Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Somehow always immaculately clean white ones in my experience, I feel like I was cursed at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Brawnfire posted:

Somehow always immaculately clean white ones in my experience, I feel like I was cursed at some point

Yeah, cursed like that snipe ( :) )

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why is it always when I don't quote?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s always people with giant pickups doing that I swear

A few months ago I saw a giant pickup do it at Target and scrape all along the cart corral. It was great.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I've worked at places where it's against company policy to not park nose-out. Like, they will actually pull you out of a meeting to make you go fix your parking job. It's probably just people that work at one of those places parking like that out of habit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I've worked at places where it's against company policy to not park nose-out. Like, they will actually pull you out of a meeting to make you go fix your parking job. It's probably just people that work at one of those places parking like that out of habit.

Wait, why?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I work at a gold mine, and every car park is reverse-parking only. It's so that if we have to evacuate, we're not waiting on people to back out.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Andrast posted:

Wait, why?

I dunno but I would park incorrectly directly before every meeting if I worked there

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Andrast posted:

Wait, why?
And whose job is it to roam the parking lot looking for people parked "incorrectly"?

Memento posted:

I work at a gold mine, and every car park is reverse-parking only. It's so that if we have to evacuate, we're not waiting on people to back out.
I sort of the see the point, but it still seems dubious. Backing out of a parking spot doesn't take that much longer, especially since in a situation like that you'd have to be watching out for tons of people driving by anyway.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Haifisch posted:

And whose job is it to roam the parking lot looking for people parked "incorrectly"?

I sort of the see the point, but it still seems dubious. Backing out of a parking spot doesn't take that much longer, especially since in a situation like that you'd have to be watching out for tons of people driving by anyway.

To your first point, someone will report it in the site-wide hazard alert system, and it will be discussed at the pre-start meeting the next day.

To your second point, I absolutely agree, but I'm not one to rock the boat for inconsequential stuff like this.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Andrast posted:

Wait, why?

To make the job more dehumanizing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If my 5’5” rear end can shift boxes in a cart so the checker can easily scan them, anyone can. They’re boxes in a loving shopping cart, they’re not actually heavy. Don’t make the scanner come round and lift it themselves one-handed.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Have any of you ever had to drive a truck or full sized work van? It is absolutely safer faster and easier backing into a space than backing out of it.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

rodbeard posted:

Have any of you ever had to drive a truck or full sized work van? It is absolutely safer faster and easier backing into a space than backing out of it.

Yeah but we are talking about assholes in SUVs or bro trucks not working folks with box trucks or Econolines

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Rip all the pristine work f250s, all unfairly sighted just after a wash and judged by people who don’t know the struggle of driving a work truck between dorm and bar

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

I've never seen someone park like that and walk out in a store uniform. They are also often gone by the time I get out. It's just a thing people do, I'm not going to assume they have a legitimate reason for doing it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

rodbeard posted:

I used to have lots of meetings with UPS reps, center managers, etc. years ago at our office. Every one of them started as drivers. They all drove big SUVs and they all backed into their spots out of habit. Not a one of them ever pulled in straight. It was hilarious to watch them come in all at once in their identical Expeditions and back into their spots one at a time.

When I questioned it, they would just say that they were so used to backing in from the years of driving package or tractor-trailer that they just didn't feel comfortable pulling in straight. I even asked our rep to pull in straight just for me. He refused. I don't think he even knew how to do it anymore after 25 years at UPS.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It bugs me when people say "51%" to mean "a majority". Petty, but still.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Andrast posted:

Wait, why?

Sometimes it’s to make checking for passes easy.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Or the reverse for slumlord apartments with repo company deals, and megacorp call centers with license plate scanners alike.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The entrances/exits of super markets are a huge peeve of mine. While it's not the doors themselves, it's the people using them. People go through the first part of the airlock, grab a cart, head through the second door and just stop to remove coats, purses, wipe down cart handles, whatever.

Same poo poo happens on the way out, gotta fish the keys out of your pocket/purse, zip up the coat and put your hat back on. Why didn't you do that while you were staring at the poor cashier ringing all your poo poo up?

