Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there a dough blade that works with the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNYAMZ? The Amazon product description says it doesn’t come with one, and I want to be able to mix dough with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Is there a dough blade that works with the Cuisinart DFP-14BCNYAMZ? The Amazon product description says it doesn’t come with one, and I want to be able to mix dough with it.

Unless anything has changed in the last few years, the default metal blade works better than the dough blade for doughs.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/9577-dont-bother-with-a-dough-blade

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

.Z. posted:

Unless anything has changed in the last few years, the default metal blade works better than the dough blade for doughs.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/9577-dont-bother-with-a-dough-blade

This isn't the case for all food processors. The dough blade on the Magimix has a slant to it and flattens off at the end, which makes it knead more efficiently IME. I use a stand mixer most of the time because food processors aerate and heat up dough really quickly so it's hard to get a good knead without hurting the dough, but I had a food processor for a year or two before getting a stand mixer so I've used both the metal and dough blade several times.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I want to buy a small induction cooktop like Binging with Babish uses. Does anyone here have any recommendations? I was surprised at how cheap they are (~£30-45 on Amazon), so I would love to get one. Would be great for when I make breakfast or want to boil pasta, because my electric cooktop is awful, takes ages to reach temperature, and then burns things if I try to lower the temp.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Don't most of those youtube people use propane stoves?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

wormil posted:

Don't most of those youtube people use propane stoves?

Many still do, but induction is quite literally, the new hotness.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm just really attracted to the convenience of having a small portable induction hob that I can whip out when I want to make something small for breakfast. Cause right now, if I want eggs, I need to put the electric stove on and leave it for 5 minutes to get really hot. Then it's too hot and will scorch whatever I cook, so I lower it and that takes another few minutes (if I start it on the low setting, it takes forever to heat the pan up). It's great for steady things like stewing / simmering, but sucks for things that are quick and need delicate control.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I have a duxtop induction cooker and it works really well. I don't use it all that often (bought it when I had electric range but now have gas).

Mostly I use it for my pressure cooker to make a big batch of stock. Very quick to get it pressurized and then quickly shift down to the right temp for maintaining optimum pressure

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Any stoves come with like 3 gas burners and 1 induction burner? I would like to buy that, as I just put in a vented hood and I'm looking to upgrade from the electric stove.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

I have a duxtop induction cooker and it works really well.
+1 for Duxtop. We had one in a coffee shop for making various flavored syrups and spun/worked sugars and it held up being used pretty much constantly for over two years straight before I left.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My friend got an induction cooktop that he likes to use for deep-frying. It's nice because he doesn't use a burner, and there's no exposed flame so less fire risk. But the best thing is the temp control. I've been thinking of doing similarly

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I use mine for boiling water for morning coffee. Much much faster than the glasstop and if I fall asleep waiting it won't damage when boiled dry.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

extravadanza posted:

Any stoves come with like 3 gas burners and 1 induction burner? I would like to buy that, as I just put in a vented hood and I'm looking to upgrade from the electric stove.

I don't think so, but it's a good idea. I'd prefer mostly induction with a wok burner

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

I don't think so, but it's a good idea. I'd prefer mostly induction with a wok burner

I found plenty of 'cooktop' combinations of both, but can't really find a full OVEN with combination stovetop. I don't really want to re-do my kitchen to accommodate a built-in oven and a cooktop separately - so, oh well.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doom Rooster posted:

Many still do, but induction is quite literally, the new hotness.

If they are using the same brand, like they did with propane, it's probably sponsored.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have half a hog coming in a couple weeks and little freezer space so thinking about getting this GE deep freeze through Costco.

What does it mean when it says "Defrost Type - Frost Free " ? I seem to remember I didn't want auto defrost on a deep freezer because it heats up everything to thaw the frost buildup, and I remember my parents' model from the '70s had to be manually done every few years (which is fine) and also had some crazy vacuum that young me couldn't break open for 10 minutes after shutting. Has there been any evolution on that front in the last 50 years?

