Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm on my first doom playthrough and it's so dang fun. Just got the BFG 9000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Everything is DOOM is good.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everything is DOOM is good.

It's so good

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Hammer Bro. posted:

Gross.

Lucky me I got my quasi-legal, vaguely-targeted vengeance: after a whole lot of fiddling I got PSX-FF9 running on my Switch.

Then I patched it to have bonus content.

It's not the character, it's the principle.

I already had a pirated copy of Smash that I'd played for all of 10 minutes but my mother really wanted to get me something for Christmas so I figured a physical copy wouldn't go that badly; I tend to be the local Switch lending library.

Then she got upsold on a thing that I'm already against on principle and then that thing didn't even have all the content that I (naively) assumed justified its existence.

I don't like the direction the industry is heading down. Or I should say I'm sad to see Nintendo playing catch-up.

Ban this guy.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Wait, I bought Smash on launch (digitally), but I hadn't redeemed PP yet. Did I miss out on him?!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

sometimes i gotta just listen to BFG division and rock the gently caress out

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I haven't pre-ordered a game in years but today I did it for Dragon Quest XI S, Super Mario Maker 2, and DQ Builders 2. This is a very good video game system.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Annath posted:

Wait, I bought Smash on launch (digitally), but I hadn't redeemed PP yet. Did I miss out on him?!

If you got the code for the plant and just haven’t redeemed it then it should work. If you didn’t register your physical copy yet then you are too late.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

lol I knew I wasnt the only one. That's the best one on the soundtrack

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Annath posted:

Check your email.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

being against DLC "on principle" is dumb

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Back in my day we bought new challengers and super turbo and we liked it damnit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

romanowski posted:

I can see the argument but Nintendo has been pretty good about it for the most part.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ah, to have the principles of someone who steals a game and then kindly allows his mother to buy him another copy.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
It sounds like the OP is against paying for stuff on principle. Mods, please ban them for probably using a stolen credit card to register their forum account.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

romanowski posted:

Why?

I'm anti-buying DLC piecemeal. I'm in favor of buying GOTY editions since they pretty much always happen. I don't think anyone is against new content, but buying it as an add-on for full price, pass. (Not OP's issue, obviously lol)

e: There are levels to egregiousness with DLC too. poo poo like Mass Effect 3's Prothean DLC being on the upper end.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Feb 19, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Wendell posted:

If you got the code for the plant and just haven’t redeemed it then it should work. If you didn’t register your physical copy yet then you are too late.

I bought it digitally, but I don't recall being given a code.

E: I'm dumb, the code has been in my email since November :downs:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ignite Memories posted:

That is a 10/10 song and the whole soundtrack is one of the most hype things ever. It's the ultimate weights album.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

Why?

I'm anti-buying DLC piecemeal. I'm in favor of buying GOTY editions since they pretty much always happen. I don't think anyone is against new content, but buying it as an add-on for full price, pass. (Not OP's issue, obviously lol)

e: There are levels to egregiousness with DLC too. poo poo like Mass Effect 3's Prothean DLC being on the upper end.

I took it to mean that he thinks DLC is an inherently predatory business practice which I think is an overreaction to earlier DLC things like horse armor and the Prothean DLC, but if it's just like a "I don't want it because I don't want to pay for it" thing then sure whatever

romanowski fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 19, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gamers are the cheapest loving hobbyists of all time.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Because if you're against DLC you're against Piranha Plant and if you're against Piranha Plant you're the devil

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

I bought it digitally, but I don't recall being given a code.

E: I'm dumb, the code has been in my email since November :downs:

yeah it's not exactly well labelled, iirc it's called something like "Thanks for buying Super Smash Bros. Ultimate"

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Mine went directly into the spam folder so I couldn't find it for a while.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

creationist believer posted:

It sounds like the OP is against paying for stuff on principle.

I've got 30-something physical Switch games. I've purchased Shovel Knight three times, and I might do it again when it gets a physical release.

romanowski posted:

Too often they create a perverse incentive for game developers.

Consider the old philosophy of game development: you created the best game you possibly could, then if people liked it you'd get money off of sales and have a more attentive audience if you chose to create a sequel.

Nowadays the model is shifting much more toward freemium games: you make a decent game that's bogged down with tedium or otherwise dangles the promise of goodness just out of reach and make your money off of incremental sales.

There are stronger incentives to create the best base game you can under the first philosophy. I see DLC as an additional shift toward the second philosophy.

Season Passes are a particularly bad example of this because now you're making money off of the implications that you'll probably do something desirable in the future but the end user will save money if they buy it sight-unseen.

I recognize that Nintendo has not done wrong in this department yet, but I still don't like them going down that path. I have no doubt that Smash will have good DLC (Sakurai is a passionate man), though one could argue that the pricing model is still unsavory.

Wendell posted:

Ah, to have the principles of someone who steals a game and then kindly allows his mother to buy him another copy.

I got over my love affair with Smash by the time Brawl came out. I pirated the game to see if I'd enjoy the single-player campaign enough to offer it up as a holiday gift idea were people looking; I wouldn't've touched it otherwise.

