Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kurieg posted:

There's nothing in beast worth saving. Every "good" thing that beast does is stolen from another game line. They aren't all in the same place like they are in Beast, but they don't work well together so that's kind of the problem.

If you want to 'salvage' beast you'd have to burn it to the ground and start over to get rid of the slime and the bad connotations and at that point why even bother.

It's this

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think it shows how beloved the WoD is that when a bad game got released fans try to save it somehow.

It's possible to take Beast and do what was done to Changeling where only the non-controversial surface elements are kept, but major underlying organs and features are replaced wholesale with something different and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://wpn.wizards.com/en/article/no-more-msrp-magic-products

quote:

No More MSRP on Magic Products
February 18, 2019 | 1 min to read
Starting with War of the Spark, Wizards of the Coast will stop providing manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for Magic products.

The first goal is consistency. MSRP is disfavored in much of the world, and communication about price varies wildly by region. These inconsistencies obscure our messaging as it concerns pricing in the international Magic community.

The second goal is simplicity. Even in regions where MSRP is preferred, there is a lot of potential for a mismatch between the MSRP and the actual price available in the market. By eliminating MSRP, we eliminate opportunities for confusion over that disparity.

Wizards is a global company, and Magic is a global game—more so every day. As the world Magic community grows, eliminating MSRP will help us maintain a simple, consistent message for our global player base.

Hmm.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
maybethis is a pivot due to how well the new mtg online thing is going

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

ProfessorCirno posted:

they aren't actually donating anything to RAIN, just putting it's name there in hopes you'll draw a connection between them and WotC that doesn't exist. T

Holy poo poo I had to reread the statement because I completely read it like you say, as WOTC donating.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
:laffo: Magic was one of Hasbro's few remaining profitable lines - they had an *abysmal* 2018 - and in response they're going to kill it to try and squeeze out more money. Guess we don't have to worry about Wizards literally pretending to donate to RAIN and not doing it if Hasbro kills them off.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

ProfessorCirno posted:

:laffo: Magic was one of Hasbro's few remaining profitable lines - they had an *abysmal* 2018 -

I hadn't heard their 2018 was so bad. Do you have any more information on this?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ProfessorCirno posted:

:laffo: Magic was one of Hasbro's few remaining profitable lines - they had an *abysmal* 2018 - and in response they're going to kill it to try and squeeze out more money. Guess we don't have to worry about Wizards literally pretending to donate to RAIN and not doing it if Hasbro kills them off.

I’d be interested to know what issues mtg had in 2018. It seems like a bunch of gaming stores will go bankrupt without magic.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

I’d be interested to know what issues mtg had in 2018. It seems like a bunch of gaming stores will go bankrupt without magic.

Yeah, this seems fairly apocalyptic to a lot of brick and mortar

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

DalaranJ posted:

Sorry - MtG did absolutely fine over 2018, which is why they're now going to be butchered, because capitalism is an *extremely* good and efficient system.

It was Hasbro at large that had a terrible 2018. It turns out major toy stores closing down after being themselves butchered for parts really hurts toy sales!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Sorry - MtG did absolutely fine over 2018, which is why they're now going to be butchered, because capitalism is an *extremely* good and efficient system.

It was Hasbro at large that had a terrible 2018. It turns out major toy stores closing down after being themselves butchered for parts really hurts toy sales!

Was gonna post about that

Looking at the Q4 reports from Hasbro, MtG and D&D (with others in aggregate) did well, but other tanked more and drove it all down. It was also affected (or so they say) by the closing of Toys'R'Us
https://investor.hasbro.com/news-releases/news-release-details/hasbro-reports-full-year-and-fourth-quarter-2018-financial

quote:

Full-year 2018 Franchise Brand net revenues decreased 9% to $2.45 billion. Revenue gains in MONOPOLY and MAGIC: THE GATHERING was more than offset by declines in all other Franchise Brands. Franchise Brand revenues grew in the Entertainment and Licensing segment; but declined in the U.S. and Canada and International segments.

Partner Brand net revenues decreased 22% to $987.3 million. Revenue growth in BEYBLADE and MARVEL was more than offset by declines in STAR WARS, DISNEY PRINCESS, FROZEN and TROLLS. Partner Brand revenues decreased in the U.S. and Canada and International segments.

Hasbro Gaming net revenues declined 12% to $787.7 million. DUNGEONS and DRAGONS, DON’T STEP IN IT, CONNECT 4 and JENGA revenues grew, but were more than offset by declines in PIE FACE, SPEAK OUT and other gaming properties. Hasbro Gaming revenues declined in all three major operating segments. Hasbro’s total gaming category revenues decreased 4% to $1.44 billion, including growth in MONOPOLY and MAGIC: THE GATHERING.