The worst is when two people who know each other meet at the doors. One person going in, one going out, usually they both have a cart, they stop and start catching up as if there's no one else in the world, you could both go outside and talk, or I don't know call each other sometime.

There are other people behind you who would like to get their shopping done and go home, move aside you loving morons!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Moon Monster posted:

It bugs me when people say "51%" to mean "a majority". Petty, but still.

There’s a shitload of people that don’t understand the difference between plurality and majority

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

The entrances/exits of super markets are a huge peeve of mine. While it's not the doors themselves, it's the people using them. People go through the first part of the airlock, grab a cart, head through the second door and just stop to remove coats, purses, wipe down cart handles, whatever.

Same poo poo happens on the way out, gotta fish the keys out of your pocket/purse, zip up the coat and put your hat back on. Why didn't you do that while you were staring at the poor cashier ringing all your poo poo up?

The worst is when two people who know each other meet at the doors. One person going in, one going out, usually they both have a cart, they stop and start catching up as if there's no one else in the world, you could both go outside and talk, or I don't know call each other sometime.

There are other people behind you who would like to get their shopping done and go home, move aside you loving morons!

Anyone in a pedestrian area who just stops dead to chat/look around/check their phone/etc or worse, starts backing up, should be turned into soylent green.

Same goes for people who park their carts parallel to another, blocking a whole aisle.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug
Sharing a single bathroom with my workmates is really making my blood boil.

I ordered a thing of Poo-Pourri spray for the bathroom since all my male co-workers take their daily dumps at the office. Just seemed like good sense since we all share the facilities (there are 7 of us in total, three ladies and four guys), plus my desk is about 10 feet away from the door.

If you've never used it before, the idea is that you spray a little into the toilet water before you go and it traps the stink. Works great. My other co-workers are good about it, but my boss has no idea how to use this product even though the instructions are printed on the little bottle. He goes first and then uses the spray, which at that point is worthless so my office space smells powerfully like cinnamon-scented poo poo for about 30 minutes. It's every loving day and it's driving me nuts. It's not that loving hard to do, and one day I'm going to end up exploding on him for it. We don't have an HR department or I'd have complained about it ages ago.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Solid Cake posted:

I ordered a thing of Poo-Pourri spray for the bathroom since all my male co-workers all take their daily dumps at the office. Just seemed like good sense since we all share the facilities, plus my desk is about 10 feet away from the door.

If you've never used it before, the idea is that you spray a little into the toilet water before you go and it traps the stink. Works great. My other co-workers are good about it, but my boss has no idea how to use this product even though the instructions are printed on the little bottle. He goes first and then uses the spray, which at that point is worthless so my office space smells powerfully like cinnamon-scented poo poo for about 30 minutes. It's every loving day and it's driving me nuts. It's not that loving hard to do, and one day I'm going to end up exploding on him for it. We don't have an HR department or I'd have complained about it ages ago.

I would get my desk moved.

Solid Cake
Jan 17, 2008

TRAPPED IN QUANTUM CHOCOLATE SINGULARITY!
SEND HELP!
Pillbug

MightyJoe36 posted:

I would get my desk moved.

The only open desk is even closer to the bathroom :saddowns:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's deliberate. Making you smell his poo poo is an alpha move to confirm that he's the boss and you're the underling.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
People defaulting to male pronouns when talking about someone whose gender they don't know. (This is mostly on the internet, where someone's screen name often gives no indication of their gender, but I've also seen it in real life for gender-neutral first names.)

It's 2019. The singular they has been a thing for a long while. Using male pronouns when there's a perfectly serviceable gender-neutral option is dumb and stupid, and besides it can be triggering for some folks. Just use "they", for gently caress's sake.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Mikl posted:

singular they has been a thing for a long while.

Not just a long while. Since 1321. Seven hundred years and it only becomes an "issue" to people with axes to grind against minority populations.