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Okay. Hotpot. Boondoggle fad or legitimately good?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

El Mero Mero posted:

It's a staple food for some of the world's more populous cultures so I would say it's certainly not a fad. Imagine on a Chinese cooking forum someone asking if deep fryers were a fad. Do you mean is it good? It's better if you grew up with it probably. It's a communal kinda thing. Have you gone to a hotpot restaurant?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 28, 2019

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

El Mero Mero posted:

it’s fun with a small group of people

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Hed posted:

I have half a hog coming in a couple weeks and little freezer space so thinking about getting this GE deep freeze through Costco.

What does it mean when it says "Defrost Type - Frost Free " ? I seem to remember I didn't want auto defrost on a deep freezer because it heats up everything to thaw the frost buildup, and I remember my parents' model from the '70s had to be manually done every few years (which is fine) and also had some crazy vacuum that young me couldn't break open for 10 minutes after shutting. Has there been any evolution on that front in the last 50 years?
"defrost type - frost free" just means it's an auto defrost. The mechanism has evolved but it still ultimately works the same way as it did 50 years ago. The cooling element heats up for a short period to remove frost from it. The defrosting process is just for the cooling element - in the past, they used to have gas heating which was a huge problem because it would heat up everything, but now it's just an electric current going through the cooler. You're not likely to find a deep freeze without some kind of auto defrost, but it's super not a big deal anymore unless you're storing super temperature sensitive lab samples or freezing highly flammable gases.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What's your climate and where is it going? Like in a garage where and where you live can't get real cold, or will it sit in a temp controlled environment?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Qubee posted:

Cause right now, if I want eggs, I need to put the electric stove on and leave it for 5 minutes to get really hot. Then it's too hot and will scorch whatever I cook, so I lower it and that takes another few minutes (if I start it on the low setting, it takes forever to heat the pan up). It's great for steady things like stewing / simmering, but sucks for things that are quick and need delicate control.

Put some butter in the pan when it's cold. When it stops foaming and starts to turn golden brown put the eggs (or whatever) in. After you have put the big heat sink in adjust heat as necessary to control cooking.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I might have too many gadgets, and I am starting to forget what I already have. I just spent a week lusting after buying an immersion blender.

Then last night I was making a lentil stew when I complained to my gf that I really wished I had an immersion blender to make it really nice she just stared at me and opened a drawer right next to me, and lo there's an immersion blender I bought over a year ago and kinda forgot about because I also got a Vitamix.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all of the info, Whalley, on how more modern freezers work. Sounds like today's frost-free models won't be a problem for food.

Colostomy Bag posted:

What's your climate and where is it going? Like in a garage where and where you live can't get real cold, or will it sit in a temp controlled environment?

Likely going in a garage that is between 15-85 Fahrenheit, and gets humid as gently caress during the summer. I could put it in a climate controlled basement, hadn't considered that.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hed posted:

Thanks for all of the info, Whalley, on how more modern freezers work. Sounds like today's frost-free models won't be a problem for food.

Likely going in a garage that is between 15-85 Fahrenheit, and gets humid as gently caress during the summer. I could put it in a climate controlled basement, hadn't considered that.

You should be fine, I misread and that you are getting a chest freezer. Reason I asked that question is sticking a refrig that isn't "garage" rated the freezer will not work quite so well in colder temps. Counterintuitive, but makes sense

And to add to Whalley's statement, the evaporator coil which has a ton of fins on them (more surface area to cool) builds up frost due to humidity and other factors. There is a heating element (think basically like the heating element in the bottom of your electric oven) that fires off to melt the frost off of the fins. Water goes into a drip pan where it evaporates.

Now when the heating element croaks, the evap coil freezes over and well you have a non-functioning freezer. For the most part, that is a serviceable item.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Indian mixies, or mixer/grinders? I cook a lot of Indian food and it's kind of a pain to break out the mortar and pestle every time I want to make a little paste. There are a few competing brands, even of the much smaller 110V selection, and I don't want to waste money on a subpar product. Most of the reviews I can find aren't in English, so I guess what I'm asking is, what brand should I go for?

Check for the Preethi on Amazon. Go for the Eco one. Also, when you get it, use it frequently, like every day, for at least a week. With Indian manufactured poo poo, their expectation is that you’ll bring it back to the store you bought it at, where they have repair guys who can fix all the poo poo in that store. So manufacturers don’t have the best quality control. Essentially you’ll find out if you got a dud after about 15 uses. So use it once in the AM and once in the PM. That’s the frequency that an Indian would be using this guy, as people cook breakfast and lunch in the morning, and then dinner when they get back from work. If you have a dud, you’ll know very quickly if you treat it like an Indian in India.