Edit: where are you reading that MtG is gonna be butchered though?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
You'll recall too that Wizards started selling direct on Amazon. You can get a box of Ravnica Allegiance for $96.75 with free shipping.
Yeah, I know they can be found cheaper elsewhere.
This isn't the end of the world but nothing they've been doing in the last year has been helping stores make money selling MTG. Stores making money and staying open is how the community grows and stays healthy.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

xiw posted:

Holy poo poo I had to reread the statement because I completely read it like you say, as WOTC donating.

According to one on of the One BookShelf folks in the RPG.net thread wizards is indeed donating their cut off the bundle.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's an incredibly disgusting response because they aren't actually donating anything to RAIN, just putting it's name there in hopes you'll draw a connection between them and WotC that doesn't exist. They are doing actually less then nothing - they're letting someone else do something, and are trying to take credit for it after they assisted zak.
I thought WotC got a cut of everything sold on DMsguild, did I misremember that? I mean, that's kinda scummy to begin with but I presume they're at least donating that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I thought WotC got a cut of everything sold on DMsguild, did I misremember that? I mean, that's kinda scummy to begin with but I presume they're at least donating that.

Wait why is it scummy to take a cut on stuff that is sold using their brand.

Xelkelvos posted:

Edit: where are you reading that MtG is gonna be butchered though?

Also curious about this. I am unfamiliar with a lot of this stuff, so I don't understand how much this affects MtG.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 19, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ehhh probably not worth debating here and my position is probably poorly thought out, but I don't think they should get paid for other people's work, even those other folks get all the cachet and glamour that comes with the dungeons and dragons brand name. It'd be one thing for a fixed fee on using a logo, but to me, a percentage cut is odious.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ehhh probably not worth debating here and my position is probably poorly thought out, but I don't think they should get paid for other people's work, even those other folks get all the cachet and glamour that comes with the dungeons and dragons brand name. It'd be one thing for a fixed fee on using a logo, but to me, a percentage cut is odious.

I really don't think even a percentage is all that bad, but the ~50% all these community content programs take is some real bullshit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am also angry about stores that sell books profiting off their scummy theft of the author's works

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

MonsterEnvy posted:

They're essentially making money and collecting goodwill on a fundraiser meant to help victims of their employees. There's more layers and nuance to it, but that's the short version.

It's gross.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Yeah, the solution seems simple. Go to a lower priced competitor like itch.io, and don't use IP you don't own.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
itch.io is great for rpgs, imo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

moths posted:

They're essentially making money and collecting goodwill on a fundraiser meant to help victims of their employees. There's more layers and nuance to it, but that's the short version.

It's gross.

neaden posted:

According to one on of the One BookShelf folks in the RPG.net thread wizards is indeed donating their cut off the bundle.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I am also angry about stores that sell books profiting off their scummy theft of the author's works
AFAIK, WOTC's cut is separate from the storefront's cut which is still ludicrously high on OneBookShelf. itch.io is much better but doesn't do the print on demand stuff.

Comparing a physical storefront selling physical products to one where you buy PDFs is not really apples to apples - one of them involves the creator selling physical objects to a store for a certain price, and then the store reselling them for a higher price. The creator gets paid when they sell them to the store, there's opportunity cost to shipping them and holding them and displaying them. The other involves the creator uploading their work once, and the storefront distributing as many copies as they can sell for near-zero marginal cost per copy. That is a valid service to run and something worth paying for but they do nothing warranting a percentage take, let alone the ludicrous 30% that OBS takes by default. My understanding is that WotC's cut is on top of that already ludicrous 30%, but it's possible I'm wrong.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

It's gross.

That was not what I was talking about.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AFAIK, WOTC's cut is separate from the storefront's cut which is still ludicrously high on OneBookShelf. itch.io is much better but doesn't do the print on demand stuff.

Comparing a physical storefront selling physical products to one where you buy PDFs is not really apples to apples - one of them involves the creator selling physical objects to a store for a certain price, and then the store reselling them for a higher price. The creator gets paid when they sell them to the store, there's opportunity cost to shipping them and holding them and displaying them. The other involves the creator uploading their work once, and the storefront distributing as many copies as they can sell for near-zero marginal cost per copy. That is a valid service to run and something worth paying for but they do nothing warranting a percentage take, let alone the ludicrous 30% that OBS takes by default. My understanding is that WotC's cut is on top of that already ludicrous 30%, but it's possible I'm wrong.

What do you think would constitute a reasonable take?
I assume the content owners are agreeing to this distribution channel... is this a case where they have some kind of monopoly, so content creators have effectively no ability to find a better deal elsewhere?