It's not about the bathrooms or pronouns, just like it wasn't about water fountains.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solid Cake posted:

I ordered a thing of Poo-Pourri spray for the bathroom since all my male co-workers take their daily dumps at the office. Just seemed like good sense since we all share the facilities (there are 7 of us in total, three ladies and four guys), plus my desk is about 10 feet away from the door.

He probably just hasn't read the instructions, because who reads the instructions on air freshener? Most people are just used to lysol which I've never seen people use before the poop, let alone spraying it into the water.

Sounds like you need to start leaving passive aggressive notes on the door/in the bathroom about it until HR sends an email out telling people to knock it off. That seems to be the only way to enact change in offices - annoy people until someone else takes care of it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mikl posted:

it can be triggering for some folks

I kind of hate this term now. Not in your post, because you actually used it properly, just in general. It used to be used to denote something that would be mostly innocuous to most people, but could be upsetting to someone due to circumstance or a past traumatic event or something. Now people mostly use it as a general term to mean they don't agree with someone. See also: liberal.

You are triggered! Eat poo poo snowflake! I am not owned!!

Also I'd rather smell poo poo than smell Poo-Pourri.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People who find it off-putting when you are devoted to your job and are willing to put in extra unpaid time to get things done. I'm trying to make a good first impression here, but people keep saying that finishing jobs they give you 2-3 weeks to do in a few days is bad. If the job is done correctly then why is it a bad thing?

I know it can be annoying as a code leader to delegate tasks and have someone keep asking for something else to do, but I feel like if i'm finishing jobs too quickly, give me something harder. I'm not going to drag my feet. I need an overwhelming sense of urgency to be productive, my mind doesn't have a "relaxed pace" function.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

If the job is done correctly then why is it a bad thing?

It devalues everyone else for no gain on your part. The entire point of going to work is to get paid, the second I stop getting paid is the second I let whatever is in my hands drop to the floor and walk out.

Your mindset is good if it's a small business, but in anything with a significant number of employees you're just making everyone else's job harder for no reason.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Feb 20, 2019

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mikl posted:

People defaulting to male pronouns when talking about someone whose gender they don't know.

Kinda in the same vein, but we just got our first ever male dog after decades of female only, and my parents can. not. stop using female pronouns every single time they reference him. ive been correcting them for two weeks but its like second nature to them and requires actively trying to remember. Its not at all the same as to a person, but its very annoying to me the constant misgendering of my dog. When i come across new dogs, i refer to them with they and them until it becomes obvious, but sometimes its like they aren't even trying. Maybe they are trying to annoy me, who knows. Don't give the dog a complex.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It devalues everyone else for no gain on your part. The entire point of going to work is to get paid, the second I stop getting paid is the second I let whatever is in my hands drop to the floor and walk out.

Your mindset is good if it's a small business, but in anything with a significant number of employees you're just making everyone else's job harder for no reason.

Well as a new guy I don't feel like I've earned the right yet to only work the hours I bill and nothing else. I guess it's a bad habit I inherited from academia where hours per week is just a joke and even if it says 40 hours a week in your contract the real expected number is more like 80+.

I guess the signal i'm trying to send is: crack the whip as hard as you want, I'll do it if it means I can keep this job. Maybe my attitude will change once i've proven myself fully, but I haven't yet imho.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Every place I've ever worked has fired people that spent extra time at work, so doing it on purpose is bizarre to me.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

for the record, I don't tell them I did. And the extra time in these cases has been minimal. None of the jobs they have given me would take any reasonable person the time they estimated.

Unless they tell me they are willingly defrauding the government by sandbagging ourselves intentionally, i'm not going to take longer to finish a thing than it actually takes me.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Well if it's a government contract the fraud is built into the price.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It's just such a weird attitude that doing things fast is bad. Even if I hadn't worked a little extra and confined it within standard work hours, I would have still beaten the time estimate by weeks. Like the last job was given to me friday at around 2pm and was told it was a few weeks scale project, i worked on it a couple hours friday, several hours monday which was technically a holiday, and finished it by the end of the day today. That's all - I didn't touch it friday night-sunday. I'm not talking about tens of unpaid hours here.

If I get fired for doing my job, then that will be my new pet peeve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Don't do unpaid work imo