The poor reviews are from people who don’t cook, and have sat on the machine for too long.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

dino. posted:

Check for the Preethi on Amazon. Go for the Eco one. Also, when you get it, use it frequently, like every day, for at least a week. With Indian manufactured poo poo, their expectation is that you’ll bring it back to the store you bought it at, where they have repair guys who can fix all the poo poo in that store. So manufacturers don’t have the best quality control. Essentially you’ll find out if you got a dud after about 15 uses. So use it once in the AM and once in the PM. That’s the frequency that an Indian would be using this guy, as people cook breakfast and lunch in the morning, and then dinner when they get back from work. If you have a dud, you’ll know very quickly if you treat it like an Indian in India.

The poor reviews are from people who don’t cook, and have sat on the machine for too long.

Thanks. It looks like it's about $125. I'll make a bunch of dosai and pastes when I first get it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Maybe a dumb question but with a rice cooker like the Zojirushi or Tiger, can I make something like spinach, mushroom, rice with chicken stock? Or is it plain rice only?
(edit; after watching a video it's seems the answer is yes because these work exactly like the $20 cookers.)

The reason I ask is the only rice cooker I've used besides those little $20 Aroma pots was a rice steamer we used to have where you put water in the bottom and rice in the top. With it you couldn't use stock because it would gunk up and burn in the bottom. (edit; it was a steamer with separate chambers for water and rice.)

wormil fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Feb 11, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think most Zojis and most smart rice cookers come with a steam tray like the dumb ones

There are plenty of recipes out there for cooking risotto and other wet foods in rice cookers, I think maybe you just need to find one that has better heat distribution if you’re getting overcooked sludge at the bottom (or more liquid, you need plenty of liquid to distribute the heat around)

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 11, 2019

Millow
Apr 30, 2006

some say he's a rude dude with a crude 'tude
I have made all kinds of stuff in my Zojirushi. Mostly grains but I like to do pork shoulder chops and chicken drumsticks sometimes too. I marinate for a day and then just dump it all in there together. Works really nice for breaking down the tougher parts of the meats and if you get the marinade right with enough sugar (I usually use maple syrup or honey) the meat ends up all glazed and it rules.

Also I'll just say that it's been 5 years now and the rice cooker is still easily my favourite piece of kitchen equipment, I've used it like 3 times a week since I got it and it's still as good as it was when I took it out of the box.

Millow fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 11, 2019

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Zojis are amazing; they make rice that's consistently perfect whether it's koshihikari (kinoko or plain), brown rice, long grain white,etc. And they sing to you when they're done.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Rice is great for breakfast and the Zoji will have it perfectly cooked and fluffy upon waking up if you start it the night before. This is because unlike cheap rice steamers, Zojirushi rice cookers (and many other brands) actually lock in the moisture and hold the rice at the correct temperature for long term storage of delicious cooked rice.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I don't have any trouble making rice on the stove but we eat enough rice that a machine might be worthwhile. How are they to clean?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
They have an inner pot that you pull out and wash by hand because most of them are Teflon.

Then if it’s a hinged lid there’s the steam valve which you pop off and wash and then wipe around silicone seals

if it’s a removable lid wash the lid by hand.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Feb 13, 2019

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

The timer setting is my favorite part of my Zoji. It is awesome to set up steel cut oats to be ready when I wake up or rice is ready when I get home from work.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I loving love my zoji and while I’m worried every time I use it bc have an odd feeling I may be getting it all wrong the only time it has been bad is when I massively hosed brown rice measurements up.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

cooked at a rich friend's house this past weekend and I'm in love with their tramontina pro pans. They're so good, way better than the restaurant pans I used to use, and significantly better than the cuisinarts/dollar store non-sticks that I have currently.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any recommendations for a thermometer I can use in a ditch oven for frying food

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Get a Thermoworks Pop if money is an issue or a Thermoworks Thermapen if it isn't. No need to deal with a thermometer being stuck on the side of the pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Are you wanting a leave in probe? Or just something to do spot checks? The DOT is really nice and isn't too expensive if you want a leave in, but the above suggestions are great for spot checks.