In general, what constitutes a reasonable price is not tightly coupled to what a product costs to produce; it is coupled instead to supply and demand, as I'm sure you're aware. If you just have a general objection to that model, I understand, and won't interrogate you further; it just seems like there has to be something more than that going on here, to have raised general ire, and I must be missing an important detail.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I assume the content owners are agreeing to this distribution channel... is this a case where they have some kind of monopoly, so content creators have effectively no ability to find a better deal elsewhere?

In general, what constitutes a reasonable price is not tightly coupled to what a product costs to produce; it is coupled instead to supply and demand, as I'm sure you're aware. If you just have a general objection to that model, I understand, and won't interrogate you further; it just seems like there has to be something more than that going on here, to have raised general ire, and I must be missing an important detail.
I think a service that provides a fixed amount of services should have a fixed price, not a percentage. I don't know what that percentage would be but I'd rather it be non-discriminating in how much the product costs. I am much more okay with percentages being given to folks who negotiated it at the time of creation (artists/layout designers/etc) and for services that genuinely cost money per unit (shipping, to an extent). I understand why they have enough leverage to wrench 30% per PDF downloaded but I don't like it.

I think it probably is a general objection and this one feels more personal and worth wasting space in this thread for because I know people who support or hope to support themselves on RPG book sales. I'll drop it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jaym Gates shares a bit about Holden and Mørke.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No, that's at least coherent, which is more than I deserve after making a flippant, snide remark. I don't particularly agree, but I understand. Thanks for explaining.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Edit: removing my reply cause I just saw the guy wants to drop it and it's not a big deal.

Leperflesh posted:

In this situation there is no monopoly. It's just extra cost the creators are agreeing to so they can use a brand.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 20, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Why, this might tarnish Holden's new role as Leading Light In The Battle Against Darkness In The RPG Community.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Complicated because I'm fairly sure the Arab-American friend they mention is Suleiman.

Though calling him a terrorist sympathizer for being of Palestinian descent instead of admitting he was doing the same thing as Morke is a scummy move though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Complicated because I'm fairly sure the Arab-American friend they mention is Suleiman.

Though calling him a terrorist sympathizer for being of Palestinian descent instead of admitting he was doing the same thing as Morke is a scummy move though.

Correct on both counts.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
woof, yeah.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
WotC Speaks

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/dndstatement

tl;dr, we should not have hired Zak, have no desire to work with him, and we are removing his credit. Also we are donating the proceeds from a bundle to RAINN.

(edit - and I am. Sooo. loving late on this.)

quote:

To all D&D fans,

We spent the last week listening and learning from the D&D community.

Zak Smith, along with many others, was engaged by Wizards to provide feedback on D&D Next, the playtest which evolved into D&D fifth edition. We have not contracted with him since, and regret our choice to do so in 2014. Because of that, we are removing Zak’s credit from future physical printings and digital versions of the Player’s Handbook.

We applaud how the D&D community supports one another and fully support the planned Dungeon Masters Guild bundle raising funds to donate to RAINN (Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network). The bundle is live now and we will be amplifying it going forward!

We are grateful to be a part of this wonderful community, and we thank you for your passion. We remain committed to working with and learning from you, the D&D community. You may always share your comments and thoughts with us on our social media platforms and we are setting up an email address to receive feedback more directly.

Sincerely,
The D&D Team

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Feb 20, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Mearls is a goddamn gently caress covering his own rear end.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

dwarf74 posted:

. Also we are donating the proceeds from a bundle to RAINN.

Except that isn't their bundle. They're just signal boosting in a super skeezy way that makes you think they are doing anything at all

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Didn't Jaym back CAS back when that happened?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

ravenkult posted:

Didn't Jaym back CAS back when that happened?
Yes, and apologises for doing so in the post Old Tree linked.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

fosborb posted:

Except that isn't their bundle. They're just signal boosting in a super skeezy way that makes you think they are doing anything at all

Why do people keep saying this, when it's been explicitly stated earlier in the thread that the money WotC would be getting from the bundle is going to RAINN

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Iirc most of Hasbro's problems are more stockholder related because modern Capitalism is a goddamn disease. They apparently sort of told lies when Tru got turbofucked by Bain and that's like bad n poo poo. (The fact that stockholders are lovely and are ruining Capitalism can probably be ignored here in this case..)

Plus the last Bay TF movie did not exactly light the world on fire, Star Wars is in rear end shape thanks to Disney being clueless, and toys in general losing out to Smart Device Pay to Win poo poo with the kiddies and yeah. Bad times for my favorite toy company/IP hoarder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why do people keep saying this, when it's been explicitly stated earlier in the thread that the money WotC would be getting from the bundle is going to RAINN

Because that's just speculation on our part and WotC didn't actually say they would in that statement of theirs? Unless I missed some tweet from a WotC employee or something, they basically implied that they would donate without actually saying anything of the sort.