Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

There was no reason for Piranha Plant to be locked behind a code. The console is connected to the internet, it knows if it was on the console before the cutoff date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

asecondduck posted:

:toot:

The left one is the easier one, unfortunately. The right one is a lot fiddlier but with some patience it can be done!

Oh dear.

I won't be able to work on it until I get home from travel on Thursday night, but hopefully it's not too crazy.

I wish I had those angled tweezers all the folks making the guide videos have.

Also it wish I had a proper workbench with a magnifier and light, rather than a dining room table.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Spellman posted:

There was no reason for Piranha Plant to be locked behind a code. The console is connected to the internet, it knows if it was on the console before the cutoff date
It's locked behind a Nintendo account actually. If you bought the product digital you have no problem. If you bought it physical you had to register it to connect it to your account so that you can download it from the eShop. It's fairly simple and Nintendo explained it over a dozen times in the weeks leading up to the deadline.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I remember hearing those explanations, just not the ones where the Piranha Plant wouldn't be part of the season pass.

Granted I don't follow DLC practices closely, but how common is it that a season pass does not cover all the DLC that comes out during the timeframe for which it's on sale?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hammer Bro. posted:

I remember hearing those explanations, just not the ones where the Piranha Plant wouldn't be part of the season pass.

Granted I don't follow DLC practices closely, but how common is it that a season pass does not cover all the DLC that comes out during the timeframe for which it's on sale?

Its pretty common for early adopter/preorder bonuses to not be included in season passes. Often they're completely unavailable after the cutoff.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Piranha Plant was never part of the DLC pack. He was a "pre-order" bonus that was redeemable within the first two months of owning the game.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hammer Bro. posted:

Very common unfortunately. Usually stuff aside from season pass is split all over the place, store exclusives, Doritos, mountain dew bottles, etc

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Always play the game + season pass that your mother purchased for you in my opinion

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Just whine to your mom and get her to buy Piranha plant too, I'm sure that would go well

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

*gets a $60 game and $25 dlc pass for literally nothing* what the gently caress Nintendo how dare you ask me for $2.50

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Piranha Plant isn't even good. You'd literally never notice not having him. It's just FOMO.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Steve2911 posted:

Piranha Plant isn't even good. You'd literally never notice not having him. It's just FOMO.

:chloe:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Steve2911 posted:

Piranha Plant owns actually

SirBukkake
Aug 24, 2006
Idk some black dude

Steve2911 posted:

:oh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Steve2911 posted:

PP is very good. Very fun and unique character.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
PP

https://twitter.com/bagelb0yy/status/1090427520552521730

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

How hard is Tangledeep? I'm super interested in it bc I love the idea of roguelikes but hate permadeath, and I know it has a non-permadeath mode but I suck at video games and always end up confused in RPGs at what to do and how to play.

Also is there good bang for your buck? How many hours do you get out of it? Just any thoughts from people who played it would be appreciated.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Steve2911 posted:

there are two things very wrong about this post

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Kvlt! posted:

I love the idea of roguelikes but hate permadeath

:chloe:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PP is good now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I mean he's fine but not worth binning the game over if you don't have him or buying separately.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Permadeth is a component of the learning curve of a good roguelike. You're going to die, just as you figure something out, which you can use to not die early the next time (this doesn't always work that way).

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Very common unfortunately. Usually stuff aside from season pass is split all over the place, store exclusives, Doritos, mountain dew bottles, etc

Gross.

Lucky me I got my quasi-legal, vaguely-targeted vengeance: after a whole lot of fiddling I got PSX-FF9 running on my Switch.

Then I patched it to have bonus content.

Steve2911 posted:

I mean he's fine but not worth binning the game over if you don't have him or buying separately.

It's not the character, it's the principle.

I already had a pirated copy of Smash that I'd played for all of 10 minutes but my mother really wanted to get me something for Christmas so I figured a physical copy wouldn't go that badly; I tend to be the local Switch lending library.

Then she got upsold on a thing that I'm already against on principle and then that thing didn't even have all the content that I (naively) assumed justified its existence.