It rankles a bit to have my one concrete experience with paid add-ons confirm my world-view that they strongly encourage nickel-and-diming tactics. Especially when those nickels-and-dimes come from a tech-unsavvy old lady.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Pay to win, nickel and dime, words have meaning, holy poo poo

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
DLC is good in Smash's case because it means more fighters as time goes on which is a good thing. Is your preference really to just wait like 4 or 5 years for the next batch of new characters in a whole new game?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Hammer Bro. posted:

Nowadays the model is shifting much more toward freemium games: you make a decent game that's bogged down with tedium or otherwise dangles the promise of goodness just out of reach and make your money off of incremental sales.

sounds like your issue is more with microtransactions and not with DLC proper

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Gamestop is known for pushing its employees to upsell people on a lot of junk, but unless the guy was really browbeating your mom into buying the DLC, mentioning that it exists and saves you money over buying the characters individually is truthful and may even be considered helpful (shocking, I know). It is neither his nor your mom's fault that 1) you don't like DLC on principle, or 2) Piranha Plant isn't part of the season pass and was only free for a limited time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hammer Bro. posted:

Gross.

Lucky me I got my quasi-legal, vaguely-targeted vengeance: after a whole lot of fiddling I got PSX-FF9 running on my Switch.

Then I patched it to have bonus content.

It's not the character, it's the principle.

I already had a pirated copy of Smash that I'd played for all of 10 minutes but my mother really wanted to get me something for Christmas so I figured a physical copy wouldn't go that badly; I tend to be the local Switch lending library.

Then she got upsold on a thing that I'm already against on principle and then that thing didn't even have all the content that I (naively) assumed justified its existence.

I don't like the direction the industry is heading down. Or I should say I'm sad to see Nintendo playing catch-up.

consider the extra few bucks for piranha plant a fine for being a filthy pirate!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DLC is great when it allows devs to create more fun stuff for an already-complete game i.e. Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Darkest Dungeon, etc etc

DLC is loving trash when it serves to gate things that would have otherwise been basic concepts and features and/or nickle and dime you for extremely basic poo poo like stages or music tracks. Best example of this is Street Fighter V which doesn't give you a single loving thing outside of the base roster. Nearly half of the game, stages/characters/tracks/costumes included, is behind a ridiculous amount of paid DLC. On the flipside Capcom's other people in Dev Group 1 provided Resident Evil 2 DLC free of charge so it really depends on the people making poo poo.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Being mad about Piranha Plant reminds me of the time I, after reviewing my receipt, called Babys-R-Us ABSOLUTELY ENRAGED that they did not give me the advertised sale price on Boogie Wipes.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

bah! DLC nothing! in my day devs would release a game and that would be it, and it would be a broken mess, and then a year or two later they’d release the “Special Edition” of the game which added new content and fixed all the bugs, and we had to pay the price of a full game to get access to this content, and dammit we liked it!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

back before DLC was a thing, developers got the game right on the first try and that was all they needed!
*goes back to playing my favorite game, Super Smash Bros Melee, a game with only like 10 characters that function the way they’re supposed to*

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad DLC. you imbecile. you loving moron"

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I had another effortpost typed up but most of the exaggerated responses capture my feelings way better than I suspect they were intended to.

Carry on, thread. Carry on.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Anyone got Steins;Gate Elite? Reviews seem good but I thought I’d ask as it’s £50+ so I can’t decide if I should get it or wait for a sale, maybe I will get Nekopara instead since it’s on sale... I’m kidding.

I’m not kidding, I know it’s trash but it sounds like it’s goofy fun and apparently some players think the censored version is more enjoyable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Steins;Gate is good but it's extremely long. The anime is better because it's basically a truncated version of a, what, 200 hour visual novel? If you want to get the True Ending, you have to see every other ending first iirc

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Ah ok, that’s one thing I was wondering about is the time to money value, being 200 hours actually makes me feel it’d be worth getting now.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Hammer Bro. posted:

So I'm already against DLC on principle. But when my mom was picking up a late-Christmas Smash Bros. at Gamestop, the guy made the pretty easy pitch to her of, "If they like Smash Bros. they're gonna want all the characters. For extra $$ you can get the bundled code which comes with all the characters. They'll cost more otherwise."

Finally got around to taking my system online to play some sweet T99 goodness, figured I'd update my games while I'm at it.

That pay-extra-to-save-money-by-getting-all-the-characters (whomever they may be) thing doesn't actually include the Piranha Plant. And the window for getting it for "free" has closed on me 'cause I didn't go out of my way to fact-check that the thing colloquially described as "all the DLC" in fact included all the DLC.

I'm not even sure I wanna play the game at all anymore.

Worst part is, I registered the DLC that I have not used and may not use just 'cause the receipt it was on was falling apart, so I can't even pawn it off on someone else.

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Anime_Otaku posted:

Ah ok, that’s one thing I was wondering about is the time to money value, being 200 hours actually makes me feel it’d be worth getting now.

200 might be a slight exaggeration https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=9207