm...wow.

Miata people sure take lightness to the extreme, I kinda doubt that setup improves times all that much.....but unsprung weight man

Most people would probably see more practical effect by going to the gym. :v:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

CornHolio posted:

This owns.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/citroen/106030/new-citroen-ami-one-concept-revives-the-spirit-of-the-2cv

I reckon that's quite brilliant, assuming it's priced cheaply. I like the fact its not packed full of unnecessary poo poo that pads the price, I like that it's geared towards attracting younger people to driving, I even quite like the design (though public-transport-orange-and-blue isn't the colour scheme I would pick). The best part is the concept of having your smartphone slot into and become part of the dash/infotainment. Cuts costs and stops people from texting while driving at the same time, I think all car manufacturers should adopt it.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As a millennial, I'm positive nobody is going to buy that.

Also, lol at "can be driven by people 16 and above." Round these parts, a 16 year old can drive a 40 ft camper towing a car behind it, and that's the way we like it. :clint:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 19, 2019

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How much are they selling to for. $6,000? $7,000?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It’ll get toned down for production and is basically a preview of the C1 replacement.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Perhaps, but I don't see why it couldn't be a less ridiculous looking, smarter-designed Twizy competitor. Plus the degree of ingenuity that went into saving costs is cool. The left and right doors are identical except with the mirror and lock in opposite places, the fenders are same too, the interior is 3d printed, the roof is canvas. The only electrical stuff is what is legally mandated. If they could price it at ~5.5-6k euros, I could see it becoming pretty popular in Europe. It really is a kind of modern 2CV.

I hate the feature bloat in modern cars as well as people being glued to their phones while driving, and this combats those issues in a fairly clever manner :shrug:

KillHour posted:

As a millennial, I'm positive nobody is going to buy that.

Also, lol at "can be driven by people 16 and above." Round these parts, a 16 year old can drive a 40 ft camper towing a car behind it, and that's the way we like it. :clint:

It wouldn't do well in the land of conspicuous consumption and gigantic trucks piloted by barely-trained teens, no. But it wouldn't be sold there anyway!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

It legit looks like it was driven off the set of the 90s Judge Dredd film.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Haha the top speed is 45km/h so it'll be a rolling obstacle even on a regular city street. Otherwise it would be a pretty good option for my parents for example just to get around their small town or to go to one of the nearby larger cities for shopping or whatever. But one is connected by a 70km/h road an the other by 90-130 so nope.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Haha the top speed is 45km/h so it'll be a rolling obstacle even on a regular city street. Otherwise it would be a pretty good option for my parents for example just to get around their small town or to go to one of the nearby larger cities for shopping or whatever. But one is connected by a 70km/h road an the other by 90-130 so nope.

Yeah, the "can be driven without a driver's license" basically makes it useless for anything.

These types of cars exist already and they're all trash.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
A lot of smaller towns around here allow golf carts on city streets, that's basically what this is so it's not really anything new.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 19, 2019

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

I'd really like to see a proper, normal-person car constructed with similar minimalist design standards. Like that Ami, except with an actually useful engine.

Or a little sports coupe version. Like a modern-day, electric NA MX-5 or smart roadster. Would be awesome.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Grakkus posted:

I'd really like to see a proper, normal-person car constructed with similar minimalist design standards.

Modern kei vans?: https://www.financialexpress.com/au...-month/1415347/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It legit looks like it was driven off the set of the 90s Judge Dredd film.

Lol was thinking the exact same thing. Somewhere one of the film designers is saying I KNEW IT!!