I don't like the direction the industry is heading down. Or I should say I'm sad to see Nintendo playing catch-up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Brother Entropy posted:

there are two things very wrong about this post

1.) Piranhas aren't plants.
2.) You will notice not having him because you know he exists.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The learning component is I learn to go play a better game where I can just continue my adventure. If you want be to learn to do something better and do it over and over again every day I better be getting paid + healthcare

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Kvlt! posted:

How hard is Tangledeep? I'm super interested in it bc I love the idea of roguelikes but hate permadeath, and I know it has a non-permadeath mode but I suck at video games and always end up confused in RPGs at what to do and how to play.

Also is there good bang for your buck? How many hours do you get out of it? Just any thoughts from people who played it would be appreciated.

As far as roguelikes go its on the easy side, as far as games in general go its fairly tough. Between all the classes and side stuff to do its pretty full featured and has a lot of content.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Iron Crowned posted:

The Permadeth is a component of the learning curve of a good roguelike. You're going to die, just as you figure something out, which you can use to not die early the next time (this doesn't always work that way).

Yes, I know.

My reaction was along the lines of how can you like roguelikes and hate permadeath. It's pretty much a core feature. Randomization + permadeath = roguelike.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Hammer Bro. posted:

it's the principle.

I already had a pirated copy of Smash

Uh huh.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MMF Freeway posted:

As far as roguelikes go its on the easy side, as far as games in general go its fairly tough. Between all the classes and side stuff to do its pretty full featured and has a lot of content.

For sure. I don't think Tangledeep has a "out of level" mechanic, where they occasionally put harder monsters on lower levels. I only say this because I haven't been curb stomped on the first or second level yet, which was an experience I've had in many roguelikes in the past.

Alternatively there may be one of those mechanics, I just haven't made it far enough for it to be noticeable yet.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Look Sir Droids posted:

Yes, I know.

My reaction was along the lines of how can you like roguelikes and hate permadeath. It's pretty much a core feature. Randomization + permadeath = roguelike.

the battle for the term roguelike has already been lost my friend

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I get what he's saying about Roguelikes. He's not speaking in crazy contradictory or dualist terms, guys.

"I like game experiences that can give you a feeling of progress and a somewhat complete game experience even when played in micro-sessions. However, I don't like always losing 100% of my progress at the slightest mis-step."

PSA for Goons: Next time don't be scared to ask for help when you're struck by the evil powers of Captain Semantic Autist and find yourself unable to extrapolate the obviously intended meaning out of statements.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Kvlt! posted:

As far as roguelikes go, it's pretty easy. I could see beating it on your first run if you take the time to do a lot of sidequest stuff to get stronger.

If you play on regular heroic mode instead of hardcore, you can build up your stores of captured pets and banked gear (with no prereqs for equipping!) to make subsequent runs easier.

I played a few characters and got up to about 20 hours on my main game before I got the save game bug on my floramancer. While waiting for the patch that will fix the issue, I started and finished a hardcore run over the course of about 12 hours (hunter with a dip into brigand), but I was went at a pretty deliberate pace and hit the level 15 cap a while before tackling the final boss. I also wanna do New Game+ on that file, but again, I'd rather wait for the patch to do that.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Hammer Bro. posted:

It's not the character, it's the principle.

I already had a pirated copy of Smash

I don't like the direction the industry is heading down. Or I should say I'm sad to see Nintendo playing catch-up.

Yeah I wonder why games need to have paid DLC to be profitable sometimes too.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh snap, Darkest Dungeon 2 is gonna be a thing. Hopefully it gets a Switch release.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are literally too many games. Holy poo poo. I never thought I would say this, but there are too many games on the Switch

poo poo, I feared this, based on what the 3DS eShop became. It took them no time at all to load the Switch eShop chock-full of shovelware garbage. For every good indie game there's like 50 lovely ones.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yeah I wonder why games need to have paid DLC to be profitable sometimes too.

I mean they don’t.

DLCs are mainly about ringing a product dry. Getting DLC from a failing product is rare.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hopefully coming to switch

https://mobile.twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1097920439249178624

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

ITT: several brittle spirits

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh snap, Darkest Dungeon 2 is gonna be a thing. Hopefully it gets a Switch release.

I liked a lot about the first one but it starts feeling really repetitive a few hours in. I'm down for a sequel that opens things up (and maybe fixes the ugly, janky animation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I just started another playthrough of DOOM, and I had no idea that the explosive shell upgrade for the combat shotty was so good. I've always just taken the triple tap without really thinking about it but oh man, explosive shell is so good for clearing out the rif-raff :psyduck: I'm gonna do some experimentation this time, I wonder what else I missed